Fish Tank Lodge Reviews

86 West End, Kaikoura, New Zealand

Great location right by the bus stop, and close to the water front. Comfy beds. Ask about Jerry's fishing trip, great excursion. Craig (owner or manager) very helpful.

Overall it was a good hostel, however, I felt as though the older man working was very impatient and rude with me when sorting out the payment. It caused a big hassle for me and my group and if he continues to use HostelWorld he should find a way to make the payment easier so that each member of my group didn't have to pay me back my deposit from their own pocket. I found it to be very unprofessional.

Great hostel with a perfect location, lovely view, and fast free unlimited wifi.

Free WIFI is always a plus. The room was average size and the beds were more comfortable than most hostels

We were a bit scared of sleeping on the top bed of the bunk bed as it didn't have any protection from falling down during the night. Heater was broken.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Comfortable, clean beds. Great kitchen facilities, free wifi a bonus! Morning staff very friendly... Afternoon/evening staff nowhere to be seen! Got annoying after a while as there was always a "back in 5 min" sign on the desk. Security good although lockers would be nice. Overall a pleasant stay, would stay again

Great hostel with comfy beds that arent squeaky and are attached to the wall. I just didnt like the coed bathrooms/showers it was a little weird. The owner is very friendly and helpful!

Friendly, helpful staff. We really enjoyed our time here, thank you!

• 20th Apr 2014
  • New Zealand

A good hostel, manager Craig was very welcoming and calm despite there being a massive storm outside. Kitchen good, people nice, atmosphere warm, beds comfy. Only bad thing was there was a punch-hole in the shower room.. But other than that a great place to stay in Kaikoura!

Great little hostel in a great location. Right opposite the bus stop & I-site and next to all the shops and only a short walk to the whale watching and dolphin encounter offices. Nice comfy beds and very clean.

Small room, kitchen could have more equipmentt

This hostel was very nice. Close to the beach and quite clean. Staff were helpful and free wifi

Great lounge area with big screen tv. Great kitchen. Excellent that wifi is free. Lockers required. Also internet kept on cutting out.

The beds were really comfy and the location is great, the Intercity bus stop is right outside. The view from the balcony is awesome. No complaints.

nice friendly place, room was clean, lovely veranda atthe front, staff were easy going , frieindly and helpfull

Very helpful, friendly, and attentive manager.

• 15th Mar 2014

Good hostel! Big kitchen, TV lounge and sun deck. Spacious rooms. Only thing: one employee was not a genius in calculating so I paid too much but he was very friendly when I calculated it for him and he gave me the money back, so no problem.

Excellent location. Handy to everything.

• 13th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Great location, friendly staff and nice hostel.

it was said to be special, even "high standard" but in reality = disappointingly basic and rooms too crampy = no luggage storage.

• 9th Mar 2014