Gaudys Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Ave. 5 / Calle 36 y 38, Casa 3636, Del Banco de Costa Rica de Paseo Colon, 200 al nor, San Jose, Costa Rica

staffs were so kind : ) and hot cakes was good :)

We really liked our stay at Gaudy's! We actually decided to stay there again when we returned to San José for the second time. Really friendly staff that can help you out with everything you need and the laundry service was quick and excellent :)

• 12th Feb 2014
  • Sweden

Gaudy's is a nice place, well positioned, only 10-15 minutes walking from Avenida Central and a little more than 5 minutes walking to La Sabana park. Room are quite clean, the price is good for Costa Rica. The guys at the receptions are very nice and helpful. I recommand this place.

• 10th Feb 2014

The foam bed mattress was very poor.

The microwave was broken and there were portable electric burners for guests to use in cooking. Only one of the burners worked. Still, I always stay at Gaudy ' when in San Jose. It's comfortable and a great location for me. Lots of space in the common areas and the staff is generally helpful.

• 4th Feb 2014

I loved my stay at Gaudy's. It is situated in a nice neighborhood in San José, close to everything, you can walk the city freely, I saw nor I felt any danger (even though people told me San José is dangerous), or I was too lucky. The place is complete and you have many commodities. We didn't need air conditioning since it's cold in San José. The staff is extremely helpful and kind.

Very good, safe location, fantastic staff, good security and lockers. A pleasant place to relax after the whole day in San Jose. Close to the supermarket. Also a very convenient location for busses to the airport.

Good stay. Nice hostel to stay in for a few nights. Brilliant man on front desk who is very helpful. Pancakes in the morning are good too

• 15th Jan 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Great place, have stayed here several times and will continue to stay here when I am in San Jose.

We can't say that much about our stay at Gaudy's really. They we're overbooked when we arrived for our stay and we ended up spending the night at the house of the owner. Still it was quit good with our own rooms but it's kind of magic that this seems to happen when holidays started...

This isn't a very safe area of San Jose. When we first arrived we asked the staff if there was anywhere to grab food and he sent us a down the road where everything was closed. I felt uncomfortably even walking in this area at night. I wouldn't have told foreigners to walk it at night. Not a great spot. Only did it for a place to sleep near the airport...that's all it really needs to be.

Stayed for a few days, everything was delightful. My only gripe is one of the bathroom's floors was constantly wet from (what I tell myself) the shower. Also, front desk seemed disorganized, yet they were incredibly helpful with bus routes and ideas.

The hostel itself is quite nice, and there staff were ok but not great. However there is absolutely no atmosphere and there were a lot of elderly men staying there at the time. I wouldn't stay here again and I am glad my time in San Jose was only for one night

Good place. Very laid back atmosphere, not for partying if you are into that. Downside is that there are only a few bathrooms. They are pretty clean for being the so few in the place though.

The space is really nice for a hostel. A comfortable living room, and various spaces to eat your breakfast. There was a nice free breakfast, although we were disappointed to get incorrect information from one of the males working there. I think if you are going to ask the hostel for any info other than getting a taxi for you, then this place is fine.

• 27th Dec 2013

This was one of the most pleasant hostels I have stayed in in 3 countries. Very helpful clerks, excellent breakfasts (tho always the sane menu), and excellent access to kitchen and refrigerator for storage of my food. Private room had TV, two beds, and private bath. Great experience overall.

There were a few issues when we were there - namrly lockers that didn't work properly, bunk beds with no ladders and really dirty bathrooms. Some of the common areas were nice, but the atmosphere was far from friendly. Breakfast was decent - fruit, pancakes ans coffee - and the staff we spoke to were helpful. Would stay here perhaps for a night, but not longer.

Only stayed in this hostel one night, passing through, but it was comfortable and affordable, and the staff were really helpful.

It was a comfortable stay.

I've stayed in 3 hostels in San Jose and this was by far the best one. Clean. No trains or other noise. Hot water. Breakfast is included. If I have to go back to San Jose again I will stay here.