Funny Palace Hostel Reviews

Via Varese 33/31, Rome, Italy

Such a lovely building to say in, if a little hard to find. Would recommend.

The Host was very considerate. He upgraded our rooms with no extra charge and provided great recommendations as to what to do and see for the night we spent in Rome.

• 28th Aug 2014

BEST EXPERIENCE!! SO not what I pictured when I pictured a hostel setting!! Staff was super awesome. Room was great, airconditioning and WIFI what more could you want?!? Free breakfast every morning and the breakfast pastries and cappachinos were amazing. Also the pizza place around the corner was fabulous! Two blocks away from the train and metro and just a prime location to see all of Rome!!

• 28th Aug 2014

Very professional, I felt like I was staying at a hotel. Upon our arrival we were greeted by Funny Palace employee Eric in the internet café. He helped us map out where we would go throughout our stay in Rome (literally drew on a map), along with suggestions of the best tourist deals. He then gave us a complimentary bottle of red wine and free towels to use. We originally booked a private room with shared bathroom, but Eric upgraded us to a private room with a private bathroom free of charge.

• 27th Aug 2014

The owner was very helpful, we had 3 full days in Rome and he gave us an itinerary for all 3 days to get the best out of Rome. And a bottle of wine :)

Loved the place thanks Joni for getting me up for my flight and showing me all the eight places perfect I'm my book

• 25th Aug 2014

More of a hotel than a hostel, but very nice! Cold Air Con, rooms cleaned daily, free bottle of wine, free pastry/coffee/juice for breakfast & 3 min walk to bus/train station/market! Eric was very knowledgeable of Rome & helped with all my concerns. I will def stay here again when I come back to Rome!

Comfy hostel and nice hosts! =)

The Funny Palace was more like a very average hotel than a hostel. Our 'double bed' was two singles pushed together which would separate during the night. There was no common room. We saw 1 other guest in 6 days. There are no kitchen facilities whatsoever. Not even a kettle or a fridge to store food or drink. This means you have to eat out for every single meal, which is not cheap in Rome. Staff were very up and down, very pleasant at times and straight out rude other times. I wouldn't stay here

We came to check in at 11pm very tired and just wanted to get the room but the guy who was working there was more interested in taking the clothes for the washing from other people than in us. They don't have reception, you do your check-in at the laundrette. They offer you free wine. Didn't drink it, looked dodgy. The room was shabby and old. Would recommend to check for bed bugs! The A/C and the fridge didn't work properly. There is no atmosphere at all, no common areas.

Wonderful stay. WiFi worked perfectly in room. Very close to the train station with excellent directions. Owner/staff (?) Sat down and showed me how to get everywhere in Rome when I checked in. Rooms were spacious. Wish there were lockers big enough for bags (just small ones available). Air Con worked as well. Free bottle of wine at check in (and for the people complaining about the quality - really?!?! Its a free botttle of wine!! What are you honestly expecting. Wine is wine. Just drink it.)

Perfect place! The best hostel I have been at.

The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, and our room was clean and comfortable. Perfect for our stopover in Rome, but I imagine it would be just as nice for a longer stay.

Pretty nice place overall, internet could be a bit spotty but otherwise no real problems. Not a great place to meet people other than those in your room due to the way the tiny little common area is set up. Also, free bottle of wine was a great gesture but unfortunately it tasted like salt water, so I would advise against actually drinking it...

Room was serviced everyday beds made and clean basin and toilet, towel provided at no extra charge, fridge didn't work in our room but staff were happy for us to leave food and drinks in the laundry fridge. Great wifi and free! Provided coffee and croissant at spinello restraunt every morning which tasted delicious! Comfy bed, lots of room, very close to termini, staff introductory and welcoming was fantastic, staff recommend Andreas pizza across the street which cost we'll above average!

The hostel was perfectly situated about a 3 minute walk from termini station so getting around was easy. The rooms were great, comfortable beds and fans provided. I had booked a 5 bed dorm but was moved to a 3 bed with private bathroom as I was the only girl with 4 guys so I would be more comfortable. Very accommodating staff!! Only downside was no common area to meet people but apart from that an excellent stay. Free bottle of vino rosso was definitely a nice touch as well.

Originally we booked a 4 bed dorm for three people for two nights and 3 bed private ensuite for three nights since the latter one wasn't available. Yet the host was kind enough to upgrade our first two nights, WITHOUT EXTRA CHARGE, into private ensuite so that in the end we stayed in the same room without changing. Whether the location is good or not depends on how you look at it because it's really near roma termini, where terravision stoped, but a little bit far from the main attractions.

Great rooms, fantastic location... Walking distance to trevinfountain, colosseum extra! Only disappointment was that I was in a private room (no dorms available) and was completely separate from the actual hostel and not allowed to go in to common areas, meaning there was no atmosphere. If you are looking for a reasonably nice hotel room on a hostel budget, this is for you!

The staff are interesting and friendly.

Wonderful stay. Really friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable beds and fans because it was very warm. We were given a bottle of wine upon arrival and a map and the staff planned our day for us and told us how to get to the sites. Only down side was that the shower was cold the one day I used it. Will definatley come back though!

• 28th Jul 2014