Fat Cat Travellers Community Reviews

2A Sherrybrooke Place, Auckland, New Zealand

The best Backpackers we stayed at in NZ. We felt welcome, we loved meeting like minded travellers, the atmosphere was friendly and relaxing. Very comfortable. Loved it

• 18th Jan 2016
  • Couple, 41+

Beautiful place! Fav hostel in Nz! Everyone is so welcoming and you are like a family. Free brekki and dinner in exchange of little task like drying dishes. Excellent hostel!

• 18th Jan 2016

I stayed in a 6 bed dorm in the hostel and it was great. My bed was comfortable and I could unpack my things under my bed. The atmosphere is awesome as everyone is so friendly. The vegan breakfast & dinner is amazing and free, all you have to do is pick a chore at random which is fun like making fruit salad for the next day. The wifi was FREE and perfect. Very clean, hot showers, places to cook food & a huge garden to explore. Very close to the train station. Definitely recommend!

A good place to meet people traveling around new zealand.

• 31st Dec 2015

This is not just a hostel, but a small friendly community. Out of town, close to the railway station, 30 min walking distance from Sunnyvale mall, in a quite area. Free vegan breakfast and dinner in exchange of little tasks (washing dishes, help preparing breakfast, etc), free wifi in the common area, few showers and toilets (2 eco ones!), and 2 washing machines (the free one is powered by you cycling!). Accomodation in a bed, in a van, or in a tent. Possibility of woofing. I'm enjoying my stay!

I LOVED my stay here. Everything was awesome. I wish I could have stay longer!

• 12th Dec 2015

It's hard to evaluate this backpackers because it is very different than usual backpackers. It uses plenty of ecological alternatives to save power and reduce pollution. For instance, you can cycle to spin your laundry machine, use water heated by compost, use dry toilets, and so on. So you won't have the comfort you have in others backpackers, but you will forget about it because you'll have so much fun there ! The free Wi-fi, breakfast and dinner are good assets too. One of the best in NZ.

Thaaaaankyou!!! we love that you loved this place!! yes. ecological is what we value, and have lots of fun with inventing mnay great projects! food ans a big shared meal at the end of the day are just as wonderful for us as for our guests :) :) have a wonderful trip and enjoy beautiful NZ!!! :) :)

Such a cosy lovely place where everyone helps out a little bit for the free breakfast and dinner. Friendship and family is in the air.

It wasn't too bad, fairly expensive to get to via public transport. Everyone was nice but it was pretty crowded. We were expecting some nice areas to go for walks as it is quite far out but there is no where very nice to walk around. Dinner and breakfast provided was really nice. Overall it was fine but very different from a usual hostel, not sure that I'd recommend it

Hi! glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and really liked the food! Yes, we love that we are very different from a usual hostel! Starting with a cup of tea and introducing everyone by name , unfortunately is not usual in hostels today :( but its still usual here! A shame you missed out on all the great walks!!!! We are 15 minutes walk from Auckland largest national park!! from there you can hike for up to five days in NZ's wonderful bush and forest. Great, enjoy your holiday!!

Super place, I would like to come back there for sure although it's a little bit far away from the city center..

• 28th Oct 2015

Thanks!!! Thanks for your great review!! We would love to have you back also :) :) Thanks for staying with us, it was great to have you :) :) yes, we love that we are 30 minutes form the city center, we don't like the concrete jungle!! we prefer the peace and quiet and that we can ride a bicycle and in 15 minutes be in the farms and the forest :) :) have a wonderful trip in NZ :) :)

I truly feel hard pressed to find another hostel with such amazing people and vibes as this one. I would absolutely love to stay here again next time I'm staying in the area

• 19th Sep 2015

:) :) :) :)

Best Hostel I've stayed at! Perfect for solo travelers and people traveling with companions. The people are so warm and welcoming. Beds are so comfortable, lots of space to relax. It has a very laid back atmosphere I will definitely be staying here again. I miss it already. It's in a great location to get to places off the beaten path if you have a car or wanna try hitch-hiking, locals are very friendly!

Vegan food, awesome atmosphere, free chickens running around outside, I just loved it. It's cosy and made with love and it's more like a big friendly community than like a typical hostel.

Excellent hostel, one of the best I ever have in life. People there are super amazing. If you would love to meet some good friends , this is the place ! Thanks every Fatcat backpackers for making my trip super awesome !

I enjoyed the staff's friendliness. The two meals that came with the cost of the stay was healthy. It was interesting to share in the chores by pulling straws. Being early winter, getting hot water for a shower took a long time to warm up, and there was no hot water to wash dishes. Internet wifi was provided, but being there for 2 days, all that was given was 30mb, really not much.

A great place to relax if you're stressed out take a day or two to unwind befor going on an adventure. it will set the tone for the rest of your trip and put your mind in the right place for traveling and remind you that it isn't always about pushing yourself to see everything as quickly as possible but that it is also important to unwind relax and live

• 5th May 2015

The staff and guest were very friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was conducive for meeting quality people. The work shops were fun and informative. Unfortunately someone walked off with my pair of Keens which cost me quite a lot to replace at Kathmandu.

This is pretty much a hippy commune,and if your up for that kind of thing you will love it. The atmosphere is so intoxicating and positive you cant help but be happy. Only issue is the lack of loos and showers when there are lots of residents but that's the only setback. Amazing food, great music, best people.

Amazing community of woofers and backpackers. Atmosphere sucks you in with all the positivity. Great place to meet open-minded people and eat excellent veggie foods. If you want to party and eat food from grease factories, don't come here!

Once you arrive, you don't want to leave! Really an amazing, special place to stay!

• 27th Feb 2015