Fish Tank Lodge Reviews

86 West End, Kaikoura, New Zealand

We booked a double room and got the smallest room ever. We some how managed to store our laguage. Furniture was a little outdated. But we've seen a lovely sunrise...lying in our bed.

Awesome stay but not really good for smokers as you are not allowed on the balcony you have to go downstairs out and away from lodge so very good for non smokers, the dorm rooms are old and dark but worth your money. And no alcohol lodge but sweet as its right in town and nice pubs around area. Good location and everything you need, nice kitchen and well organised.

• 2nd Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

I had a great stay at the hostel. Lovely place in the city next to the beach. Free internet which works well. Amazing.

The hostel was so friendly, a great place to meet other travellers in the large communal area, perfect location and generally clean. The rooms were slightly small but no problem as was out most of the day. Facilities were pretty good and even had a bbq guests could use. The i site was opposite and all buses (stray, kiwi, intercity, naked etc) all pick up and drop off outside the hostel. Would stay here again and would recommend to others. Thanks for having me:)

Great place to stay. Friendly staff. Great cat that was drinking the water out of the fish tank at the front counter - seemingly oblivious to the goldfish swimming around in it :)

Free unlimited wifi. But tiny three bed dorm: barely enough space to put bags on the floor. Kitchen not particularly clean, loads of flies.

Nice place with unlimited free wifi. The building is a little dated but has a lot of charmed. Hostel is located in the middle of town near all the shops, bars, and restaurant. The beach is literally across the street.

This place is awesome!!!! The beds are super comfy and the location is perfect. The staff is really nice and the wifi is amazing and free. I stayed an extra night because I loved this place so much! I highly recommend it.

Great place, ended up staying an extra night. Staff was helpful. Only downside was when we left we forgot to get our key deposit back. Luckily we came back through Kaikoura and were abke to get it back.

Clean and comfy rooms, beds, and facilities. A very calm hostel wih a chill vibe right across from where the buses come and go and next to the beach. Great view from the deck. Would definitely stay again!

It doesn't look great from the outside but don't let that fool you! It's really great inside, good facilities and great, comfy beds!

It was a friendly, well located and clean hostel. I really recommend it, I had the best time. They vacuum all the common areas of the hostel everyday, and the staff it's always willing to help you during your stay. But if you don't like small hostels where everyone knows each other, then it's not the hostel for you... I loved the fish tank Lodge! And if I ever go back to Kaikoura I'll definitely book there.

• 20th Jan 2015
  • Argentina

Nice location, nice common room, a balcony. Fun fish paintings on the walls. Friendly staff. Overall a good stay, didnt really spent much time at the hostel except sleeping.

When i walked towards it i was shocked.. it looks really bad from the outside. But once you are in, it is nice and comfy.

I had a wonderful stay at the Fish Tank Lodge. The only negatieve thing is that I didn't get back my key deposit and no reply on an email I sent about it.

Really enjoyed my stay here. I was a bit skeptical at first as the outside didn't look as nice as the picture but once inside it was awesome. The bedrooms were nice and clean. Kitchen and bathrooms were spotless. Nice big lounge. FREE wifi that works properly! Staff are really friendly and more than happy to help you. Would definately stay here again as it was also nice and peaceful :-)

Great location and very clean - especially the kitchen, which is rare. I did find it hard to meet people though, perhaps due to the time of year (I was the only one in my dorm room on Christmas eve)

Great hostel, super friendly staff!

Lovely Place to Stay :)

• 18th Dec 2014

Nice hostel with friendly staff. Close to all shops and activities. Great location for the inter city bus and I site.