Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

Located in a good area, close to city centre and the train stations. The female reception worker was very nice and helpful compared to who I think was the male manager who made us feel awkward and not very friendly.

• 21st Aug 2015
  • Northern Ireland

I stayed in this hostel two days in August 2015. I saw multiple cockroaches in the common area and the staff promised to give me the change (9 dollars) on my check out, but surprisingly, they didn't.

On our 5 month RTW trip this hostel was the most expensive per person per night and with that in mind the experience was fairly average. The staff were friendly and helpful and the location good. However the building was quite old and not overly clean. The beds in our dorm were very poor and creaky. Breakfast was basic but good, a nice selection of cereal, bread and pancakes. It was adequate for our needs but did not live up to some of the cheaper hostels we have stayed in elsewhere.

The only thing that wasn't great is the ac, the room only had a fan and it was really, really hot. Other than that, great hostel, awesome location, walkable distance to downtown, great stuff, cool living room. I loved it and would go back!

• 16th Aug 2015
  • Slovenia

The kitchen only had one small burner and a rice cooker, it was also inconveniently low on cutlery. The staff, while very friendly, seemed incompetent, and one particular member was far too forward with me.

The location of Friend Street Hostel is definitely good, right next to North Station and not far from Quincy Market by foot. I liked the fact, that they offer a very simple complimentary breakfast. We booked the 10-bed female dorm, which turned out to be a 12 bed room. Of course there isn't much room left for luggage. The showers in the common bathroom could have been cleaner. After all I think it is way too expensive compared to other hostels, that offer more service for the half price.

The dirtiest hostel I've ever bin. Wireless didn't work at all. Showers, toilets quite dirty. Beds were uncomfortable and very loud at every movement. Kitchen didn't got any stoves, tables were dirty all the time . Very loud air conditioning in the dorm. But still nice people.

The 10 bed room had windows that wouldn't open and fans that just circulated warm air. Needless to say it was one of the worst sleeps I've had in a hostel. But it's super close to the garden and great for one night when you have an early flight.

This hostel is the worst! There is no hot water. The wifi signal was very poor and the room is crowded and hot. Some of the staffs are very unfriendly, other's are nice. People don't really talk here, I guess the atmosphere (crowded and bad air flow) just doesn't make you want to talk!

no hot water,the location is far away from center of city.

• 28th Jul 2015

It was a pity that the card payment machine was not working but there are plenty of ATMs within walking distance. The hostel might want to review the blinds in room 2?

• 25th Jul 2015

Although the location was nice and the staff were friendly, the cleanliness of this hostel was not good enough. The tables in the lounge were very sticky, as well as the floor, and the dorm smelled like mould. Even worse was the fact that there was no hot water during my entire stay (3 nights). According to a fellow guest, which was later confirmed by a staff member, there hadn't been hot water for at least two weeks and it did not seem like a priority to the proprietor to fix this.

• 24th Jul 2015

On the website it says there is a kitchen: this is a countertop with a refrigerator (really dirty inside...) So there is no possibility of actually making food since there is no stove. 'Free breakfast included' meaning one dirty pack of cornflakes&old milk. Stains on the mattress. Last day we saw a coackroach in the bathroom!! We were here 4 nights and every day we had an ice cold shower. The good thing of course: it has an excellent location but I would never go here again in my life.

Location was very good and staff were friendly. However, no hot water, poor wifi connection and lack of power outlets that worked could definitely be improved upon.

• 23rd Jul 2015
  • Wales

Really friendly hostel, interested staff and a small common room so you can get to know the other guests. In the summer heat the limited air conditioning was straining to do it's best, also smaller padlocks won't fit on the lockers which is a strange limitation. However overall was a very enjoyable place to stay, less flash than Boston's HI but certainly cosy-er. If you're lucky you might get a free doughnut too...

We planned to stay here for three nights, but we checked out the third day morning with great disappointment. The hostel didn't tell us that they don't have hot water for shower when we paid. They never fixed the problem during our stay. We left early at the 3rd day morning and asked for refund of the third night which we didn't stay, but the staff said we have to write emails. After two emails, they said no refunds. We were forced to leave due to the terrible environment and we have to pay?!

We were greeted with a tasty clam soup for free!! The hostel in nice and clean with enough bathrooms and showers. We had nice talk with the front desk guy. We were struggling with parking for the car, but this is not up to the hostel. Only one suggestion, the matresses are plastic covered!! please change this because they are really noisy and not comfortable. Highly recommended hostel. Thanks!!

The guy's who checked us in and out were really helpful and nice, others rude. The place was a dump. Literally disgusting!! We expected hostel standard , but the place was a hole. The tables were sticky the floors were dirty, the corners of the room along with the rest of the room were disgusting NEVER ever looked like they had been cleaned. Stained matresses. The bathrooms were horrific the tap handle were broken, hair in the plug holes and no HOT WATER. Nothing all hot water shut off.

• 14th Jul 2015

I waited 1.5 hrs for the reception to let me get in bed. The computer was down so I could not check in. Finally he let me go to bed as long as I promised to pay when I got up in the morning. Of course I paid, but it really was inconvenient to wait till 2am to go to bed!! You need a manual way of taking credit cards if necessary. This was unfair to me. My flight was already 3 hrs late arriving to Boston, this was a mess to start with. The dorm was full too.

The only thing that was good for me it was that it was near the TD Garden. Internet access was super difficult. I really didn't like it, stayed there for one night only.

• 8th Jul 2015