Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

Friendly, helpful, caring staff! They made our stay quite worthwhile. Free breakfast was excellent, the room clean and orderly. Beds were a bit uncomfortable and creaky when shifting, but it's a hostel so I can't complain. Overall, a great place.

• 10th Apr 2014

Location of this hostel is very good but the rest is just bad. So expensive for what you get... the rooms smell so bad, as do the beds. They are so disgusting and I guess full of bacteries and viruses. The staff is not warm, they do not smile...they seem so borred. And then, you got a breakfast...but I ould not call that a breakfast. Orange juice is water, bread is not fresh, and so on.

I was overcharged. I arrived to check in and was taken to 3 different rooms where there was supposed to be a bed, but there wasn't. I was almost put on a cot with no locker before they decided to put me in the spare bed in the staff room. A man was showing me around and walked into a female only dorm without knocking or anything and surprised a woman who was in the midst of changing. One poor fellow traveler's "bedroom" was literally a closet. The "mattresses" were deflated air mattresses.

• 4th Apr 2014

The best part of this hostel is the cafe downstairs.

• 30th Mar 2014
  • Couple, 41+

I slept in the dorm. The bed was not comfortable and it was noisy all night long from in and outside the room. I was misinformed about the locks by the staff. When I decided to move out 2 night before what I had booked, they didn't refund a penny. The staff was not helpful at all. The breakfast was good though.

Warm, comfortable and clean. Very well located, Boston is an easy city to walk about. Staff were friendly. Next to TD Garden, the basketball and Ice hockey stadium, brilliant atmosphere. A heads up, no stove, only a microwave and rice cooker. Breakfast is light but good. Genius idea of no keys for the doors, just codes; makes life very simple. Thanks for an excellent stay in Boston guys!

you guys need to set up a better wifi system. internet speed is slow but that may be because of a lot of interference at the standard 2.4 GHz wifi frequency. wireless G and N are both set up to have ideally only 3 simultaneous users at this frequency! there are a few ways to get around this limit: 1) a couple wifi access points that use directional antennas to, 2) using 5 GHz dual band wifi (not all devices support), 3) upgrade to wireless AC (it has beamforming to help older G and N users)

• 25th Mar 2014

When I got into the 10bed room late night, the room was full and a terrible snoring from a single guest look to me unbelievable that the rest 8 guest can be able to sleep, I leave the room for one hour and when I return the snoring continue as loud as at the begining so I put me an ear protection for noise reduction so I will strongly suggest to put in place a guest notification when this disturb behaviour are on progress, forcing to use some medical solution avaible in the market.

• 18th Mar 2014
  • Mexico

Only stayed one night while 40Berkeley was full. + The staff was very friendly. + The wifi worked reliably, this is a big plus for me. Seems rare for hostels. + The common area was nice and comfy. - The security wasn't great; each room was locked with a guessable, shared code (i.e. if you knew one, you could figure out all of them). I'm assuming they've never been changed. - Very limited space. Lockers were included, but any floor space was mostly consumed by beds.

The location is a little loud with a new bar next door. Take ear plugs!

• 14th Mar 2014

There could be some brushes in the restroooms so we could leave the place cleaner

• 5th Mar 2014