Fawlty Towers Reviews

216s Musi o Tunya Road, Livingstone, Zambia

We stayed at this hostel while visiting Victoria Falls and doing a Safari. The staff was amazing and helped with everything. The pool is perfect to come back to and jump in after a long, hot day. There was a supermarket, pharmacy and banks just across the street.

Contrary to the nearby Victoria Falls the shower was not more than a trickle.

• 2nd Dec 2014

A lovely relaxing stay. We will certainly return and recommend to friends. Many thanks Jerry & Marinda White

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

I have stayed several times now at Fawlty Towers and really appreciate the friendliness, courtesy and honesty of the staff. I am certainly recommending Fawlty Towers to people visiting Livingston. This time we stayed in November and it was a true oasis once you walked through the front doors. The swimming pool was great! Even the mangoes from the trees were a big treat. I forgot my solar charger outside overnight and was pleasantly surprised when Aston asked around to find the owner! Thanks

• 26th Nov 2014

A nice courtyard setup with rooms all around the edges and a pool in the middle. Restaurant and bar both good. Wifi free. The room was lovely with a great mosquito net and air con. Thoroughly recommended.

Lovely atmosphere, great value for money - there is a pool and fairly good free wifi. The food is reasonably priced and not too bad at all, plus there is a kitten! My biggest gripe was with the reception staff, who seemed uninterested and only friendly because they felt obliged. There were some times that I had to drag myself down to reception to ask for a meal voucher or to extend my stay and felt awkward doing so as they always seemed to act like my presence was an inconvenience. Shame.

Great value for the money. Probably the best budget option in town. Helpful staff, good facilities, good location, airport pickup a big plus. Would stay again.

loved the pleasant shopping centre (incl bank) right opposite the hostel, also free coffee/tea/pancakes/10am shuttle to falls, friendly staff, good food decent priced, Livinstone feels safe, 3min down road to Cafe Zambezi (fab restaurat with great cocktails)

• 11th Nov 2014

Thanks so much for the lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here. With best wishes, Elissa GM

One fantastic staff member and one terribly rude one. Otherwise was great.

• 5th Nov 2014

Thank you very much for taking time to review us and thank you for your very high scores with regard to our facilities, value for money, cleanliness and security. 5 out of 5 is fabulous, thank you, and we are chuffed to receive 4 out of 5 for location and atmosphere. I am disappointed to hear that you experienced rudeness from one of our staff members. Apologies for this, I will look into it. Glad you enjoyed yourself otherwise. With best wishes, Elissa GM

It´s not bad but it could be so much better. Maybe adding air conditioner to all rooms, and not closing the bar at 11 could help.

• 2nd Nov 2014
  • Colombia

I am sorry to hear we did not meet your standards. We are usually rated as one of the best backpackers in Africa. Unfortunately, we have to obey the laws & close the bar at the appropriate time & we also prefer to offer our guests a more peaceful environment to sleep in. However, there are plenty of night clubs close by should a guest wish to continue an evening. Our rooms without air conditioning are $10 cheaper. Guests can book rooms with a/c if required (incl luxury suites). :-)

Enjoyed our stay, please wash the paving around the pool. The pool towels also needs to be replaced. The bar never had ice, we had to collect ice from the restaurant ourselves. And please clean the fridges in the communal kitchen.

• 18th Oct 2014
  • South Africa

Thanks for the positive criticism, it helps us to improve. It's mango season & the fruit bats eat the mangoes & unfortunately,make a mess of the pavers - It's an ongoing daily battle until the season is over. I am not sure which towels you are referring to as we don't provide pool towels. During hot months, Livingstone can run out of ice - I expect we were unable to get a supply at the time. Fridges are now clean. It can be difficult when they are full of guest's supplies. Best wishes, Elissa

We had a wonderfull stay in Fawlty Towers where the staff did as much as possible to make our holiday great !

