Four Courts Hostel Reviews

15/17 Merchants Quay, Christchurch (Adjacent to Temple Bar), Dublin, Ireland

I stayed here for 6 nights, and the staff was very accommodating, finding a place for me when my stay at the hostel was up. They were all very eager to help with questions. There were so many people coming in and out which made it exciting but also harder to meet people. I liked the location as it was a just outside of all the hustle and bustle but a couple of minutes walk from it.

(+) location - within walking distance of most tourist attractions in Dublin (+) very helpful friendly staff (+) security (-) very small room and tiny bathroom (-) cleanliness left a lot to be desired (-) breakfast poor - hardly any options to choose from (only jam and butter), no real coffee (only instant one), etc. (-) misleading room title " twin room private" - all other hostels use the word "private" for "private ensuite" - not the case here, as our shower was down the hall

Hi, The room you booked is titled 'Twin room private (WC only)', the other rooms are titled 'Twin room private Ensuite'. The use of the word private is to indicate that the room cannot be booked by bed i.e. 2 strangers sharing as with the dorm rooms. Breakfast offers tea, coffee, juice, milk, a selection of cereals, toast, bread, cookies and is complimentary. It does go unappreciated sometimes but hopefully the majority find it a good start to their day. I do agree that the twin room is small.

Very friendly atmosphere, amenities were all nice and clean!

• 15th Jul 2014

I stayed here with a friend I am travelling with in a twin share and absolutely loved it. The staff were super friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and well suited for a two share. Everything was a short walk from the hostel, especially Temple Bar region which is a visitor hotspot. I would return if I come back to Dublin!

• 14th Jul 2014

Wasn't on any transportation lines, but only 5-15 minutes away from all of them. Very large hostel, there were a few travel groups who dominated the lobby a bit while I was there. Meeting people was a bit hard. Breakfast ended a little early at 9:30. "Eco-friendly" showers required pushing a button every 20 seconds to keep on, but also got uncomfortably hot, no temperature control. Great place for groups, so-so for individuals.

We stayed here with 4 guys for in total 3 nights and the staff had been really nice and helpful to us. We could leave luggage for the time we went trekking in the wicklow mountains which was really helpful. A lot of space to relax, watch a film or jam on the hostel's guitar!

• 13th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Deliberately stayed in this hostel a second time as the first time was so good. Still great three years later.

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Northern Ireland

No wifi in the rooms made it a bit complicated, but had a good stay in overall! Breakfast could be better.

WI-Fi should work in the room but if not, the ground floor areas are all open 24 hours and WI-Fi and internet consoles are readily available. Our breakfast is a simple affair but better than a lot of breakfasts offered by our fellow Hostels. It is a light continental breakfast that is provided free!

' a nice well-situated hostel'.

This review was not meant for our hostel. Below is the email from the guest apologizing for the error: 'Hello! Sorry I left you that awful review on hostel world! It was a mistake. I meant to review another hostel. I emailed hostel world and I think they are going to take it down. So sorry! I had a great time at your hostel.' So guys, Please, please, be careful when reviewing any property as while we have the right to reply, this has been visible for 3 days so far which is a bit lousy.

We cooked only once in 4 days because the kitchen was in an almost unusable state, because people didn't clean up after themselves at all. There should be a way for the hostel to somehow get a grip on that... The twin private was alright and clean. Breakfast was only on for a very limited time (I think it was 7- 9.30?). I know hotels that offer breakfast until later then that, especially for a hostel in a city like Dublin, with bustling nightlife, it seems very odd to close breakfast at 9.30

At first I didn'find my bed. Secondly, when I figured out which was my bed, it hasn't been linened for me. I got there at 9pm and had to waut until 11pm to get the sheets. I believe 16 beds per room is to much. 6 is ok. With sixteen peiple sleeping in the same room, it gets more messy and dirty. There was a weird smell in there as well.

• 11th Jul 2014

Everybody is assigned a particular bed in their room. In this case another guest must have taken your bed either in error or on purpose (if so, shame on them).The staff on duty had to figure out who it was and clarify which bed was available to prevent any arguments late at night when the other guest returned. A certain amount of understanding is required when backpacking. If 16 beds are too much for you there are smaller rooms available for a few euro more, you are on holiday so treat yourself.

The Hostel is very good for the price you pay. The breakfast is fine, the rooms as well. Toilets not that good, but at least are clean. Location and staff are good as well. I would recommend

the hostel was very fine. everything.

• 7th Jul 2014
  • Austria

Really enjoyed this hostel, great location and comfy beds

Great hostel in a central location, comfortable beds, big kitchen, and good wifi. Good place to meet people. Only complaint was the presence of several long time guests who kind of sucked the energy out of the place a bit.

Nice hostel with very helpful staff :)

This hostel may just be better suited for younger travelers. It seemed that most of the people staying there were 18-21 years old. It was not great for a 26 and 30 year old couple. The "free" barbecue is a lie. When asked about it, the front desk worker said that you "Go to a nearby bar, buy a drink and then get like a hamburger or something. It's definitely not gonna fill you up." The sanitary napkin garbages in the women's restrooms were not emptied in the three days that we were there.

Our hostel is for the young at heart regardless of physical age. The free bbq is on every Thursday in a nearby bar. We used to bring everybody up and we had great evenings. Of late, it has become too popular and crowded making it hard to get a beer and forming long ques for limited food. Whilst we still inform guests of its existence we no longer bring them up ourselves. We'll find an alternative. Regular bins are emptied every day, sanitary bins are maintained by an experienced private company.

Great place to stay. Have always made friends with other residents. Lovely staff. Good facilities. Best hostel in Dublin by far.

• 2nd Jul 2014

Very good hostel with really informative and friendly staff. Only downside for me was no wifi in the room.

Great stay for one night; friendly and very helpful staff, clean room and bathroom, and a good location for a night out in Temple Bar!

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Many Thanks, glad you had a good time.