Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

The room was bit stinky because there were many young males. Even during winter, you'd better air a room. Also, I wanted a hair drier in shower rooms.

Stay away from this place. They have only 3 bathrooms for the whole facility, only 3 tiny showers for all girls. Stuff was not helpful and accommodating at all. Their kitchenette was a joke, only 1 PC available to all guests. No private rooms. 12 people in very small rooms. Paper thin walls, so it is very noisy place - all night long. Bunk beds are uncomfortable, mattresses had sticking springs, every bed was very squeaky. Parking garage is close but very expensive.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We think you may not have given our hostel a fair chance. Our staff is highly trained & quiet frankly they are very good at what they do! There are never lines waiting to use the restrooms, our showers are standard in size, our beds are less than a year old & our mattresses do not have springs in them. I could continue but hope you see our point. You may want to consider a hotel instead of a hostel for your next stay. Good luck!

we had a great time at friends street hostel. There is free breakfast every day at the nearby cafe which is really nice. The hostel is located next to the the TD Garden - perfect to see a game! The staff is very nice and they can always get you some informations or directions about Boston. Enjoyed our stay and got to know a couple of nice people :)

Overall it's a good place. A few things you may want to know. They don't have self serve laundry and the common areas aren't available starting at noon and midnight for cleaning (I believe for 2 hours but not sure). The cafe, which is part of the hostel and is just outside is very convenient .

I've stayed 4 nights. Good location, walking distance to the center of the city and close to metro station. One day the hostel offered us free meal -- spaghetti (which was great in november, very cold to go outside). You'll have free breakfast @ a cafe downstairs: go there early to have the best. The common area is small and people there didn't interact much (only with their laptops) but staff was helpfull. My only "complain" is regarding the 10 Bed Female Dorm: wasn't very well ventilated...

Nice hostel! Well situated and great staff, had a good time in here!

Thank you, we were happy to have you! We hope you'll stay with us again if you are ever back in Boston.

The location is good, and goes with a free light breakfast in the cafe downstairs, considering the price it is not bad (although the bed is not quite comfortable). And staff is very friendly.

Mattresses were super uncomfortable and therefore I slept horribly; otherwise I would have given this place a great review. Staff was great and bathrooms/showers were very clean. I enjoyed the location and felt the price was pretty fair...just please fix your beds - I'm lucky I only slept there one night

• 2nd Nov 2013

Loved the cafe on the ground floor. The mattresses were decent and the blankets were warm.

My friends and I were very pleased about the place. The hostel was extremely comfortable, you can arrive at any hour, there always be someone, and the staff is very welcoming. They have all you need ( you can borrow and buy cosmetics stuff if you forgot something ). Little plus, there is free breakfast from 8:00 AM until 10:00, something really practical when you come to visit the city. And above all, the hostel is very well located, juste few minutes from restaurants, bars and metro station.

• 29th Oct 2013

This hostel is just soso. Not excellent not bad

great location, very central. staff are nice and helpful. good list of activities through the week to create a good atmosphere. good clean dorms. only 1 thing wrong with my stay, on my first night i only had a pillow case and a sheet to cover the mattress. when i asked for a thick cover i was told there were none left!?! how do you not have enough covers for all the beds?????? i eventually got a couple of sheets, but was quite cold. apart from this (one off, i hope) it was a good stay.

Thank you for your review, we were happy to have you. During your stay we were in the process of replacing our light summer blankets with new, heavier winter blankets, and we're sorry that the transition negatively effected your stay. However we now have all of our blankets replaced with warm comforters for the winter season. We hope to see you again if you are ever back in Boston!

They say that staying in Boston is really expensive and this is the cheapest hostel I could find. In other places you can do better for that price but I guess for Boston standards this was really good!! Staff were mostly friendly and cool, rooms clean and simple, same goes for the facilities. The common room is very nice, it's easy to meet people there. I didn't use the kitchen but it seemed clean and good. It's very calm, easy to sleep, no noise, everything cool.

• 21st Oct 2013

Stayed for two nights over the weekend - Very friendly service and nice beds. A bit noisy if you need silence to sleep, but otherwise I had no complaints. Clean showers and toilets (possibly too few toilets, but never had an issue). Kitchen with microwave and sink if needed, good common area and HDTV. Will definitely be staying here again.

• 18th Oct 2013

Thank you for letting to stay me.

• 14th Oct 2013
  • South Korea

After traveling through Europe for two weeks we ended our travels at your hostel. Your hostel lacked comfortable mattresses. Everything else was great, but after traveling through the city all day is nice to lay down on a firm, supporting mattress.

• 12th Oct 2013

Thank you, we were happy to have you! We are in the process of replacing our mattresses and we will have all of the beds in the hostel upgraded in the near future. We hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you visit Boston.

The hostel staff could have done a better job suggesting parking options for guests who needed to park for a few days. In our case, they suggested parking long term down the street at a garage that charged $25/day. Upon leaving, we saw signs at the entrance of the garage that you can reserve parking online for as low as $15/day. Not being allowed to use the common room after a certain hour was a bummer. Annoying that they come in and shine flashlights in the middle of the night. Overbookings!

The only good thing is the location..

Loved the staff - so helpful and kind. Noisy at night but want do you expect? - you are right in downtown boston! which is fab. Might want to fix the sad heating panels in room 5, but it's not a big deal. Loved the fun notes on toilet doors and in the room.

• 9th Oct 2013
  • Couple, 41+

Friend Street Hostel used to be great. Now to say that it is good would be stretching it. It used to be run by people with a passion for travel who really cared about making even staying in a hostel a fun experience. Now that the original owners have left, it seems that it's run by people who want to nickel-and-dime every traveler they can. They've turned what was once a human hostel into an efficiency machine meant to churn humans in and out as fast as possible.