Frogshollow Lodge & Backpackers Reviews

27 Lindsay St, GPO Box 410 - Berrimah 0828, Darwin, Australia

If you are looking for a base to stay in Darwin for a while with a great community/chilled vibe, frogs is a good place to settle. It fits the statement 'the people make the place'. Its not the most tidiest of places and good luck if you're on the top bunk (no ladder up?!) Or into your cooking as the kitchen is tiny.But it is cheaper than most places. Most people have been there a while and work, so it is quite quiet during the week which they make up for on the weekend!

• 18th Jul 2015

This place is a good place to make party and meet people. But bedrooms are tidy and don't shut, everybody can come in your room. Bathrooms and toilets are really dirty.

• 9th Jul 2015

HI there, Thankyou for choosing Frogs for your stay. Were thecheapest and most fun place in town. The bathrooms get cleaned twice a day but we will certainly check into why you felt they were dirty. Were an older building and everything has some charm but bleach is our good friend and we do try. \ With the rooms we ask that you lock the doors. I know Darwin is a very relaxed and amazingly safe place but all doors have a lock and we encourage people to use them. have a great onward journey

Pros: Convenient location near Darwin CBD. Wifi was decent. Price was good. The staff were very friendly and informative. Cons: The place was filthy, the bathrooms were among the worst I've seen in two years of backpacking. The quiet hours were ignored and guests drank until 3-4 in the morning. Hostel staff did not attempt to quiet them. The kitchen was small and quite crowded.

Thanks heaps for your feedback. We clean bathrooms twice a day but the onslaught to work and after work can be interesting times. I agree our free wifi is pretty handy to skype and chat. Also we have free breakky which is handy. I am sory that the guests were to noisy for you. I have printed this off to show Iris and Pirate as they will be so please you mentioned them. WE all try really hard to help guests so its rockstar feeling that you noticed our efforts! Thankyou !! hugs

One word: Disgusting.

It wasn't clean and always messy. But we still had a good time.

HI there , Im so glad you enjoyed your stay in darwin and esspecially at Frogs. We know you had a great time at the sunset markets with out frogs crew and with Darwin festival just starting now we hope to see you come back to visit. The festival is an amazing time for culture and arts. Were sory that your room was messy we ask guest to look after there own belongings. I will remind the people who were in your room (there still here) that you found it messy and hopefully theyll do better.

I scored value for money 'good' because hostels in Darwin are for some reason crazy expensive and you get what you pay for here (as oppossed to the others). Unfortunately, because you don't pay a lot, you won't get a lot. I had a top bed without a ladder or anything close to it so I could climb on top of it. The room was open 90% of the time and there were clothes all over the place from people that stayed there for a longer time. No atmosphere at all, especially for newbies. Wouldn't recommend.

Very dirty, lot of noise, old facilities

• 5th Jun 2015

You don't expect much when the receptionist apologizes multiple times for the condition of the room when checking you in. The dorm was crowded and many people complained about not being able to find their unoccupied bed when checking in. The door was often left open because it was so hot. The breakfast was simple white bread and condiments, the beds were very worn and some were on the verge of breaking. I might still consider staying there again because it was cheaper than the alternatives.

Never again. I have never seen anything like it. I arrived in the evening. People were drinking and playong loud music. When I saw my room all I wanted was to run away. It smelled bad and it was one big mess. The luggage amd stuff from the other guests were everywhere. I had no clue where to put mine. I wanted to have it up next to me in the bed, because I was afraid someone might go through my stuff. The beds I didn't even want to touch it. The place just screamed bacterias. So I left immediat

Really dirty and so cramped

• 24th May 2015

Could not sleep! Yes it was a Saturday night during the dry season, I was expecting a little noise but to have music playing until 6am! That's just so rude! No staff told them to turn it down or have a curfew in place. Not only that but the fact that the bed sheets still had cum stains on it was the most disturbing feeling of all. Next time I'll sleep in the park across the street.

• 23rd May 2015
  • New Zealand

Hi there, thankyou for taking the time to write a review. All sheets are handed to guests on check in. Clean and fresh folded. YOu then make the bed yourself. If there is a mark that makes you uncomfortable I would really ask you bring it back and we will get new sheets. WE are loving this Dry season its been lovely. Festivals and events all the time. We have no music system at frogs. Only one small TV. The Guest noise is there personal laptops and iphones. We also love the amazing park.

Bathrooms where quite disgusting with some of the showers not even having heads on them and drunken guests were allowed to play lound music till sometimes 5am

• 14th May 2015

HI there , Thankyou for taking the time to review us. We are constantly repairing the hostel so were sory that your bathroom was not fixed on the day. I checked the dates you were here and unfortunatly there was a group party that was beyond normal. We dont supply any noise at frogs. It is just from the guests iphones and laptops. This definatly builds up and is loud right out the front of the room. I appologise for your expierience. WE will try to do more rounds at night.

The place is probably ok for a young backpacker from overseas but it is noisy for those wanting sleep. The place was cleaned ok by backpackers but needs updating and renovating. Showers hot and strong and enough toilet paper. I would not go again because I am an older person but the young ones seemed to be having a ball.

Hi there , thanks heaps for your caring review. Im so glad you rated the staff so highly I will pass that on to them. We do seem to have a very young crowd. It changes up a bit here and there. We are grateful for your stay and hope if you need anything next time in Darwin you would ask us. We can always call help find a different space, or some amazing activities. Were local so we know the area well. Thanks again.

The hostel can definitely divide the reviewers into 2 extremes depending on the idea of a "backpacker's hostel". If you're looking for 4 walls and tons of fun with the people, then this hostel is for you.

Hi . I think you hit the nail on the head. We are a easy space to meet people and have some fun. Were right in the city and free wifi means you can skype friends back home. I hope you come home again soon. Chelsea

This hostel is disgusting, dirty, noisy, without airconditionner. The room are like a jail . The mattress are disgusting. The atmosphere is very noisy everyone is drunk. Not recommend at all!!!

• 17th Apr 2015

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to review our home. Were a small family run place and offer rooms of many sizes. Some with Air con some with out. The prices for the fan cooled room are the cheapest. All stays include free WiFi and free breakfast. I hope that help a little. I understand that you did not like the other guests drinking and we apologize for that. However we do not sell alcohol and encourage guests to have a BYO with a bbq. A less commercial more friendly way to socialize.