Gaudys Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Ave. 5 / Calle 36 y 38, Casa 3636, Del Banco de Costa Rica de Paseo Colon, 200 al nor, San Jose, Costa Rica

Lovely staff, clean bathrooms, nice atmosphere, delicious breakfast :)

Practical accompdations at a practical price.

• 10th Jun 2015
  • Puerto Rico

For my first time traveling abroad alone, the guys at the hostel made everything very easy and were very welcoming. They answered all my questions and made me feel right at home. I appreciate it very much and would highly recommend Gaudy's!

• 10th Jun 2015

Clean and friendly!

• 4th Jun 2015
  • United Arab Emirates

Great place to start off your Costa Rican trip. There really isn't much to do in San Jose, but when they hear will be more than sufficient to explore what you need to explore and to be comfortable for your nights rest.

Overall average hostel experience, great breakfast, and staff went out of their way to help. We were in a car accident on our way to the airport in the shuttle from the hostel, when another driver ran a stop sign. Our driver slammed on the brakes, saving us from getting hit and we slid into their car instead. Within 5 mins the gentleman from the front desk of the hostel was there making sure we had a safe ride to the airport and that we were okay. Can't speak highly enough of this experience

We turned up having booked two beds but when we arrived only had one available for us so we had to sleep in our hammocks in one of the communal areas which was fine by us but we had paid for two beds! Despite that atmosphere was fairly good and airport pick up was smooth. Good open plan layout but small rooms.

I stayed here one night while transferring through the city. I arrived a bit late but they knew to expect me which was nice. I stayed in a 6 person dorm with a private bathroom which was ok. Breakfast was good and got me off on the next let of my trip.

Rented the double bed private "suite" which was basically a crusty room located behind the laundry room. Way over priced for the room.

• 1st May 2015

Very nice spot. Many places worth seeing within walking distance.

No real atmosphere, but a decent, quiet night's sleep and pancakes for breakfast!

I really liked the place. It is like living in a normal house in San Jose, and it's big! Gaudys has a very nice familiar atmosphere and it's easy to get in contact with other people. location is perfect, because only 5 min from it there's a bus stop for the bus to/from the airport (in front of masxmenos, across the Scandic Crown Hotel). Supermarkets and shops are very close by. I'd definitely stay there again.

• 16th Apr 2015

Unfortunately we were both ill during our stay here (not due of the hostel). We really loved the openness, it fostered a community feel. The location wasn't the best. The second we got out of our car a guy walked up to us asking for spare change. I live in a city, I'm used to this, but this guy was more aggressive than most and wouldn't leave. Also, the front desk guy was not friendly at all. Other hostels appreciated us speaking our best Spanish, but not this guy. No idea what his deal was.

This hostel served it's purpose as a place to crash before our flight home. There was a lot of places to eat nearby, which was nice. Awesome Irish pub right around the corner that served Costa Rican craft beer which was cool to try. The hostel itself was kind of bland, room was nothing special and there was no toilet paper in the bathroom...probably an honest mistake but still annoying. Overall, not horrible but not great either.

A little noisy, but with earplugs, no problem! Nice breakfast, very, very friendly staff, eager to help with tours, questions, etc. Banks, ATM, sodas, supermarkets within walking distance. Would definitely stay again!

• 10th Apr 2015

Nice, clean & friendly hostel. The staff were lovely and very helpful. Breakfast was fresh and yummy everyday.

• 1st Apr 2015

Gaudy's was great! Very clean and quiet, a nice relaxing spot in the midst of bustling San Jose. Very good value, I would definitely recommend it!

• 27th Mar 2015

Dodgy little place not what I expected. The traffic was so loud at night, couldn't sleep. The beds were pretty dirty. Location unsafe for female to walk around to supermarket. Very outdated hostel. Their marketing is much better than what it is. I would not return.

expected post from you as you started making a mess with all the confusion you had about our currency and trying to get the exhabge rate you got at the airport....we gave clean sheets when you checked in and took you to a half empty dorm where there were only 3 more girls, unsafe location.....come on!!! we are just 1 block away from 5 embassies, supermarket and restaurants open untill midnight just 2 blocks away from us, anyway....thanks for your comments,

Great hostel, very friendly helpful staff with a fab chilled atmosphere. I was in a private en-suite room, 'Tina' which was very comfy, clean and quiet. I had a great stay and will def come back when I'm next in San Jose

• 19th Mar 2015

The staff was so friendly and helpful. Andrés makes a great breakfast every moring of pancakes and fruit. Everyone is so understanding when trying to navigate you plans for the stay. I stayed in the 8 bedroom room. Every night was so safe, and I never had a problem with safety or security. You can pay in colones or dollars for your stay, locks, drinks, and/or cab rides to/from the airport.

• 18th Mar 2015