Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Is a good Hostel but is expensive for what it offers, other hostels in Boston for the same price and same good location offer, free bath towels, bigger and better common areas and Facilities,

Thanks for your comments. I'm sorry you felt our prices were not fair, however we consistently compare our rates to hostels in other parts of the city (we are the only one in North Boston) to ensure that we are priced fairly. If there's anything I can do to further assist you, please let me know. I hope you are willing to give us a second chance on your next visit!

The night staff and day staff seem to not have a lot of communication - we came in late in the evening to find a very disorganised night staff member struggling to keep up with the arrivals. Also feels like a pretty seedy area at night.

Thanks for your feedback. We have policies in place to ensure thorough communication between shifts, but I have made sure to reiterate these policies to our staff thanks to your feedback. Due to summer schedules, we've hired and trained some new people. It's likely that the evening staff you met was still learning the ropes around here, and I'm sorry if you felt inconvenienced by this. Please contact us directly if there's anything else we can do to help rectify your issue.

Nice people. Clean. Great location. Good price.

• 12th Jun 2013

Thanks for your comments! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you again soon!

Great hostel for a great price. Staff is very friendly. Will definitely be back when I come to Boston again.

• 11th Jun 2013

Only stayed for one night, but the two staff members I met were really friendly and did more than they needed to do. The bunk rooms are reasonably basic, but clean, safe and quiet. Would definitely recommend!

Thanks for your feedback. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, and really appreciate the recommendation. I hope to see you again soon!

Friendly staff and courteous - nice location and pleasant fellow travelers. Additional towel fee $3 is a bit jarring considering the cost.

Thanks for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here. As with many hostels, we offer towel rentals to undercut our operating costs. This helps us keep prices low for you, as well as avoid costly replacements due to theft. I hope you can understand, and are willing to visit us again in the future!

The hostel is older, but always clean, and in a great area. I never felt unsafe. right by Barts and restaurants. room could be a little loud but I was always to tired to care. Staff was AWESOME. They really know the area and had things to do.

• 6th Jun 2013

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. For future reference, we do offer ear plugs if your neighbors are a bit too noisy. We hope to see you again soon!

One of the most hostel i have been, dirty, smel bad, and all what they ofer have something hide it....is never clear, and the price is not clear, when u arrive they charge u "tax"....really disgusting for quality price!!!!

• 6th Jun 2013
  • Spain

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry your stay did not meet your expectations, and hope you are willing to give us a second chance to make it up to you. With regard to tax rates they are clearly stated on our website as well as all our booking engines. Additionally, we send a confirmation email to every guest with the updated tax-included totals. If there's anything further I can do to help reconcile your concerns, please contact us directly.

Incredibly friendly staff, clean, cute even

Thanks for your review! We love hearing from guests that enjoy their stay, and hope to see you again soon!

Very clean. Helpful/friendly staff. Quiet sleeping area. I could get anywhere because of the location. presently surprised.

• 3rd Jun 2013

Thanks for your comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to see you again very soon!

A really enjoyable place to stay.

• 31st May 2013

Friendly staff, air con in rooms (big plus)! Nice big lockers and everything you need in town is walking distance

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad our amenities made your stay more comfortable, and hope you are able to come back and visit soon!

They have two different check-in hours: one downstairs and another upstairs.

Hello, Our check-in time is at 3:00 and we include this in the confirmation email we send to guests so that they know that information before arriving. The sign on our front door is outdated and we have not changed it yet. I don't believe an old sign would justify the poor rating you gave us and we would love to improve, so please send us an email telling us why you did not enjoy your stay. Thanks, -Friend Street Hostel

This hostel was great! A short walk to the T and Little Italy, and the staff were very helpful. The downstairs cafe is great and cheap as well.

• 26th May 2013

Thanks for leaving your feedback for us! We're so glad you enjoyed your time here, and can't wait to have you back soon!

The building is really old, the room was tight and cold. The bathrooms and showers were dirty. You can't drink alcohol at the hostel but there were people drinking at the room. You can't also smoke but people were smoking in the restrooms. The light suppose to turn of at 11 pm at the rooms, but it just happen at 1 am. Also at the middle of the night one person from staff was at the room hitting at the beds and changing the mattresses. Definitely the worse hostel that I ever stay!

Thanks for your comments. I'm sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. We take feedback such as yours very seriously, and I can assure you that all of the issues you brought up are currently being addressed. If there's anything else I can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us directly. Thank you again for bringing these serious issues to our attention.

First time staying in a hostel.. Didn't know what to expect and it was definitely an experience. Staff was super friendly and awesome, the place was surprisingly clean, and the location is superb. It definitely fit our needs for the weekend, and it was fun meeting new people. I still prefer a hotel for the more comfortable beds and privacy.. but this was definitely a fun thing to try out. And I'm glad that we had such a good experience at Friend Street Hostel.

• 25th May 2013

Thanks for the great review! I'm so glad we could make your first hostel experience a positive one! I hope to see you again soon.

I will not go there even if it is situated in the safe north side of Boston. Old facilities. Small space in the commons, washroom, lavatory, bad room, etc. for my first few days there was no air conditioning, so the room feels like stuffy with ten beds. After that the owner install airconditioning, by install I mean not the build in airconditioning but the type of air conditioner unit you install at the windows. Since the hostel is small you will not be able to meet many people.

• 24th May 2013

Thanks for your comments. I'm sorry if your stay was anything less than enjoyable. We take the satisfaction of our guests very seriously, and always aim to set realistic expectations of our space through pictures online. While we love being in a historic city and building, there are definitely things that take some getting used to with the building's age. We're in the process of making some great improvements, so hopefully you'll give us a second chance on your next visit!

Very friendly staff, close proximity to Green and Orange lines to get you anywhere in the city/surrounding areas! Could use a deep clean - and there are no sinks in the toilet rooms?

• 23rd May 2013

Thanks for leaving your comments for us. We do have several sinks across the hall from our toilets in order to minimize the time that each toilet is occupied in the morning (no one likes to wait for the bathroom when they wake up). I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our location though, and hope to see you again soon!

The mattress needs work and it is better to get a 4 bed room the location is excellent is in the middle of everything and you can get the T to anywhere and it's easy to get to from both airport and the bus this was my first hostel and I was apprehensive but it was nice and I felt safe!

• 23rd May 2013

Thanks for your comments. I'm so glad we were able to make your first hostel experience a positive one! I hope you have the opportunity to come visit us again on your next trip to Boston. Safe travels!

A decent if unremarkable place to stay, but the facilities are not worth the money spent on your room. The 'kitchen' only has a microwave and a rice cooker, no stove; if you want to cook anything other than rice or pot noodles, you'll have to ask if you can use the appliances in the restaurant downstairs. However, said restaurant makes nice meals, and the location of the hostel is pretty good.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your comments. Due to strict Boston regulations, we are not able to have a stove or oven in our kitchen, but as you mentioned we are happy to help you prepare any special meals in our cafe! If there's anything else we can do to further assist you, please let us know!