Finnegan's Hostel Reviews

17 Denny Street, Kerry, Tralee, Ireland

Really good location and cheap. However there is no security at all, no locks on the doors and easy for someone to just walk in. There is no common room or place to hang out. The hostel is also a tea rooms so the kitchen can't be used to make your own breakfast (although breakfast is provided).

Shared kitchen is used for commercial cafe during the day, so you have access only after 18:00. Staff was late to make breakfast, despite an agreed upon time, and we had t leave for our train before we it was available. Did not get our $$ back from the breakfast charge (which is extra).

• 27th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

its unusual because its also a restaurant during the day,so hostelers only get to use kitchen after 6.30pm,and cooking stuff seemed to be in another kitchen.The communal room was out of bounds when I was there as tea was being served to a funeral group.For 10 euro a night it was okay,its centrally located and breakfast was enjoyable.I would stay there again

• 22nd Aug 2014

The bedroom was full of flies and wasp's. We weren't 10 mins in the room when 1 friend got stung. I would not stay there again.

• 17th Aug 2014

Worst hostel ever! We had a booking for a dorm, we paid the deposit, then we arrived the woman said we have to pay 17€/each, instead of 7€/each.After all this we didnt get any keys to the room, you dont get anything to prove you really paid for it. Security is a joke, anyone can just walk in and out,no reception,no computer only a paper! That dorm was horrible.I couldnt sleep coz one man just walked in and out all night into our room to use the toilet. He always woke me up. I dont recomment it

Got to the hostel and they said they didnt have my booking as they dont take bookings online, even though I had the hostel world printout and all the paperwork. They tried to chrage me double the price. Couldnt even get my deposit back as they said that money went to the online site not them. I left and went somewhere else. Tralee is not a great town anyway - go to Galway ot Killarney - so much better

Hi Hanah I dont remember you and all our bookings are mostly done on line, so you could be getting us mixed up with another hostel as this happens when people are travellling , We never charge double the price if you see our prices we are the cheapest hostel in Ireland and a complimentary breakfast is included, And we have been voted no 6 out of best 10 between Ireland and UK, Thank you Eileen.

The place looks nice when you walk in, but the rooms are not ideal and the beds are uncomfortable. They overbooked my room and had people sleeping on the floor. However, the breakfast was great! Castle hostel is much better and more worth the money.

A nice place, we enjoyed our stay in a private double room. Clean and great breakfast with crepes!

Most definitely the worst hostel we have ever stayed in. A number of problems but by far the worst thing was the extreme smell of an unknown chemical in our room when we returned after a night out. Another couple staying there also had this strong smell in their room. Unable to contact the hostel owner for advice and ended up sleeping in a dorm room instead of private. Hostel owner rude and unhelpful. I would be concerned about health and safety staying here. Avoid at all costs.

This place is terrible! Maybe it's better in a private room, but the dorms are are possibly the worst I've been in. They do not give you a key to the room or building and the staff seems to have no clue about how anything works. We felt quite uncomfortable leaving our stuff while we were out. We had to beg for a towel as they don't rent those anymore. They rented out a bed on the floor in the middle of the room at midnight. Fire hazard? Location and breakfast are great, but avoid this place!!!

Thank you for your comment, we do try to do our best for what you paid 10 euros along complimentary tea, coffe and pancake, the reason the girl stayed on the floor was it was the bank holiday weekend and she arrived late without knowing it would be so busy so we were kind enough to make a bed for her, and not let her on the street as she was from Germany and had no where to go, we have some on the door from 9 to 5 in the morning, for the price I think this pretty good, Eileen.

Free Breakfast after 9 am was in the beautifull tearoom downstairs. Choice between a warm waffle with syrup and cream or toast. Lovely end to my stay at Finnegans. Didnt use kitchen. Kitchen can only be used after 6pm. Rooms are clean and nicely decorated. Beds are very ccomfortable. Unfortunately no luggage storage and can't lock room so dont leave valuables in room. Location is central, quiet and across the beautiful rose garden

It have spent some great days in the finnegan's hostel. One of my best hostel I have ever been.

• 9th Jun 2014

we found the owner to be extremely pleasant and helpful!! she checked on us two or three times to see if there was anything she could help with. The house itself was positively beautiful, and only a few minutes walk from the bus station. A super plus was having the toilet in the same room as us, no going down a hall to shower and ready for the day/night. I am an adult female, and was traveling with my 18 yr. old daughter. so two groups below should qualify

• 3rd Jun 2014

I was surprise by the management of the hostel. Nobody was here to help me. When I found someone, this person didn't give me information about the hostel (like keys, WiFi, facilities ...). The dorm was suppose to be unlocked and this is a very unsecured solution. And after the door was locked and I was unable to enter in my room. For me it was a total mess I leave on the first day.

• 25th May 2014

Thank you for your comment but we are confused as we check in everyone and give them the run and inoformation on everything so maybe you were tired and did not listed which can happen when you are travelling, kind regards Eileen.

The hostel bedrooms were open. The hostel owner did not want to give me a key for the door!! Everyone was able to gain access to my room! At one morning, suddenly there was a foreign man standing in my room! That was scary! And at the breakfast I heard from a neighbour table that the purse of another man incl. money has been stolen during the night!!! Fortunately, nothing from my things were stolen! Hopefully today they won't go on saying, that everything is so save and that no keys were needed!

some of the staff were not so friendly. one staff member told me not to come in drunk and told me the door is locked at twelve midnight. I laughed and told her I may be a little later than that. I got a code for the door to get in but this did not work. there was a male member of staff to let me in. Basic but that's all I wanted, so very pleased.

• 20th May 2014

Everything was wonderful ! Beautiful rooms, GREAT breakfast, nice staff !

• 4th May 2014