8.8
Fabulous 674 Total Reviews
8.8
Fabulous 674 Total Reviews
Formosa Backpackers Hostel Located at 206 Jian Guo Road, Hualien City, Hualien.
Taiwan
Hualien 970 206 Jian Guo Road, Hualien City
88% 674
23.9840960 121.6007995
    Rooms available

• Australia, Female, 31-40
17th May 2016

Stayed in the Double Room with an ensuite. Super spacious, attention to detail and even had a backyard :) Cafe was had a scandinavian/industrial touch too it :) was much looked after! Would recommend staying 100%

Thank you,It was really great to know you had great time in Formosa Backpackers,and the room are spacious,our Garden View Double room has its own garden and outdoor shower,its great room to stay. Our new coffee shop is available making coffee and tea for guest everyday :)

10th May 2016
7.1

Check in time was around 3 in the afternoon but I was hoping to go early and at least keep my luggage. I arrived around 12 in noon but there wasn't anybody over there. Hostel was closed from outside so I couldn't even get in. I waited for half n hour but still no sign. Finally I left and came back around 2:30 and then was able go check in. Also there was mosquitos in my room and they don't have electronic mosquitos killer device but after I complained they managed to get me coil.

• Iceland, Female, 18-24
5th May 2016

I would recommend staying here as its a really nice place, with nice atmosphere - it was a bit further away from the train station than I expected but it's very easy to get around - you can even rent bikes from the hostel very cheap! The only issue I really had was with security- whilst you do feel safe I didn't receive a key for my room and the door didn't lock and the shower/bathroom wasn't great but otherwise a really nice hostel with absolutely fantastic, friendly and helpful staff!

Hello, This is Kay. Thank you for your review! I've told my owner about the keys you mentioned. I believe we'll figure it out very soon. By the way, thank you so much for the Iceland to-go lists, it really helps. Hope to see you again soon. Kay

• Netherlands, Female, 25-30
  • Globetrotter
17th Apr 2016

Easy to find! No free pick-up anymore, so just walk - it will take you 15-20 minutes. Facilities are fine. Spacious dorms and beds were ok. Lockers are provided. The cafe is nice! It's kind of a common room as well, since there is no other. No kitchen either - but no need for it. Find the night market to get yourself any food. Bathroom was good. Just one though. I was here during low season, so no need to wait. Staff is very friendly and helpfull! Their English is good!

• USA, Male, 25-30
15th Apr 2016

Great place to stay. If I'm ever back in Hualien, this is where I'll be. Helpful staff. Highly recommended.

• Australia, Male, 25-30
4th Apr 2016

The staff here are super nice and the coffee was excellent! I liked the relaxed common area and the bike hire is cheap. No stress at this place.

Hi Lachlan, thanks for your rating. Hope to see you again soon, do enjoy your trip~~ Cheers, Yachen and Kay

• ab1439
  • Australia, Female, 31-40
29th Mar 2016

Friendly staff. Location is good, about halfway between the train station and downtown - we were able to walk everywhere which was great. Good map of the town was provided which was very helpful. Room was big and clean!

25th Feb 2016

My friend and in stayed in a double room. Very neat and clean with wooden floor. The bathroom was outside in a separate room but as there were no other guests on our floor we got it all to ourselves, and the organic shampoo was a nice touch. The downstairs of the place is a very nicely designed cafe. The owner was very helpful in giving us directions on where to go. Would stay again!

Thank you,it was lovely to have you guys staying with us,we are very happy to know you are enjoy stay with Formosa Backpackers. We hope to see you again in the future,and Bon voyage!

• New Zealand, Couple, 41+
8th Feb 2016

Positives: Nice, clean and friendly place, friendly staff and a good location in Hualian. Lots of bathrooms, so no queues. Negatives: The "free" parking is wherever you can find it on the street, and the Lonely Planet write up is incorrect, inasmuch as there is no communal cooking/coffee making area. There is, however, a very nice cafe downstairs. I marked security down a bit, as I twice found the front security door ajar in the morning, due to a weak spring. A+!

Thank you,it was great to have you staying with us.we hope to see you again in the future and have nice journey and bon voyage!

1st Feb 2016
7.4

Our stay was pleasant. However, I feel like I was not informed accurately that check in was not until 1pm. And we arrived early and the coffee shop/reception area was very quiet, sparse even. Luckily, we were able to leave our bags, get directed to a lunch spot, and check in shortly there after- even if a bit early. The reception was great and offered a lot of great idea of what to do in the area other than the biggest attraction (aka Taroko Gorge).