Gaudys Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Ave. 5 / Calle 36 y 38, Casa 3636, Del Banco de Costa Rica de Paseo Colon, 200 al nor, San Jose, Costa Rica

Staff were nice and helpful and patient with our Spanish. The wáter was turned off twice in less than 24 hours by the municipality without warning. I understand this was not Gaudy's fault but it would have been nice if they had a reserve for such situations.

• 15th Dec 2014

Reserved a room with private bathroom, but water was shut down due to repairs. Asked for some sort of discount, but the dude kept insisting "its not our fault". Yes, its not your fault, but at least try to accommodate your guests instead of pushing off responsibility. Could of handled it better...

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Taiwan

Nice hostel in a quiet street, unfortunately a bit far away from the center center (around 18 blocks). However, it is very close to the TicaBus terminal for international departure as well as to the Coca Cola Station (Bus to Pacific coast). Rooms are quite small for the amount of beds in it, makes it a little bit crowded. Besides that, facilities are good, it is nicely decorated. Staff was very friendly.

Nice and friendly staff who gladly answer any questions, small but tasty breakfast (fruits and pancakes). Bathrooms not too enjoyable. Nice place to crash for your first night in CR, cause it's close to the airport and within walking distance to important Coca Cola bus station.

I really enjoyed my stay, the owners are extremely friendly and accommodating and treat you like family. everything you need is within walking distance. Looking forward to going back.

• 7th Dec 2014

Highly recommended. Great common areas and an overall great vibe. Lots of public computers for use, and the staff is really helpful for organizing anything. About a ten/fifteen minute walk from the downtown shopping district. Will stay here again while in San Jose.

I have traveled considerably and stayed at many hostels around the world, and this has to be the tidiest hostel I have ever stayed at. Small and cozy, feels almost like a bed and breakfast than your typical youth hostel.

• 10th Nov 2014

Awesome breakfast!

We had a horrible stay at Gaudys. Our room was at a very noisy street and the whole night cars where passing, so that we couldn't sleep. A part of the window was broken, so that we couldn't close it. But even if we could have closed it, it wouldn't have made any difference, since I could feel the vibrancy of the cars. I don't overdraw it. We had an amazing travel time before and slept in many good hostels but this was the worst experience.

• 5th Nov 2014

We are really sorry about that, that special day the main street in San jose was closed and all the traffic was detour to one of streets near the hostel.

Very nice and flexible staff, hot water!!😉 very central, i recommend this hostal!!

Great staff. Nice hostel to relax at, basically feels like your in a home.

staff was very helpful and nice and the shuttle to the airport was great, drove us there at 4:00 am for our 7:00 am flight no problem.

Very good hostel - an excellent atmosphere with very helpful staff

Staff could've been a little more polite when I wanted to move my stay to another night. Otherwise this place was fine for the money. Also it was noisy early in the morning outside so bring your earplugs.

• 19th Oct 2014

Spent a total of four nights in Gaudy's over the course of two visits to San Jose. I was immediately impressed with the cleanliness and ambiance of the place. The dorms were well priced and clean, but there was no fan and the room we stayed in was right next to a road. The staff all spoke English very well and there are several common areas to hang out. Maybe it was because I was there in the low season, but I didn't meet many other people there. Less than a 20 minute walk to downtown.

• 15th Oct 2014

They were awesome I got sick and they offered to go get medicine for me even!! 36$ for a taxi and hostel is awesome!!

The guy at the reception asked me for my plans the next day and tried to convince me not to go (even though I planned to go to Arenal, which is a very touristic and recommended place), and I think he didn't like the fact he had to be awake at 5am when I left. The hostel is old, and I felt the bed was itchy, and the mattress too soft. Also I don't think the location was very great (dark street, no stores around).

The receptionist might have given you different options of how to travel around Costa Rica without wasting your time taking many buses or just having to come back to San Jose, our reception works 24 hours so he didn't have to wake up as he was awake all night long, itchy mattress? wired non of the customers mention that, not a good location? 2 blocks away from supermarket open until midnight, 3 banks, and all the fast food restaurants on paseo colon,the best location!!!

Everything is great, very friendly staff, good “gallo pinto“ for breakfast with toasts and smoothies, huge common area with a large flat screen tv, two sofas and a well equipped kitchen, wifi is working good, relaxing atmosphere, no party hostel. The beds are okay, but some of them might be replaced and the hot shower might need some more cleaning... all in all it is a good hostel for stop-overs with all necessary facilities (ATM, supermarket, bus terminals (for example tica bus) nearby)

• 12th Sep 2014

Had agreat stay at Gaudys, very nice helpfull staff. They send a driver to pick me up from the airport and called a taxi to the bus station. Pretty clean rooms, good facilities and nice athmosphere. 15 min walk to city center.

• 11th Sep 2014
  • Serbia

Great stay, Clean, perfectly located, excellent facilities, very friendly and helpful staff. Highly recommended.

« first « Prev 1 2 3