Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

Hostel is pretty clean and well situate but the rest sucks! The people that work there are very slow (20 minutes for the check in) and the atmosphere sucks for party!

I'm sorry you felt our employees were slow, we do our best to make sure each guest knows all the hostel policies and is comfortable in their rooms. The hostel does get busy during check-in time but we still strive to give each guest the one-on-one attention they deserve. Although we can't allow alcohol in the hostel we are right downtown with 10 bars within a square block radius, with plenty of other guests willing to adventure out with you! We hope you'll give us another chance!

Noisy mattrasses, if you want to move you can wake up everybody in the room.

It is a nice and save place to stay, unfortunately the wifi did not make it up to the rooms, but it was good in the 'living room'. During our stay the matresses could use some replacement, but overall it was good (at least everything was clean)

• 17th Sep 2013

Hostel is surrounded by pubs and close to the center. Great for a night out. Beds are quite noisy.

Great facilities and great location. Thanks Guys!

• 13th Sep 2013

My experience at the hostel was not as bad as I expected. I liked it overall. The good? Location and affordability. Security was good. I felt my important possessions were safe and the location felt safe. People were friendly enough. The staff were nice enough to me and informative and helpful. The bad? I felt it could have been cleaner. The toilets and showers were fine and as expected. I felt the whole place other than that could have used a good dusting and vacuuming. The beds weren't comfy.

• 12th Sep 2013

It's a great hostel. Good location too. Free breakfast and friendly staff. I'd stay here again.

There is a good 24 hour reception and you can always find a staff member. The common area closes during the day and at 1am when it should really be 24hours as there is no outside space to socialise. The kitchen needs a hob to help travellers save money and at least make there own breakfast. There should also be more choice at the Cafe free breakfast like healthier options such as fruit and natural yoghurt etc. If you are staying more than a week they should change your sheets. An ok stay.

• 6th Sep 2013

All of the staff members I interacted with were friendly and helpful. Friend Street Hostel prioritizes safety, which I appreciated a lot. The dorm beds were not super comfortable, but they were quiet. I had everything I needed otherwise, although I did have to provide my own towel and lock. $50 a night seems a little steep to me for what Friend Street hostel offers.

• 6th Sep 2013

The Hostel is quite alright: you got bed to sleep and shower for showering (what expecting more from an hostel). However when the price for two is nearly the price of a real hotel: which means two times more than a normal hostel , I have to say I expect smething a bit better than just noisy beds and nice staff! For example cleaning the room could be part of it (at least once in a week...). And sleeping with 12 people is already a bit hard, but when you have mattress making noise at every move..

• 5th Sep 2013

Friend Street Hostel is a simple but very cute hostel.I felt very welcome.

Clean hostel, good location and very nice staff; but too many people in one dorm, rooms feel cramped and the air condition is very loud, I spent two stressful nights there.

I think that a common room have to stay open all night (the café or the tv-room)!

• 28th Aug 2013
  • Belgium

Thanks for the feedback, Maxime, we will discuss hours for the common areas at the next staff meeting. I hope you'll stay with us again the next time you're in Boston!

All the staff here are very friendly- and willing to help. Its in a ok area considering its just near North Station. Lovely free brekkie in the cafe next door. Tiny kitchen with no stove- but there are a few bars where you can eat in the area. Free computer with internet which was great for us- as we have no device to use. Made some good friends here. Only thing that was really annoying was the matresses- which were covered with a plastic film which made it feel like you were sleeping on a nappy

Hatefu air mattress!!!

Loved it! Very nice place, very well located. Amazing event board, with free activities to do everyday and a lot of different things. The only thing is that the beds are very noisy, but everything was great.

• 22nd Aug 2013
  • Argentina

Hi Martin, Thanks for the great recommendation! Happy to here you had a good time and just wanted to let you know that we are working on improving the beds! Thanks, Friend Street Team

The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The girl who welcomed me was fantastic, especially with local suggestions. The cafe below the hostel was also really nice - however, a bar is always helpful in meeting friends while travelling. One complaint: too much energy was being wasted to over-air-condition the rooms. However, the biggest problem was cost. Although it was about the city average in price, it was farrrrr too expensive and that's a shame.

Hi Stephen, Thanks so much for taking the time to write a comment! We pride ourselves on our friendly and helpful staff. Although Boston is an expensive city, we are one of the most affordably priced hostels in the area. Our great location often makes up for the cost after just one ride in a Boston cab =) We hope you'll come back for another stay!

The hostel is alright, the beds are very thin and squeaky. Also, there wasn't any free breakfast when I was there...

The staffs are all very nice, helpful and kind. We have free breakfast every morning from 8 to 10. And the hotel is very close to downtown. The security is very good. You need password to open the door of the main entrance and your room.

• 19th Aug 2013
  • China

Really great stay but the price was too expensive for this kind of hostel!

• 18th Aug 2013