Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

The staff was very helpful and super friendly, at both the hostel and the cafe, very warm atmosphere! The rooms, bathrooms and showers were very clean. The location is great for getting around -- centrally located.... But it is by a stadium and a few bars, so it can be 'less quiet' at times. The only misfortune is that walls are thin between some rooms. Sleeping late may be a challenge. Other than that .. The Friend St Hostel is a nice place to stay... recommended!

• 29th Nov 2013

This is basically a very decent little hostel. The main issues were that the sheets were very thin and didn't seem that clean, there was no duvet cover provided, and I hate duvets anyway, and the room smelled pretty bad, not sure if that's the hostel's fault or that of the current inmates. The vinyl covered mattress was more like a boat seat cushion than an actual mattress. Other than that it's actually pretty nice and could be much better if they addressed those issues.

Hi, We appreciate your comments. The mattresses are an issue in which we are working to remedy and the smell may have been easily enough address if brought to our attention. We hope that this would not discourage you from staying with us again. We strive to constantly improve and provide the best experience possible to our guest. We hope to see you again soon,

The hostel is right next to TD Garden which was the big selling point for me, the staff was friendly, what I didn't like about the hostel is there are far too many rules, I'm a backpacker wanting a fun hostel however for me this hostel was boring, I didn't like the staff coming into my room at 2:30 am & 3:30 am to check up on us in the room, thanks for waking me up, I wouldn't stay at this hostel in the future, boring and too many rules

The room was bit stinky because there were many young males. Even during winter, you'd better air a room. Also, I wanted a hair drier in shower rooms.

Stay away from this place. They have only 3 bathrooms for the whole facility, only 3 tiny showers for all girls. Stuff was not helpful and accommodating at all. Their kitchenette was a joke, only 1 PC available to all guests. No private rooms. 12 people in very small rooms. Paper thin walls, so it is very noisy place - all night long. Bunk beds are uncomfortable, mattresses had sticking springs, every bed was very squeaky. Parking garage is close but very expensive.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We think you may not have given our hostel a fair chance. Our staff is highly trained & quiet frankly they are very good at what they do! There are never lines waiting to use the restrooms, our showers are standard in size, our beds are less than a year old & our mattresses do not have springs in them. I could continue but hope you see our point. You may want to consider a hotel instead of a hostel for your next stay. Good luck!

we had a great time at friends street hostel. There is free breakfast every day at the nearby cafe which is really nice. The hostel is located next to the the TD Garden - perfect to see a game! The staff is very nice and they can always get you some informations or directions about Boston. Enjoyed our stay and got to know a couple of nice people :)

Overall it's a good place. A few things you may want to know. They don't have self serve laundry and the common areas aren't available starting at noon and midnight for cleaning (I believe for 2 hours but not sure). The cafe, which is part of the hostel and is just outside is very convenient .

Nice hostel! Well situated and great staff, had a good time in here!

• 3rd Nov 2013

Thank you, we were happy to have you! We hope you'll stay with us again if you are ever back in Boston.

The location is good, and goes with a free light breakfast in the cafe downstairs, considering the price it is not bad (although the bed is not quite comfortable). And staff is very friendly.

Mattresses were super uncomfortable and therefore I slept horribly; otherwise I would have given this place a great review. Staff was great and bathrooms/showers were very clean. I enjoyed the location and felt the price was pretty fair...just please fix your beds - I'm lucky I only slept there one night

• 2nd Nov 2013

Loved the cafe on the ground floor. The mattresses were decent and the blankets were warm.

My friends and I were very pleased about the place. The hostel was extremely comfortable, you can arrive at any hour, there always be someone, and the staff is very welcoming. They have all you need ( you can borrow and buy cosmetics stuff if you forgot something ). Little plus, there is free breakfast from 8:00 AM until 10:00, something really practical when you come to visit the city. And above all, the hostel is very well located, juste few minutes from restaurants, bars and metro station.

• 29th Oct 2013

This hostel is just soso. Not excellent not bad

great location, very central. staff are nice and helpful. good list of activities through the week to create a good atmosphere. good clean dorms. only 1 thing wrong with my stay, on my first night i only had a pillow case and a sheet to cover the mattress. when i asked for a thick cover i was told there were none left!?! how do you not have enough covers for all the beds?????? i eventually got a couple of sheets, but was quite cold. apart from this (one off, i hope) it was a good stay.

Thank you for your review, we were happy to have you. During your stay we were in the process of replacing our light summer blankets with new, heavier winter blankets, and we're sorry that the transition negatively effected your stay. However we now have all of our blankets replaced with warm comforters for the winter season. We hope to see you again if you are ever back in Boston!

They say that staying in Boston is really expensive and this is the cheapest hostel I could find. In other places you can do better for that price but I guess for Boston standards this was really good!! Staff were mostly friendly and cool, rooms clean and simple, same goes for the facilities. The common room is very nice, it's easy to meet people there. I didn't use the kitchen but it seemed clean and good. It's very calm, easy to sleep, no noise, everything cool.

• 21st Oct 2013