Fox Glacier Inn Reviews

39 Sullivan Road, Fox Glacier, New Zealand

Didn't like this hostel. The atmosphere was definitely missing. Every hostel I have had uptil now provide herbs to cook and free coffee and tea, nothing of these things were provided by the hostel. The next day we had a bus at 2pm but check out is at 10am so they just put you on the street. 'If you want to use their facilities you can pay for them' is what they told us. Reception is closed between 10am and 2 pm as well which doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't recommend this hostel.

Nice hostel, free wifi, can see glow-worms for free at night 5 mins from the hostel

Small kitchen yet large hostel. Wonderful location and easy to find.

• 9th Mar 2015

Good hostel. The kitchen is too little for all the peoples ans doesn't have enough common areas.

Great place with great staff. Always very keen to assist and make your stay as enjoyable as possible. One big flaw though was the bunk beds. The mattress was so thin I could feel the metal bars when I lay on it and with every slight movement the beds squeaked loudly. Shame that this lets down an otherwise great hostel. Also staff need to clean ensuites every day. Ours was only cleaned once in the 3-4 days I was there.

No real common room or lounge, very crammed kitchen with too few seats. Beds extremely worn down and screechy. Worst sleep ever in NZ so far.

If you drive by your own car, this hostel is good and valuable. But the kitchen is very small and only have a few seats. 10am-12pm is their cleaning time, you will be kick out after 10am. If you are a traveler with the bus, please check the time. My bus was 1330 and I check-out at 10am. I was SITTING in the TV room and waiting the time passed. A lady kicked me out and said I can't not be around and used hostel facilities. You have your right but if you keep doing this.You never be better!

There are no common areas to stay. After you check out at 10am you are not allowed to stay in the premises. Long queues for cooking. Also we had the bad experience to have to live with uncivic guests, that were noisy at night and stole food from other guests. The staff didnt do anything about it.

No lockers in the rooms.. the inn is in the strip of alpine guides, have a very nice chalet look.

For the price this was very good and provided all that was needed for a three-night stay. The rooms are simply but functional. I ate in the Fox Inn Restaurant and was impressed by the quality of the food but, above all, by the cheerful and efficient staff. The young people working there really are the greatest asset of the Fox Inn - engaging, and always helpful.

• 10th Feb 2015

Location is great, 3 minutes walking to the hostel from Intecity bus stop. The room is clean and spacious. However, kitchen is a bit small and backpackers there sometimes forget to wash up after cooking.

The room was okay, the bed in our room made a lot of noise with the slightest movement which isn't good for restless sleepers. The bathroom was clean. One of the beds weren't made up when we got there so we couldn't tell if the sheets had been cleaned or not. Reception closed at 8 pm, we were lucky that they hadn't closed yet when we got there or we would have been out of a room for a night. Staff was very friendly! Cheap place to sleep when staying in Fox Glacier if necessary.

It has a good location, but there's not really a common room. There's the kitchen, but it gets a bit cramped. Beds were ok, not great.

When I arrived at the hostel at 9 a clock in the morning I wasn't allowed to stay in the building and use any of the facilities untill 2 a clock. The owner told me to go outside and to come back at 2 a clock. Outside it was raining. The owner was very rude to me and not flexible at all. I decided to change hostels because there was no way to reason with him. After I told him that I was going to change hostels, he said: I gonna charge you the money for the hostel. He charge my creditcard via hw.

This was a nice hostel and it's location was great a few minutes walk from the tourist attractions in the town, so it was easy to get to and from tours. It was clean and our room was nice, but as it was such a big hostel we just felt some of the atmosphere that other hostels have was lost. The kitchen was well equipped, but did get quite crowded at meal times if everyone tried to cook at the same time! Overall though we did really enjoy our stay, the staff were friendly and helpful.

Kitchen and lounge too small. Otherwise excellent hostel and great value. Have to mention the very friendly hosts at reception. Made you feel very welcome.

The staff was lovely and super helpful!

A very nice place.

Great Hostel! It was really familiar. We stayed there for only 3 nights, but in the end the staff there knew us and helped us with everything. On the day when we left, we had to wait for our bus until the afternoon and as it was raining, cloudy and cold all the time, we could stay there in a warm room, with a pool table, and free coffee and tea for us! Thumbs up!

my mattresa was quite used and it felt like hundreds of people having slept in there before, the hostel owner was super inpolite when I asked for luggage storage, the french girl who did my check-in was nice. There's absolutely no atmosphere in this hostel and it just feels like a factory. the day you check-out you have to leave at 10am and if you store your luggage you are not allowed to use kitchen or bathrooms anymore. 200mb wifi for free/night. That's good.