Franz Josef Montrose Reviews

9 Cron Street, Franz Josef, Franz Josef, New Zealand

Great hostel! Free wifi, breakfast and soup, the beds were nice and comfy and the staff were all helpful and friendly I would highly recommend this place

• 2nd Feb 2016

Great location and staff. Clean, friendly environment. The free soup was a real bonus!

The manager is really helpful. We're surprised there is breakfast. Everything is new n clean. If only there is a shelf in the bathroom to put down the towel n clothing. But I'll certainly go back n recommend it.

Overall- the location is great and the staff is friendly. There are issues with the facility... The fridges need to be cleaned out, it's like a puzzle game trying to fit your food in and not knock someone's else's uncovered plate of food or open milk container. They also need more toasters- only having two wasn't enough for the amount of people staying. Also, my bunk bed was missing a plank so when I would get up on the bed, it would cave in.

I had been to two hostels in the area, and this was by far my favorite. Hospitable staff with great recommendations, loved the common area, and I soaked in the sauna after a long day. Comfortable beds and a sheet and blanket. Loved my stay. Thank you!

We had a good experience. (+) free breakfast (+) wifi available at dorms (+) the soup tastes very good (+) friendly staff (-) they should change the pots and frying pan for new ones.

The perfect hostel the owner is so considerate and really knows how to keep backpackers happy!!great kitchen area it's really big and always clean. Free wifi is just such a bonus!!the security is brilliant free parking right in the middle of town aswel. The breakfast and soup are just amazing. The rooms are clean and the heater is perfect for when it gets colder. We had the best time in franz josef and that was mostly down to the hostel thank you!!!!

I rally missed a good atmosphere in the hostel. The kitchen and lounge weren not really inviting to hang around For long. The beds in the drom weren really bad. I missed spikes in the kitchen. Good there was free soup, coffee and breakfast. Some staf were really friendly. other kindof wierd . i wouldnt recommend this place to other backpackers..

There was one showers for 4-5 rooms for 4?preople each, makin toilets and showering difficult. No top sheets were offered on the linens, and the whole place was musty and wet smelling. Great location, though the town is small enough that any spot is reachable by foot. Not the best experience, especially after reading others reviews I expected better.

• 10th Jan 2016

Brilliant place to stay and one of my fav hostels in New Zealand

• 4th Jan 2016

Location is great. Staff was extremely helpful and the free soup was awesome! Hostel facilities are not the best (a bit old) but in general is okay.

Very good hostel, clean, friendly, kitchen could be slightly bigger and do with a re-vamp but otherwise excellent. Fantastic that there is free breakfast and soup on an evening.

It is ok but I will.not.go back for sure.there are not enough showers.and I had to wait for going to the bathroom and take a.shower and you can t use the kitchen from.10 am to 2-pm

Cesar the host was exceptional making us feel so welcome and looked after! I could have stayed here for weeks. The staff were all excellent and the free evening soup was really delicious. We really enjoyed our stay and would rate the hostel highly!

Great layout and very interesting hostel. Location couldn't be beat, and the vibe of the place was much preferrable to the cookie-cutter chain hostels found elsewhere. The soup and breakfast was a very nice touch, even if i didn't partake every day.

it is the perfect place to enjoy the beautiful atmosphere at Franz Josef.

Super friendly staff and a comfortable atmosphere. Thanks for making me feel so welcome!

Lovely staff who brought us popcorn whenever we were watching a film! Free breakfast and soup! We also got an upgrade, very clean and cosy!

• 14th Dec 2015

We booked a private room which put us in the "lodge" not the hostel. It was super clean and almost like a hotel which we enjoyed. Unfortunately there was not much of an atmosphere since it had a hotel style in the lodge. I'm guessing the hostel was better though. Facilities were great. Cleanest hostel/lodge we went to all trip. Only complaint is the family above us that was making loud and mysterious thumping and banging noises all night preventing us from sleeping well.

Its a very clean hostel with a nice lounge area with a lot of sofas and sky tv for a wide range of movies. The free soup for dinner was delicious. The sauna is very small and not very hot, so you dont get thetypical sauna experience, but its good for warming up when its cold outside. The stuff is friendly and the hostel has a very relaxing atmosphere. I would definitely come back and highly recommend this hostel.