Generator Hostel Hamburg Reviews

Steinorplatz 3, