Funky Monkey Hostel Reviews

Francois Ngin Rod,Ban Mixay, Vientiane, Laos

The staff were really nice and helpful, but I agree with other comments, the doors felt very weak. Nothing happened and all our stuff was safe.

The food recommendation / restaurant next to the hostel definitely has some room for improvement, as there was much better that we had during our trip throughout Laos, but aside from that, really very little feedback I can provide. We enjoyed our stay!

• 16th Jul 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Pretty good hostel but really expensive for what it is

• 14th Jul 2015

The people that worked there were very helpful, helping us to book our bus tickets and also recommending good places to go for authentic Laos food. When we arrived, we decided to go for a private room rather than a dorm and this was sorted out for us right away! We enjoyed our stay and would recommend!

• 10th Jul 2015

Stay was sufficient for what we were looking for. Air Con worked and the bed was comfortable enough. The shared bathroom was clean enough and with individual stalls was enough to accommodate everyone. The lock on the door to our room was a little sketchy and with any desire could be pushed in.

I had a great time at Funky Monkey even though I only stayed there for 1 night. I had booked for 2 nights initially but had to leave to Bangkok earlier than planned. They refunded me the second night I had already paid for and also sorted out last-minute transportation. Only little complaint is the bathroom window through wich light shone onto my bed whenever someone went for a shower or to the toilet which could be anywhen at night as well.

Clean rooms. Plugs and lights for each bed in the dorms. Friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were freezing (so rare for backpackers). Good wifi that reached the rooms.

the staff is really unfriendly. they want for every Thing more Money.

It is a pleasant place to stay with friendly staff and vibrant armostphere. Lots of space downstairs to hang out, read or work on computer. I appreciate the free breakfast and pool table. Definitely worth the 40,000 kip (around 6usd).

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Vietnam

Very good location near the Night Market and lots of restaurants. The Staff is very friendy. Absolutely good place to stay in Vientiane.

Great location, Good atmosphere, average staff, and poor internet. After Funky Monkey I stayed in a 5 star hotel in Vientiane for a day and the internet was really poor there as well, so perhaps it's a city wide problem. Staff are quite strict with timing - I was declined breakfast when I was 10 minutes later than their stated end time of 10am. The pool table makes for a great atmosphere - people would come from other hostels as well to hang out.

• 20th Mar 2015

Hostel is a dump. Probably dirtiest / shabbiest hostel I've ever stayed at. Shared bathroom is only on ground floor so you have to walk down stairs to go to bathroom. Lock on our door didn't work and with enough force could open it while locked. I'd highly recommend staying else where if possible.

We had a private room with shared bathroom. Unfortunately we were up on the third and the bathroom was on the ground floor. It was just a pain getting up in the night for the toilet! Other than that great hostel, cheap, helpful staff and really well located.

Stayed in a double room with shared bathroom. Bathroom was much better than other shared bathroom experiences... There were 3 toilets to use and maybe 4 showers so we never had to wait to use them. Showers very good pressure and heat! The bed was the most comfortable we've had in Laos. Common area great for meeting others, especially the pool table.

In general, this hostel was fine and in a really good location, but not very clean or helpful. I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

Good hostel, nice communal area, and helpful staff with buses etc.

Decent hostel but not the greatest vibe. Only one toilet on each floor other than the ground floor was not ideal. And not all of the outlets worked. Good location though.

Really close to the night market. Good common area with pool table, rooms a bit cramped and some lockers not accessible. Breakfast pretty good and fast!

Had a great stay here but only really for the other people at the hostel. There's a couple of good places for food up the road but didn't go hugely on Vientiane as a city. Good atmosphere while you're here though!

I stayed here for my one night in Vientiane. The location from what I could tell was fairly good, they had big lockers under the beds for bags. They have lights and plug sockets for every bed although mine was broken. It was rather dirty as there were loads of flys everywhere particularly the bathroom. The room was fairly dark and had a lot of people in. The breakfast was average as was the social area. For one night it was ok.