Flying Monkey Backpackers Reviews

89 The Esplanade, Cairns, Cairns, Australia

I was recommended this hostel by a friend, and have to say i would pleasantly surprised. The building itself could do with updating, but otherwise its clean, staff are friendly and I like how they cook for everyone for just $3 on certain nights of the week! Wish I could have stayed longer to join in with the other activities. Would definitely stay again if I come back to Cairns.

Me and my boyfried stayed in the hostel just for a short time but we really enjoyed it! The people who work there are always helpful..... With our regret we couldn't stay for the sangria night which is supposed to be the funniest night of the week but we really had fun at the barbeque on the esplanade with the other guest. The rooms and the bathrooms are clean and the breakfast is for free .There are also a swimmingpool and a big television so it's hard to get bored. Worth it

• 6th Jul 2014

Right on the esplanade and next to a kebab place, which is a bonus for me since i live off them. One bed was extraordinarily uncomfortable where you could feel the individual springs and very squeeky but my friends bed was fine so i think it was a fluke. Bathrooms could be cleaned more often, buy not terrible. No lockers for your bags. Wifi only in common area. Breakfast goes fast and isnt impressive but for $17, i found it to be worth it. Who spends the day in a hostel anyway?

Hi Cristina, I am sorry your bed was uncomfortable. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I shall look into getting the mattress replaced! I have also just hired a new cleaner so the bathrooms can be cleaned more often and generally just tidied up throughout the day. The breakfast does go fast because people love the fresh fruit we put out each morning, and do not want to miss out. If anything runs out before 9.30 our receptionists are happy to replenish everything where possible.

Stayed here for one night thank god, when we arrived the guy at the reception seemed high and was useless! Just stood there and left us waiting for ages. Rooms didnt lock so was not secure however there was airconditioning, we paid our $20 key deposit by eftpos and they still havent returned it and its been 3 weeks, have rang then plenty of times and they just dont care about getting it sorted! The pool is awful, only good thing i have to say is that is right next to the lagoon