Flying Monkey Backpackers Reviews

89 The Esplanade, Cairns, Cairns, Australia

WORST EVER!!! I had dried-only god knows what on my "clean sheets" when I arrived. no real blanket-only empty duvet cover. Fine of $20 for turning on the aircon in winter. When I arrived the guy at the front desk was in his boxer-briefs and wasn't every helpful. The bathroom was disgusting. Dirt and mould all over. The bottom on one of the doors was literally falling out. Sink was nearly rusted off the wall. I stayed one night out of my four booked and went and stayed in a hotel. Don't do it!!!

It was the worst Hostel I've been in Australia

• 17th Aug 2015

Was not what was advertised at all...was put in the wrong room, could not amend it because reception was shut when I was told it would be open, there was no wifi. Free breakfast was also advertised which was not given. When I arrived I was not given any information at all, just the key. The bathrooms were absolutely filthy as was the kitchen. I could not stay there I only stayed one night out of the 5 I booked. When I highlighted these problems excuses were made. Would not recommend this place!

• 7th Jul 2015

The hostel was very dirty, essentially, the rooms. There were old beer and coke cans, dirty dishes with rest of food, etc. in the room because the hostel never clean the garbage bins. Plus the rooms were very stinky because the garbage and wet clothes drying on the rooms. The hostel management should really improved these two aspects.

I have travelled Australia for 2 months and this was the worst hostel I've seen, the staff were rude and unhelpful especially the manager, he refused to talk to us because he was off working his other job. They refused us a refund for the nights we had paid for despite there policy stating they offer a one night cancellation fee. I have never experienced and problems like I had experienced in this hostel! Generally unclean dirty laundry everywhere, cutlery/plates in pool! Don't stay here!

Great location, close to the reef terminal, tours and airport shuttle pick up right out front. Peter Pan travel offers discount for staying there. Day time staff were good. Otherwise the hostel is pretty dirty, only had 2 toilets in the whole place with showers inside. In the mornings the toilet paper had run out and no one was at reception. Pretty loud place which is hard if you're doing lots of long day trips and need sleep before the next big day. After hours staff seemed unhappy to help

It is an ok hostel, but nothing special. They had forgotten to clean/vacuum our room when we checked-in. We had to go to reception to get it vacuumed, but it was still pretty dirty. The main issue was the hairs in the carpet. I'm not a clean freak at all, but that bothered me. Also the kitchen and bathrooms weren't the best either, but normal backpacker stuff. Free breakfast was nice. I would say for the price there are better hostels whether you want a party scene or something more quiet.

I had a single private room with dirty sheets and no curtains directly looking onto the esplanade. Half of the bathrooms were put of use and there was dirty laundry thrown all over the place. I didn't feel safe to leave my belongings there so had to take my key items out during the day, and one night someone entered my private room although I had locked it showing how flimsy the locks were. Overall an awful stay which ruined my time in Cairns.

Staff was very nice and helpful and free breakfast was great! Our room was very dirty, there we a cleaning day but they didn't clean our room.