Fish Tank Lodge Reviews

86 West End, Kaikoura, New Zealand

Clean and comfy rooms, beds, and facilities. A very calm hostel wih a chill vibe right across from where the buses come and go and next to the beach. Great view from the deck. Would definitely stay again!

It was a friendly, well located and clean hostel. I really recommend it, I had the best time. They vacuum all the common areas of the hostel everyday, and the staff it's always willing to help you during your stay. But if you don't like small hostels where everyone knows each other, then it's not the hostel for you... I loved the fish tank Lodge! And if I ever go back to Kaikoura I'll definitely book there.

• 20th Jan 2015
  • Argentina

Nice location, nice common room, a balcony. Fun fish paintings on the walls. Friendly staff. Overall a good stay, didnt really spent much time at the hostel except sleeping.

When i walked towards it i was shocked.. it looks really bad from the outside. But once you are in, it is nice and comfy.

I had a wonderful stay at the Fish Tank Lodge. The only negatieve thing is that I didn't get back my key deposit and no reply on an email I sent about it.

Really enjoyed my stay here. I was a bit skeptical at first as the outside didn't look as nice as the picture but once inside it was awesome. The bedrooms were nice and clean. Kitchen and bathrooms were spotless. Nice big lounge. FREE wifi that works properly! Staff are really friendly and more than happy to help you. Would definately stay here again as it was also nice and peaceful :-)

Great location and very clean - especially the kitchen, which is rare. I did find it hard to meet people though, perhaps due to the time of year (I was the only one in my dorm room on Christmas eve)

Great hostel, super friendly staff!

Lovely Place to Stay :)

• 18th Dec 2014

Nice hostel with friendly staff. Close to all shops and activities. Great location for the inter city bus and I site.

Really nice hostel located right in the middle of town. They also have a nice kitchen and lounge area. The outdoor deck is a nice place to chill after a day of activities with beautiful views of snow capped mountains and the ocean. Would definitely recommend staying here.

• 5th Dec 2014
  • India

Clean, good kitchen and lounge, decent showers. Wifi is a bit intermittent and room 5 has a skylight with no blind so you wake up with dawn unfortunately! Excellent location. Atmosphere is alright although it was quiet when I was there so not much going on.

Very helpful staff, very clean, great internet connection and the most comfortable bed I've slept in so far in NZ. Showers were a little cramped but manageable.

Great. We booked two nights and ended up staying five!

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Denmark

Great location (barely had to walk from bus stop) and best place to stop in Kaikoura. On the main street with everything just a bit of a walk to good supermarket, although the hostel has free bikes to get there. Fantastic views from the balcony and good facilities throughout. Staff were amazing and very helpful and friendly. Good recommendation for the ice cream too!

Best hostel my friend and I have stayed in.

Lovely place, ideally located and very friendly and helpfull people. They seemed to genuinely care about us enjoying our stay. I would recommend without hesitation.

• 1st Oct 2014

Bathrooms and kitchen were good, common area was empty (winter) but well equipped, dorm rooms were tight but comfortable. Location is very central. Generally a good hostel, with some good ideas, but it seems like recent repairs and modifications are a bit shoddy. Could be excellent, particularly during the warmer months, so give it a try and make up your own mind. Oh, the receptionist/owner's girlfriend is also a Kiakoura iSite employee and has good tips for local area activities, which is handy

Good hostel, nice staff and free wifi!

LOVED Kaikoura and LOVED Fish Tank!! The best nights sleep Ive had since leaving home 7 weeks ago. Free wifi with great connection. The Intercity bus literally drops you outside the door and it overlooks the ocean. Located on the Main Street but still quiet. Wonderful showers. I wish I had more time in Kaikoura-My favorite city in NZ so far. Absolutely stunning views! Looks like Hawaii but a bit colder obviously. Hire bikes for the day and go to the Peninsula and see the seals & do a whale tour!