Gap Year Hostel Reviews

322 Lavender Street, Singapore, Singapore

I initially booked for 5 days and now extended for another 3 days. I could have changed hostel when I found some of the cheaper ones became available but Gap Year feels like home already. Staff are friendly and accommodating, free breakfast and unlimited coffee 24 hrs helps a lot when you're in a tight budget. Wifi is sometimes unstable though. Some nights can't help getting pissed with heavy footsteps and door slamming upstairs till the wee hours but I'm good. Might stay another week or so.

• 18th Feb 2015
  • Philippines

Very friendly staff, I really enjoyed my stay

• 12th Feb 2015
  • Mexico

The staff was poor. As were most of the facilities, especially for the money.

hi, we were pretty disappointed with your rating of us for our staff. When you wanted to print your flight confirmation, we even printed it for free when we usually charge for it. To help you save on the late check in surcharge, we made arrangements for your friend who came earlier to pass you your keys. Singapore is an expensive city, we have tried our best to provide as much and were sorry for not able to meet your expectation.

It was a last minute booking for my cousin who had to be in Singapore for a night and I was not able to let him stay at my place. The location was accessible and he was happy with the arrangements. His feedback: pleasant communal, no frills stay. Guess that sums it all.

• 10th Feb 2015
  • Singapore

its pretty hard to climb the bunk bed

• 30th Jan 2015
  • Indonesia

the hostel was great. The room was for 12 people but you have you can find your owne space!. free breakfast it was good. some toast with jam, nutella or peanut butter. hot shower was good and wifi works perfect. is a good deal in terms of price quiality. i recommend it. the only bad thing is the guy in reception was never there!

Nice communal area and fast wifi! Pleasant stay :)

• 8th Jan 2015
  • vannyteo5314
  • Malaysia

I had to move out of the single room because it was infested with mice. No management on site after 10 pm so the noise from parties and people playing loud music continues until after midnight.. Yo can hear the doors banging all night and day.. breakfast is just jam and bread, nothing special.Staff play on and watch the internet all day, no one really cares about that place or cares to help you with anything, find another pace instead. The toilet upstairs is virtually outdoors, you can below

Sorry for the mice and we have taken measures to get rid of the mice.

Expectations regarding the size, comfort and cleanliness of the rooms need to be lowered. I had to leave after one night (having booked three) because the 'private room' was so sub-standard. The door that separated the room from the room next door was not sufficient to block the disgusting noises that came from there. Additionally - the shower in the right/hand bathroom was cold.

Thank you for your feedback. The management has decided to close the room (not selling the room) anymore. Did you turn on the heater switch outside the bathroom ?

I remeber when i saw the pictures from the hostel that seems very clean, very comphortable. But when i arrived to the hostel, my room was so different than the pictures. I reserved a private room, and it was so small that even close the door was difficult. And then sheets on the bed were not cleaned. Was very dark all the place without a window.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Colombia

Small room, good security, nice staff, shared bathroom. In the morning, there many small bugs in bathroom.

I liked the pleasing environment, will recommend it to my friends! :)

• 21st Oct 2014
  • Philippines

Great location because it is near the MRT station. Unlimited toast and jam, coffee and tea for everyone. They give discounts for the tourists who wants to got ot USS, Singapore flyer, Zoos and the likes. However, Wifi connection is not stable when you are inside the room. Living room area is hot. There are growing mushrooms at the bottom part of the bathroom door. There are flying insects inside the bathroom as well.

• 21st Oct 2014
  • Philippines

thank you so much for your feedbacks. we have taken measures to clear the insects and mushrooms but we are still unsure why they are there in the first place :(

i will come back soon :)

• 17th Oct 2014
  • Indonesia

I liked this hostel, because it was modern and clean, the staff was helpful and friendly. Breakfast was OK. Close to the centre.

Room was tiny, atmosphere rather unpleasant. Woke to the sound of people clearing their throats in the hallway. Reception was closed from 10pm to 8am. This doesn't seem acceptable. It was at least clean.

• 19th Sep 2014

It was stated in hostel world website that our reception is closed at 10pm and we can't control people clearing their throats. Space is scarce in Singapore and hope all guests understand.

I cant say anything really negative about this hostel. The dorm has a good size, ac works well, (sweet) breakfast included,comfy bed, reading lights and personal plugin, only a few minutes walk to mtr, food court and a nice swimming complex.Shower etc. are very basic, but in general clean. Be aware that Lavender street is a big and busy road, making it quite noisy in the dorm from the early morning. The lockers dont make a save impression. If you dont need fancy interior etc. thats a good deal.

Gap Year was a solid place to spend a few nights. The room itself was pretty good for a hostel. The location wasn't bad, though I would have liked to be a little closer to Little India. There are cheaper places to stay, and there are nicer places to stay in better locations, but all in all, Gap Year is not a bad option.