Favela Chic Hostel Reviews

Rua Major Raul de Mattos, 78, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil

Our stay in Favela Chic was awesome. We were warmly welcomed by Nik the hostel owner who got straight into giving us all the info we could possibly need about the area and the falls as well as crossing into Argentina. The rooms were clean and spacious. The chill out area and hostel in general were a great place to come back to after lots of walking around the falls. Best of all was Nik's delicious Hungarian goulash evening meal! We were defeated after thirds! Get yourself there!

This really is like a favela - chipboard walls and a corrugated metal roof! We were in a private room which was outside from the main hostel building - there was no lock on the door and no AC. Staff were friendly and helped us with arranging a taxi to cross over the border into Argentina.

plus: great atmoshphere, great staff, kitchen is reasonable equipped, breakfast is fine, nice common area. minus: it rained on my bed, there is only one bathroom for about twenty people so we had to wait forever in the morning and it is outside the building so you get wet if its raining and its dark at night.

We do everything we can to repair the roof when there are problems during torrential rainfalls. Unfortunately the workmanship in Brazil leaves a lot to be desired, but we are constantly striving to improve this. I am embarrassed that this guest had rainfall on her bed. Our cheap dormitory does only have one bathroom available. It is very basic and is designed for travellers on a tight budget. There are 2 bathrooms available in the more expensive dormitory which also has air conditioning.

very friendly staff, great atmosphere and good and cheap caipirinhas!

• 13th Jan 2014
  • Belgium

Absolutely loved my stay at Favela Chic. It's a great little hostel with a hippy vibe. Love the swimming pool and hammocks. The smaller dorm has no air con or fan and it's very squishy, I'd recommend going for the larger dorm. Staff were super helpful and friendly.

• 25th Nov 2013

All of the favela, with none of the chic. Very disappointing, two many beds too few facilities most of which require people to walk through the main dorm. The air con was unable to cool the room down, hence it was like trying to sleep in an oven. No where to put your stuff. Really badly organised. If your organising a tour in the Argentinian side, book it elsewhere, or better still just take the local buses. In summary stay somewhere else, to avoid the disappointment.

Nice place. Great wi-fi, pretty good breakfast, nice bar and outdoor area. Close to supermarket and easy to get to bus heading to the Iguazufalls. Helpful staff aswell, we liked it!

One of the staff, who's name I didn't get, was really helpful and friendly - he even booked my bus ticket for me and any questions I had he was happy to answer. Without him my stay would have been awful. But overall the hostel is shabby. The beds are tiny, and although I booked an 8 bed, I was put in a 13 as the 8 dorm was unavaliable (probably something they should say on the site). Someone then stole my bed while I as out and the staff were completely unhelpful in sorting it out.

View all Foz do Iguacu Hostels