Gaudys Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Ave. 5 / Calle 36 y 38, Casa 3636, Del Banco de Costa Rica de Paseo Colon, 200 al nor, San Jose, Costa Rica

One of the best hostels I've ever been to. Good location w/ everything you need within walking distance including bars, a park and outdoor markets. The hostel itself is very clean and well kept. Has a good communal area but not a party hostel. Great breakfast in the morning and a wonderful staff.

In the beginning it was really nice,staff was very friendly,room was alright. We stayed for 4nights. However,we had the feeling that it got worse every day. Staff seemed to be only interested in their tours&couldnt give us any other tips what to do and became unfriendly. The last night we were thrown out; you have to pay if you want to stay after checking out,but we had agreedon not using bath/kitchen&were nevertheless told to leave-1member of staff said that the area was very unsafe at night.

Thank you very mucho for your review, we all wew very nice to you and your boyfriend, you had no idea what to do in Costa Rica and we gave you all the options (with tours and without tours) you were not thrown out, you had a bus at 12:00 Midnight and wanted to stay here all day long without paying which is not possible, on top of that we had the whole hostel booked by a private company so nobody else coould be hanging around here.

I will recommend staying at Gaudys if visiting San Jose. From the hostel its only an easy 15 min walk, in a safe area, to the very city center. The rooms are average, walls are thin, but due to the fact that this is not a party hostel, you're able to get a good night rest. The shine of this hostel is the staff. The owner was very welcoming and helped plan the rest of my trip with success. Good breakfast and free coffee. I would stay here again when I go to San Jose.

Location is great if you plan on catching a bus out of the city. The bus station is about a 10 min. walk from Gaudy's. The free breakfast was also nice. Only downside is there isn't much around the hostel as far as restaurants/nightlife, but that may just be San Jose in general.

• 25th Jul 2015

They were very helpful and had many services to offer to make our stay in Costa Rica more pleasant even though we were only going to stay just for a night.

The room wasn't ready until late afternoon, and there were no clean towels until early evening despite the promises of the staff. This might not be a big deal, but when you have spent two weeks in the jungle, waiting 5 more hours for a shower seems like a long time. Breakfast was good.

• 25th Jul 2015

This was a great place to start our trip to Costa Rica! The staff are friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was delicious. Staff even connected us to other travelers going to puerto Viejo so we could share a taxi to the bus terminal. They also called us a cab and gave the driver directions. Highly recommended!

• 22nd Jul 2015

After 7 months of travelling I am yet to write a bad review but the service we received at this hostel still upsets me! We booked a double room and were given a double bed under a bunk in a 6 bed dorm. Yes we had the room to ourselves but in our opinion it's not a double room. The owner was so rude, we are on our honeymoon so we just wanted what we booked. Plus the window was broken so the noise from the traffic was so loud we barely slept and the shower has no head. Not worth the money at all!

The people who work here are very friendly which is very welcoming if it's your first time in San Jose. The breakfast was pretty good (pancakes, bananas, pineapple, coffee/tea). No complaints at all. Absolutely worth the money!

• 1st Jul 2015

Lovely staff, clean bathrooms, nice atmosphere, delicious breakfast :)

Practical accompdations at a practical price.

• 10th Jun 2015
  • Puerto Rico

For my first time traveling abroad alone, the guys at the hostel made everything very easy and were very welcoming. They answered all my questions and made me feel right at home. I appreciate it very much and would highly recommend Gaudy's!

• 10th Jun 2015

Clean and friendly!

• 4th Jun 2015
  • United Arab Emirates

Great place to start off your Costa Rican trip. There really isn't much to do in San Jose, but when they hear will be more than sufficient to explore what you need to explore and to be comfortable for your nights rest.

Overall average hostel experience, great breakfast, and staff went out of their way to help. We were in a car accident on our way to the airport in the shuttle from the hostel, when another driver ran a stop sign. Our driver slammed on the brakes, saving us from getting hit and we slid into their car instead. Within 5 mins the gentleman from the front desk of the hostel was there making sure we had a safe ride to the airport and that we were okay. Can't speak highly enough of this experience

We turned up having booked two beds but when we arrived only had one available for us so we had to sleep in our hammocks in one of the communal areas which was fine by us but we had paid for two beds! Despite that atmosphere was fairly good and airport pick up was smooth. Good open plan layout but small rooms.

I stayed here one night while transferring through the city. I arrived a bit late but they knew to expect me which was nice. I stayed in a 6 person dorm with a private bathroom which was ok. Breakfast was good and got me off on the next let of my trip.

Rented the double bed private "suite" which was basically a crusty room located behind the laundry room. Way over priced for the room.

• 1st May 2015

Very nice spot. Many places worth seeing within walking distance.

No real atmosphere, but a decent, quiet night's sleep and pancakes for breakfast!