Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

A nice, friendly enough hostel. The good sides are it's close to the station, a bunch of bars that serve good beer, and I suppose it's close to some touristy stuff too. The downsides were pretty shoddy security (anyone can walk in off the street and up to the rooms, which are accessed using a code that would be very easy to guess), not particularly clean rooms (the floors were kind of gross, and I'm not even that picky) and beds covered in plastic.

they should clean rooms a litle bit more!

• 24th Apr 2014
  • Spain

Quite okay place to stay. Unfortunately internet didnt work few times at all. Kitchen isnt very well equipped. I know that all hostels in Boston are expensive, but in my opinion, compare to hostels all around North America its way too much for what you get.

As a runner, I stayed there during the Boston Marathon. Conveniently located by train transportation or to attend a professional hockey or basketball game. I look forward to visiting there again next Boston Marathon

Terrible Hostel. unkind staff. noisy. bad smell. etc

The male staff helped a lot. however the wifi does not work well upstairs. moreover, common room closed in the morning and late into night.

• 17th Apr 2014
  • China

The staff is so friendly. The atmosphere at the cafe downstairs is so nice. The breakfast is good and it's very close to the subway. They can do better about their mattress.

Everything was great the only thing would be that they could perhaps find another option for mattress protectors on the beds. The plastic ones they had were a little noisy and uncomfortable.

• 17th Apr 2014

This hostel was really convenient to get to via public transit from Logan. I was only there for one night. It was clean and nice. My only complaint is that both the neighborhood and the hostel itself were a bit loud, but that's to be expected in a hostel. Breakfast was good!

So I booked a bed on a 8-mixed dorm for one night at Friends Hostel. What they gave me? A bed on a SEVENTEEN-FEMALE dormitory! For the same price! They should at least give me back the money difference. But the staff told me that I had payed a long time ago (2 months, actually) and the price has increased since then, so, after all, I was actually getting exactly what I had payed for. I didn't make a case, because it was just a night. But I'm really angry.

I've been in almost 20 hostels in the last 2 years and this is the worst hostel with the worst manager. When we arrived we'd ours beds ($47 each) which we'd reserved five months before, but when be returned to the hostel, they told us that because overbooking they changed our room and now i have no bed any more minewhile other people were checking in. The maneger offered me a discount of $10 and a dog's bed or we had to leave in the middle of the nigth even with a reservation five months earlier

The staff, other guests and facilities were excellent. I would recommend to upgrade the computer systems, website, and point of sales. The technology at the hostel is outdated and slow, it made booking and checking in cumbersome. Speeding up the speed of service delivery would increase customer satisfaction. It would also improve competition against nearby hostels, which specifically advertise their "modernness". I noticed Friend Street Hostel was the last to be fully booked on that weekend.

• 11th Apr 2014

Not amazing... but the cheapest hostel I found near the center.

Good location, easy to walk to the centre

Friendly, helpful, caring staff! They made our stay quite worthwhile. Free breakfast was excellent, the room clean and orderly. Beds were a bit uncomfortable and creaky when shifting, but it's a hostel so I can't complain. Overall, a great place.

• 10th Apr 2014

Location of this hostel is very good but the rest is just bad. So expensive for what you get... the rooms smell so bad, as do the beds. They are so disgusting and I guess full of bacteries and viruses. The staff is not warm, they do not smile...they seem so borred. And then, you got a breakfast...but I ould not call that a breakfast. Orange juice is water, bread is not fresh, and so on.

I was overcharged. I arrived to check in and was taken to 3 different rooms where there was supposed to be a bed, but there wasn't. I was almost put on a cot with no locker before they decided to put me in the spare bed in the staff room. A man was showing me around and walked into a female only dorm without knocking or anything and surprised a woman who was in the midst of changing. One poor fellow traveler's "bedroom" was literally a closet. The "mattresses" were deflated air mattresses.

• 4th Apr 2014

The best part of this hostel is the cafe downstairs.

• 30th Mar 2014
  • Couple, 41+

I slept in the dorm. The bed was not comfortable and it was noisy all night long from in and outside the room. I was misinformed about the locks by the staff. When I decided to move out 2 night before what I had booked, they didn't refund a penny. The staff was not helpful at all. The breakfast was good though.

Warm, comfortable and clean. Very well located, Boston is an easy city to walk about. Staff were friendly. Next to TD Garden, the basketball and Ice hockey stadium, brilliant atmosphere. A heads up, no stove, only a microwave and rice cooker. Breakfast is light but good. Genius idea of no keys for the doors, just codes; makes life very simple. Thanks for an excellent stay in Boston guys!