Funky Mamaliga Hostel Reviews

str. Kogalniceanu 16, Chisinau, Chisinau, Moldova

Great place for a stop off. We were on the way back from Ukraine and it was wonderful just to sit back in the beer garden and chill out. Rooms were small but nothing to complain about. They are build a underground bar so when that happens it will be fantastic!

The hostel was really colorful and nice and the stuff was quite friendly. On the other hand, the mattress on the beds were not so good and the shower was quite awful.

We arrived at 8pm to find out that the hostel was overbooked and they were moving us to a new "hostel". Without warning. We were moved to a conference center even FURTHER from the city center. no introduction, just shown our room and left. There was no key, no windows. They also made us pay for the taxi to the new place, even though it was their fault. I waited for the manager to arrive after eating dinner, for the taxi refund and she was a no-show. WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND.

• 25th Jul 2015

It has a great atmosphere and the facilities were clean. The staff was being a bit cheeky with the currency when paying with Lei but they were helpful and nice overall. The main problem is the bed and room. I stayed in a 10-bed dorm (12 in fact) and there is very little space in the room and the mattress was very uncomfortable. I thought the floor would be rather more comfortable (but of course I couldn't due to lack of space). I liked this place but had to change after a couple of nights.

Great to place to stay!! It has a great beer garden to relax in and swap stories with fellow intrepid travellers. Great hostel! Would stay there again!

Fantastic hostel, highly recommend it! Great kitchen and outside area. Helpful staff who organise tours, and have a (reasonably priced) driver available.

Very good hostel , helpful, friendly staff. , I would recommend this hostel if you are visiting Chisinau. Three weeks earlier I stayed for one night , I left my sunglasses behind , thanks to the staff for keeping them for me.

Hostel occupies a house in a residential area. Even has a small yard and hammock. Nice place. Would stay here again. The only drawback is the long distance from the train station. Requires 30 minutes walking, a trip on a tight minibus or a potential rip-off taxi. Once here, however, everything is cool and Funky.

Kind of sketchy entrance when arriving at night but overall good hostel. Wouldn't recommend going to Moldova in general but fine stay.

I was made to feel very welcome at this homestay-like hostel. Ruda was a great host, despite being new to the job, and he made for pleasant company. Constantin was also a good guy to have on board and picked me up from the station after midnight. The only negatives would be: The beds are a little bit old and the springs are a little uncomfortable. The breakfast leaves much to be desired. Slightly stale bread and jam is what it is - but it does the job I suppose! I would stay here again :)

If you don't expect too much you won't be disapointed but be prepared :)when we asked about the breakfast included the staff just smiled and said it doesn't exist .They weren't very organized I had to move 2 times because it turned out that I have put my things on somebody elses bed even if I asked the staff if I can have that bed.Just 1 shower so you have to stay in line,the commonroom is almost inexistent.It has a nice garden and it's close to the center,some of the staff were nice&helpful