Friend Street Hostel & Café Reviews

234 Friend Street, Boston, USA

A member of the staff was sleeping with us and he was not very friendly or pleasant to stay with. There was overbooking in the room: one night we were seven in a room for six persons which was already very small. Besides it could have been much cleaner. A friend of mine needed to come with me so that I can give him some stuff and he was allowed to come, which would not have been such a big deal as it was for a couple of minutes only... Finqlly the bedsheets were not appropriate to the size of th

This seemed a pretty nice place, though I was there just 1 night. The only downside was being pretty heavily pressured by the cleaner woman to check out at 10:20 (check out, and my pick up, was 11). To the point where she was trying to strip the sheets off my bed while I was still packing, telling me repeatedly "when you check out you have to take those down too". Not the best final impression!

Poor customer service, they want to make money out of everything!, very expensive...... NOT RECOMMENDED!

Hi, We truly try and give as much as we can back to our guests in the form free meals for hostel guests throughout the week, meal special in the hostel cafe and access to vending machines throughout the facility. Certain items, such as toiletries we are unable to give away for free because of the cost. We do hope that if you find your way back to Boston you will choose to stay with us again and let us show you some of the value added items we have to offer.

Staff are very nice, warm, professional and helpful. The only thing I don't like about this hostel is the fact that there's no elevators and one has to go up stairs. Lobby is at second floor, most rooms are at the 3rd floor. Carrying bags up and down is truly a hassle. If you are handicap - this is NOT the place to go. Other than that, its a simple yet cool, chill hostel.

Totally solid choice at a good price. Staff is super nice, place is very conveniently located, everything is very clean.

Friend Street Hostel is in a great location for catching events at the Garden, exploring the North End, or hopping on the T to another part of the city. There are bars around, so if you go to bed early or are a light sleeper, bring headphones, or you can buy earplugs at the front desk. The room was clean and the comforter looked pretty new. The shower room and bathrooms were also clean. The free breakfast offerings were simple, but the cafe had very reasonably priced items.

• 5th Dec 2013

Naavah was especially helpful!

The staff was very helpful and super friendly, at both the hostel and the cafe, very warm atmosphere! The rooms, bathrooms and showers were very clean. The location is great for getting around -- centrally located.... But it is by a stadium and a few bars, so it can be 'less quiet' at times. The only misfortune is that walls are thin between some rooms. Sleeping late may be a challenge. Other than that .. The Friend St Hostel is a nice place to stay... recommended!

• 29th Nov 2013

This is basically a very decent little hostel. The main issues were that the sheets were very thin and didn't seem that clean, there was no duvet cover provided, and I hate duvets anyway, and the room smelled pretty bad, not sure if that's the hostel's fault or that of the current inmates. The vinyl covered mattress was more like a boat seat cushion than an actual mattress. Other than that it's actually pretty nice and could be much better if they addressed those issues.

Hi, We appreciate your comments. The mattresses are an issue in which we are working to remedy and the smell may have been easily enough address if brought to our attention. We hope that this would not discourage you from staying with us again. We strive to constantly improve and provide the best experience possible to our guest. We hope to see you again soon,

The hostel is right next to TD Garden which was the big selling point for me, the staff was friendly, what I didn't like about the hostel is there are far too many rules, I'm a backpacker wanting a fun hostel however for me this hostel was boring, I didn't like the staff coming into my room at 2:30 am & 3:30 am to check up on us in the room, thanks for waking me up, I wouldn't stay at this hostel in the future, boring and too many rules

The room was bit stinky because there were many young males. Even during winter, you'd better air a room. Also, I wanted a hair drier in shower rooms.

Stay away from this place. They have only 3 bathrooms for the whole facility, only 3 tiny showers for all girls. Stuff was not helpful and accommodating at all. Their kitchenette was a joke, only 1 PC available to all guests. No private rooms. 12 people in very small rooms. Paper thin walls, so it is very noisy place - all night long. Bunk beds are uncomfortable, mattresses had sticking springs, every bed was very squeaky. Parking garage is close but very expensive.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We think you may not have given our hostel a fair chance. Our staff is highly trained & quiet frankly they are very good at what they do! There are never lines waiting to use the restrooms, our showers are standard in size, our beds are less than a year old & our mattresses do not have springs in them. I could continue but hope you see our point. You may want to consider a hotel instead of a hostel for your next stay. Good luck!

we had a great time at friends street hostel. There is free breakfast every day at the nearby cafe which is really nice. The hostel is located next to the the TD Garden - perfect to see a game! The staff is very nice and they can always get you some informations or directions about Boston. Enjoyed our stay and got to know a couple of nice people :)

Overall it's a good place. A few things you may want to know. They don't have self serve laundry and the common areas aren't available starting at noon and midnight for cleaning (I believe for 2 hours but not sure). The cafe, which is part of the hostel and is just outside is very convenient .

I've stayed 4 nights. Good location, walking distance to the center of the city and close to metro station. One day the hostel offered us free meal -- spaghetti (which was great in november, very cold to go outside). You'll have free breakfast @ a cafe downstairs: go there early to have the best. The common area is small and people there didn't interact much (only with their laptops) but staff was helpfull. My only "complain" is regarding the 10 Bed Female Dorm: wasn't very well ventilated...

Nice hostel! Well situated and great staff, had a good time in here!

Thank you, we were happy to have you! We hope you'll stay with us again if you are ever back in Boston.

The location is good, and goes with a free light breakfast in the cafe downstairs, considering the price it is not bad (although the bed is not quite comfortable). And staff is very friendly.

Mattresses were super uncomfortable and therefore I slept horribly; otherwise I would have given this place a great review. Staff was great and bathrooms/showers were very clean. I enjoyed the location and felt the price was pretty fair...just please fix your beds - I'm lucky I only slept there one night

• 2nd Nov 2013

Loved the cafe on the ground floor. The mattresses were decent and the blankets were warm.

My friends and I were very pleased about the place. The hostel was extremely comfortable, you can arrive at any hour, there always be someone, and the staff is very welcoming. They have all you need ( you can borrow and buy cosmetics stuff if you forgot something ). Little plus, there is free breakfast from 8:00 AM until 10:00, something really practical when you come to visit the city. And above all, the hostel is very well located, juste few minutes from restaurants, bars and metro station.

• 29th Oct 2013