Fish Tank Lodge Reviews

86 West End, Kaikoura, New Zealand

The outside of use hostel made me think what did I book myself into BUT I should never have worried. Inside the hostel is really clean and comfortable, rooms are spacious and the beds are wooden (no squeaking) with an area at the end like a big shelf where you can put your stuff. But what made the stay for me was the staff. Very helpful and lovely even got a ride to seal baby seals further up the coast from the manager Craig. I wish I spent more time there. Highly recommend this hostel.

Very nice place, located on the main street and just opposite to the nakedbus stop. Warm, spacious and comfortable rooms. Enough place for the luggage (huge plus!) Good wi-fi! Some additional electric sockets in rooms would be nice.

Nice place, convenient location would definitely recommend.

I stayed in the Fish Tank on a warm private room with my partner. The location of the place is great and the staff very friendly and helpful. They held on to our bags when we went to do the whale watching and rented us a couple of bikes to go see the seals. We were only there for one night, so couldn´t really get to feel the atmosphere. The downside was the noise from the pipes, but in general the place is nothing outstanding, but convenient and with great staff, which is always a plus.

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Room 8 could do with a bit of love. I know its budget accommodation, but there were several wholes in the wall or whatever that someone had just stuck a board over to cover. A like of paint to cover the other patches on the walls in different colours would probably improve the impression.

• 5th Jul 2014

Lovely hostel - very clean and great kitchen facilities. Would definitely stay again.

• 3rd Jul 2014
  • Scotland

Very nice indeed.

• 1st Jul 2014
  • Norfolk Island

Lovely stay at the lodge. It's location is brilliant, right were the bus stops. The place is clean and tidy, with a cosy lounge and balcony. Shame the room I stayed in only had a skylight for a window, would have loved to have enjoyed the views!

Great hostel, excellent facilities. Very clean hostel. Awesome activities in Kaikoura, esp Dolphin Encounter!

A very nice hostel, right on the coast with the added bonus of the coach stopping off right outside. Interesting decorations inside and very nice staff, though it was a bit quiet. Free Wifi was a nice touch.

Nice location just next to where the buses stop. Clean and tidy. Cone with free WiFi is definitely a plus.

Wow what an awesome time spent in Kaikoura. The location of this accommodation was excellent, stepped straight of bus and through the main doors of accommodation. Bike hireage available which was so much fun.

This hostel is in the best location! Right across the road from the bus stop so you don't have to walk very far with your bags! The 4 bed dorm was very clean. There was a big TV room and a good size kitchen. It didn't seem to have much atmosphere but I think that was more to do with the fact that there were not many people staying there. There was also free wifi which was great!

Nicely painted rooms. Could do with more tv channels or more than the 3 or 4 DVDs as there is not a lot to do in kaikoura in evening. The shower door had a hole in it and our heater didnt work, there seemed to be no urgency to fix these things. Also none of the laundry facilties worked. However, comfy beds, nice rooms, great location and free wifi so would stay again. Just needs a bit of TLC.

Great location right by the bus stop, and close to the water front. Comfy beds. Ask about Jerry's fishing trip, great excursion. Craig (owner or manager) very helpful.

Overall it was a good hostel, however, I felt as though the older man working was very impatient and rude with me when sorting out the payment. It caused a big hassle for me and my group and if he continues to use HostelWorld he should find a way to make the payment easier so that each member of my group didn't have to pay me back my deposit from their own pocket. I found it to be very unprofessional.

Great hostel with a perfect location, lovely view, and fast free unlimited wifi.

Free WIFI is always a plus. The room was average size and the beds were more comfortable than most hostels

We were a bit scared of sleeping on the top bed of the bunk bed as it didn't have any protection from falling down during the night. Heater was broken.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Comfortable, clean beds. Great kitchen facilities, free wifi a bonus! Morning staff very friendly... Afternoon/evening staff nowhere to be seen! Got annoying after a while as there was always a "back in 5 min" sign on the desk. Security good although lockers would be nice. Overall a pleasant stay, would stay again

« first « Prev 1 2 3