Fish Tank Lodge Reviews

86 West End, Kaikoura, New Zealand

Loved this hostel, wish there was free wifi (the free code I was given ran out within 10 minutes) but this is common among many hostels. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating and it was in an excellent location. Definitely recommend.

Cozy Hostel. Got everything u could wish for as a Backpacker, well unlimited WiFi would make it even better.

The lady that came to the desk when buzzed was delightful..very friendly and answered any questions about the area, lovely :) It was clean & I got a room to myself due to it being quiet, nice. Lack of plug sockets, had there been 3 people in the room, someone would have had a flat battery. Shower was freezing :( it warned you on the wall but I needed a shower, horrible..and 'free wifi' was 20MB which I think was someone's idea of a joke?! Awesome location across i-site & intercity bus stop :)

Good location (opposite the i-Site) / very calm atmosphere (not many guests during our stay) / great view on the sea & the mountains / you have to pay for the WIFI (1C/!MB) / kitchen a little bit cold/dark / rooms were clean but small and only one socket / all in all good hostel

This was a great find! I was travelling during shoulder season, so things were on the quieter side, but Fish Tank came recommended and didn't disappoint. The staff was super friendly, and the beds were by far the most comfortable I've ever come across in a hostel. The kitchen and lounge were both clean and comfortable,and the deck with ocean and mountain views was a treat!

• 9th Oct 2015

I loved this hostel. The building and common areas are old fashioned but the bed was comfy and everywhere was clean so what more can you ask for? Renee (who runs the place) is so lovely and super helpful. All in all would recommend for sure!

I was 1 of 3 guests when staying here so I don't know how the atmosphere was but the hostel is pretty good. Comfortable beds and really nice common area. The building looks a little odd from the outside but is nice on the inside. The location is great with the beach just about across the street. I'd probably stay here again if I was in Kaikoura.

I was greeted really well by the owner after a long day sitting in the bus.She told me everything I need to know about places, where to get food and any transportation I need. I also found it interesting to have bulletin board about wonderful outdoor activities and attractions in Kaikoura. Free wifi was really strong and fast. The lounge was really nice and peaceful at night. However, my own room was quite too small and I think it's 'cause of the design, not the actual space.

• 20th Aug 2015
  • Vietnam

Everything was ok, i would stay there again.

I can really recommend this hostel and would always come back.

Very friendly and helpfull stuff. Situated central. Creative maritime interior decoration.

• 16th Aug 2015