Friendly Gecko Guesthouse Reviews

Africana / White Sands, P.O. Box 35936, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

No Rating

Friendly Gecko's primary function is to house young volunteers working at the organization's orphanage. And this it does very well. I applaud this work, but as a guesthouse I cannot recommend it. At least if not you have passed the age of 30. It was the only place during my visit to Tanzania that I didn't feel welcome upon arrival. The best thing about FG is that it is a safe and beautiful place to stay, with high walls around and guards after dark. And it is not far from the beaches.

It's about 30-60 minutes outside of Dar, depending on traffic, but that also means its peaceful and quiet with plenty of restaurants around. Week nights they offer dinner for 5,000 Tsh/$3 which is delicious!

Without a doubt the most unprofessional hostel I've ever dealt with! I made several bookings with the Friendly Gecko through Hostelworld. The first they took the deposit for, then emailed to say the room was not available and could'nt take the booking. They could however take my deposit and ignore my requests for a refund. Another booking was made, and a few days before I arrived I rang to make an enquiry, and found they had cancelled this reservation too - this time without any email! AVOID!!!

The host wasn't available when I checked in, nor were there staff to explain and show me around. The internet wasn't available until late in the evening. We were left to figure out everything ourselves.

Good place, however no hot water in the showers, which is never great

It's good to be a little outside the centre of the city. Staff and volunteers at the orphanage (which benefits from your stay) were very kind and welcoming. Shortly after arrival they took me out to supper at "T Square" -- inexpensive and satisfying a short walk away. Soon there will be Wi-Fi at the hostel. I stayed in a self-contained private room which was fine. Air conditioning did not work, but fan helped a lot. Nice ambiance. Self-serve kitchen. DM

• 17th Mar 2012

Hey David, It was great to have you stay with us at the Friendly Gecko and a pleasure to share dinner at the local eatery. The Wi-Fi is now up and running!!! a very exciting new privilege here at the house. As far as the A/C problem, some else actually mentioned it too and I realized that I need to show new guests how to turn the power on to the A/C unit. Silly me. Pole Sana (sorry about that - kiswahili). Karibu Tena (welcome back) :) Lauren, Manager - Friendly Gecko

One of the best hostels I've ever been to. The amenities are clean and new. The people are welcoming. And the beach is within walking distance. Go here.

View all Dar es Salaam Bed and Breakfasts