Fox Glacier Inn Reviews

39 Sullivan Road, Fox Glacier, New Zealand

No real common room or lounge, very crammed kitchen with too few seats. Beds extremely worn down and screechy. Worst sleep ever in NZ so far.

There are no common areas to stay. After you check out at 10am you are not allowed to stay in the premises. Long queues for cooking. Also we had the bad experience to have to live with uncivic guests, that were noisy at night and stole food from other guests. The staff didnt do anything about it.

No lockers in the rooms.. the inn is in the strip of alpine guides, have a very nice chalet look.

For the price this was very good and provided all that was needed for a three-night stay. The rooms are simply but functional. I ate in the Fox Inn Restaurant and was impressed by the quality of the food but, above all, by the cheerful and efficient staff. The young people working there really are the greatest asset of the Fox Inn - engaging, and always helpful.

• 10th Feb 2015

Location is great, 3 minutes walking to the hostel from Intecity bus stop. The room is clean and spacious. However, kitchen is a bit small and backpackers there sometimes forget to wash up after cooking.

The room was okay, the bed in our room made a lot of noise with the slightest movement which isn't good for restless sleepers. The bathroom was clean. One of the beds weren't made up when we got there so we couldn't tell if the sheets had been cleaned or not. Reception closed at 8 pm, we were lucky that they hadn't closed yet when we got there or we would have been out of a room for a night. Staff was very friendly! Cheap place to sleep when staying in Fox Glacier if necessary.

It has a good location, but there's not really a common room. There's the kitchen, but it gets a bit cramped. Beds were ok, not great.

When I arrived at the hostel at 9 a clock in the morning I wasn't allowed to stay in the building and use any of the facilities untill 2 a clock. The owner told me to go outside and to come back at 2 a clock. Outside it was raining. The owner was very rude to me and not flexible at all. I decided to change hostels because there was no way to reason with him. After I told him that I was going to change hostels, he said: I gonna charge you the money for the hostel. He charge my creditcard via hw.

This was a nice hostel and it's location was great a few minutes walk from the tourist attractions in the town, so it was easy to get to and from tours. It was clean and our room was nice, but as it was such a big hostel we just felt some of the atmosphere that other hostels have was lost. The kitchen was well equipped, but did get quite crowded at meal times if everyone tried to cook at the same time! Overall though we did really enjoy our stay, the staff were friendly and helpful.

Kitchen and lounge too small. Otherwise excellent hostel and great value. Have to mention the very friendly hosts at reception. Made you feel very welcome.

The staff was lovely and super helpful!

A very nice place.

Great Hostel! It was really familiar. We stayed there for only 3 nights, but in the end the staff there knew us and helped us with everything. On the day when we left, we had to wait for our bus until the afternoon and as it was raining, cloudy and cold all the time, we could stay there in a warm room, with a pool table, and free coffee and tea for us! Thumbs up!

my mattresa was quite used and it felt like hundreds of people having slept in there before, the hostel owner was super inpolite when I asked for luggage storage, the french girl who did my check-in was nice. There's absolutely no atmosphere in this hostel and it just feels like a factory. the day you check-out you have to leave at 10am and if you store your luggage you are not allowed to use kitchen or bathrooms anymore. 200mb wifi for free/night. That's good.

Not enough wifi. Squeaky beds. Other than that it was nice. Reception helped book bus and shuttles. Shuttle to glacier picks you up at hostel which was cool. Bus stop around the corner.

• 30th Nov 2014

Overall it was exactly as advertised. Kitchen decently equipped and pretty clean. Downside was laundry closed overnight so doing late night laundry want possible. Beds very noisy so be prepared for that!

The walls are really thin so we could hear people stomping around upstairs and the fire alarm went off at 6am for no apparent reason. For a place to crash in order to get to the glacier though its okay but I wouldn't want to be there for more than one night.

Beds are very squeaky and the showers setting off fire alarm is a little frustrating. Otherwise a great place to stay, clean and welcoming.

kitchen close before 12pm.

Great hostel! A bit out of the way but fine if you have a car. No lockers available though, but it's a house with only current travelers staying and not much else around, so it's fine.