Formosa Backpackers Hostel Reviews

206 Jian Guo Road, Hualien City, Hualien, Taiwan

The Formosa Backpacker is a small nice Backpacker, the Backpacker is the the money definitely worth, the only things which should be better, are the showers. Sometimes you got warm then hot water or cold, thats not fun especially the hot water can burn you. The Backpacker is very familiar it´s like you stay at your friends house, the stuff is very nice and is also happy to play some rounds card games with the guests if not much is to do :) So all in all a really nice hostel. Stefan

Danke Stefan,it was great to have you stay with us and we are happy to know that you feel part of formosa backpackers family,we will try our best for our lovely guests and all the best to you and enjoy your time in taiwan.

The staffs at Formosa Backpackers Hostel were very friendly and knowledgeable, informing me of places to visit in Hualien and the nearby attractions, especially Jane who gave me directions to get to different locations. They also introduced me to the good foods in Hualien. The hostel is located a little far from the train station but it is reachable if you don't mind walking some distance but being located in the city area, it is rather accessible and is alsolocated near Ziqiang Night Market.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • Singapore

There is no staff around before 9.30 in the morning, or after 22 pm. The washing machine was broken and remained unfixed, the bar is most of the time unattended, there is no kitchen or even a microwave. It looks very nice from the outside, and it looks as if there is good service, but most of the time it's not available.

• 5th Dec 2014

I wasn't there for long, I was mainly in the area for the Taroko gorge (beautiful), so I can't comment too much on Haulien as a whole. The hostel was nice, although i felt like location could have been a bit better. I was in a dorm, but I guess it was low season because I was the only one in that room, so it was particularly quiet and restful, but I wouldn't rely on that. The bar in the main floor is moderately well priced, better than most local bars, worse than the 7-11 of course.

Just stayed there two nights and was surprised by the great hospitality and kindness of the people running the place. Kind of laid back, rather random interior, which I liked. Announcment to have the "best coffee in town" seems a little exaggerated, but cute try...:-.

• 30th Nov 2014

No breakfast: No self catering facilities. No washingmachine available. WiFi free but poor. Cleanliness of the room: long black hair on the floor

We are cleaning our hostel very hard everyday,and we will keep our hard work for the hostel guests.thank you for the advice and we will imporve our work. And bon voyage!

Formosa has the potentiol to be a very great hostel. The entrance is awesome I loved the little Bar where you can get a drink. The design is awesome. Bikes rental deal was amazing. 5 hours for $150. But the toilet was average. Shower head was broken, a bit smelly and Mattress was very soft. All in all it was Ok :)

The staff are very friendly, and informative. She provided me a local "foodie" map to find the good food around! The hostel also provides Bikes that are free for the first 4 hours! The rooms are spacious, and has an indoor and outdoor common area. The beds are comfortable, just that I hit my head on the upper bed frame a few times. There are no lockers in the room though, which can be alittle inconvenient.

Dated decor. Very good atmosphere full of young backpackers. It did feel like I time travelled back in time to 15 years ago though. The world has moved on in terms of hostel standards and it's high time this hostel was refurbished. What was quaint and 'atmospheric' then is now merely below standards especially since this is Taiwan.

We will imporve our work for the hostel,and hope to see you again in hualien,Bon voyage!

Cosy bar and very helpful staff! It was raibing and they organized a movie evening.

Thank you phoene,hope to see you again and all the best for you :)

This hostel had some great potential, but unfortunately we found it to be rather empty and In all honesty a little boring. We as a result tried to only come back when we needed to sleep. The girl working there was very lovely though.

• 10th Nov 2014

The room was bright and clean and the staff was very helpful and did creat a Nice atmosphere

Thank you,and we hope to see you again in Hualien,Formosa backpackers is always your home away from home in taiwan.

Stayed here for two nights. 15-20mins walk from the station. The room was good, but on the second day, me and my sister woke up with itchy and found a lot of small bump on our hand and legs. :(( My sister said when she proceed to check in, the room not cleaned from previous guests. We report to hostel staff and she gave us an ointment to reduce the itchy. She's very friendly and helpful tho. Anw, the hostel have some bicycle, and we can use it to explore the city, for free (yeyy!)

Really nice staff. However there are BEDBUGS in the room. Therefote we asked for a refund and changed hostel..

• 31st Oct 2014
  • Switzerland

다양한 활동들이 마련되어 있어 준비를 하지않고 즉흥여행을 하시는 분들에게 적합할듯 합니다 비교적 기차역에서 멀긴하지만 스탭분 너무 친절하고 방도깨끗!! 가격도 저렴!! 한국분들 별로없고 거의 서양분들이 계시더라구요!!직원분 영어잘하시니 중국어못하시는분들도 걱정 말고 방문하세요!

• 31st Oct 2014
  • South Korea

it advertised to be close to the train station - this is not true

Nice cozy place. Only stayed two night, visiting Tarako and walking around town so didn't spend alot of time at the hostel, but seemed like a place to meet other travelers. Clean rooms.

Very nice and very friendly staff. I definitely recommend this hostel!

Tack tack Viktoria,Formosa backpackers is always your home away from home in taiwan. Hope to see you again in hualien,all the best for you!!

A very nice hostel, friendly helpful staff and the way the building is set up is really perfect

Close to night market and train station, good place to meet other travellers and friendly, helpful staff. Would stay here again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3