Fish Tank Lodge Reviews

86 West End, Kaikoura, New Zealand

Great hostel, had lots of fun here. Right next to the beach, Peninsula Bay walk right around the corner.. Atmosphere in the hostel was great as well.

Great location and communal rooms are interestingly decorated. I was able to park the car easily and walk to where I wanted to go in the town. The balcony has beautiful views.

• 1st Feb 2016

Good place to stay in kaikoura, really clean! Really quiet though and the room was really tiny. No network in some.

Private double was small, had difficulty moving around with our bag in the room. Room smelt rather damp. But nice relaxed vibe and lively balcony area.

Central Location in Kaikoura, across the road from the beach. Friendly staff. Great common room. 10 minute walk away from the whale watching and kayaking.

Really helpful staff - very accommodating and understanding of plans changing - no problem to change number of nights stay etc . Very easy to meet people as one central hang out area. Amazing location for intercity bus - as drop off and pick up are just outside hostel. Very close to I-site and close to Dolphin Encounter and to beach. Amazing views from balcony!

No enough parking. Very little double bedroom. Connection wifi 400 MB per night = OK. It's good to put our name on dishes we put in the fridge.

• 11th Jan 2016

I was surprised, that one bed was used by a cat. Luckelly there were other beds to choose.

• 5th Jan 2016

Great central location with an amazing balcony to take in the morning and afternoon sun. Our private room was quite small however we managed as enjoyed our stay.

Looks pretty seedy from the outside but if was clean enough inside. Free parking was offered but does not exist. You have to pay to park and the maximum is two hours from 6AM - 8PM

What a great little hostel. Perfect location just a few steps from the shops on the main street and off street parking too. Super helpful manager- nothing was too much trouble. Great coffee in the coffee cart next door too. Loved being in the downstairs dorm too as it was really quiet and really comfy beds. Great view to the sea as well. Will definitely stay here again next time I am passing.

Super location. Lovely and helpful staff. Very clean hostel with a good kitchen. Good sized communal area with TV, DVD player and plenty of seating, and that stays open all the time. No room lockers (hence my lower security score) - not sure why so many hostels have stopped providing room lockers... Would definitely stay here again though!

Although a little scruffy, this hostel was a bit of a gem. Staff were very helpful, facilities were clean and plentiful. The best thing was the friendly vibe (perhaps something to do with us all siting in living room that resembled a giant aquarium!) Good times! Thanks!

Excellent location and such a great stuff Keep on cleaness daily Had a lovely time!

• 14th Dec 2015
  • Israel

Great staff and location. Nice rooms, comfy bed. Limited wifi is the only downside. Good showers and kitchen.

The hostel was fine but we had two bad nights of sleep, the first due to drunk guests playing music loudly on the balcony at 3am. The next night our neighbours were also loud and obnoxious and sadly as the walls are so thin it was difficult to ignore them. I think the balcony should be locked after 11pm to prevent guests doing this. In truth I wish we had paid a bit more for a hotel in the end, particularly as we had two early starts to see whales and dolphins.

The staff and location are great. The wifi isn't great, and there seem to be a lot of long termers there but overall it's a good place to stay.

Well located hostel, though not particularly full when I was there, so the atmosphere was very relaxed. The kitchen and bathroom facilities were both good and the staff was helpful.

Our room was just beside the balcony. Noisy before 10pm. And there were NO hooks in the room for hanging clothes.

I loved the Fish Tank Lodge and would highly recommend it. I think this hostel and they people there made my stay in Kaikoura. The bed was comfy, the kitchen was fine, and the lounge area was a great place to meet others staying there. Location is great. Right next to shops and the beach.