Gandalf Passenger Ship Reviews

Oosterdok 2 Dock 1, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Staying on a boat in Amsterdam is a brilliant experience, has to be done. Gandalf is15 min walk from Central station and red light district. It's far enough away to avoid the noise and crowds. The rooms are proper shipmates rooms with single beds so if you are looking for space this is not the place for you. I loved the fact that it was compact and offered everything I needed for a weekend away. The bathroom is clean and the shower is good. Staff were friendly and helpful. I would recommend it!

• 28th Jun 2013

The hospitality was good, we liked the beautiful living room, with the big windows showing out to the waters. The breakfast was good as well. The location was fine, 10 minutes walking to the central station and 15 to 20 minutes away from the city center. The rooms could have been more cleaner and we couldn't use wifi inside the room where we stayed.

• 22nd Jun 2013
  • India

My girlfriend and I had a great time in this place. It's an excellent localisation, safe and very close to the City Centre. The pictures show exactly how the room is, but we've got a surprise, because it was more than we expected: it was really good. Very organised and clean. The host is very easygoing and he is ready to help you anytime. We recommend very much and we hope to go back.

• 22nd Jun 2013

The ship is a bit far from everything, 10 minutes to the train station, 15+ to the canals/red light district. The staff were very friendly and chill. Breakfast was good.

The Gandolf Passenger Ship was a great alternative to a hotel in Amsterdam. As expected, the cabin was small but that is to be expected on a boat. The hosts were extremely friendly and provided good advice for the sites nearby. The breakfasts offered a nice variety of options and there was always tea, coffee and fruit available throughout the day. I can easily recommend the Gandolf to anyone looking for an interesting alternative lodging that reflects the culture of Amsterdam.

• 3rd Jun 2013

However a very good location in the city center in the night was calm, near the railway station, the friendly and helpful staff.

• 3rd Jun 2013
  • Estonia

Spent a wanderful night there with my fiance, will choose Gandalf definitely if next time I go to Amsterdam.

Gandalf was great! The staff was friendly, available, and helpful, and the location was convenient. It is a boat, so there are a few downsides (humidity in the rooms, just be sure to leave the door to the bathroom open so the fan clears it out), but besides that, it's really similar to most other small hotels/hostels, except that you're on a BOAT while in AMSTERDAM. The breakfast was great also, continental but high-quality and delicious.

• 1st Jun 2013

A wonderful stay! Cosy and clean with a great atmosphere. The staff is adorable and very helpful. Never stayed in a better place when traveling.

• 22nd May 2013
  • Finland

Very enjoyable with an excellent location. Would certainly go there again if in Amsterdam. Hans was a gracious host.

• 21st May 2013

It was a wonderfull time in this hostel! The place is quiet, clean and the captain is very friendly. The breakfast and cabins were perfect. I really recomend this hostel for couples and people that want to have good sleeping nights!!

I stayed there with my mother and it was a lovely stay. The room is small but cozy (it is a ship room) and enough for what one needs when is visiting amsterdam. Hans is very helpful and nice. Overall, a recommendable place and I would stay there again.

• 15th May 2013
  • Peru

great place to stay and I pull return. excellent time on the boat

Was a great boat, amazing breakfast, spacious rooms and dinning hall bit. Next to the Nemo, not far from the Red Light district or main train station. I would highly recommend. Hans is a great host and helpful.

Breakfast provided is good, and he makes great eggs. Centrally located, able to walk from ship to most of central amsterdam.

• 11th Apr 2013
  • Singapore

This place is great, not quite in the city centre it's a little walk but with a nice view of the boat lakes. The owner is great and the whole place is quite friendly. The rooms are small but cute, it's a nice experience as I had never slept on a house boat before. This is not a party, was good accom to do family touristing from

The B&B is great, we have nothing to complain about. We especially liked the gorgeous dog that lives on the boat!

It's a very nice place to stay and it's just about a 15 minute walking to the center of Amsterdam.

It was a great experience staying in Gandalf. Location is good, not far away from central station, and being in a quiet dock, you can enjoy a peaceful night after all great things you see in the day time. Hosts are really nice, beautiful room, lovely breakfast, clean and basic room.

• 3rd Mar 2013
  • China

It is a lovely ship with a great atmosphere and a nice host. Don`t know about facilities like washing mashine etc. because we only stayed a while, but I would recommend it.

View all Amsterdam Bed and Breakfasts