Fish Tank Lodge Reviews

86 West End, Kaikoura, New Zealand

I was greeted really well by the owner after a long day sitting in the bus.She told me everything I need to know about places, where to get food and any transportation I need. I also found it interesting to have bulletin board about wonderful outdoor activities and attractions in Kaikoura. Free wifi was really strong and fast. The lounge was really nice and peaceful at night. However, my own room was quite too small and I think it's 'cause of the design, not the actual space.

• 20th Aug 2015
  • Vietnam

Everything was ok, i would stay there again.

I can really recommend this hostel and would always come back.

Very friendly and helpfull stuff. Situated central. Creative maritime interior decoration.

• 16th Aug 2015

A great little hostel in the centre of Kaikoura! Close to everything!

Not a bad backpackers, great location but a bit pricey. Facilities are good, free tea and coffee. It was quiet dying my stay, probably due to the winter months. Rooms were good and clean. Would stay here again.

I stayed here a few days ago just for one night. I arrived at 10AM and my room was ready for check in which was awesome. The room was spacious and clean. The way this hostel is decorated is not really my thing... As mentioned before: there should be someone behind reception during opening hours cause this way anyone can walk in to the hostel, which makes it not very safe. All and all pretty good night sleep and would recommend :-)

• 3rd Jul 2015

Friendliest staff and lovely hostel, would reccomend in a heartbeat. Poor security because you could just walk into the hostel as there's rarely anyone at the front desk, and we couldn't work out how to lock the bedroom door from the outside. The outside looks a bit dodgy and off putting but the inside is great.

Quiet, clean, good communal areas. Enjoyed the balcony to eat out on.

Excellent location just by Intercity bus stop... Friendly staff... Clean, comfortable, quiet... Good night's sleep... Would definitely recommend!

• 18th May 2015
  • Denmark

Good hostel right by the beach. Friendly staff! The bathrooms were clean, the bedrooms were clean, good sized kitchen and lounge area.

Perfect central location, nice and comfy beds, quiet, clean common areas. Wifi works only around lounge.

This hostel is very central. It was clean and comfortable. Large tv lounge and really nice balcony overlooking the sea and Kaikoura. Nice stay

I loved this hostel! The theme, the rooms, the free tea and cool lounge made the experience worth it. I will definitely come again.

• 13th Apr 2015

Free wifi was a massive plus especially when the weather wasn't great. All areas were clean and tidy (hope this is the same when it's busier). Staff happy to accommodate us for another night if we needed it. Security at night brilliant- need the code to get in. During the day however, lax as people can walk in off the street and the reception was often unmanned. LOVE the decor- cute and inkeeping with the name and area!

Clean toilet with shower. Thankful for free parking and free wireless internet. There were some large spiders in the corner of our bunk room but thankfully they did not disturb us during our one night there. Value for money, relatively clean place to stopover.

A good hostel, but no lockers.

Renee at the front was wonderful, great check-in at arrival. Would definitely stay here again.

Fish tank lodge has a very nice feel and the staff are so nice and accomodating. My only complaint was that the walls are a bit thin and they probably need a few more showers.

Lovely hostel especially because of Renee helping me. She went above and beyond to get my activities sorted and even gave me a ride there! Absolutely wonderful! Showers aren't too great.