Gaudys Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Ave. 5 / Calle 36 y 38, Casa 3636, Del Banco de Costa Rica de Paseo Colon, 200 al nor, San Jose, Costa Rica

I really liked the place. It is like living in a normal house in San Jose, and it's big! Gaudys has a very nice familiar atmosphere and it's easy to get in contact with other people. location is perfect, because only 5 min from it there's a bus stop for the bus to/from the airport (in front of masxmenos, across the Scandic Crown Hotel). Supermarkets and shops are very close by. I'd definitely stay there again.

• 16th Apr 2015

Unfortunately we were both ill during our stay here (not due of the hostel). We really loved the openness, it fostered a community feel. The location wasn't the best. The second we got out of our car a guy walked up to us asking for spare change. I live in a city, I'm used to this, but this guy was more aggressive than most and wouldn't leave. Also, the front desk guy was not friendly at all. Other hostels appreciated us speaking our best Spanish, but not this guy. No idea what his deal was.

This hostel served it's purpose as a place to crash before our flight home. There was a lot of places to eat nearby, which was nice. Awesome Irish pub right around the corner that served Costa Rican craft beer which was cool to try. The hostel itself was kind of bland, room was nothing special and there was no toilet paper in the bathroom...probably an honest mistake but still annoying. Overall, not horrible but not great either.

A little noisy, but with earplugs, no problem! Nice breakfast, very, very friendly staff, eager to help with tours, questions, etc. Banks, ATM, sodas, supermarkets within walking distance. Would definitely stay again!

• 10th Apr 2015

Nice, clean & friendly hostel. The staff were lovely and very helpful. Breakfast was fresh and yummy everyday.

• 1st Apr 2015

Gaudy's was great! Very clean and quiet, a nice relaxing spot in the midst of bustling San Jose. Very good value, I would definitely recommend it!

• 27th Mar 2015

Dodgy little place not what I expected. The traffic was so loud at night, couldn't sleep. The beds were pretty dirty. Location unsafe for female to walk around to supermarket. Very outdated hostel. Their marketing is much better than what it is. I would not return.

expected post from you as you started making a mess with all the confusion you had about our currency and trying to get the exhabge rate you got at the airport....we gave clean sheets when you checked in and took you to a half empty dorm where there were only 3 more girls, unsafe location.....come on!!! we are just 1 block away from 5 embassies, supermarket and restaurants open untill midnight just 2 blocks away from us, anyway....thanks for your comments,

Great hostel, very friendly helpful staff with a fab chilled atmosphere. I was in a private en-suite room, 'Tina' which was very comfy, clean and quiet. I had a great stay and will def come back when I'm next in San Jose

• 19th Mar 2015

The staff was so friendly and helpful. Andrés makes a great breakfast every moring of pancakes and fruit. Everyone is so understanding when trying to navigate you plans for the stay. I stayed in the 8 bedroom room. Every night was so safe, and I never had a problem with safety or security. You can pay in colones or dollars for your stay, locks, drinks, and/or cab rides to/from the airport.

• 18th Mar 2015

Staff here was very helpful with all of questions I asked. I loved the layout of the place and it was clean and neat! Decent kitchen for cooking meals which is something I always hope for in a hostel. Breakfast was a plate of yummy pancakes and wonderful fruit. My only complaint is the quiet after 10pm rule isn't followed at all. It was nearly impossible to sleep before 2am because of people downstairs loudly watching tv. Ended up staying an extra night to make it easy to get to the airport

The entire facility is awesome, very big, lots of rooms available, bathrooms, places to relax and connect with others. Unfortunately our room was right next to the street, constant traffic noise all day and night. Luckily we are deep sleepers so it wasn't too much of an issue. The staff seemed to be very unhappy, it was rare that they even cracked a smile. Maybe they just didn't like us or were all having a bad day at the same time. Overall it was a neat hostel and a good experience.

• 2nd Mar 2015

I felt at home and sleapt amazing! Staff is great. You will be happy.

• 2nd Mar 2015

Great location, well organized. Lots of rooms and people but not a party hostel, so it was perfect for me.

Pros: breakfast is great, the owner was very helpful, nice homely feel Cons: wifi not accessible from all the rooms, thin walls so can be noisy, location is not ideal if you want to be close to town but there's a couple of okay restaurants around. Most of the staff were friendly but one or two were not which was a little unpleasant!

Thank you very much for your comments, we are glad, we are not located closer to sown town san jose which is not a good place for a hostel, we are going to write a short list of the restaurants located less than 5 minutes walk from the hostel: costa rican and all the fast food restaurants, 2 blocks away, mexican, peruvian, colombian, italian, Chinese, Lebanese food 3 blocks away, just to mention some of them.

very quiet Hostel in a nice and safe area, supermarket is close by the trips seem very expensive though and that they charge you if you want to (or have to) hang out in the common area after you check out is not very backpacker-friendly

We reserved 6 beds 2 days in advance and we arrived at 5pm and when shown our beds they had used sheets from the night before. We had to ask them to change them for us. The Internet, for a major city, was worse than on some remote islands. The staff were very helpful with information about getting around the city. We would stay there again if we absolutely had to, but they are charging way too much for what they are capable of offering. This rating change with an appropriate nightly charge.

• 5th Feb 2015

We stayed here as a group of 5 for just 1 night. It's a relaxed place, with good facilities, and nice staff. Rooms are ok. It's in a quiet street and there's a supermarket and some places to eat nearby. City center is 15-20mins away on foot. Convenient choice.

I would recommend this hostel. It's cosy and has a wonderful breakfast. The dorm rooms are a little tight but the common areas are spacious so it makes up from it. It's a nice walk to the city center.

the staff were fantastic. Really helpful! The home made pancakes for breakfast were delicious.

• 21st Jan 2015

Facilities were OK but what the guy at reception was really helpful organizing trips from San Jose. Good place to start a trip to Costa Rica.

• 19th Jan 2015