Fat Cod Backpackers Reviews

9 Auckland Street, Picton, New Zealand

Found it a bit strange that there wasn't a power outlet in my room but very happy with everything else.

Only stayed a night, but what I noted was: - It is well situated close to the Interislander ferry terminal. - It was cheap. - The wi-fi didn't work on my computer. - The showers where quite small, with not enough hooks for clothes (only one plastic hook per showers, most of them broken)

This hostel has nothing to it particularly and really needs completely overhauling and updating! There is free wifi and the location is excellent - right next to the ferry terminal and a minute from the town centre - which makes it the perfect hostel for an overnight stay in Picton if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep before you catch your ferry. Otherwise, I would say there are better hostels in Picton! This one lacks atmosphere and is a little chilly - although does supply free soup!

Good location Good security Good facilities

The best thing about this hostel is that it is opposite the i-site and bus stop and a very short walking distance from the ferry terminal, so it's great for a one night stop over. It also provides free internet and breakfast (bread and jam). It was also clean. Downsides are.... the kitchen is small and the staff were not very friendly or informative. We had to ask about breakfast and other freebies advertised. The free soup was horrible. We didn't feel welcome there at all.

Very quaint hostel with comfy beds and clean facilities.

Stayed in dorm located under the kitchen and dining area, got pretty noisy in the early mornings and sometimes at night.

It's very close from the ferry terminal and easy to find. They gave us free 100 mb wifi code. If you want hot shower, you should push red button every 8 min.

Was a simple 10 minute walk from ferry terminal and it felt like home. Such a lovely, warm, cosy and friendly hostel I have stayed in so far. Can be very noisy thou after 9pm when I wanted to sleep in early. A lot of people upstairs walking about heavy on their feet. It seems like the guy was doing fire alarm testing in bedroom, when he could see I was trying to sleep :( Loved the 100MB free WiFi thou, was plenty for me for the night :-)