Formosa Backpackers Hostel Reviews

206 Jian Guo Road, Hualien City, Hualien, Taiwan

Nice hostel with helpful staff and not too far from all attractions. Though I would say that a bar is advertised though really there is not the atmosphere of a bar, guests didn't really seem to sit in common area and if they did everyone was on their laptops and no one was drinking, but if you come to Hualien for Taroko Gorge I think it's great as you can get a good night sleep to get up early for hiking.

It's been very social at the hostel also due to a movie night. Beds been okay only that whenever you turned it made loud noises and well the shower curtain should get exchanged as is really doesnt look good anymore.

we run backpackers movie night every 2 weeks,and we try to sharing good film with everyone,and we will change new shower curtain for the bathroom.

A great backpackers. Located close to train station. Friendly fellow travelers stayed here, and the English speaking staff were very friendly and very helpful. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and tidy. The common area was great- couch with blankets and a library of books to read after a long day out. There is a movie night on Saturday night which was fun. The staff are able to organise day trips for you (I did river trekking, and it was a highlight of my stay). Would highly recommend.

Thank you James,it was really nice to meet you and we are glad that you enjoy your stay with our backpacker :) we hope to see you again in taiwan and enjoy your time in the island.Bon voyage!!

A really nice experience. Good location and nice staff

Thank you Bryce,it was really happy to know that you have really nice experience stay with us,and we hope to see you again in taiwan,enjoy your traveling and bon voyage my friend.

We ended up staying two nights, it was a wonderful place to spend more time. The staff is helpful and very friendly. They have a massive library and several instruments. The rooms are clean and decorated with a lot of love.

• 11th Feb 2015
  • Switzerland

It is a nice place to stay in Hualian. The staff was very friendly, if anything they will always help. The last floor has a terrace for the rooms that are in that floor and it is very calm up there. The only problem was that in the morning they were cleaning other rooms and the noise woke us up (before we wanted to).

• 6th Feb 2015
  • Nicaragua

Thank you Heberto,it was really nice to meet you,and we will try to keep our work improving for our guests.we hope to see you again in Hualien and bon voyage!!

Really happy with this hostel. The staff were all wonderful, and at least the woman that we interacted with spoke really good English, which was helpful, since my Mandarin is pretty poor. The rooms are very simple, but the lobby/lounge area always seems to have people hanging out in it and there's a nice selection of drinks at the bar. There's a bathroom with a shower on every floor and I never had to wait to use one.

Certainly the nicest of the handful of hostels I've stayed in around Taiwan - the best beds, good common room (with outside seating too), lots of space in the dorm (many hostels would would have put another bunkbed or two in the available space). Very impressed

Thank you Richard,it was great to have you stayed with us,and you enjoy your time at our backpackers,hope to see you next time in Taiwan,and all the best for you our friend.

Formosa is a friendly, clean place. It was very slightly hard to find at first, but I think that was more my fault than anything. I recommend Formosa Backpackers to anyone who needs simple, affordable accommodation in Hualien.

Thank you Jennifer,we are very happy that you enjoy your time staying with us, we will keep our good work for our lovely guests,and really nice to meet you.

Super affordable. We stayed in a double room, which was very clean and comfortable. Shared bathroom was also very clean. Great atmosphere with friendly and helpful staff. I would stay here again!

• 10th Jan 2015

Thank you Heather,we are very happy that you enjoy your time stay with us,and that make our day very happy and full fill.We will keep our good work for our lovely guests,and hope to see you again in Hualien.

hard beds, but very clean

I loved my stay in Formosa and the owner being an experienced traveler herself has everything you need in this hostel. The people here are nice, the staff are very helpful and speak English, the atmosphere is great, plenty of helpful advice on getting around Hualien, I really highly recommend staying here should you visit Hualien, Thank you for making my stay here a pleasant one.

We loved this hostel! The environment was great and the owner gave us awesome suggestions as to where to eat. The only problem we encountered was the second floor bathroom always smelled like the sewage was backing up. Other than that it was awesome!

Excellent hostel to stay if you like to hang out with other travellers and get information from the owner. I happened to go there on Christmas Eve, the owner held a wonderful and warm party back then. Excellent atmosphere!

Good value for money! We stayed there for Christmas Eve. The christmas dinner was really great and a good opportunity to get in touch witg other people!

• 23rd Dec 2014

Great place with great vibe. Rooms are very spacious.

The Formosa Backpacker is a small nice Backpacker, the Backpacker is the the money definitely worth, the only things which should be better, are the showers. Sometimes you got warm then hot water or cold, thats not fun especially the hot water can burn you. The Backpacker is very familiar it´s like you stay at your friends house, the stuff is very nice and is also happy to play some rounds card games with the guests if not much is to do :) So all in all a really nice hostel. Stefan

Danke Stefan,it was great to have you stay with us and we are happy to know that you feel part of formosa backpackers family,we will try our best for our lovely guests and all the best to you and enjoy your time in taiwan.

The staffs at Formosa Backpackers Hostel were very friendly and knowledgeable, informing me of places to visit in Hualien and the nearby attractions, especially Jane who gave me directions to get to different locations. They also introduced me to the good foods in Hualien. The hostel is located a little far from the train station but it is reachable if you don't mind walking some distance but being located in the city area, it is rather accessible and is alsolocated near Ziqiang Night Market.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • Singapore

There is no staff around before 9.30 in the morning, or after 22 pm. The washing machine was broken and remained unfixed, the bar is most of the time unattended, there is no kitchen or even a microwave. It looks very nice from the outside, and it looks as if there is good service, but most of the time it's not available.

• 5th Dec 2014

I wasn't there for long, I was mainly in the area for the Taroko gorge (beautiful), so I can't comment too much on Haulien as a whole. The hostel was nice, although i felt like location could have been a bit better. I was in a dorm, but I guess it was low season because I was the only one in that room, so it was particularly quiet and restful, but I wouldn't rely on that. The bar in the main floor is moderately well priced, better than most local bars, worse than the 7-11 of course.

« first « Prev 1 2 3