Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

Location is really nice, 10 min by walk to downtown. But it's really cold in the room, I was freezing. It was a big problem for me.

Location was good. Staffa were friendly. But there was no hot water!!!!

For $45 total, I don't think this hostel was really worth the money. There was a LOT of open space in other rooms, but they put everone into rooms. It would have been a lot better if folks could have spread out more and have more space. The beds were VERY uncomfortable and VERY noisy. I don't think anyone slept. If you moved, the mattress and the springs under the matteress squeaked so loud. Breakfast did not include any fruit or vegetable! It was all starch and sugar.

• 10th Jan 2014

STAFF IS RUDE TO EACH OTHER, IN FRONT OF GUESTS. IT CAN DEAL WITH OTHERS IN THE SAME ROOM, BUT WHEN EVERY 30 MINUTES A STAFF MEMBER BARGES IN FOR "OVERNIGHT INSPECTION", IT'S HARD TO GET A GOOD REST. THE "ITALIAN & CHOWDER" NIGHTS ARE MORE FOR THE STAFF THAN THE GUESTS SO WHY USE THAT AS A SELLING POINT. THE RATES ON WEBSITE ARE DIFFERENT FROM WHAT I GOT CHARGED AND NO COURTESY ADJUSTMENT WAS MADE NEITHER FSH OR HOSTELWORLD. THAT'S JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG. I RATHER A CARDBOARD BOX, REALLY.

• 7th Jan 2014

A good hostel but in my opinion not worth what they charge, in a good location and they have a free breakfast next door. Unfortunately while I was there the cleaner removed my two water flasks and the staff could not find where they had been put meaning that I now have to buy new ones.

Nice people. Fantastic breakfast.

• 5th Jan 2014
  • China

We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay here with us in Boston! Hopefully you will come stay with us the next time you're in the area. We have made improvements to our breakfast as well, so perhaps you'll enjoy yourself even more during your next stay!

An extremely friendly and helpful lady at reception.

• 5th Jan 2014
  • Poland

Thank you for your comments! We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay, and hope that you'll come stay with us again the next time you're in Boston!

The hostel itself is a good place to stay. The staff is friendly, the rooms are spacious and it is close to a metro station. Plus, all the guests can have free breakfast at the café downstairs. The only thing was that the heater wasn't working very well, and it was kind of cold in the room.

• 4th Jan 2014

The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We would certainly return on our next visit to Boston. We have already told a few hostel traveling friends about the place.

• 30th Dec 2013

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Boston! We have made improvements to our facilities, and perhaps you'll enjoy your next stay with us even more! We look forward to having you and your friends with us in the future!

Wi-Fi/Internet was not working most of the time. Stay was a bit overpriced. Cafe/breakfast was great.

Very close to North Station. Nice café downstairs.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Boston. We hope to have you stay with us again the next time you are in the area!

Not clean. It seems the dorm was overbooked so they added a temp bed which made the room even more crowded. Not personal light.

The hostel is very good. The staff were very courteous and the breakfast were very tasty and filling. I enjoyed my stay. The only thing I didn't like was that guests have to rent things like soap, shampoo and towels.

A member of the staff was sleeping with us and he was not very friendly or pleasant to stay with. There was overbooking in the room: one night we were seven in a room for six persons which was already very small. Besides it could have been much cleaner. A friend of mine needed to come with me so that I can give him some stuff and he was allowed to come, which would not have been such a big deal as it was for a couple of minutes only... Finqlly the bedsheets were not appropriate to the size of th

This seemed a pretty nice place, though I was there just 1 night. The only downside was being pretty heavily pressured by the cleaner woman to check out at 10:20 (check out, and my pick up, was 11). To the point where she was trying to strip the sheets off my bed while I was still packing, telling me repeatedly "when you check out you have to take those down too". Not the best final impression!

Poor customer service, they want to make money out of everything!, very expensive...... NOT RECOMMENDED!

Hi, We truly try and give as much as we can back to our guests in the form free meals for hostel guests throughout the week, meal special in the hostel cafe and access to vending machines throughout the facility. Certain items, such as toiletries we are unable to give away for free because of the cost. We do hope that if you find your way back to Boston you will choose to stay with us again and let us show you some of the value added items we have to offer.

Staff are very nice, warm, professional and helpful. The only thing I don't like about this hostel is the fact that there's no elevators and one has to go up stairs. Lobby is at second floor, most rooms are at the 3rd floor. Carrying bags up and down is truly a hassle. If you are handicap - this is NOT the place to go. Other than that, its a simple yet cool, chill hostel.

Totally solid choice at a good price. Staff is super nice, place is very conveniently located, everything is very clean.

Friend Street Hostel is in a great location for catching events at the Garden, exploring the North End, or hopping on the T to another part of the city. There are bars around, so if you go to bed early or are a light sleeper, bring headphones, or you can buy earplugs at the front desk. The room was clean and the comforter looked pretty new. The shower room and bathrooms were also clean. The free breakfast offerings were simple, but the cafe had very reasonably priced items.

• 5th Dec 2013

Naavah was especially helpful!