Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

No hot water for showers.

• 4th Jan 2016

The staff were friendly but didnt know much about the city. The facilities are generally all right but I've had better.

I loved staying at friend street hostel..it was very well located and the atmosphere was awesome. People who work there help you whenever you need something and they are super friendly. Besides, I met a really nice group of people who were staying there and we walked around the city together. The only thing I could state as a negative thing is probably the bed. It was not super comfortable, but it was ok. I will definitely recommend my friends to stay here. Boston is a lovely city.

It's a very comfortable hostel. There is a cute grandma and friendly staff.

• 27th Dec 2015

Had a great stay there. The staffs were friendly and helpful and the location was great. The beds were rather squeaky but all else was good.

No locks available, staff seemed confused about reservations, rooms were not prepared for new guests, sheets had many stray hairs all over them, very crowded room, no staff overnight, staff does not communicate with each other, breakfast was bad, noisy outside at night. Location is very convenient, other guests were relatively friendly.

• 22nd Dec 2015

I was told upon arrival that the female-only dorm I booked was full, so I had to sleep in a different (mixed) room. The staff seemed confused about reservations and the facilities in general - there were no locks available. Sheets were not clean and had lots of hair attached to them. The location was good. Ten minutes before check-out time (11 am) staff came to my room to tell us that check-out time was near (which I found nice).

• 21st Dec 2015

The hostel is very well located. However, I would not recommend to stay there. The bed is very uncomfortable and the sheets I was given were dirty and full of hair. I am not a picky person and I adapt very easily but in such a bed I could not sleep. Plus the staff is not very welcoming and apart from checking you in and out they do not say a word. I was kind of surprised when I saw the bathrooms as they were clean and the showers big enough with hot water.

Unfriendliest staff I´ve ever seen. The room I stayed in wasn´t cleaned in at least 3 days , matresses are terribly uncomfortable and look disgusting.Management would do good in investing some money and brief their staff in how to welcome / treat guests. (Beside one guy who was really nice)The other girl I shared the room with checked into another hostel because she couldn´t stand it. Unfortunately, I had booked 2 nights already. I didn´t read the reviews. Hope you don´t make the same mistake

I was given no bed linnen, slept on an empty matress and got a comforter without sheets.There was mold everywhere. I witnessed an employee prepare a bed for the next guy; it came down to rolling of the comforter, they do not clean anything at all. The showers are even more gross, as you are greeted by the smell of mold when you step inside, you can see dark to black spots of mold from the shower tiles to the curtain. There is no central heating so prepare for ice-cold nights.

• 24th Nov 2015

After reading some of the reviews I was a little nervous about staying here, but my three night stay was great. Staff were helpful and the room did what it needed to do. Only downfall was the massive flight of stairs to get to the reception and room. Aside from that, I was easily stay here again.

• 24th Nov 2015

Hotel is good located but not clean. No locks in the bathrooms.

Possibly the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. A little investment into half decent mattresses would help but this was really bad. I wouldn't book there again given there are other affordable options available in the city. Some of the staff were really helpful others a bit surely. Great location.

Friend St Hostel is a budget option for accommodation in downtown Boston and as far as hostels go it is toward the bottom of the rankings. So don't expect too much and be prepared to look after your stuff at all times, space in the rooms is pretty limited and have strategies for dealing with well used shower/toilet facilities. The staff are cool and socially engaged which was refreshing but the facilities are basic.

• 18th Nov 2015

Very bad hostel. They make you make your own bed (rare nowadays, specially for this price) and the sheets are very doubtly clean. The rooms stink and the wifi is only good near the reception. Some staff members I met were nice, others were terrible and didn't even bother looking away from the computer to talk to me. I've been to hundrends of hostels worldwide and my advice is: stay at this hostel ONLY if you want to go to a game at TD Garden and are short on time.

• 17th Nov 2015
  • Portugal

Dirty , horrible , I could not believe I am in US

It was in expensive enough for what you got but you have to pay for anything which you may have forgotten. A girl who was staying in the same room had her laptop stollen out of her luggage so make sure you bring a lock and lock up your stuff.

• 13th Nov 2015

Wifi was not working, bathroom not very clean and very thight Q and staff not friendly.

• 31st Oct 2015

This is the worst hostel I have ever stayed at. The room was not cleaned at all while I was there, rubbish on the floor remained there for the whole 3 days. The bathroom bins overflowed all over the floor and remained like that for at least 9 hours. There was no internet as advertised, the 10 bed room I booked actually had a 12 bed crammed in it and the majority of mattresses had blood or other stains on them and most of the staff had no idea what they were doing. Avoid, even pay more elsewhere!

Wifi was down, matressess were really hard.

• 24th Oct 2015