Formosa Backpackers Hostel Reviews

206 Jian Guo Road, Hualien City, Hualien, Taiwan

Certainly the nicest of the handful of hostels I've stayed in around Taiwan - the best beds, good common room (with outside seating too), lots of space in the dorm (many hostels would would have put another bunkbed or two in the available space). Very impressed

Thank you Richard,it was great to have you stayed with us,and you enjoy your time at our backpackers,hope to see you next time in Taiwan,and all the best for you our friend.

Formosa is a friendly, clean place. It was very slightly hard to find at first, but I think that was more my fault than anything. I recommend Formosa Backpackers to anyone who needs simple, affordable accommodation in Hualien.

Thank you Jennifer,we are very happy that you enjoy your time staying with us, we will keep our good work for our lovely guests,and really nice to meet you.

Super affordable. We stayed in a double room, which was very clean and comfortable. Shared bathroom was also very clean. Great atmosphere with friendly and helpful staff. I would stay here again!

• 10th Jan 2015

Thank you Heather,we are very happy that you enjoy your time stay with us,and that make our day very happy and full fill.We will keep our good work for our lovely guests,and hope to see you again in Hualien.

hard beds, but very clean

I loved my stay in Formosa and the owner being an experienced traveler herself has everything you need in this hostel. The people here are nice, the staff are very helpful and speak English, the atmosphere is great, plenty of helpful advice on getting around Hualien, I really highly recommend staying here should you visit Hualien, Thank you for making my stay here a pleasant one.

We loved this hostel! The environment was great and the owner gave us awesome suggestions as to where to eat. The only problem we encountered was the second floor bathroom always smelled like the sewage was backing up. Other than that it was awesome!

Excellent hostel to stay if you like to hang out with other travellers and get information from the owner. I happened to go there on Christmas Eve, the owner held a wonderful and warm party back then. Excellent atmosphere!

Good value for money! We stayed there for Christmas Eve. The christmas dinner was really great and a good opportunity to get in touch witg other people!

• 23rd Dec 2014

Great place with great vibe. Rooms are very spacious.

The Formosa Backpacker is a small nice Backpacker, the Backpacker is the the money definitely worth, the only things which should be better, are the showers. Sometimes you got warm then hot water or cold, thats not fun especially the hot water can burn you. The Backpacker is very familiar it´s like you stay at your friends house, the stuff is very nice and is also happy to play some rounds card games with the guests if not much is to do :) So all in all a really nice hostel. Stefan

Danke Stefan,it was great to have you stay with us and we are happy to know that you feel part of formosa backpackers family,we will try our best for our lovely guests and all the best to you and enjoy your time in taiwan.

The staffs at Formosa Backpackers Hostel were very friendly and knowledgeable, informing me of places to visit in Hualien and the nearby attractions, especially Jane who gave me directions to get to different locations. They also introduced me to the good foods in Hualien. The hostel is located a little far from the train station but it is reachable if you don't mind walking some distance but being located in the city area, it is rather accessible and is alsolocated near Ziqiang Night Market.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • Singapore

There is no staff around before 9.30 in the morning, or after 22 pm. The washing machine was broken and remained unfixed, the bar is most of the time unattended, there is no kitchen or even a microwave. It looks very nice from the outside, and it looks as if there is good service, but most of the time it's not available.

• 5th Dec 2014

I wasn't there for long, I was mainly in the area for the Taroko gorge (beautiful), so I can't comment too much on Haulien as a whole. The hostel was nice, although i felt like location could have been a bit better. I was in a dorm, but I guess it was low season because I was the only one in that room, so it was particularly quiet and restful, but I wouldn't rely on that. The bar in the main floor is moderately well priced, better than most local bars, worse than the 7-11 of course.

Just stayed there two nights and was surprised by the great hospitality and kindness of the people running the place. Kind of laid back, rather random interior, which I liked. Announcment to have the "best coffee in town" seems a little exaggerated, but cute try...:-.

No breakfast: No self catering facilities. No washingmachine available. WiFi free but poor. Cleanliness of the room: long black hair on the floor

We are cleaning our hostel very hard everyday,and we will keep our hard work for the hostel guests.thank you for the advice and we will imporve our work. And bon voyage!

Formosa has the potentiol to be a very great hostel. The entrance is awesome I loved the little Bar where you can get a drink. The design is awesome. Bikes rental deal was amazing. 5 hours for $150. But the toilet was average. Shower head was broken, a bit smelly and Mattress was very soft. All in all it was Ok :)

The staff are very friendly, and informative. She provided me a local "foodie" map to find the good food around! The hostel also provides Bikes that are free for the first 4 hours! The rooms are spacious, and has an indoor and outdoor common area. The beds are comfortable, just that I hit my head on the upper bed frame a few times. There are no lockers in the room though, which can be alittle inconvenient.

Dated decor. Very good atmosphere full of young backpackers. It did feel like I time travelled back in time to 15 years ago though. The world has moved on in terms of hostel standards and it's high time this hostel was refurbished. What was quaint and 'atmospheric' then is now merely below standards especially since this is Taiwan.

We will imporve our work for the hostel,and hope to see you again in hualien,Bon voyage!

Cosy bar and very helpful staff! It was raibing and they organized a movie evening.

Thank you phoene,hope to see you again and all the best for you :)

This hostel had some great potential, but unfortunately we found it to be rather empty and In all honesty a little boring. We as a result tried to only come back when we needed to sleep. The girl working there was very lovely though.

• 10th Nov 2014