Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

I cancelled one of my reservations but the staff did not take it out and so I got charged for it and had to ask for a refund. The mattress are terrible. They definitly need new ones.

I didn't like that we had to share restroom with men. They have just three restroom which I think is not enough for every guests.

Along with two friends, I stayed two nights. This hostel is the worst establishment I have ever stayed in. Quiet times were not observed whatsoever. Walls and floors are thin, and staff did little to enforce the noise level. Showers are moldy, the floor is very dusty, and beds squeak loudly whenever one moves, waking up the entire dorm. I was also charged twice after paying in cash, and the hostel has been unresponsive in refunding my credit card. STAY AWAY and spend a few bucks more.

The staff are very friendly, and the beds, facilities and location are good. The only letdown was that it was surprisingly quiet - it really didn't feel like a backpacker hostel. There's a ban on alcohol which doesn't help, but generally they weren't really pushing any social stuff. Maybe they're not going for that atmosphere, but if they are, I'd suggest maybe leading a few nights out in the local bars, as hostels often do, just to get people mixing!

I had a great and healthy time and will definitely Cole back. Atmosphere is great and the staff very nice. The only problem is the booking system: sometimes you will not get your exact booked bed because it is booked doubled but yout will get a bed because the staff really wants to make you a good stay. Like a big family: a bit chaotic but good for all. Just don't expect a hotel!

• 1st Mar 2015