Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Hatefu air mattress!!!

Loved it! Very nice place, very well located. Amazing event board, with free activities to do everyday and a lot of different things. The only thing is that the beds are very noisy, but everything was great.

• 22nd Aug 2013
  • Argentina

Hi Martin, Thanks for the great recommendation! Happy to here you had a good time and just wanted to let you know that we are working on improving the beds! Thanks, Friend Street Team

The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The girl who welcomed me was fantastic, especially with local suggestions. The cafe below the hostel was also really nice - however, a bar is always helpful in meeting friends while travelling. One complaint: too much energy was being wasted to over-air-condition the rooms. However, the biggest problem was cost. Although it was about the city average in price, it was farrrrr too expensive and that's a shame.

Hi Stephen, Thanks so much for taking the time to write a comment! We pride ourselves on our friendly and helpful staff. Although Boston is an expensive city, we are one of the most affordably priced hostels in the area. Our great location often makes up for the cost after just one ride in a Boston cab =) We hope you'll come back for another stay!

The hostel is alright, the beds are very thin and squeaky. Also, there wasn't any free breakfast when I was there...

The staffs are all very nice, helpful and kind. We have free breakfast every morning from 8 to 10. And the hotel is very close to downtown. The security is very good. You need password to open the door of the main entrance and your room.

• 19th Aug 2013
  • China

Really great stay but the price was too expensive for this kind of hostel!

• 18th Aug 2013

I don't like the location....there were lots of bars near the hostel. Some weird guys went around the hostel so I was scary...

great place to stay, very friendly

• 16th Aug 2013

about the kitchen: almost no working space and no stove or oven... and about the food: all you get is cherios, cornflakes and toast with the cheapes jam, as for the orange juice it tasted like sunnydeilight mixed with water, no fruit even though haymarket is 5min walk from there

The main thing you want in a hostel is a good nights sleep, NOT A CHANCE! The beds are not comfy and squeak very loudly when you turn in bed, so much so you wake up! The main problem I had was that everything thing was extra. I haven't stayed anywhere where towels weren't provided and it was $3 to rent one or $5 to buy a used one, to print 1 sheet was $1 told this after they offered to print 8 sheets for me, The lockers in the room were broken and bent. It wasn't very clean either. OVER PRICED!!

From the moment I stepped through the door the staff were friendly and warm. The atmosphere was cool. And I can't wait to go back. And the location was perfect.

• 10th Aug 2013

Thanks, Harry! We can't wait to have you back!

Near TD Garden, great Location

• 9th Aug 2013
  • China

The staff at Friend Street Hostel were very helpful and approachable, and also friendly. The affiliated cafe on the ground floor of the building is nice, and has great baked goods for low prices. Friend Street has a great location for visiting Boston. The hostel is very close to T and commuter rail/Amtrak stations, the Haymarket farmer's market, and many historic sites. Friend Street also seems to be the most affordable hostel in Boston.

• 9th Aug 2013

Hi Dan, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I hope you'll be able to visit again in the future!

Nice hostel

center position and you can walk to most of the sight-seeings.

Although I do understand they need to make money I thought I was absurd that they charged for a shower towel. I didn't shower because i wasn't going to pay for a towel. It's crazy.

• 4th Aug 2013

Hi Coby, Thank you for taking the time to comment. We provide certain amenities for guests but have to charge for some items to cover the cost of labor associated with laundry and cleaning. I hope you enjoyed your stay otherwise!

Awesome location. Nice staff. Nice hostel.

• 3rd Aug 2013

There needs to be more updates to the hostel. A littlle revitalization and upgrades to the mattresses is sorely needed. My mattress felt like I was sleeping on the ground. There was only 1 extension cord to recharge everyone's electronic devices. Some more attention to detail would be appreciated.

Hi Brian, Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are in the process of updating all of our mattresses. I hope you enjoyed your stay otherwise!

Great location very clean wonderful staff

• 29th Jul 2013

Ended up staying on and off for around 4 days. Great location since Boston is a walkable city. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Very clean. Free brekkie in the downstairs cafe was a bonus.

Thanks Eric, happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Safe travels!