Freemans lodge Reviews

65 Wellington street, Freemans bay,Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

A little bit of a walk to downtown but a nice quiet place with friendly people.

We stayed there last February for a couple of nights and really enjoyed it! All cleaned, friendly staff, the best hostel in Auckland for us. Private rooms are awesome. A bit far from the city centre, but ok. Would totally come back

Awesome place. The owner can't do enough to help you. Fridge, tv and free computers in the room. can't praise this place enough.

Very good hostel, if ever in the region again would definitely consider stay there again

• 25th Jan 2013

A nice hostel for a few days in Auckland

Awesome staff, nice rooms, great facilities! I would definitely recommend this hostel!

• 24th Jan 2013

Clean, cosy, good location, staff was very helpful, well equipped kitchen. Room that we got was too small, so it was hard to walk around the bed; but other rooms seemed to be bigger.

Wifi for free but very poor sometimes. Rest is ok but not overwhelming.

Great free box, well-stocked herbs & spices in the kitchen, super clean space, friendly staff, free Internet, decent pressure in the showers. Love it here!

The hostel staff is obsessed with cleaning, which is a nice change from other hostels. This does mean vacuum cleaners at 8:30am, though. There's a TV lounge but people are more likely to congregate on the patio for a smoke, which is annoying if you're in one of the adjoining rooms, as the smell drifts in. Otherwise, people mainly keep to themselves, and it's not loud too late, so it's a great oasis after a day of sightseeing. The owners are very friendly as well.

Hostel stay was good, but they should not put on their advertisement that they have an airport shuttle available for 24 hours. The shuttle is actually just a private owned company that charges a fortune to bring you to their hostel from the airport. I was not happy with this misrepresentation on their website that leads customers to believe it is their own shuttle. I would not have booked with them if I knew this before booking.

• 19th Sep 2012

Asian staff barely spoke und understood English, but owner nice and friendly-location alright, although ca. 10min walk to next bus stop -big, loud pre drink session in the garden till midnight, staff didn't seem to care -Internet for free -bathrooms and toilets clean, but pretty old- For a big city probably alright.

thanks for letting me know that. as you know that you came late after our office hours..thats why i was not there to attend you.as far as loud sessions are concer i was also very surprised .this is not common at all .our lodge is quite famous for its homelyand clean atmosphere. this hostel is not party hostel and i will make sure that this wont happen again.Enjoy your trip ahead.

Other places charge insane amounts for Internet access, here wifi and Internet computers are free to use (some rooms even have an own Internet computer). The staff is friendly. The location is not central, but within walking distance to the center. The place is not horribly bad, but I'd recommend a renovation of the buildings.

THIS PLACE HAS REALLY GONE DOWN AS FAR AS CLEANLINESS. I WAS THERE THREE YEARS AGO AND I CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE. I COULD SMELL MOULD, THE KITCHEN IS DEPLORABLE. THEY NEED A COMPLETE OVERHAUL TO GET IT TOO A PLACE WHERE THEY SHOULD BE PROUD OF. THE AWARD THEY HAVE FOR CLEANLINESS THEY HAVE DIPLAYED IS A FARCE. I THINK THEY HAVE A CASH COW BUT UNWILLING TO KEEP IT UP. EVENTUALLY PEOPLE WILL REALIZE IT AND THEY WELL BE FORCED TO IMPROVE IT OR THEY WON'T GET CUSTOMERS.

Really nice house - quite clean, and the manager is very friendly and professional. Little far out of the city (though near to cafes and shops), and nobody answered the door when I arrived first, which put me off.

Average hostel, at least the internet was free, although it was not very difficult obtaining the WiFi while in the basement. Kitchen in the main house is big enough for 2 people to cook at one time, unfortunately there were about 20 people staying in the main house.

hi andrew thanks for your comments.Just to let you know that we do have one more kitchen for the guests.so altogether we have 2 kitchens for 20 guests. thanks

The free WiFi is a generous and appreciated gesture, and the dorm I stayed in was clean and airy. No bunkbeds is also a nice touch. While I do select my accommodation based on cleanliness, which, to be fair, takes a great deal of time to keep up, the cleaning here does start a bit early. Being turfed out of the small kitchen at 8.45 am by the staff member cleaning the stove (a bit rudely at that), when I merely wanted to wash my breakfast plate and coffee mug, was a bit odd to me.

Hi Jessica Thanks for staying in Freemans Lodge.The reason we start early cleaning is so the guests can use the clean facilities when they wake up in the morning.Iam very sorry if you found it rude when the staff was cleaning the gas stove.We will make sure it does not happen again. We look forward to your next visit to stay in Freemans Lodge , Auckland

Very pleasant stay, great staff, good bed, and Very clean place.

This an excellent hostel! A cozy atmosphere, good facilities, friendly, and quiet at night. This is not a party hostel if that's your thing. The best thing about the hostel is it's owner, Seema, who will work hard to make sure you have a good time in New Zealand. She has a lot of info, many connections, and can help you book your holiday the way you want it. So stay here and enjoy!

• 23rd Nov 2011

The hostel is located 15min walk from the main street in Auckland. It is clean and rather calm. Party people do not come here so you can expect to sleep well at night. However, there are also families so if you do like to go out til late and sleep longer in the morning, it's not the right place. Staff is extremely nice and helpful. As soon as I was back in Auckland it was my first choice again.