Gaudys Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Ave. 5 / Calle 36 y 38, Casa 3636, Del Banco de Costa Rica de Paseo Colon, 200 al nor, San Jose, Costa Rica

They were nice and agreed to reduce the number of people in our reservation from 16 to 11 after letting them know about 1.5 days before the arrival, which was nice.

• 29th Jan 2016
  • Romania

Excellent breakfasts. Very pleasant and quiet hostel. Enjoyed our stay overall. Staff occasionally a touch over zealous.

Liked the ability to make a reservation online with a credit card, but when I arrived to check-in I could NOT pay the remaining balance with credit card as I'd intended. I found mention of this on the reservation confirmation, but it was so buried in the verbage that I was upset and confused when checking in. This should be made MUCH more obvious. I did appreciate the staff assistance in providing information about day tours and scheduling, but again... NO options to pay by credit card.

• 24th Jan 2016

The staff were amazing and super helpful! The general atmosphere of the hostel was nice but the rooms themselves weren't all that good.

• 23rd Jan 2016
  • Bulgaria

Staff were very helpful. Decent cooking area. Wifi only really worked in the main room though. Not a bad place for a stop over but wouldn't stay there as a social spot. I was happy with my stay there though. Particularly as the woman was great at helping me organise my rafting tour and bus journeys

Good cheap accommodation but a little surprised when we weren't allowed to keep our bags there the next day following check out. If it was after lunch time we were told we would be charged for the room!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write areview! We have a storage room here where all our customers are allowed to keep the bags for a few hours or even days when they leave san jose to explore costa rica and dont want to carry all theire bags with them.

We stayed several times in the hostel now and find it so good. The staff is very helpfull!!

This is the second time i have stayed here and both times have been great - staff have been helpful and the hostel is in a nice area. I would definitely stay again

There was lots of ants in the rooms. Wasn't much happening here at this hostel. Handy for an airport stopover or passing through San jose.

Gaudys is a typical transit hostel in a good location close to the bus stations. Security and facilities are good. Atmosphere could be improved. The included breakfast with pancakes and fruit was nice, as usual not enough food for a grown man. 3-4 plates would be nice but hey, who wants to eat that many pancakes?

Nice, quiet, chilled atmosphere. Secure building but surrounding areas were said by locals to be dangerous (especially for female travellers). The main roads were fine but the only food was american chains. Expect to get unwanted attention from local males. Hostel itself was spacious and comfortable with homely owners, great location in terms of getting the bus. Bathrooms were small and a few ants in the bedroom. Overall, good stay but be aware.

• 1st Jan 2016

Daniel was amazing, he helped us with our whole trip in Costa Rica.....we ended up stay 3 different nights loved it that much

Great breakfast! Unfortunately it is limited for one hour or so. Room was good, the balcony was great! Staff was very helpful. Located 15minutes walkinf from the city center, supermarkets, pizza hut (DON'T go there) and var rentals just around the corner. Area felt very safe.

The staff here were incredible! David helped us organize all of our daily activities and above and beyond his job. We were there for Christmas eve and the staff made a special dinner and we all sat down and had dinner together. Breakfast every morning from 7-* and coffee was always on. There English skills were great. Secure front entrance. Grocery store within blocks. 10 minute walk from city center.

• 23rd Dec 2015

There were ants in my bed.

Andrés and Claudia were exceptional--helpful, friendly, accommodating. Enjoyed the international clientele, casual restful areas within the hostel. Pancakes, fresh fruit and great coffee included every morning. ¡Pura Vida!

Overall we did enjoy our two day stay at this hostel. It is a very pleasant setting with lots of light and pleasant decor. Most staff were very helpful but one individual was unfriendly and arrogant, which spoiled our departure process on the issue of calculating a refund. Be aware that their currency conversion rates (dollar to colones and vice versa) vary greatly, to their advantage,without notice. Also, when rides share their shuttle service, they increase the overall price without notice.

• 12th Dec 2015

You called our staff member arrogant becasue he tried to charge you the right amount dor a shuttle service, here we use the same exchange rate than the banks but you wanted him to give you $0.15 more than he should, shuttle service is $24 for 1 or 2 nd $9 p/p for +3, but you got uspet becasue we saved you $6 and instead of paying $24 you paid $18.

The building is actually really nice. Has a big living room with a TV. I couldn't really enjoy my stay, though, because there were ants in every single bed of the dorm I stayed in.

Andrés and Claudia are the best! Great breakfasts. International guests very interesting.

Very close to everything. The owner can be proud of their hard working staff that keeps the facilities clean and comfortable. Being amongst many people I still felt I had my privacy