Generator Hostel Dublin Reviews

Smithfield Square, Dublin 7, Dublin, Ireland

When I checked in I was told they gave my room away. I had booked a private six bedroom room for six girls. They gave us a four bedroom and then two spots in a room filled with males. I told the desk we were not comfortable with that and one man was very helpful and looked to see what he could go. While another employee came over and started yelling at me saying it was my fault and nothing they could do. He also said if we wanted I change anything we would have to pay a fee. Rudest employees.

This hostel was a very busy place, and huge. A lot of young people hung around socializing, and the breakfast was excellent. One of the downsides is that the toilets were located on a different floor- the ladies toilet was on the ground floor, so if someone gets up in the middle of the night, you must travel several floors to use the bathroom.

The Generator is definitely a chain hostel, but it does a really great job at keeping the party atmosphere away from the rooms. I appreciated the cleanliness and safety especially. The location is fairly close to everything in Dublin, but it definitely does not have the charm of Irish hospitality. Safe, clean, and efficient. Great for exploring the city but not if you're wanting to get a sense of Irish culture. Great value for the money.

I can defenitely agree with everyone else, this hostel is just great! and this for such a good price. My food downstairs at the bar was even more expensive than my bed.. but therefore I accidently had a free breakfast ;) sorrrryyyy didn't know that it was only for groups LOL I really loved that every bed had two power sockets. If you want a little hint how to improve the facilities even more: may put more towel hangers in the showers. and fix the hair dryer on the second floor. Thanks!

It's open to the public so it's loud all the time, can hear music in your room. Also, no free breakfast which is unfortunate. But a really clean, big and safe hostel, would recommend.

Really enjoyed my stay at a Generator Hostel Dublin over St Patricks weekend! Really good value, nice location and great atmosphere in the bar area! Especially enjoyed the live band! Good quality food for great prices! Would definitely choose a generator hostel again!

• 16th Mar 2014

The best hostel ever!!!

This hostel is great value, easily best hostel I've stayed in Dublin. Clean and nice with good facilities and good sized rooms. Enjoy your stay in this great city by booking Generator.

Loved this place! I Would definitely stay again!

Only stayed for one night, but was fantastic! Will definately be back, and recmmend to friends visiti Dublin.

• 9th Mar 2014
  • Scotland

Best hostel I ever stayed in ,great atmosphere and facilities

Very nice modern hostel. It was clean and presentable. It is a party hostel. I saw lots of bachelor(ette) parties and the bar/common is pretty cool. Just a few things to note: it's a little bit of a walk to O'Connell street/temple bar and there is no kitchen. The bathroom in my room went about a day and a half without the TP being refilled, and they ran out of pillows so they gave me two towels to sleep on :( Other then that, this hostel is pretty good.

This is an excellent hostel. It's only a couple of minutes walk from the tram stop, and also within walking distance of the city centre. Despite its central location, it is in a very quiet area. In the evenings, there is security staff on the doors, and also card-restricted access to the accommodation from the reception/bar area. Security even extends to the room, with lockable chests under each bunk. Only issue is showers for each gender only on every other floor.

The Generator is a really nice hostel! more of a hotel than a hostel and the staff are amazing! The only thing really missing is a Kitchen. It is nice to have a bar and a restaurant but they really need a kitchen so that those who are truly on a budget can make and store their own food. Even if they made it on one of the upper floors or something. The location is near the Jameson Distillery and a little away from Temple bar which makes it a bit quiet and noisy at the same time. Will stay again!

I would like to thank to everyone who works in the front desk .. especially the Lucas ( don't get confused ) and the lady that I forgot her name ( I lost the paper you gave me ) ;(( and also thanks a lot all securities.. and the rest of the team that I can't remember the names THANK YOU ALL .. THANKS A LOT GUYS .. It was wonderful to stay with you .

• 22nd Feb 2014
  • Turkey

People tend to associate modern, large-scale hostels with a commercial dullness & lack of character , however this hostel is neither, with it's amazing interior design & layout, along with an awesome vibe, its definitely a place worth staying at.Only 1 min walk from the tram stop and supermarket & less than 15 mins to the centre, the location is also great.I would recommend this hostel for sure.

guests were very friendly and easy going and considerate. very good porridge. comfortable beds. quiet. good showers. loads of space in the rooms and corridors and stairwells and communal areas onto the huge car free square which was also quiet!

Minor issues with overbooking and having my reservation moved to a 10-bed female room (the Hen House) instead of the 6-bed to accommodate other travelers for the weekend. Upon arrival the ensuite showers and my storage unit needed maintainence but they took care of that immediately. The cleanliness, organization, cafe/bar, good location and overall vibe more than made up for the issues I experienced. Locks

• 13th Feb 2014

As a solo traveler I thought the hostel was too big and impersonal, probably fine for groups. While it's nice that there is a bar and cafe, the food is way overpriced (chef was very late day I was there and food was not good) and they don't allow any outside food or alcohol inside the hostel. They could also use a common area outside of the bar area where you can just relax and watch tv, read, or talk to people without having to talk over the music.

The heating did not work in our room and it was very cold. When I say that it was very cold I mean we had to sleep with pants and sweatshirt.

« first « Prev 1 2 3