Flying Pig Downtown Reviews

Nieuwendijk 100, 1012 MR, Amsterdam, Netherlands

This hostel is amazing. 3rd time I stayed there. Nice staff, Hoegaarden on tap at the reception, comfy pillow room. Located right in downtown. Showers are ok. Rooms, in overall, are dirty, always full of dirty assholes bad-educated kids who goes to amsterdam to party and are freaking dirty pigs that don't care at all about hygiene. Haven't seen bed bugs, though. Breakfast is a little poor.

The hostel is located very conveniently close to the Amsterdam Centraal Station and Dam Square. The hostel has decent facilities and it is clean. However, since we booked for the days close to the King's Day, it was not very cheap. But overall I would recommend the hostel mainly for its location.

The staff was friendly and helpful, the facilities were clean and neat. The bar in the lobby was very pleasant, and though it was a bit loud at night, I slept well and I felt safe. I appreciated the designating smoking room (to smoke whatever you like to smoke), which kept people from smoking everywhere else. Plus, it was easy to find and perfectly located very close to Centraal Station, in the heart of downtown. The included breakfast was great quality too! I highly recommend this hostel.

This is a great hostel especially to meet people, the bar is really cool and plays some great music very chilled during the day and at night gets a bit more rowdy. Over all had an awesome stay and met some great friends would 100% stay there again.

Great smoking room and all-around great vibe

The only issue I had was that my bed was right next to a window that did not seal completely when closed so during the night there was a slight breeze coming through which was terribly cold.

Fantastic helpful staff. Great location. You can hire a towell from them for 2euros then get it back when you return it. Bar with cheapish drinks and smoking room next to it. Rooms and bathrooms always clean, but we did see a mouse in our room- prob someone left food out. They tell you to pay a 1euro deposit for key to get it back at end, but then ask you to donate it to charity. Hairdryers in bathroom. Good breakfast- toast, boiled eggs, cereals. Would definitely stay again.

Flying Pig Downtown was great! We originally booked for 1 night and then added on two more through e-mails. There was a slight mix up but everything worked out, and the staff gave us 50% off because we had to wait about 10 minutes for them to fix things. I thought that was great and never would have expected that on top of 2 free drinks! It's close to the train station which is very nice as well as close to the red light district, and only about 10-15 min walk to a lot of the bars and clubs.

Hi there, Thank you for leaving such a nice review. We are happy to read that the mix up was solved and you were happy with the solution. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay! Hope to see you back at the Pig some day! Happy travels!

Incredible place to stay in Amsterdam. This was our second time there and we would definitely come back. Atmosphere and smoking room are excellent!

Really great hostel - just a bit loud and too much of a party hostel for me

I stayed here with 12 men on a stag party for 2 nights. I had never stayed at a hostel before. So this review is mostly in comparison with a hotel. The standards are much higher than I was expecting for a hostel. Everything is clean and well kept. If ypu have a pad lock your belongings will be safe enough in a steel basket but you could have a few people lift the bunk bed to grab anything from the baskets. Towels are 1 euro to hire. We paid 30 per night though which is the cost of a hotel.

• Northern Ireland

Hi there, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a nice review. It is always great to hear people enjoyed their stay with us. For towel rental we ask a 2 euro deposit, which is refunded when you return the towel. Did you receive your 2 euro back from us? We will contact you to see if we can still refund you the deposit :D Hope to see you back at the Pig some day! Happy travels!

We only needed to spend one night in a hostel in Amsterdam, and this one was closest to the train station where we were catching a 6AM train. The staff member who checked us in was quite possibly enjoying a beer while she did so, and the lobby was basically a pub--very loud and rowdy. We were in a 32-person room because it was the cheapest, and, while it was sufficiently clean, we woke up at 4:30AM to some people having a great time in bed. I know this isn't the hostel's fault but it was gross!!

• 6th Apr 2014

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to write down your experience while staying with us. We are sorry to hear people woke you up in the middle of the night. Unfortunately we don't have any control over this. Drinking on the job is something we frown upon and we will pick this up with our staff straight away. Thank you so much for pointing this out. To find out more about your stay and your experience with us, we will contact you in person. Hope to hear from you soon!

A good place to stay, staff were really friendly and helpful. The place is in a good location, close by to the main road and train station. Would recommend people to stay here.

• 6th Apr 2014

Had a blast, no other place like it. Hands down check into this hostel!

• 5th Apr 2014

Excellent stay and helpful staff, although my card didn't work for my room door or the front door of the hostel , when I asked for a new one they told me there was nothing wrong with it, minor complaint, I'll still be recommending the hostel and stopping again

• 4th Apr 2014

Flying Pig was a pretty awesome place to stay. The location was amazing and I loved coming home every night to people in the bar and smoking room. The bedroom would have been great if not for my ridiculously rude and loud roommates - thankfully they offer free earplugs at the front. The downstairs "happy room" was cool too - you can rent movies & chill down there if you'd like. Breakfast was average. Overall it was a fun hostel but don't stay here if you're looking for a quiet time in Amsterdam.

Was only here for a 14hr layover, but the place was amazing! great atmosphere, they had a pool table in the front, smoking room in the back. we booked for two in an 18person dorm, and got a queen size bunk bed for the both of us :) staff was very professional and friendly. there was someone at the front desk 24/7. we had an early flight so we checked out at 6am and people were still up and hanging out in the lobby/common area. location was great. 10 min walk from amsterdam centraal station.

Great stay at the flying pig! Great location and staff very helpful! Look forward to going back soon!

Aside from the price, this place was awesome! I was supposed to stay 3-nights but had leave early for a death in my family, so they let me stay only one night, which was awesome since there's a 2-night minimum. I literally dropped my bags on my bed, explained my situation to the bartender and she gave me an awesome "this is what to do with your 15 hours in Amsterdam" game-plan. I got back to my room just in time to grab my bags off my bed and head to the airport. I'll definitely come back!

Great Great hostel! Well located, has everything a backpacker needs! Light and charger in the bed, good showers! Only missed a cool lounge to relax and use the internet, because the lounge is a pub and you don't feel conformable going on relaxed clothes and flip flops