Fat Cod Backpackers Reviews

9 Auckland Street, Picton, New Zealand

It's very close from the ferry terminal and easy to find. They gave us free 100 mb wifi code. If you want hot shower, you should push red button every 8 min.

Was a simple 10 minute walk from ferry terminal and it felt like home. Such a lovely, warm, cosy and friendly hostel I have stayed in so far. Can be very noisy thou after 9pm when I wanted to sleep in early. A lot of people upstairs walking about heavy on their feet. It seems like the guy was doing fire alarm testing in bedroom, when he could see I was trying to sleep :( Loved the 100MB free WiFi thou, was plenty for me for the night :-)

It was a really nice place to stay. So convenient being close to where the Intercity buses were stopping. Really nice town, very relaxing!

Friend staff, well maintained and clean. Ideally situated for the Queen Charlotte trail. Lockers provider if you want to leave your bags.

We booked a 4 b ed-family room since the price was the same at the website as a 4-bed dorm. When we arrived it urned out to cost a lot more in the family room since we were only with 3, not 4. The website of hostelworld is misleading. We couldn't get our deposit back and booked the dorm cause it turned out to be much cheaper.

• 9th Jan 2015
  • Belgium

Hi, I have had a look at the booking system and for the family room it gives the price per person as if there is four in a room. It also does, however, put the full price in ($112) at the bottom for the total cost no matter how many guests you put in. In other words the Family room is charged at a room price NOT a per person price. You could have between 1 and 4 in this room and it would still be the same price, $112.

Chris and Manager are there for the guests. Too many bad experiences with the rest of the staff. Can't fit it all here. You are directed to the I-side for hikes and the memorial on a from the hostel has to be googled. You work in PICTON not PARIS. It ain't that big! Almost all staff work, especially the cleaners, work for acco and only that, no involvement at all. Cleaning is done for accommodation and guests are basically in their way. Could say a lot more, but there is no space.

What a shame you have had a bad experience with us as we pride ourselves on providing as much help to guests as we can. For example we helped you find your toilet bag even though you choose to be abusive and use disgusting language towards my staff. I am happy to discuss the matters you refer to in your comments via email if you like as we do like our guests to have a good experience with us and therefore welcome the chance to talk with you.

Well, this was a fascinating hostel. It's like stepping into a time warp with VHS tapes and 90s furniture in the common area. The showers save energy by being on a timer they claim is 8 minutes - a bit annoying when it clicks out early and you are still covered in soap and have to go outside to click it on again. They have a sign saying they apologise for the bathrooms and plan to renovate them in September or October, but the sign looks like it has been there a while...

The staff seemed confused about their jobs and the atmosphere could have been better. Location is good for the ferry.

Looks a bit run down but has all the necessities.

Great place to stay, location excellent for town and ferry terminal. The hostel was exceptionally clean and a very pleasant place to stay.

Cozy little place.

Overall a good hostel really near the ferry port. All the signs listing rules everywhere

I stayed for one night. Staff was friendly and helpful, gave me some advice about walks. The hostle seemed pretty clean to me. And it is a short walk forn the ferry terminal.