Gaudys Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Ave. 5 / Calle 36 y 38, Casa 3636, Del Banco de Costa Rica de Paseo Colon, 200 al nor, San Jose, Costa Rica

This is a great little hostel in San Jose it is slightly out of the centre but there are a lot of amenities locally. I have stayed here a couple of times and each time the staff are very friendly and helpful. On my final visit before getting a flight home they were able to arrange a private transfer to the airport at a rate cheaper than a taxi and very secure.

This place had an amazing vibe. Felt really homely. The staff were super nice And the people staying here also. Good location , comfortable room and good facilities. Plenty of places and Room to chill. Highly recommend.

• 25th Aug 2014

Gaudy's is a solid hostel, I stayed here twice during my five weeks in Costa Rica. The staff are friendly and helpful enough, there's a lot of people coming through, but since it is San Jose, it isn't the kind of place you'll go to have the time of your life. It's convenient, the kitchen is decent (although too many fruit flies and sugar ants for my liking), it's really close to a huge supermarket, which is nice, and the buses to other towns are also relatively close.

I was content with the dorm space, it was clean and there was space to store my things. The staff were all extremely helpful. I'll be staying there again the next time I go through San Jose.

Great place to stay in San Jose before moving on. The staff was very helpful recommending things to do in San Jose and signed us up for great tours!

• 13th Aug 2014

The hostel is nice, great sitting area with nice atmosphere. Would not say its the most cleanest one, and the bigest problem with it its the stuff. The guy at the reception does not make you feel welcomed or comfortable. He acts like hes doing you a big favor even with the small things you ask.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, unfortunately your review is completely different to the rest of our reviews where our staff is the highest rated in San Jose, we know our staff and we know how the treat our customers (the reviews confirm that) even with the most challenging people, actually one of the staff members gave you a hint of how to get a first class flight back home ;) didnt he?

very convenient to get the bus to go to bocas del toro. I would stay there again.

everything was perfect

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

Staff were really helpful with info, both with tour recommendations and info on how to do things independently. The communal areas are set out so that it is easy to meet ppl. Breakfast was good.

The Hostel was great because it is a huge house with a lot of living rooms, the rooms (dorms) are small, but if it is just for sleeping than it's fine. It is a little far from the sights in San Jose, but while there is no real center you can't say it is too fa away from everything because you will have a bank, bakery and a supermarket a few streets away. The atmosphere is really good, you will feel like home!

Stayed at Gaudy's on 2 separate occasions over the last week. Fantastic hostel. The main guy at reception is really helpful - he truly does go out of his way to make sure your stay is as comfortable as possible. He also helped me with car rental as well and planning our further travels in Costa Rica. Really would recommend this hostel to anyone staying in San Jose.

• 31st Jul 2014

The hostel was good overall. The owner has been very helpful with our questions regarding what to do, where to go and what activities are there in Costa Rica. He claims to be a former tour guide so he not only knows a lot about the country but also speaks very good English. The room we stayed at is good sized, the only thing is that the bathroom needs some freshening up/reno and a bit more cleaning. The price is reasonable for a hostel in San Jose.

• 26th Jul 2014

The staff at Gaudy's were super nice and helpful. The location was good for just staying a night or two on layover between flying out of San Jose, very easy to take the bus. Still close enough to walk to see anything in the city-- restaurants, shopping, parks, etc. I would definitely stay there again!

The staff was very wonderful, treated us like family and even went out of their way to show us around. The rooms were very plain and simple but well worth the money. It was all around a great stay and we would certainly stay again.

• 21st Jul 2014

Very nice hostel with nice staff (Andres helped me a lot to organize my trip even in Skype before my trip)! I recommend this hostel to everyone!

Hi I stayed overnight. The dorm room was wide spacious and clean. Inner part of the guesthouse is like a house and feels comfortable. Kitchen facilities are good n clean , Thank you.

• 16th Jul 2014
  • Israel

We spent one night at Gaudy's Backpackers and had a great time. It is defenitly the cleanest and most spacious Hostel that we encountered on our Costa Rica Trip. The Host is very friendly and helped us a Lot with his recommandations. The Lounge room is very comfortable, with American TV and the possibility to watch several DVDS on a Big HD Television. I would always come back to Gaudy's, if i stay in San jose ever again!

The front office staff were extremely helpful for two Canadians that were just passing through San Jose. We began our backpacking trip here and went down to Colombia and we really used the tips the staff gave us. We'd stay again IF we ever went to San Jose again.

• 1st Jul 2014

Although the hostel is away from the city center, it appears to be a safe neighborhood (despite the locked gate entry). The dorm room was clean, offers ample community areas (TV, patio, pool table, computers) and has a nice breakfast. One complaint though, the dorm bathroom was extremely dirty (possibly due to 10 people sharing one bathroom). So more bathrooms would be a perfect addition in the future.

This is a nice hostel with a relaxed but friendly atmosphere, slightly outside of town but within easy walking distance and close to the airport. They arranged a taxi to pick me up at the airport which was great as I arrived very jetlagged and with no Spanish so I knew the cost beforehand and that I was being taken to the right location. There are things to do and people to chat to all the time. Really close to a supermarket and the bus stops.