Five Elements Hostel Reviews

Area 69, West Gate Village, Dali, Dali, China

Fabulous staff- super helpful, great English. Tasty garden salad and juice from the bar. Wifi was strong but only in the common room, we had trouble connecting from our room. The shower in our private room took forever to heat up and was weak. Really loved playing with the two friendly golden retrievers. Great common spaces. BEWARE that the directions in the Lonely Planet are WRONG, use what's on Hostelworld.

Only stayed here for one night, we arrived really late but the staff were happy to wait up for us so we could get in! The room was basic but fine for our needs. The garden area is very pretty and the common room has a pool table, wifi, bar and plenty of seating.

The staff...lyn,mate, amyand jessy are the nicest guest house staff i met in china..anything you need just comes from them without hesitation and they give the place a wonderfull athmosphire always with a smile...thnks five elements its bee a pleasure!

Five elements is really nice hostel with lots to offer its location is perfect because it's just outside old town and it’s a 30 minute bike ride to ErHai Lake. The staffs are very friendly and willing to help you book tickets. Although I stayed here when they were very busy the staff more than helpful. No lockers are available which was a slight downfall to a lovely stay here as I had to leave valuables at front desk but I think if you ask to be placed in a dorm with lockers it is possible.

Staff is great, private doubles very nice, Basic twin rooms a bit less nice. Very cosy and good breakfast.

Five Elements is located across the street from the old town and surrounded by many other hostels. The room was decent but the mattress was a bit weak. One male staff member was excellent, friendly, and very helpful, while the other female staff member was borderline useless.....so, mixed review on the staff. The social atmosphere was poor to be honest, despite having a decent set up.

Located just outside of the old town it's a pretty short walk into old town. Staff spoke good english and were very helpful. It's also pretty easy to walk to Cang Shan from the hostel. We found the food to be quite nice as well particularly grandmothers potatoes and the fried rice (big portions)

We really enjoyed our stay at the five elements hostel.the room was great, very clean and comfortable! The staff - Amy and Matt were extremely helpful and super nice.

The staff are what make this place. They are all super friendly are really helpful. We stayed here twice and enjoyed it both times. The first time we had a room with a shared bathroom, our room was beautiful and spacious. The second time we had a private bathroom, the room was nice but bit as nice as the first room we had. The second room we stayed in was more noisy too. Would stay there again. Thanks everyone at The Five Elements for a great stay!

By far the best hostel I have stayed in china! And I've stayed in a lot. Its all in the atmosphere. This place is waiting for you to make the most of it, so stay for a few days (even weeks) and embrace the amazingly helpful staff and long-term lodgers who will soon become lifelong friends. Thank you to Matt, Amy, April and Emily and the rest of the staff for making my stay in dali so perfect. The old town is also awesome, great vibes and happiness to be found all around. Ill be back! :)

• 27th Jul 2014

All receptionist spoke perfect English and were very happy to help and give advice, the room (dorm) was spacious and clean and the hostel is just a short walk from the old town. The only bad thing is that there aren't really any "real" lockers available, but the hosel itself is pretty safe

We really enjoyed this hostel. It was near everything and had a lot of character. The staff were really really helpful.

I love this hostel very much !! All staff in this hostel are very friendly to visitors, always smiling and willing to offer useful information to visitors,esp. those guys at reception, they are superbly helpful.My four-bed room are very clean and spacious. Only the locker is out of my expectation. I thought it was a real drawer that I could put all my stuff in it, like a box, but the 'drawer' only has a wooden door without a layer of wood separating my stuff from the floor.

Since 3am i woke up by the noise . i cant fall asleep again .and it is 6:30 am now .i am so tired and sad . i cant find a quit place . they should tell me about the noise in the private room first ,the damn roof . my friend changed a hotel at the midnight !!!but my stuff is too much . i cant move at the midnight . and no one at the reception . you cant do anything about it . but anyway if you want to stay at the DORM is very nice here !

Good food, clean big rooms, friendly staff, good location ... What do you want more!

This is a really great hostel, and only the second 100% rating I've given. The price is good, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the facilities are excellent. I didn't try much of the food on offer, but the stuff I did try was very nice. Dali has a lot of good hostels, but this one is great.

Five elements is a nice place to stay in Dali. It is located just a few meters out of town, so it's in a quiet area, but you can still be in the center within a few minutes walking. The room we had was nicely large and clean. They serve really delicious food (they grow their vegetables in their own sweet little garden) in a cozy atmosphere.

We have been in China for two months. This is by far the best hostel we have had the pleasure of staying at. The staff are extremely friendly. The rooms are clean and full of character. The organic garden explodes with juicy goodness. The hostel has a really family vibe to it and you will feel at home immediately.

We really appreciate for this highly comment to us. Hope to see you guys next time, Have fun in all your trips. Here is always a home waiting for you. :)

Very friendly and helpful staff, speaking excellent English. Twin room was great, more like a simple hotel room than a hostel. Bike rental. Very close to old town Dali but not inside - just across the street from gate.

Staff were very helpful and eager to help us. They organised travel for us to Lijiang and were happy to change the details for us at the last minute for no extra cost when we were ill.