Flying Pig Downtown Reviews

Nieuwendijk 100, 1012 MR, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Flying Pig Downtown was great! We originally booked for 1 night and then added on two more through e-mails. There was a slight mix up but everything worked out, and the staff gave us 50% off because we had to wait about 10 minutes for them to fix things. I thought that was great and never would have expected that on top of 2 free drinks! It's close to the train station which is very nice as well as close to the red light district, and only about 10-15 min walk to a lot of the bars and clubs.

Hi there, Thank you for leaving such a nice review. We are happy to read that the mix up was solved and you were happy with the solution. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay! Hope to see you back at the Pig some day! Happy travels!

Incredible place to stay in Amsterdam. This was our second time there and we would definitely come back. Atmosphere and smoking room are excellent!

Really great hostel - just a bit loud and too much of a party hostel for me

I stayed here with 12 men on a stag party for 2 nights. I had never stayed at a hostel before. So this review is mostly in comparison with a hotel. The standards are much higher than I was expecting for a hostel. Everything is clean and well kept. If ypu have a pad lock your belongings will be safe enough in a steel basket but you could have a few people lift the bunk bed to grab anything from the baskets. Towels are 1 euro to hire. We paid 30 per night though which is the cost of a hotel.

• Northern Ireland

Hi there, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a nice review. It is always great to hear people enjoyed their stay with us. For towel rental we ask a 2 euro deposit, which is refunded when you return the towel. Did you receive your 2 euro back from us? We will contact you to see if we can still refund you the deposit :D Hope to see you back at the Pig some day! Happy travels!

We only needed to spend one night in a hostel in Amsterdam, and this one was closest to the train station where we were catching a 6AM train. The staff member who checked us in was quite possibly enjoying a beer while she did so, and the lobby was basically a pub--very loud and rowdy. We were in a 32-person room because it was the cheapest, and, while it was sufficiently clean, we woke up at 4:30AM to some people having a great time in bed. I know this isn't the hostel's fault but it was gross!!

• 6th Apr 2014

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to write down your experience while staying with us. We are sorry to hear people woke you up in the middle of the night. Unfortunately we don't have any control over this. Drinking on the job is something we frown upon and we will pick this up with our staff straight away. Thank you so much for pointing this out. To find out more about your stay and your experience with us, we will contact you in person. Hope to hear from you soon!

A good place to stay, staff were really friendly and helpful. The place is in a good location, close by to the main road and train station. Would recommend people to stay here.

• 6th Apr 2014

Had a blast, no other place like it. Hands down check into this hostel!

• 5th Apr 2014

Excellent stay and helpful staff, although my card didn't work for my room door or the front door of the hostel , when I asked for a new one they told me there was nothing wrong with it, minor complaint, I'll still be recommending the hostel and stopping again

• 4th Apr 2014

Flying Pig was a pretty awesome place to stay. The location was amazing and I loved coming home every night to people in the bar and smoking room. The bedroom would have been great if not for my ridiculously rude and loud roommates - thankfully they offer free earplugs at the front. The downstairs "happy room" was cool too - you can rent movies & chill down there if you'd like. Breakfast was average. Overall it was a fun hostel but don't stay here if you're looking for a quiet time in Amsterdam.

Was only here for a 14hr layover, but the place was amazing! great atmosphere, they had a pool table in the front, smoking room in the back. we booked for two in an 18person dorm, and got a queen size bunk bed for the both of us :) staff was very professional and friendly. there was someone at the front desk 24/7. we had an early flight so we checked out at 6am and people were still up and hanging out in the lobby/common area. location was great. 10 min walk from amsterdam centraal station.

Great stay at the flying pig! Great location and staff very helpful! Look forward to going back soon!

Aside from the price, this place was awesome! I was supposed to stay 3-nights but had leave early for a death in my family, so they let me stay only one night, which was awesome since there's a 2-night minimum. I literally dropped my bags on my bed, explained my situation to the bartender and she gave me an awesome "this is what to do with your 15 hours in Amsterdam" game-plan. I got back to my room just in time to grab my bags off my bed and head to the airport. I'll definitely come back!

Great Great hostel! Well located, has everything a backpacker needs! Light and charger in the bed, good showers! Only missed a cool lounge to relax and use the internet, because the lounge is a pub and you don't feel conformable going on relaxed clothes and flip flops

Fantastic. I can safely say the security, cleanliness and location were fantastic. You're within minutes of everything from cafes and shops, to quaint canals and museums. I've never stayed in a hostel that was so clean and I showered twice a day yet hardly saw as much as a stray hair on the bathroom floors. The staff were also invariably fantastic, everything you could want from Hostel staff. The atmosphere was chilled and sociable. I couldn't find anywhere cheaper and it's absolutely worth it.

• 27th Mar 2014

Great place to stay! Amazing atmosphere and helpful staff, good location aswell. Would highly recommend!

• 27th Mar 2014
  • Scotland

The best hostel i have stayed at in Amsterdam. The location is brilliant in the middle of Amsterdam's action and the security is brilliantly handled. The bar has some of the cheapest prices in Amsterdam and the smoking room is fantastic. The showers and bedrooms are pretty clean and the 32 man dorm is a little noisy, but what do you expect for the price.

nice staff, free locker storage, cage was too small for medium luggage to lock, room floor creaking, bed creaking, bed is small and cramp, if you're about 1.7m , this bed will be a little cramp for you, good location, really central, simple continental breakfast was good, free storage after check out is good. Will still stay here if I come back though.

This is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. It's clean and everyone- the staff and the people staying there, were so friendly. The hostel bar and smoking room are really fun and are a great place to meet people from all over. Also, they have the best free breakfast I've ever had. That chocolate spread for the toast is amazing. I wish I could have brought some home with me!

Really enjoyed our stay. Nice staff and excellent location.

Great hostel, nice staff. Keep it up!