Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

Bring an extension cord If you are in an upper bunk. Pack light, not many areas to store luggage, and they won't allow them in lockers.

• 15th Nov 2014

The hostel is fine, great location, good facilities etc, there is a coffee house downstairs, they have a kitchen, there are lockers. My issue was the communication between staff, I was rudely told by the cleaner that I was checking out, when I wasn't, and I had to pay twice for my laundry because the night guy hadn't written it down. Shame because the staff individually were fine.

I had an outstanding time at Friend Street Hostel! This was actually my first hostel experience and it totally rocked! I met some really great people and had a generally great experience. I look forward to the next time I can stay with the FSH crew!

• 9th Nov 2014

Friendly and couteous staff, helped me carry my heavy bag up flight of stairs, gave me lower bunk bed upon my request, offerred me clam chowder at night, decent modest breakfast included,, slept well, everyone in room that was filled was courteous.

Just fine. Bed was pretty comfy and bathroom looked clean enough. Connection is ok on common areas but almost no connection in the bedroom. Breakfast and internet was included but the all other facilities are for payment.

Nice hostel, friendly respectful atmosphere, though rooms a little cramped.

• 1st Nov 2014

I got shafted out of $46.10 because this hostel has a confusing cancellation policy. My confirmation email stated "You are due to arrive here at 20:00" (because this is when I told them). Then it says "Cancellations must be notified... at least 24 hours prior to arrival", and "We have a 24hr cancellation policy. Cancellations must be made by 24 hours prior to the date of cancellation." ?? So I called at 15:00 on the day before, meaning 29 hours before my booking. But NOPE, not early enough!!

• 31st Oct 2014

Great staff. Comfortable beds, clean rooms. Location easy to find but a bit out of the way (need subway to gp anywhere). Quiet not party hostel aa no alcohol permit which was ecactly what I was looking for. Basic sp not luxury so mo vomplaimts except pricy for what you get. Lots of feeebees like breakfast in morning which was excellent.

• 27th Oct 2014
  • New Zealand

This hostel is NOT for sleeping. 2/5 stars. There is a bar directly next door to this hostel, and people spilling out into the street all night long (I was present Friday and Saturday nights). Sleeping is simply not an option. There's a sign up that says: "Faq: Can you do anything about the noise? Answer: You're in downtown Boston! Go out and join them!" The matresses are newish, something plastic that crinkles whenever anyone moves. The beds are steel, creeking when anyone moves. No sleep.

• 24th Oct 2014

Good- near the subway, very helpful staff, peanut butter in the morning Bad- first room was really dirty but the helpful staff moved me to another room which was cleaner but still not properly clean(come on, some hot soapy water would work a dream!), very thin squishy mattresses, duvets need duvet covers(because they are disgusting), showers are hot and powerful but all in all could be cleaner. My stay here was fine but I wouldn't rush back. Staff however were great and very friendly.

• 22nd Oct 2014
  • Scotland

Came in the hostel at around 1 after a night out.1 of the staff looked at me as if I was breaking in .maybe coz there were no other black people there . literally 5 minutes after I got into bed the staff member was in the room pretending to do a search or something. Almost confronted him but. It was just gonna be a waste of time.its a good hostel but they should do something about the staff.like educate them black people can stay in hostels...

• 20th Oct 2014
  • Kenya

the breakfast is very good,but there is no hot water to shower,try lots of time

My only comment would be that the showers could be cleaner - mold on the wall tiles...

• 10th Oct 2014

Location is great, service sucks. Be wary of dealing with the front desk staff - make sure you check your receipts and all payments in case they've accidentally double (or triple) charged. Glazed over front desk staff reeking of pot.

• 8th Oct 2014

Very quiet. Staff were ok, they did what they asked but made no effort to go beyond what was the minimum. Didn't bother to go ahead with planned events from the noticeboard and didn't cancel in advance. Breakfasts were very inconsistent also.

This hostel urgently needs to replace its mattresses - the plastic ones currently in use are ridiculously noisy. I sleep very soundly, so was not personally disturbed, but anytime I sat on my bed or even shifted I was conscious I could be waking others up. That did not make for a comfortable three-night stay. I also thought it was cheeky to charge extra for towel rental, and the wifi was extremely weak.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

It was great place. I totally recommend it to you.

• 6th Oct 2014
  • Bulgaria

Extremely uncomfortable , squeaking beds , dirty rooms , dirty showers , overnight front desk clerk was sweating and tweaking on God knows what drug and couldn't answer simple questions or type on the keyboard

Great location and friendly staff. I will stay here again in the future.

• 18th Sep 2014

My stay at the hostel was good, considering that I was only for sleeping, showering and having breakfast. Don't expect much more. The hostel is very small and with a very small common area. the location is great, though you have to be careful at night cause is not very nice. It is probably the cheapest place to stay in Boston, but comparing to other cities is really expensive. Anyway, if you are looking for a cheap place just to spend a few nights, i would definitely recommend it.

• 16th Sep 2014