Flying Pig Uptown Reviews

Vossiusstraat 46, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Very cute cat roaming the hostel, that was awesome. facilities are clean and it's close to food/entertainment, but everything is SO cramped and there are no elevators

Fun hostel, right next to Vodelpark. Smoking room is awesome where you can meet a lot of cool people. Bar is cheap and fun. Best hostel in Amsterdam. Staff very welcoming.

Brilliant !

• 27th Aug 2015

The flying Pig Uptown is a clean hostel. Good shower and toilet facilities. Staff are helpful and the bar is lively. Breakfast came with boiled eggs :) 1 negative: the kitchen is open 1pm - 10pm. We were unable to prepare food in the morning for lunch later that day. They would open the kitchen if u wanted to get a lunch box from the fridge, but no preparing sandwiches etc before 1pm. Also, the bar area is the eating area which was too overcrowded and noisy at night to comfortably eat dinner.

Hi there, Thanks for leaving us your nice and helpful review. After breakfast we need to clear and clean everything that was used for breakfast which runs until 11. Our staff have to use the little space we have to clean the kitchen for the guests and prepare for the bar to open. This is the reason why we can't open the kitchen earlier, unfortunately. Again, thanks for your comments, we hope to see you back some day. Cheers, The Flying Pig Uptown

Nice hostel, a bit away from the city center but still in walking range. Stairs, stairs, stairs. Lots of stairs, definitely must have an able body. Still a solid place. I'd stay again.

Staff party that went on until 6am meant no one in my dorm could sleep! So inconsiderate! Average cleanliness and facilities. Security was ok (under bed lockers) but all were taken so I had to just leave my bag loose in the room. Checked out after 1night. In fairness, hostel were apologetic about staff party and refunded me but just goes to show it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Not a place for sleeping and culture but I would say it's nice if you've come to party!

We had a wonderful time at the Flying Pig! As soon as we came to the door we were greeted by a group of people staying there, just having a good time. The staff was very friendly, the bar was a great place to hang out and they played great music at all hours of the day. My boyfriend and I loved the double bunk so we were able to sleep next to each other (this was difficult to find in most hostels without a private room). Highly recommend for anyone looking for a fun time in Amsterdam!

Lovely staff and very friendly relaxed environment. Loved the fact breakfast is included!

Couple of things - the atmosphere at this hostel is just amazing. The bar is wonderful, happy hour has amazing prices, and all of the staff/bartenders were friendly and helpful. Not enough good things to say!! Second, the bathroom situation here is not ideal. Two showers and one toilet per floor. I never found myself waiting for a shower or anything, but there was a definite lack of space. Overall, awesome place to stay and would highly recommend it!

Very friendly staff, hopping bar and extremely packed and social smoking room. This hostel is a great place to hang out for the night and meet people, as it's a very unique and fun atmosphere. My only complaint is the early 10:30 checkout time and they didn't have a free storage rooms for my bags while I went to Anne Frank museum before my flight that afternoon. Breakfast was included, tasty, and well maintained beginning at 7:30 am. The beds are extremely comfortable with outlets by your head!

• 23rd Aug 2015

Thanks for your kind review. Good to hear you thoroughly enjoyed yourself at the bar! We have chosen to provide (paid) lockers as they keep your belongings much safer than a luggage room where everyone walks in and out. We only charge 40 cents per hour so that's still backpacker-budget-friendly, right? Anyway, thanks and hope to see you back at the Pig some day! Ciao, The Flying Pig Uptown

Fantastic party hostel with a great atmosphere and really friendly, welcoming staff - who even insisted on doing our washing up after we cooked in the (well-equipped and very handy) kitchen! The bar was very lively and you can bring your own drinks, but on Friday / Saturday nights you'll hear the music in your room. Top location right opposite a lovely park with supermarkets nearby. Could do with more showers and toilets, though.

Would have loved a laundry and the stairs to level 4 were something else!!

Thanks for your feedback! We really appreciate this and we are happy to see you had a great time staying with us :) Sorry we don't have a laundry, but there is one close to the hostel! We don't have an elevator unfortunately, due to the traditional Dutch architecture of our building. Our staff is always ready to help out bringing luggage upstairs, though! Thanks again for your time. The Flying Pig Uptown

Bathrooms really really small. Stairs everywhere.

Hi there, Thanks for leaving us your review. Amsterdam has a lot of things to offer... space is not quite one of them ;-) Our hostel is in a typical Amsterdam residential building, very tall and very narrow and indeed with a lot of stairs. Hope you still had a good time with our staff and other guests. Cheers, The Flying Pig Uptown

Not sure how this hostel has gained this much popularity. Tiny and crampt 8 bed dorm and way too expensive. Atmosphere was average. Not really a backpackers hostel but more of a weekend bender place. Wouldn't stay again.

This is by far the best hostel I've ever stayed in. The atmosphere is absolutely amazing. Perfect for solo backpackers, go into the smoking room and you will meet tons of people. Love the extra showers and toilets outside of the room!! Best hostel ever!!!

You made us smile from ear to ear :-) Good to have you stay with us. See you next time!

A lovely, easy going hostel with excellent staff and location! Full of lovely guests as well!

Hi there, Thank you so much for leaving this great feedback! We really appreciate it you took the time to fill this out and we are very happy you had such a good time with us! Thanks again :) The Flying Pig Uptown

Everything about the hostel was great - located in uptown - it helped me escape the crowds of amsterdam. Very friendly staff with lots of info on the happenings in the city around. Great bar/cafe/smoking room. Clean (mostly). The atmosphere was great for hanging out and the breakfast was the best on my stays across Europe. Only gripe is with the number of stairs I had to climb to get to my room !

This is the hostel for weed smokers. Almost everyone is constantly high, even the staff members. Perfect for weed addicted. But I think that's too much.. Moreover, rooms and bathrooms are not that perfect, and the money asked was exagerated.

Lively backpacker hostel with a great atmosphere. It is located right across from Vondelpark so it is away from the canal area, but it is still close enough to walk or get public transport to those areas. Plus it was nice being away from the tourists! The rooms were clean with good storage for backpacks. Ensuite bathroom was small but clean. The bar was really good and offered pizza as well as drinks. The staff were helpful. Overall I would definitely recommend this hostel.

Only stayed for 36 hours, but a very chill hostel. Smoking area by bar. Offer standard breakfast(cereal, toast, juice/coffee), as well as daily supper specials that you can pay and get. Cash only bar. Need to be buzzed inside, so felt safe. Under bed lockers, good showers, clean bathrooms. Close to central area(not far to be anywhere in Amsterdam, especially if you rent a bike). Staff had good tips on where to go, what shops to see, etc. Most expensive hostel on my trip, but it was worth it.