Five Elements Hostel Reviews

Area 69, West Gate Village, Dali, Dali, China

Clean hostel, good wifi ,staff is really trying to help you. Beds in 4mixed dorm room are terrible i wouldnt let my worst enemy sleep on those two pieces of foam.

• 28th Feb 2015

This place is wonderful. It is located right next to the old city, quite literally across the street. The atmosphere was really chilled out yet professional and the staff members were all incredibly helpful, aiding us in planning day trips and the like. The room was beautiful and the best value we've had so far. My only beef is the shower pressure, it was a little dribbly and then went dead, I ended up gargoyling under the faucet but I do highly recommend 5 elements, it's definitely best in Dali

Overall very good, great location no complaints.

Good hostel. Not the best location, simply because there are loads of hostels in better locations in Dali. This one is right across an 8 lane highway from the west gate of the city, and how long it takes to get anywhere depends on your frogger abilities. I don't think there will be enough bathrooms and showers during the on season: I had to wait for a shower and its February. They have a laundry service, no towels. The beds have heating pads!!! They have two ADORABLE kittens to play with, also.

So booking with Five Elements Hostel was my first time using Hostelworld.com. It turned out to be a great experience. Soon after booking, I received an email that had an attachment with instructions on how to reach the hostel. It was all quite clear and I got to the hostel with no problems. The staff was all quite friendly and helpful. The room was a good size, comfortable, and very clean. Also, the shower was nice and hot, which was nice as it was a bit cold outside.

The hostel is really nice. The staff is friendly and speaks english. they even bring you to the bus station. The rooms are clean and the price for a dorms is really cheap. I had a fun time!

We are so happy that you enjoy your stay here. Thanks. And enjoy the rest of your journey in China.

This is how an awesome hostel should look like. The staff was incredible nice and helpful. It is a beautiful place a few metres outside the city walls.

The food was really good and fresh!!! There are two adorable dogs in this hostel. The location was really good and staff was helpful and friendly. However it was cold in the room (no heating in winter) and the safety boxes in the room were not reliable.

The location is good, it's very near the old city. When you go to this hostel, book by internet it's cheaper than booking at arrival. The staf is helpful and can give a lot of information.

The staff was incredibly accommodating, and my room was also very comfortable and perfect for the weekend. The hostel is also located right across the street from everything that Dali Gucheng has to offer.

• 29th Nov 2014

Amazing hostel. Immediately feel at home. The staff as beyond helpful - they really make the effort so that you fall in love with Dali. I will definitely be going back.

• 28th Nov 2014

Very nice and relaxing place. The staff was very friendly with good English, they took care of us with good advices and they made us feel part of the community. Great location at few steps to the old town. We had a beautiful double bedroom with private bathroom over the expectations for a hostel! Definitely recommended!

Great clean and fun place. Helpful and friendly staff. NOT where Googlemaps says it is - it's much closer. Enjoyed my stay.

• 22nd Oct 2014

Staff is very helpful as you know if you go to China, it's difficult to stay alive if you can't speak Chinese but staff is very helpful for me who can't speak Chinese. Atmosphere is great and the hostel is not far from Dali old town. You can go there 15 mins by walk.

Fabulous staff- super helpful, great English. Tasty garden salad and juice from the bar. Wifi was strong but only in the common room, we had trouble connecting from our room. The shower in our private room took forever to heat up and was weak. Really loved playing with the two friendly golden retrievers. Great common spaces. BEWARE that the directions in the Lonely Planet are WRONG, use what's on Hostelworld.

Only stayed here for one night, we arrived really late but the staff were happy to wait up for us so we could get in! The room was basic but fine for our needs. The garden area is very pretty and the common room has a pool table, wifi, bar and plenty of seating.

The staff...lyn,mate, amyand jessy are the nicest guest house staff i met in china..anything you need just comes from them without hesitation and they give the place a wonderfull athmosphire always with a smile...thnks five elements its bee a pleasure!

Five elements is really nice hostel with lots to offer its location is perfect because it's just outside old town and it’s a 30 minute bike ride to ErHai Lake. The staffs are very friendly and willing to help you book tickets. Although I stayed here when they were very busy the staff more than helpful. No lockers are available which was a slight downfall to a lovely stay here as I had to leave valuables at front desk but I think if you ask to be placed in a dorm with lockers it is possible.

Staff is great, private doubles very nice, Basic twin rooms a bit less nice. Very cosy and good breakfast.

Five Elements is located across the street from the old town and surrounded by many other hostels. The room was decent but the mattress was a bit weak. One male staff member was excellent, friendly, and very helpful, while the other female staff member was borderline useless.....so, mixed review on the staff. The social atmosphere was poor to be honest, despite having a decent set up.