Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

This hostel was very basic! The breakfast is very simple, the 'kitchen' is just a microwave and a toaster (no stove), the 3 toilets and bathrooms need to be cleaned more regularly considering how many people are using them! I booked a 10 bed female dorm - when I checked in, there are actually 13 beds squashed into the tiny room! False advertising and way too cosy! Very expensive hostel to be sharing a room with 12 other people!! And then they charge $10 for laundry and $45 to leave luggage!

You definitely get what you pay for but I had a lovely stay nonetheless.

Maybe it's time o clean or renovate some part of the hostel. It has some dirt on the wall. It doesn't really looks good.

• 12th Sep 2015
  • Malaysia

Excellent hosts that make you feel welcome. Especially for a first time hostel traveler like me.

• 11th Sep 2015
  • Indonesia

The worst hostel experience in my trip, and one of the most expensive too (stayed at 7 hostels overall). The place is old and neglected. Mattress and linen were really old and uncomfortable. They charged extra for everything, and the charges were expensive too (around $30-40 just to store your luggage for less than 12 hours!). Would definitively not recommend the hostel to anyone.

Great, friendly staff who recommended the best pizza place ever (Regina's). Pretty basic beds and shower facilities but for the price they're more than enough! Would definitely recommend

Overpriced stay, cramped rooms, mattresses akin to an institution, air conditioning unit that vibrated all night, toilets on top floor requiring one to climb thirty plus stairs to use the bathroom in the night.

• 5th Sep 2015

First, this was the dirtiest hostel I have ever stayed in. The sheets still had pube hairs in them and there wasn't a pillow case in the set of sheets on any of the beds in the room. The floors never looked or felt like they were swept (esp under the beds). Second, OMG were these "mattresses" thin! Most importantly, the night shift guy very much tired to take advantage of me. I didn't feel safe at all. I would not recommend this place to anyone!

• 4th Sep 2015

Boston is an expensive place to stay. You get what you pay for but I would happily reccomend this place with its friendly (no pun intended) vibe. Staff were super helpful.

Wi-fi did not work at all. I had to run around the neighbourhood to end a dunkin donuts with wi-fi. As travellers, most of require this to communicate with others, it's crucial for us to have access to wi-fi. I asks d the guy at the main desk if their wi-fi worked and he said yes but to connect to it on the main floor and then go up to my room. Once in my room I had zer signal. When I went back downstairs to tell him, he wasn't surprised at all. Nor was he helpful to find wi-fi closely.

Yikes. 10 bed female dorm was actually 12 beds, with a 13th bed shoved in there on the last night I stayed there. Sticky tables in the common area and no kitchen - just a microwave and a fridge. Nice people working there and extremely close to North Station/TD Garden, but only worth a short stay and plan to be out all day. Unfortunately most hostels in Boston are significantly more expensive than the average, so this remains your best option if you're on a tight budget.

It was great for the price! I have no complains

• 30th Aug 2015
  • Dominican Republic

I think the hostel is similar to other hostel I have seen so far but why does it cost 65 Dollars a night??? I think for so much money you can expect a little bit more. The Wifi hardly works , breakfast is very poor and the mattresses aren't comfortable.

• 28th Aug 2015

Overall was good fairly helpful staff. Limited local knowledge especially about tours etc going on in the city and the best places to visit. Expensive for the service provided but in general a satisfactory stay.

• 27th Aug 2015
  • Wales

outside door wasn't locked at 11pm, since it wasn't locked at 12am when I came back. Breakfast should be available at 7am for those who want to get an earlier start on the day. WiFi wasn't working for the two nights I stayed there - disappointing to have to find some other place to buy a bus ticket online....though there was a hard wired computer there....which I didn't think to use, nor was it suggested to me.

Overall it was pretty good. The rooms were extremely hit but aside from that it was good.

• 24th Aug 2015

Located in a good area, close to city centre and the train stations. The female reception worker was very nice and helpful compared to who I think was the male manager who made us feel awkward and not very friendly.

I stayed in this hostel two days in August 2015. I saw multiple cockroaches in the common area and the staff promised to give me the change (9 dollars) on my check out, but surprisingly, they didn't.

On our 5 month RTW trip this hostel was the most expensive per person per night and with that in mind the experience was fairly average. The staff were friendly and helpful and the location good. However the building was quite old and not overly clean. The beds in our dorm were very poor and creaky. Breakfast was basic but good, a nice selection of cereal, bread and pancakes. It was adequate for our needs but did not live up to some of the cheaper hostels we have stayed in elsewhere.

The only thing that wasn't great is the ac, the room only had a fan and it was really, really hot. Other than that, great hostel, awesome location, walkable distance to downtown, great stuff, cool living room. I loved it and would go back!

• 16th Aug 2015