Franz Josef Montrose Reviews

9 Cron Street, Franz Josef, Franz Josef, New Zealand

Nice hostel with good, attentive staff. Caesar is a great host. That really is the only way to describe him as he effectively treats the place like it is his house and everyone is his guest. The ladies at the front desk were also very helpful in advising me on good walking tracks in the area. The only 'issue' is the number of bathrooms to guests.

Best hostel- got an upgrade- enjoyed a night in a private room for a night! Great dinner and breakfast included!

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. Really good free wifi, great staff (if there were any issues the staff sorted them immediately and they even built new beds in a new room for us when we decided to stay longer!), insanely clean, free parking, great communal areas, fully equipped and clean kitchens, free breakfast and really tasty free soup in the evening. Plus its cheaper than most hostels in NZ. I can't imagine there's anywhere better in Franz Josef!

Really enjoyed my 2 nights at Montrose! Very friendly staff, gave me lots of info on the walks available. Extremely clean all over the hostel, would definitely return! Excellent location too.

The best hostel where I stayed in New Zeland. The owner is always worried with the guests. They offer breakfast and soap in the evening and the rooms and thecommunal areas are confortable. I higly recommend this hostel

I loved this hostel! The managers are a lovely couple from Argentina, and they make the place feel so cozy (lots of movies, free soup in the evening). They even lent me a pair of rain boots and a flashlight so I could go check out a glowworm cave. The beds are comfy, the kitchen is huge, and the common area is well equipped with sofas for lounging when it's too dang cold to go outside. Gracias por todo!! :)

Probably the best hostel we've stayed in! From the moment we checked in we were treated warmly and made to feel at home. The hostel has a big TV and a selection of movies which was perfect for the rainy day we arrived. As soon as we put a movie on we were greeted with a big bowl of popcorn! All facilities were very clean and the staff couldn't be more helpful. To top it all off the hostel is home to a beautiful St Bernard called Olaf!

• 12th Oct 2015
  • Wales

Hostel was in a great location, and the guy at reception was brilliant! He gave us loads of info when we first checked in and was super helpful for our entire stay, with recommendations for places to eat and how to see the glacier. The room was lovely and spacious, although the plastic garden chair was a bit strange. Looked like they were doing some decorating and cleaning in the main building's lounge area whilst we were there. Overall had a great stay, made better by the wonderful staff!

Pleasantly surprised at this hostel! Secure and the staff was friendly and helpful. The only thing was the kitchen had an odd odor. The freshener was trying to mask it instead of prove it. But otherwise, clean place with good free movies.

Nice stay of 2 nights at Montrose, a spot very well located. The very kind host was always available for us and for the other customers. We recommend you to have a stay there in Franz Josef !

heating switched automatically off during the night and it was really cold

I was disappointed with this hostel. It was cold in the common areas when I was there and a funny smell seemed to linger in these areas too. It needs updating I think. The staff were great and very helpful - they made you feel at home. The showers were excellent with lots of hot water, sadly the bathrooms themselves were freezing. Comfy beds and extra heaters were provided in the dorms if needed.