Gaudys Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Ave. 5 / Calle 36 y 38, Casa 3636, Del Banco de Costa Rica de Paseo Colon, 200 al nor, San Jose, Costa Rica

the staff were fantastic. Really helpful! The home made pancakes for breakfast were delicious.

• 21st Jan 2015

Facilities were OK but what the guy at reception was really helpful organizing trips from San Jose. Good place to start a trip to Costa Rica.

• 19th Jan 2015

Great place. There is not much to do in San Jose but this is the place to stay. Good breakfast, clean place and great location. Also the staff give great tips to eat or move around.

I used this hostel as a transit when arriving and leaving Costa Rica. It is close to the airport and they offer a shuttle service (24$ US) which was on time and very helpful for me! The only thing that bothered me was that the rooms dorms don't have keys or locks, so basically anybody from the hostel can enter your room, and the lockers in the rooms are really small and not in really good conditions (for small expensive items only). Washroom and kitchen may need more cleaning, but very good stay

• 10th Jan 2015

This hostel is lovely. The area is warm, calm and relaxing which is perfect as San Jose can feel like a busy city. Its slighting outside the center area (about a 20 min walk) but it's located in a very quaint, safe tranquil neighborhood.

Girlfriend and I stayed in the Balcony Private Room. The latch on the balcony door was a bent over nail, not super secure. The Wi-Fi only reached the room sporadically. There are 2 single beds and a futon in what appears to be an open area where we sat to get reception on wifi because the other common space was full. Turns out they actually rent these out to people, there's only a room divider separating them from the main common space. They arranged transport to the airport for us for $24 USD

• 10th Jan 2015

Thank you very much for your comments, the door you mention is secure if you lock it, the wi fi works in all rooms, not our fault you have a super old device with very weak reception, the beds you mentioned, yes we rent them as we are usually fully booked and if we do not have more rooms or beds in a dormitory we give this as an option to people who wants to stay here even if there are not rooms left.

Had some problems with false money that the owner of the Hostel didn't solve the best way, which turned into a bad and stressful experience.

mmmm, we gave the change after you paid, then you went out all day long and came back 10 hours later saying we had given you a false note bill and asking as to give you the change again... and even like that, you and your friends came back to stay with us again on your last night in San Jose.

Gaudys backpackers was for me a comfortable and safe place to stay in San Jose. Staff was very helpfull to inform about anything that may be needed. Very patient and friendly. Would absolutely recommend the place. I'm a female solo traveler and felt safe to go for a meal in the evening, there are plenty of options nearby. Its a 20-25 minute walk to the main shopping area.

A little far from central market and bus station but we did walk downtown from here

I stayed 3 nights at Gaudy's backpackers hostel and it was very nice overall. Staff was very helpful and welcoming, the hostel is very big and has a lot of places to sit, watch tv(huge flat screen) or play pool, kitchen is great and breakfast was delicious!(pancakes and fruit), bathrooms and showers were very clean and the location is very good(2 blocks from the main street). Highly recommended for anyone passing by in san jose or even for a long stay!

Gaudy's was nice. We had a private room with a clean bathroom. Unfortunately, the water wasn't working in the morning, so we were unable to shower/brush our teeth. The staff were very helpful. I left my purse on the interbus the previous night and they called several times to make sure I received it before I left for the airport. I only stayed for one night (Sunday), but the area was pretty deserted. A sketchy man in a motorcycle drove up next to me, and watched me walk down the street.

Overall this is a great place to stay in San Jose. Andres and the staff were nothing but helpful during my stay. He gave me very good recommendations about my trip, bus tickets, and made a great breakfast which was included in the price. The atmosphere was great as I immediately met plenty of people and friends. The hostel has lockers and safety was never an issue. Overall I would recommend this hostel to just anyone. Especially for those on a budget price.

• 3rd Jan 2015

It is a very relaxed stay for one or two nights to start or end your trip in Costa rica. iI is simple, no luxury, but what you really need is there. I felt very safe there and there are a lot of spaces where you can sit and relax. There are a few computers which you can use for free. the staff is very nice! San Jose is not a city to stay long but if you have tom just go to gaudy's!! They have a taxishuttle to the airport for 24$.

This hostel is so comfortable, it feels like a house!! I was only in San Jose for a stopover before the airport, so we walked into town from the hostel (20-30 minutes) then just hung out at the hostel for the evening watching TV…it literally felt like we were in someone's living room. So cozy! Get an airport taxi on your own - the "taxi" they reserve for you is a private service and is more expensive than if you are good at bargaining on the street. Great, clean hostel, definitely recommended!!

The staff at Gaudys are amazing! Andres was very helpful and trustworthy. This was our first stop on our CR trip. He helped us find a great deal on a rental car. They helped us find accommodations for bussing and getting around the country. We stayed here again on our last day as well.

Peaceful, quiet and clean hostel. Superfriendly and very helpful staff available 24/24. Located close to supermarket/bus station/downtown/airport. Will definitely stay here again.

• 31st Dec 2014

This Hostel is great! Clean an very cosy. One day it rained, so I just stayed the afternoon in the hostels common area and it really felt like my home. The stuff is super nice and helpful and the breakfast is delicious- much more then just the toast and marmalade you always get. I can really recommend it!

Excellent service and flexibility

• 25th Dec 2014

great location, very location, and owner very helpful and accommodating. i recommend this place to anyone needing a room in san jose!

A good hostel for San Jose for the night. The staff was very nice and helpful, and it was great that they made breakfast in the morning. The only downfall is that it is on a busy and it was hard to fall asleep from a the all the noise.

« first « Prev 1 2 3