• 18th Oct 2014
  • Belgium

Thanks very much for the great feedback. We are pleased to hear you had a good time with us. With best wishes, Elissa - GM

We had a very pleasant stay at this hostel. Kitchen was very nice and clean. Pool and garden was also beautiful. There is a very good supermarket on the other side of the road. Only negative point: we had a private room for 4 persons and this room is too small to storage the luggage for 3 persons. It was also too hot to sleep there with 3 persons.

• 17th Oct 2014

Thanks for your lovely review. I am sorry to hear you were uncomfortable in the 4 bed ensuite. It is very hot in Livingstone at the moment, but will cool down soon. We have rooms to suit all budgets. The cheapest private rooms and the dorms do not have a/c. We have basic standard rooms that do have a/c & our Deluxe Suites would definitely have done the trick with lots of space and aircon. The Deluxe suites rival any room in a smart hotel and are currently priced at only $65per room per night.

I was very impressed with the efficiency of the staff. at 07:00 we all woke up to no water (hot or cold). Apparently the water pump had 'died'. We went off to Vic Falls for a few hours and when we returned at 10:30, running water had been restored ... In less than 3 hours!

• 16th Oct 2014
  • South Africa

Thanks for this great feedback and thank you for tolerating our water issue during your stay. We have a great team of staff who is very dedicated and so yes, we had our water back in no time. Thanks again for the review. With best wishes, Elissa - GM

The day I arrived I did not feel welcomed by two staff members ; however, the following days these same two people were very friendly and accommodating. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day. Everyone was very helpful during my stay and my room was exceptionally clean. The meals were fantastic, though they were too large! I always felt safe.

• 11th Oct 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased to hear you felt safe here and our facilities exceptionally clean and our meals good. I am sorry to hear you felt your initial reception was not a very warm one but I am glad our staff made up for it and were friendly and helpful during your stay. I expect we are currently overwhelmed with the hot October and find ourselves getting a little ratty in the heat. Thanks again for reviewing us. With best wishes, Elissa

Very supportive in organizing activites in the area (walk with lions) or the transfer to Kasana, Botswana

• 5th Oct 2014
  • Austria

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad you found us supportive in organising things for you. Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We wish you well on your travels to your next destination. With best wishes, Elissa GM

all rooms should have air con - 6 sleeper dorm in summer was too hot

• 1st Oct 2014
  • South Africa

Hi there. Thank you for your review. We try to keep our dorm prices low (currently just $8 per bed) & to do so, we have to keep it simple ie: just fans. But, for any guest on a larger budget, we do have private air conditioned suites available. Besides the heat (October is a scorcher), we hope you enjoyed your stay & at least had a dip in the pool. With best wishes, Elissa

very happy with the room and service. would stay here again.

• 20th Sep 2014

Thanks for your positive and succinct review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. With best wishes, Elissa

I stayed here a few years ago and liked it then, but they've built some beautiful new private rooms, where I stayed this time. It's a good place to rest or hang out after a day of being a tourist.

• 17th Sep 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Hi there. We are always chuffed when we have returning guests. I am sure you have seen huge changes in Fawlty Towers since you were last here . We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will visit again sometime. With best wishes, Elissa

The men behind the bar and the gate we're very helpful. During our stay the staff made a lunch with the employers, great for the team spirit, but for the guests not all the facilities were there during this day. Normally when a company is doing such things, they have a backup team. So keep the guests satisfied. Other thing, when people do a tour and want their luggage kept secure at the reception, be sure there is someone at the time people leave. Pickup time 7:00, reception starts at 7:15.

• 14th Sep 2014

We are glad to hear you found our bar/reception &security staff helpful. After a long & tiring peak season, we throw a party for staff to show our appreciation. This unfortunately does mean that there is skeleton staff on duty. It only happens one afternoon a year, but I am sorry it inconvenienced you. With regard to keeping luggage, it would be better to make arrangements the night before as our reception does only open at 7h15. Thanks for the feedback. With best wishes, Elissa