Funky Monkey Hostel Reviews

Francois Ngin Rod,Ban Mixay, Vientiane, Laos

Staff was really nice and helpful. Bed were comfortable and clean!

2 minute walk to night market. You can rent a bike for 10,000 and check out the sights. Their 70,000 shuttle to the Buddha park is a rip off. You can bike to the bus station in 10 minutes and take local bus 14 for 6,000 each way. There was a short/thick Asian girl with braces that apparently has been staying there for a while and helps out occasionally. She would walk around flirting with any dude who stayed there. Definitely annoying after awhile. Downstairs was clean. Dorm rooms not so much.

We had nice stay here. They upgraded us to a room with an ensuite which was great. Staff gave good advice about what to do in Vientiane, and organised our bus trip to vang vieng. Small crowd, but we were due for a quiet night!

Average hostel. Dorm looked a bit like a prison. Not much atmosphere

pretty expensive for what you get. shared bathroom is on the ground floor which is a bit annoying. room small but with AC. our first room smelt really bad so I asked if it's possible to change for the second night - it turned out the second room was no better, smelling like an ashtray. they have a pool table and a commong lounge-area, so it's pretty easy to meet other travellers.

The staff were really nice and helpful, but I agree with other comments, the doors felt very weak. Nothing happened and all our stuff was safe.

The food recommendation / restaurant next to the hostel definitely has some room for improvement, as there was much better that we had during our trip throughout Laos, but aside from that, really very little feedback I can provide. We enjoyed our stay!

• 16th Jul 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Pretty good hostel but really expensive for what it is

• 14th Jul 2015

The people that worked there were very helpful, helping us to book our bus tickets and also recommending good places to go for authentic Laos food. When we arrived, we decided to go for a private room rather than a dorm and this was sorted out for us right away! We enjoyed our stay and would recommend!

Stay was sufficient for what we were looking for. Air Con worked and the bed was comfortable enough. The shared bathroom was clean enough and with individual stalls was enough to accommodate everyone. The lock on the door to our room was a little sketchy and with any desire could be pushed in.

I had a great time at Funky Monkey even though I only stayed there for 1 night. I had booked for 2 nights initially but had to leave to Bangkok earlier than planned. They refunded me the second night I had already paid for and also sorted out last-minute transportation. Only little complaint is the bathroom window through wich light shone onto my bed whenever someone went for a shower or to the toilet which could be anywhen at night as well.

Clean rooms. Plugs and lights for each bed in the dorms. Friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were freezing (so rare for backpackers). Good wifi that reached the rooms.

the staff is really unfriendly. they want for every Thing more Money.

It is a pleasant place to stay with friendly staff and vibrant armostphere. Lots of space downstairs to hang out, read or work on computer. I appreciate the free breakfast and pool table. Definitely worth the 40,000 kip (around 6usd).

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Vietnam

Very good location near the Night Market and lots of restaurants. The Staff is very friendy. Absolutely good place to stay in Vientiane.

Great location, Good atmosphere, average staff, and poor internet. After Funky Monkey I stayed in a 5 star hotel in Vientiane for a day and the internet was really poor there as well, so perhaps it's a city wide problem. Staff are quite strict with timing - I was declined breakfast when I was 10 minutes later than their stated end time of 10am. The pool table makes for a great atmosphere - people would come from other hostels as well to hang out.

• 20th Mar 2015