Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

It was a pity that the card payment machine was not working but there are plenty of ATMs within walking distance. The hostel might want to review the blinds in room 2?

• 25th Jul 2015

Location was very good and staff were friendly. However, no hot water, poor wifi connection and lack of power outlets that worked could definitely be improved upon.

• 23rd Jul 2015
  • Wales

We planned to stay here for three nights, but we checked out the third day morning with great disappointment. The hostel didn't tell us that they don't have hot water for shower when we paid. They never fixed the problem during our stay. We left early at the 3rd day morning and asked for refund of the third night which we didn't stay, but the staff said we have to write emails. After two emails, they said no refunds. We were forced to leave due to the terrible environment and we have to pay?!

We were greeted with a tasty clam soup for free!! The hostel in nice and clean with enough bathrooms and showers. We had nice talk with the front desk guy. We were struggling with parking for the car, but this is not up to the hostel. Only one suggestion, the matresses are plastic covered!! please change this because they are really noisy and not comfortable. Highly recommended hostel. Thanks!!

The guy's who checked us in and out were really helpful and nice, others rude. The place was a dump. Literally disgusting!! We expected hostel standard , but the place was a hole. The tables were sticky the floors were dirty, the corners of the room along with the rest of the room were disgusting NEVER ever looked like they had been cleaned. Stained matresses. The bathrooms were horrific the tap handle were broken, hair in the plug holes and no HOT WATER. Nothing all hot water shut off.

• 14th Jul 2015

I waited 1.5 hrs for the reception to let me get in bed. The computer was down so I could not check in. Finally he let me go to bed as long as I promised to pay when I got up in the morning. Of course I paid, but it really was inconvenient to wait till 2am to go to bed!! You need a manual way of taking credit cards if necessary. This was unfair to me. My flight was already 3 hrs late arriving to Boston, this was a mess to start with. The dorm was full too.

The only thing that was good for me it was that it was near the TD Garden. Internet access was super difficult. I really didn't like it, stayed there for one night only.

• 8th Jul 2015

Woman traveling alone? DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE. I stayed there just this weekend (July 4th), and had the most horrible experience with an employee. He was flirty during registration, but I didn't make much of it at the moment. This guy had the nerve to come to the room (UNINVITED), and try to wake me up by grabbing my foot. When that didn't work, later, HE CAME BACK and put his face WAY too close to mine and touched my butt to wake me up because he wanted me to go with him. WTF!!!

• 4th Jul 2015
  • Mexico

Honestly, it was a good place to stay. You are in walking distance of all the best parts of Boston. I will stay here in the future, I just wished the table tops in the community area weren't so sticky. My coke can stuck to it, my magazine stuck to it, and my backpack stuck to it. That was a bit weird. After testing he other tables they also did the same..... Timers for the lights in the dorms might help conserve energy. You have them on the restrooms so it might help in the dorm rooms too

The staff was amazing. The beds left a little to be desired, but I'm not picky. I had spotty wifi service outside the common area, but that could as likely be my phone as the wifi. Easy to get to from the airport. I'll little pricey but I enjoyed my stay

Nice cozy hostel, good to stay for a couple of nights. Free breakfast in the morning! Staff is nice but the atmosphere is a bit low. Good location to explore Boston.

This hostel was very bad value for money. The beds were extremely uncomfortable and the friend I was travelling with found a lot of hairs in hers. Also, the room which we stayed in was very stuffy and hot, with no way of cooling it down - both of us woke up in a pool of sweat in the morning! We paid $45 each per night for a 6 bed mixed dorm. This is comparable to other hostels which we stayed in (including Hosteling International Boston) these however were so much better!!!

• 16th Jun 2015

My second stay wasn't as much fun as my first only because I was in a hurry and rushed in and out....

Crazly expensive for what it offers, never paid so much for a hostel in 10 bed dorms. Beds really uncomfortable and not even a towel for more than $50 x night!! Breakfast was puny,not even a fruit!!

Positives: free breakfast, location Negatives: narrow and few bathrooms, free luggage storage just until 5 pm (after that, you will be charged 10 dollars), dirty bed sheets, some rooms do not have air conditions (which can be problematic during hot Boston days), too small kitchen

Good location. Decent hostel but wifi never worked for anyone while I was there. Very frustrating when checking flights

• 9th Jun 2015

While i was out walking around the city they gave my bed to a new guest. Some of my stuff that was on the bed the staff just throwed away. That was totally stupid.

• 6th Jun 2015
  • Russia

Very nice location. The mattress is pretty thin and unconfortable. The staff is great. Overall a good experience.

Good for short term stay, conveniently located next to North Station. However some mattresses are plastic and really noisy when people roll around at night. Also, for people with heavy luggage, be prepared to climb up two flights of steep stairs!

I liked a lot this hostel, most of all the location, the staff and living room, small but everybody meet there, this is very important in a hostel. SOme people that work there is very nice. The cleaning of the rooms could be better. The computer was very old and didn't work well, it's important to have one, none all traveleres have their own laptops... Best location, very close to everything important, you don't need to take cabs ou subs to the centre, nor restaurants... Boston is very nice!!

• 22nd May 2015