Gaudys Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Ave. 5 / Calle 36 y 38, Casa 3636, Del Banco de Costa Rica de Paseo Colon, 200 al nor, San Jose, Costa Rica

Highly recommended. Great common areas and an overall great vibe. Lots of public computers for use, and the staff is really helpful for organizing anything. About a ten/fifteen minute walk from the downtown shopping district. Will stay here again while in San Jose.

Awesome breakfast!

We had a horrible stay at Gaudys. Our room was at a very noisy street and the whole night cars where passing, so that we couldn't sleep. A part of the window was broken, so that we couldn't close it. But even if we could have closed it, it wouldn't have made any difference, since I could feel the vibrancy of the cars. I don't overdraw it. We had an amazing travel time before and slept in many good hostels but this was the worst experience.

• 5th Nov 2014

We are really sorry about that, that special day the main street in San jose was closed and all the traffic was detour to one of streets near the hostel.

Very nice and flexible staff, hot water!!😉 very central, i recommend this hostal!!

Great staff. Nice hostel to relax at, basically feels like your in a home.

staff was very helpful and nice and the shuttle to the airport was great, drove us there at 4:00 am for our 7:00 am flight no problem.

Very good hostel - an excellent atmosphere with very helpful staff

Staff could've been a little more polite when I wanted to move my stay to another night. Otherwise this place was fine for the money. Also it was noisy early in the morning outside so bring your earplugs.

• 19th Oct 2014

Spent a total of four nights in Gaudy's over the course of two visits to San Jose. I was immediately impressed with the cleanliness and ambiance of the place. The dorms were well priced and clean, but there was no fan and the room we stayed in was right next to a road. The staff all spoke English very well and there are several common areas to hang out. Maybe it was because I was there in the low season, but I didn't meet many other people there. Less than a 20 minute walk to downtown.

• 15th Oct 2014

They were awesome I got sick and they offered to go get medicine for me even!! 36$ for a taxi and hostel is awesome!!

The guy at the reception asked me for my plans the next day and tried to convince me not to go (even though I planned to go to Arenal, which is a very touristic and recommended place), and I think he didn't like the fact he had to be awake at 5am when I left. The hostel is old, and I felt the bed was itchy, and the mattress too soft. Also I don't think the location was very great (dark street, no stores around).

The receptionist might have given you different options of how to travel around Costa Rica without wasting your time taking many buses or just having to come back to San Jose, our reception works 24 hours so he didn't have to wake up as he was awake all night long, itchy mattress? wired non of the customers mention that, not a good location? 2 blocks away from supermarket open until midnight, 3 banks, and all the fast food restaurants on paseo colon,the best location!!!

Everything is great, very friendly staff, good “gallo pinto“ for breakfast with toasts and smoothies, huge common area with a large flat screen tv, two sofas and a well equipped kitchen, wifi is working good, relaxing atmosphere, no party hostel. The beds are okay, but some of them might be replaced and the hot shower might need some more cleaning... all in all it is a good hostel for stop-overs with all necessary facilities (ATM, supermarket, bus terminals (for example tica bus) nearby)

• 12th Sep 2014

Had agreat stay at Gaudys, very nice helpfull staff. They send a driver to pick me up from the airport and called a taxi to the bus station. Pretty clean rooms, good facilities and nice athmosphere. 15 min walk to city center.

• 11th Sep 2014
  • Serbia

Great stay, Clean, perfectly located, excellent facilities, very friendly and helpful staff. Highly recommended.

Very clean and spacious common areas. Nice breakfast included. Helpful staff.

We only had a fleeting visit to the hostel (arrived late at night and left early next morning), but was great value for the money paid. The staff were very friendly and helpful, especially with helping us arrange transportation etc. which can be daunting on a first visit to a new country (which it was). Delicious fresh fruit and homemade pancakes for breakfast, which is included.

• 2nd Sep 2014

highly recommend staying here. Very well ran. Great facilities and staff.

Pros:good bed and shower in private room,good kitchen for cooking,nice tv common area,good location. Cons:beds in dorms are not comfortable,the shared shower is not clean in the evenings, ants in the rooms, price in the internet is cheaper than doing reservation directly through the hostel,I never had this situation before. This hostel is for early birds,silence time is only until 6 am, people were playing the pool table at 7:00 am and spoke so load every morning infront of our room.

You got to be kidding posting this, you saw a deal online which you didnt want to book because you didnt want to pay a fee with your credit card so you wanted to get the same deal onsite, when we explained why you couldn't pay that onsite you just got upset, pool table from 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM, the ants in the room where maybe because all the food you had in it, messiest room the housekeeper has ever cleaned here.

I stayed in a private room with ensuite. The room was spacious as well as the bathroom. however the shower and toilet were pretty dirty. the shared kitchen was not well maintained. the free pancake breakfast was good. the staff were very nice and accommodating. would stay again.

This is a great little hostel in San Jose it is slightly out of the centre but there are a lot of amenities locally. I have stayed here a couple of times and each time the staff are very friendly and helpful. On my final visit before getting a flight home they were able to arrange a private transfer to the airport at a rate cheaper than a taxi and very secure.