Fish Tank Lodge Reviews

86 West End, Kaikoura, New Zealand

Lovely place, ideally located and very friendly and helpfull people. They seemed to genuinely care about us enjoying our stay. I would recommend without hesitation.

• 1st Oct 2014

Bathrooms and kitchen were good, common area was empty (winter) but well equipped, dorm rooms were tight but comfortable. Location is very central. Generally a good hostel, with some good ideas, but it seems like recent repairs and modifications are a bit shoddy. Could be excellent, particularly during the warmer months, so give it a try and make up your own mind. Oh, the receptionist/owner's girlfriend is also a Kiakoura iSite employee and has good tips for local area activities, which is handy

Good hostel, nice staff and free wifi!

LOVED Kaikoura and LOVED Fish Tank!! The best nights sleep Ive had since leaving home 7 weeks ago. Free wifi with great connection. The Intercity bus literally drops you outside the door and it overlooks the ocean. Located on the Main Street but still quiet. Wonderful showers. I wish I had more time in Kaikoura-My favorite city in NZ so far. Absolutely stunning views! Looks like Hawaii but a bit colder obviously. Hire bikes for the day and go to the Peninsula and see the seals & do a whale tour!

Staff were friendly, hostel was clean and warm and the location is great. The upstairs deck has fabulous views of the town and bay.

• 9th Aug 2014

Good service, excellent location, clean and safe. I enjoyed it.

• 9th Aug 2014
  • Mexico

The hostel was almost empty both nights I was there. In the bedroom, there were only two plugs, luckily there were only two of us. There is a washing machine for which you have to pay, but no dryer. they charge 3$ for a towel and 25$ for the bike, it is pretty dear. Beds are very comfy, showers are good and clean and kitchen and common area are OK, fair enough.

The outside of use hostel made me think what did I book myself into BUT I should never have worried. Inside the hostel is really clean and comfortable, rooms are spacious and the beds are wooden (no squeaking) with an area at the end like a big shelf where you can put your stuff. But what made the stay for me was the staff. Very helpful and lovely even got a ride to seal baby seals further up the coast from the manager Craig. I wish I spent more time there. Highly recommend this hostel.

Great stay at Fish Tank for one night. Location is brilliant if travelling by bus! Free wifi is super, clean and spacious bedroom with ensuite bathroom. Unfortunately I was unable to participate in Kaikoura activities such as whale watching and swimming with the dolphins because of the weather, but my accommodation and seal colony walk recommendation from Fish Tank was greatly appreciated!

The location is amazing. It's right across from the beach and in the visitor's center. The vibe was really friendly and chill. The kitchen was huge! It had everything you'd need to cook an awesome meal. I'd definitely stay there again.

Great location near the bus stop. The common room is great and has lot's of room and places to chill. But I had trouble finding someone in the reception at any time of the day. Good thing there was an i-site nearby

Very nice place, located on the main street and just opposite to the nakedbus stop. Warm, spacious and comfortable rooms. Enough place for the luggage (huge plus!) Good wi-fi! Some additional electric sockets in rooms would be nice.

Nice place, convenient location would definitely recommend.

I stayed in the Fish Tank on a warm private room with my partner. The location of the place is great and the staff very friendly and helpful. They held on to our bags when we went to do the whale watching and rented us a couple of bikes to go see the seals. We were only there for one night, so couldn´t really get to feel the atmosphere. The downside was the noise from the pipes, but in general the place is nothing outstanding, but convenient and with great staff, which is always a plus.

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Room 8 could do with a bit of love. I know its budget accommodation, but there were several wholes in the wall or whatever that someone had just stuck a board over to cover. A like of paint to cover the other patches on the walls in different colours would probably improve the impression.

• 5th Jul 2014

Lovely hostel - very clean and great kitchen facilities. Would definitely stay again.

• 3rd Jul 2014
  • Scotland

Very nice indeed.

• 1st Jul 2014
  • Norfolk Island

Lovely stay at the lodge. It's location is brilliant, right were the bus stops. The place is clean and tidy, with a cosy lounge and balcony. Shame the room I stayed in only had a skylight for a window, would have loved to have enjoyed the views!

Great hostel, excellent facilities. Very clean hostel. Awesome activities in Kaikoura, esp Dolphin Encounter!

A very nice hostel, right on the coast with the added bonus of the coach stopping off right outside. Interesting decorations inside and very nice staff, though it was a bit quiet. Free Wifi was a nice touch.