Flying Monkey Backpackers Reviews

89 The Esplanade, Cairns, Cairns, Australia

I have travelled Australia for 2 months and this was the worst hostel I've seen, the staff were rude and unhelpful especially the manager, he refused to talk to us because he was off working his other job. They refused us a refund for the nights we had paid for despite there policy stating they offer a one night cancellation fee. I have never experienced and problems like I had experienced in this hostel! Generally unclean dirty laundry everywhere, cutlery/plates in pool! Don't stay here!

Great location, close to the reef terminal, tours and airport shuttle pick up right out front. Peter Pan travel offers discount for staying there. Day time staff were good. Otherwise the hostel is pretty dirty, only had 2 toilets in the whole place with showers inside. In the mornings the toilet paper had run out and no one was at reception. Pretty loud place which is hard if you're doing lots of long day trips and need sleep before the next big day. After hours staff seemed unhappy to help

It is an ok hostel, but nothing special. They had forgotten to clean/vacuum our room when we checked-in. We had to go to reception to get it vacuumed, but it was still pretty dirty. The main issue was the hairs in the carpet. I'm not a clean freak at all, but that bothered me. Also the kitchen and bathrooms weren't the best either, but normal backpacker stuff. Free breakfast was nice. I would say for the price there are better hostels whether you want a party scene or something more quiet.

I had a single private room with dirty sheets and no curtains directly looking onto the esplanade. Half of the bathrooms were put of use and there was dirty laundry thrown all over the place. I didn't feel safe to leave my belongings there so had to take my key items out during the day, and one night someone entered my private room although I had locked it showing how flimsy the locks were. Overall an awful stay which ruined my time in Cairns.

Staff was very nice and helpful and free breakfast was great! Our room was very dirty, there we a cleaning day but they didn't clean our room.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Finland

Seems like a very good hostel and i would have liked to have stopped here longer.A very good atmosphere.

I ended up staying only one night. The hostel had some troubles with bathrooms as half of them were out of order and probably caused the terrible smell in the hallways. Staff was friendly but not much informative.

Thank you for leaving a review. I wanted to apologies that you felt you had to leave after one night. With regards to the bathrooms only 2 of our 12 bathrooms were out of order due to some problems we are having with the plumbing that's causing some bad noises. Unfortunately, we have had some really bad weather recently causing some flooding in a room by reception. Unfortunately, as it kept raining it took us a few days to get dry which caused the damp smell. Best Regards, Management

Very clean, nice and helpful staff, big room.

Great location, right on the Esplanade! It's perfect for catching the boat for the Great Barrier Reef. There are lots of restaurants and bars within a few meters of the hostel. There's a pool there! The kitchen is good and there isn't a change to use the plates, pots and pans. The room have AC, which was really nice.