Funny Palace Hostel Reviews

Via Varese 33/31, Rome, Italy

By far the best parts of this hostel are the staff and the room. We booked a 2 person & private bath and the room was pretty much a hotel room with all you could ask for. The best hostel room on our entire trip. Cleaned every day, hot water for showers every day, no theft or missing items. The staff helped us immensely. When we arrived at 1030pm with a late flight, they took us through a map of the city and how to plan our 3 day tour with recommendations for when to show up and where.

This is a room...not a hostel. The reception is at a nxt door laundry. There is no common area for guests to meet, share ideas & make friendships. Amri was a welcoming and generous host but that didn't offset the atmosphere I have come to enjoy & expect.

Very clean and quiet. No reception or common area. Check in at laundry facility is strange. Breakfast is meant to be served at a bar around the corner, but the bar never opened.

• 3rd May 2014

thanks for your coment as you said clean and quiet, it's true. but we already said our checkin point is at our laundry and internet cafe, and it's clearly written on our micro site so i cann't understand you why you need to complain about it. about breakfast is the same, it's clearly written at the bar around, so why you complain about it. and please it's not good to lay why you you say never open, b/s the bar is open every day at 7:00 am.

the hostel's staffs are very friendly and nice. clean. strategic location added bonus to the owner of hostel who has given tips to my friend and I on our itinerary in Rome and we have fully utilised the suggested itinerary for it. Make full use of our time in Rome. Breakfast provided (yay! quite convenient). Andrea restaurant is a good recommendation by the hostel too! we have spent our dinner in Rome daily in Andrea for authentic italian food. Yums :)

For the price of this hostel it's definitely not worth it. Most hostels in Rome are not the best but this one is on a different level. The staff don't care, won't give you advice, won't tell you the WiFi password, like getting blood out of a stone. When I went to bed there was a used fork under my pillow. Obviously they don't clean the sheets. So glad I changed hostels. Next one was so much better

can you be honest please when you do a comment, because all what you said is not totally true. first of all i was the one that checked you in, gave you full information and explained you every single thing, and you said "they don't give wifi password", but you already got it upon arrival; if you forgot, then just ask and you will get it, but you didn't. It doesn't cost us a thing!. About cleaning, if it's true why you didn't say us when you are here? but it isn't.

Basic hostel. We rented a very clean double room and we got a private bathroom for free, which was nice. It was more like staying in a hotel in terms of the cleaning service and the 'perfect' privacy. You will get coupons for a free breakfast (coffee/cappuccino/fruit juice and a croissant) at a decent coffee bar nearby. The location is perfect if you plan to use the public transportation, but if you'd like to walk everywhere (such as to the historical centre) the location could be better.

Good hostel. Seemed a bit shady at first, but once we settled in it was fine. The staff was very helpful, they helped setup our itinerary for every day.

Mabri, one of the owners, provides very good suggestions for your stay in Rome. The rooms were quiet and comfortable, and the location is very close to the Roma Termini train station. The hostel can be a bit tricky to find. Email communications are handled poorly and should be sent with more respect to privacy. (Current procedure visibly addresses all tenants on the TO line rather than using BCC to hide email addresses) Would recommend again if you want a quiet place to stay.

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed at!! I was so sim when I got to Rome and they have me medicine and made me feel so at home. The bathrooms are the nicest I've seen. Plus you get a bottle of wine at checkin. I WISH all hostels were like this!! You should def stay here!

Excellent :)

Staff were very friendly and helpful which made us enjoy our stay more and feel comfortable. I have now recomended them to other people!

• 23rd Apr 2014

First impressions: great. We were greeted warmly, and the hostel owner presented us with a complimentary bottle of wine, outlined a great two-day itinerary for our limited time in Rome and upgraded our room for free. However, there were a few things we noticed during the stay that made it less than ideal. The room, hallway and bathroom all smelled musty and there was no soap in the bathroom. Zero contact with other guests. Overall: The hostel lacks charm but is an adequate place to stay.

Location is perfect for exploring the city; not far from Termini, lots of restaurants close by; the people working there are very helpful and friendly, very well organised, I really recommend this place and will go there again when back in Rome. More like a hotel than a hostel!

A great location! The "hostel" consists of only few rooms, and the common area, if you can call it that, is a small table and few chairs. However, if you are looking for a clean and quiet place to rest, then this is ideal! Polite staff and I liked that the breakfast was served in a cafeteria around the corner.

Very nıce place. Easy to fınd (just a few blocks away from the maın traın statıon - Termını) Staffs were very nıce and helpfull. I really recommend thıs hostel for your stay ın Rome :)

You get a discount on laundry services, free use of computers, and wifi (though sometimes temperamental), and free croissant and coffee. Very clean and well kept. Not the best price, but quite reasonable for Rome considering what you get.

Was a very nice place to stay! Close to the train station but felt that the train station was not the safest of places. The security was great at the hostel as well as the helpful staff! I really enjoyed the people we met there and how there were no bunk beds. It felt like we were in a hotel rather than a hostel! The employees are very helpful and really work with you to plan a trip of a life time! The places they recommend to eat are a must! Great people and great food!

Not very well marked, a sign would be really beneficial. Overall very pleased, everything was clean, staff was VERY helpful and friendly. Location was good, only a few minutes from San Macro square and other necessary stores. I would stay here again.

• 13th Apr 2014

Great staff, felt very welcomed. Good location right near termini, really easy to get anywhere. Nice people in the hostel as well, small safes for valuables. Had everything you would need - linens, towel, internet, overall a good stay.

• 12th Apr 2014

Free wine upon arrival. Friendly host. Mabri was just the best. Gave me a personal itinerary for my two days stay (way better than the free walking tours that I found useless). Probably the best hostel I have ever been to. More like a hotel than a hostel.

• 10th Apr 2014