Funny Palace Hostel Reviews

Via Varese 33/31, Rome, Italy

I will divide my comment in to sections, good points and bad points Good Points: -There is a safe in every room for everyone -Is near the station near restaurants and supermarkets Bad Points -There is no common room, I just met people from my own room -The bathroom is poor, the shower douche was not fixed on the wall so you have to hold it the whole time, the bathroom smells even after the staff cleaned it - The "breakfast" is only a croissant and a coffe/juice, do not worth it Grade 5.5

• 4th Apr 2015

We enjoyed our stay very much. Our room had everything we needed. The breakfast was top notch (the guys at Spinelli were very polite). Thank you for the suggestions of where to eat and what to visit. It was very useful for us. Overall, everything was awesome. Thank you very much for everything.

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Romania

Quite a nicely located hostel. Very close to the main train station and bus station and metro line so it was very easy to get everywhere from there and walking distance to some sights. The staff were very helpful and gave very good ideas where to go and how to get there. Has a few places to eat around hostel itself. Good security with small deposit boxes available in the room. It did lacked was a social area which made like a hotel. But you can meet nice people if you get lucky in your room.

I LOVED this hostel! The rooms looked like hotel rooms and the bathrooms were impeccably clean. Also, Mabri, the owner, gave us the best recommendations about where to go in the city and when. All of his suggestions were wonderful and, although the location was a little removed from the city center, you could easily take the metro to it or walk. It also had the added perk of being in an area where more Italians live so the restaurants were more authentic. Definitely stay here!!

The things I don't like that much are just the price(a bit high perhaps due to the Easter) and the bathroom(too small). Everything else is just so good!! Especially the staff Alex!! He shared his pizzas and some hot snacks with me while I was chatting happily with others!! Definitely like the atmosphere here!

This really is a funny place. I had trouble finding it because the office is in a laundromat! There is not common area to hang out or meet people which I missed, but the staff is really nice. Mabri showed me and my friend how to get everywhere in the city and was helpful when we tried to get tickets to the vatican. He also showed me where the best gelato place is in the whole city, so for that I am eternally grateful!

The staff was very eager to help plan what you would do during your stay. They provided maps and information regardless of if you already had plans. The facility wasn't extremely clean or welcoming, but it served it's purpose as a place to sleep. If you are looking for a more hotel-like experience, this hostel is probably not for you. However, if all you really need is a place to sleep, then it suffices. The location is right near the train station, which is convenient for travel.

• 30th Mar 2015

The staff at Funny Palace were so nice and gave us 3 days worth of routes on where to walk in the city! The rooms were great and the bathroom was very nice! My favorite hostel so far!

• 29th Mar 2015

Mabri was extremely nice and helpful, he gave me an upgrade with no extra charge so i can be in the same floor as a friend and he gave us a lot of instructions on how to get around in the city. The location is great, really near the train station and walking distance from the historic places. The rooms and the bathroom where clean, the only thing is that it doesn't have a common area to stay, at least not in the floor i stayed. Also, you must check in in another building, a block away.

Malbri was beyond helpful in giving directions and hints to get in and around the city and avoiding lineups!

• 28th Mar 2015

Neighborhood itself isn't particularly interesting, but is a great access point to any of the central sights - most can be gotten to walking or through public transport, depending on your preference. No common rooms, breakfast is a coupon to a nearby cafe. Dorms resemble hotel rooms more than a typical hostel.

This was a real good hostel I would stay at again. Really enjoyed. Easy 10 minute walk from train station Roma termini and good place to leap to roman sites. The owner sat down with me the moment I got there and outlined a route to see everything I needed to see, with tips that honestly saved me hours (skipping lines, etc-totally worked). Only prob was wifi had trouble working in my room but that may have been my phone bc roommates seemed 2 work fine. Also no wifi on 5th floor? Great hostel tho

Great deal and Mabri was an amazing host!

• 25th Mar 2015

Just a massive thanks to Lily, Eric and the rest of the Funny Palace team for my stay! Rooms were cleaned meticulously each day and the cleaners left my things tidily on the bed. The safe was very useful, as were the bathroom facilities (incl a free towel). The nightly rate for the hostel was very good. As were the restaurants, both morning and evening, to which the hostel was connected. Only one real down-side: it was a pity the hostel doesn't have an on-site space for socializing.

A very good choice for a long weeken. Italy is not cheap, Rome is very expensive...... The only issue was when 2 fully booked rooms were to use a single bathroom - 2 hours of waiting.

hello sandor, thanks for your coment and sorry if you had to wait 2 hour's but the bathroom was using for only 5 person and if some one had use for long time, unfoturnatelly it's not up to us. i think one bathroom for 5 person was fair enough. staff funn palace rome

We stayed at the Funny Palace Hostel for 4 nights. It was not a Hostel it was more like a hotel, since we had one out of three rooms which more looked like a former apartment. There was no common room to meet other travelers. Some of the staff was very friendly other not really. One day the cleaning person touched and moved all our stuff and had even thrown things away which where not supposed to be thrown away. I reported this to the reception, but they did not care about it.

A very nice hostel, close to the city center and only 2 or 3 minutes away from the main train staion. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I think we make the best choice.

• 18th Mar 2015
  • Spain

Very very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent value for the money.

Looks sketchy when you go in but it's actually amazing wish I stayed longer

I've been traveling in Italy for 3 months and have not found any hostel with the quality, friendliness, and convenience of Funny Palace. Rooms and bathroom are clean and well-decorated (more at the hotel than hostel level). The lobby has computers, printers, and laundry machines ready for use. Mauro, the owner, will take good care of you and give you any tips you need on where to go, how to navigate Rome, how to find good deals, and where to eat well.