Formosa Backpackers Hostel Reviews

206 Jian Guo Road, Hualien City, Hualien, Taiwan

the hostel is about a 15 min walk from the trainstation. I took a taxi which was convenient and paid around NT 100.- the hostel has a cool library (not a bookexchange). The rooms are very spacious and bright. the staff is very friendly and helpful. my stay felt very warm and personal. the common room is fantastic with several instruments. it's the only hostel I've ever been where you can come back after hiking and there's a guy playing Beethoven on the piano in the common room -very cool

Thank you Nicolas,we also very happy to hear Beethoven music and also know you have great time stay with Formosa backpackers. it was great to meet you and the book you donated to our library can share with the other travelers,that is awesome! Hope to see you again in taiwan,stay awesome!!

The staff was very nice and helpful !! I think everyone must like this hostel !! :) from HK

謝謝你達文,it was very nice to meet you and have you stay with us,hope to see you again,and you make us very happy that you had great time in formosa backpackers, and we will keep our good works ,cheers!

Great hostel. Loved the piano and library in the common room. My single room was very new, and extremely clean and comfortable. As was the bathroom. Unfortunately, the wifi doesn't extend to the upper floors. Friendly and helpful staff as well. 10-15 minute walk from the train station. One of the nicest, cleanest hostels I've stayed in.

The mattresses were soft and comfortable, and the staff helped us arrange a scooter rental, which is the best way to see Taroko Gorge. The only suggestion that I have is to add a curtain over the small window that faces the bathroom above the bunk bed that is under the window on the 1st floor, 6 bed dorm room. It was very bright every time someone went to the bathroom during the night; when they turned on the light it shone very brightly in my face.

Hello Callie, it was great to have you stay with us,and we will take your advice,and put the curtain on the window for sure. It was really nice to meet you and hope to see you again when you in taiwan :) Have nice journey!bon voyage!!

Staff was really nice! Providing me with all the information about hualien and the surroundings. Was able to rent a scooter and book tours via the hostel. Great bar in which i had the luck of meeting some great people. Nick

• 2nd Aug 2014

Thank you Nick,we are very happy to know you had great time in hualien and we can help you all the travel info and tours you need,we will keep our good works for the travelers,and hope to see you guys again . Bon voyage!

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed. The staff was extremely nice. She is english speaker and she helped us with the tourism routes, booking trains and hostels for the next destination. The lobby is really pleasant because the bar that is inside, and many backpackers hanging out there. Hope to come again tu Hualien and Formosa Hostel!

Thank you Maria,its good to know you have great time stay with us,and. we are very happy to meet you and your friend,we will keep our good work and help all the travelers need. Hope to see you both again and bon voyage!

Daniel is quite welcoming and took us for the trip himself as guide. the bar on the first floor is nice as well.

I think that you will really like the hostel. it's got a movie night , a barbers service , tours are excellent, It's got really good second hand books [ by the why, they have them in the rooms] and you can rent bikes. you will love the hostel, and you can write a message on the wall. The Spooner family & Stuart. Written by Yan (aged 10)

I thoroughly enjoyed staying at Formosa. The private room is basic but very clean and the air conditioner made it extra comfortable. The staff are very friendly and full of helpful advice. I had a very relaxing stay at Formosa and look forward to staying again.

Thank you Joseph,we are very happy to know that you have comfortable stay at our backpackers,and we will keep doing our good work for our guest and hope to see you again in Taiwan enjoy your journey

超赞的一家店,概念很好,staff都很好很可爱,超喜欢这家店,火车站走过来十五到二十分钟,很多西方背包客,能认识很多朋友

We stayed here for 2 nights. For the money it is pretty worth it but our beds were pretty uncomfortable mattresses on the ground and we also felt pretty itchy sleeping on them at night. The walls are also very thin and it can be pretty loud in the morning especially if you are close to the stairs. There is only one bathroom and shower per floor and each floors is different but they are relatively clean. Staff is friendly and helpful and it is cheap and clean for a short stay.

Hello Samantha,it was really nice to meet you,and hope to see you guys again in hualien,enjoy your time in taiwan.

Love it! The best thing is that they have a piano in the common area. The atmosphere is good and met nice people there. The bed is so comfyyyyy and the toilet is clean and the staff are nice and give useful information there's also bike hiring service

Thank you Yanky,we are very happy you have good time stayed with us,and all the guests are great and friendly. We will keep on our good work,keep hostel clean and comfy.hope to see you again in Hualien. Have nice trip in the island.

Staff had a lot of recommendations. They were sweet. We had a lovely saturday movie night. The beds were thick. However, the bathroom was not clean and there was no kitchen available for guests.

• 8th Jul 2014

Thank you Nadia,it's great to have you stay with us. we try to help our guest any travel info and map they need. and we will keep our good work for the hostel we are building a new shower and toilets for the guest ,so the new bathroom will be tidy and clean. have nice traveling in the island and bon voyage!

no public kitchen is the only pity. hostel is near the train station but a bit far from the centre. but Hualien is really a small city so wouldn't be bother any. good expericen in Formosa. very nice staff~

Hello Jejin, it was great to have you stay with us,and hope to see you next time when you travel to Hualien again. In our common area,we do have public refrigerator and boil water machine,and sink,you can make hot drink or cutting fruit.

Totally fine place to stay in Hualien. It is a 5+ minute walk from the main strip of stores and restaurants. The common area in the facility doesn't have AC which made it a little hot during July. The staff was very helpful.

住了两天double,环境不错很舒服staff超级人好!大厅还有钢琴简直惊喜!不会很闹洗手间很干净,床是床垫铺在地上类似于榻榻米一样很软,但是早上可能会被路过的飞机声吵到……旁边就有7-11,走去主路大概15分钟,第一次来从火车站走可能不好找,综合来讲很赞啦~

Thank you,and we glad to hear you have good time,and we will keep doing our good work and try to make our guest have comfortable stay when they are in Hualien.cheers

The thing I like the most about Formosa is its mini Library. It's really nice to read the books donated by different travelers coming from different countries. (I'd do it if I had the time) Guitars and African drums are available for music lovers to share the joy of music in common area. However, the location is a bit far away from the Hualien station. It takes around 30min to get to Formosa from the station. I miss the dog btw!

BEDBUGSSSSSSS. I slept in 4bed dorm and double bed private. I got bitten sooooo bad. Almost a month since my stay there and the bites have yet to recover. I will never return again.

No worry !!!!Me and our staff check the room and we didnt find any bug,and the bed and bed sheets are clean! It could be mosquito.please dont panic! :)

Private rooms are basic but have a good vibe, they are clean and all facilities are working well. Private rooms are on top floor, there's also a terrace where you can sit outside. The ground floor houses a library of about 1500 english books, but this ground floor reception area is a bit humid and not so clean, therefore the books are partly in bad shape. WiFi is only available at the ground floor and first floor, the signal is too weak on the upper floors. Anyway I highly recommend this hostel

• 20th Jun 2014

Thank you Steffen,we are glad you enjoy your stay with us, and enjoy your you time while you traveling in the island. Bon voyage!!

Place was clean and small, which was nice. However it was very loud, you could hear anybody walking up the stairs making sleeping hard. Also the staff gives pretty bad travel advice, ended up having to hitchhike back to town after following their instructions.

Hello Julia Thank you for your comments. We hope you had a good time whilst you visited Hualien, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused to you. We hope to see you again in the future. All the Best

« first « Prev 1 2 3