Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

Thank you for letting to stay me.

• 14th Oct 2013
  • South Korea

After traveling through Europe for two weeks we ended our travels at your hostel. Your hostel lacked comfortable mattresses. Everything else was great, but after traveling through the city all day is nice to lay down on a firm, supporting mattress.

• 12th Oct 2013

Thank you, we were happy to have you! We are in the process of replacing our mattresses and we will have all of the beds in the hostel upgraded in the near future. We hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you visit Boston.

The hostel staff could have done a better job suggesting parking options for guests who needed to park for a few days. In our case, they suggested parking long term down the street at a garage that charged $25/day. Upon leaving, we saw signs at the entrance of the garage that you can reserve parking online for as low as $15/day. Not being allowed to use the common room after a certain hour was a bummer. Annoying that they come in and shine flashlights in the middle of the night. Overbookings!

The only good thing is the location..

Loved the staff - so helpful and kind. Noisy at night but want do you expect? - you are right in downtown boston! which is fab. Might want to fix the sad heating panels in room 5, but it's not a big deal. Loved the fun notes on toilet doors and in the room.

• 9th Oct 2013
  • Couple, 41+

Friend Street Hostel used to be great. Now to say that it is good would be stretching it. It used to be run by people with a passion for travel who really cared about making even staying in a hostel a fun experience. Now that the original owners have left, it seems that it's run by people who want to nickel-and-dime every traveler they can. They've turned what was once a human hostel into an efficiency machine meant to churn humans in and out as fast as possible.

I had a reservation two weeks prior to arrival, once i had arrived they said they overbooked the rooms and that they had to put me in a cafe downstairs with bunch of bunk beds (they do this EVERY NIGHT) also me and my friend wanted to plan for the trip next day so we headed upstairs at 11:30 and the staff said lounge was closed and kitchen was only open for eating what does that mean, i just wanted to talk to my friend for 10mins with lights, lastly they charged me full 55 dollars,

• 27th Sep 2013
  • South Korea

I liked the hostel. It was clean and the atmosphere was very good

• 24th Sep 2013

It was a god period when I stayed at this hostel.It is very convenient to be very close to subway from where you can go to Boston Logan Airport, cambridge and so on.It has a good atmosphere that you can watch tv with some hostellers,you can cook something but cant use the fire cos of security.I advise you to stay here safely, enjoy there.But dont forget to bring some food because the outside shops are a bit far from the hostel and a bit expensive.Enjoy !

• 23rd Sep 2013
  • Turkey

staff were friendly and helpful, the beds were not comfy didn't get much sleep, wifi had very poor reception in the room couldn't use it but worked fine in the common room I have marked down on cleanliness due to the dust and hair underneath the bed overall stay ok

• 21st Sep 2013

Hostel is pretty clean and well situate but the rest sucks! The people that work there are very slow (20 minutes for the check in) and the atmosphere sucks for party!

I'm sorry you felt our employees were slow, we do our best to make sure each guest knows all the hostel policies and is comfortable in their rooms. The hostel does get busy during check-in time but we still strive to give each guest the one-on-one attention they deserve. Although we can't allow alcohol in the hostel we are right downtown with 10 bars within a square block radius, with plenty of other guests willing to adventure out with you! We hope you'll give us another chance!

Noisy mattrasses, if you want to move you can wake up everybody in the room.

It is a nice and save place to stay, unfortunately the wifi did not make it up to the rooms, but it was good in the 'living room'. During our stay the matresses could use some replacement, but overall it was good (at least everything was clean)

• 17th Sep 2013

Hostel is surrounded by pubs and close to the center. Great for a night out. Beds are quite noisy.

Great facilities and great location. Thanks Guys!

• 13th Sep 2013

My experience at the hostel was not as bad as I expected. I liked it overall. The good? Location and affordability. Security was good. I felt my important possessions were safe and the location felt safe. People were friendly enough. The staff were nice enough to me and informative and helpful. The bad? I felt it could have been cleaner. The toilets and showers were fine and as expected. I felt the whole place other than that could have used a good dusting and vacuuming. The beds weren't comfy.

• 12th Sep 2013

It's a great hostel. Good location too. Free breakfast and friendly staff. I'd stay here again.

There is a good 24 hour reception and you can always find a staff member. The common area closes during the day and at 1am when it should really be 24hours as there is no outside space to socialise. The kitchen needs a hob to help travellers save money and at least make there own breakfast. There should also be more choice at the Cafe free breakfast like healthier options such as fruit and natural yoghurt etc. If you are staying more than a week they should change your sheets. An ok stay.

All of the staff members I interacted with were friendly and helpful. Friend Street Hostel prioritizes safety, which I appreciated a lot. The dorm beds were not super comfortable, but they were quiet. I had everything I needed otherwise, although I did have to provide my own towel and lock. $50 a night seems a little steep to me for what Friend Street hostel offers.

• 6th Sep 2013

The Hostel is quite alright: you got bed to sleep and shower for showering (what expecting more from an hostel). However when the price for two is nearly the price of a real hotel: which means two times more than a normal hostel , I have to say I expect smething a bit better than just noisy beds and nice staff! For example cleaning the room could be part of it (at least once in a week...). And sleeping with 12 people is already a bit hard, but when you have mattress making noise at every move..

• 5th Sep 2013