Funky Monkey Hostel

Superb 246 Total Reviews
9.2
Superb 246 Total Reviews

15th Jun 2017

What an absolutely amazing space! 5 stars! So amazing, the Mazatlan beach is so-so but the pool and waterfall at the hostal make it so you'd wouldn't ever want to leave the hostel. Plus, the owner, Salem, is a beautiful monster that's lived in over 20 countries and has chosen Mexico as his home, specifically the Funky Monkey. I haven't even mentioned the rooftop with the new pizza oven, and the swinging bed, and the bar, and the treehouse with a mattress, I could go on.. Basically, stay here..

• Mexico, Male, 41+
6th Jun 2017

This place is amazing. Staff is awesome and outgoing. Yet they also are restrained and conservative for the proper guest. This place is a must stay. Rooftop clubhouse. Pool. Free breakfast. Come on you can get much better than that for a hostel. I definitely recommend to any and all.

8th May 2017

Great hostel. Comfy beds, good wifi, friendly and welcoming staff/volunteers, cozy home like atmosphere. Lovely roof terrace and the new pizza oven will go down a storm! I'll be back for sure!

5th May 2017

AS a solo traveler, I truly appreciate how the staff went above and beyond to make me feel welcome, and the hostel was in a great location. The Rooftop is a great place to chill in a hammock during the day, watch the sunset and party at night... So just bring earplugs. :)

28th Apr 2017

Fantastic place, really clean, short walk to Malecon and beach. Highly recommend!

• USA, Female, 41+
24th Mar 2017

The staff and volunteers at Funky Monkey feel like family, and so you do too. I stayed in the private room, which was fantastic for my purposes, with my own Q bed and bath, but loved free breakfast, hanging out in the shared space, especially the rooftop. A bike was available, and I rented a boogie board and walked to the beach nearly every day. It's an easy walk to public transportation as well. I loved the murals--they seemed to show all of the contributions of staff over the years. I B back!

• USA, Female, 31-40
22nd Mar 2017

Stay. Here. Seriously. What an awesome experience. The location was awesome, it was secure, the whole place was clean and people were friendly and laid back. I absolutely loved staying here, and would happily do it again next time I am in Mazatlan.

• USA, All Female Group, 18-24
17th Mar 2017

If you go to mazatlan and you're not staying at Funky Monkey hostel, don't bother coming to mazatlan at all! (I mean, still do, but really try your best to stay here). It's an absolutely amazing place with the best environment and ambiance. The staff is so wonderful, the location is a 15 min walk from the beach, they have a sweet roof top where you can hang out & chill with other travelers, and it's an incredible value for your money. I definitely plan to return to mazatlan one day & stay here

17th Mar 2017

What a great hostel! It's clear from the moment you get there that is place is owned by someone who cares about your experience. Salem, Suzi and Mags (sp?) make sure you have what you need and are included in the activities. The place has a homey vibe that is much appreciated when you're far from home. Great experience and I'll be back for sure.

• USA, Male, 31-40
14th Mar 2017

There are few places you can walk into that feel like home and the Funky Monkey Hostel in Mazatlan is one of them. I only stayed there two nights but had an amazing time. Instantly I was included in a group sushi night that I enjoyed on the roof watching the sunset over the Pacific. The house offered several other activities the following nights that I could have joined in as well. The owner Salem and his staff set a very welcoming tone. I would recommend this hostel to anyone.