Funky Mamaliga Hostel Reviews

str. Kogalniceanu 16, Chisinau, Chisinau, Moldova

The staff, Michael, who helped me get the taxi and negotiate the fare very early in the morning, thank you very much!

• 9th Nov 2015

Hostel was ok, nothing more. Now in off season it was very quiet. The rooms had mould damage on them, and the seating area isn't exactly world class. That being said, the staff were pretty good guys and the hostel manager was very nice too. I'd just suggest not going to Chisinau at all to be honest.

Nice hostel with good atmosphere.

Very calm neighbourhood, all the most important things are available (fridge, plates, glasses, washing machine, shower, 2 wc's et.). Cold beer is available for 20 lei. Only thing I didn't like - bed sheets are quite terrible.

• 20th Sep 2015
  • Latvia

A bit of a an oddball this one. Staff did 24hr shifts as they were shortstaffed. There's a 50 Moldovan lev (2Euro) penalty for early check in (before 1pm). I've never heard of any hostel doing this before. They charge even if the bed is free, as well as for using the hostel facilities after check out. Breakfast was the most basic of toasts and jam. Location, whilst in town centre, was still a good 10min walk away from the main street.

It's a private house converted into an informal but amusing little hostel. The owner is a nice young guy who probably doesn't get enough sleep. Could use screens on the windows for mosquitoes, otherwise fine. Walking distance from the central station.

Great place for a stop off. We were on the way back from Ukraine and it was wonderful just to sit back in the beer garden and chill out. Rooms were small but nothing to complain about. They are build a underground bar so when that happens it will be fantastic!

Funky Mamaliga Hostel is very cozy and clean. The staff is friendly. The patio is well-kept with a big nice grape plants. ;)

The hostel was really colorful and nice and the stuff was quite friendly. On the other hand, the mattress on the beds were not so good and the shower was quite awful.

We arrived at 8pm to find out that the hostel was overbooked and they were moving us to a new "hostel". Without warning. We were moved to a conference center even FURTHER from the city center. no introduction, just shown our room and left. There was no key, no windows. They also made us pay for the taxi to the new place, even though it was their fault. I waited for the manager to arrive after eating dinner, for the taxi refund and she was a no-show. WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND.

• 25th Jul 2015

It has a great atmosphere and the facilities were clean. The staff was being a bit cheeky with the currency when paying with Lei but they were helpful and nice overall. The main problem is the bed and room. I stayed in a 10-bed dorm (12 in fact) and there is very little space in the room and the mattress was very uncomfortable. I thought the floor would be rather more comfortable (but of course I couldn't due to lack of space). I liked this place but had to change after a couple of nights.

Great to place to stay!! It has a great beer garden to relax in and swap stories with fellow intrepid travellers. Great hostel! Would stay there again!

Fantastic hostel, highly recommend it! Great kitchen and outside area. Helpful staff who organise tours, and have a (reasonably priced) driver available.

Very good hostel , helpful, friendly staff. , I would recommend this hostel if you are visiting Chisinau. Three weeks earlier I stayed for one night , I left my sunglasses behind , thanks to the staff for keeping them for me.

Hostel occupies a house in a residential area. Even has a small yard and hammock. Nice place. Would stay here again. The only drawback is the long distance from the train station. Requires 30 minutes walking, a trip on a tight minibus or a potential rip-off taxi. Once here, however, everything is cool and Funky.

Kind of sketchy entrance when arriving at night but overall good hostel. Wouldn't recommend going to Moldova in general but fine stay.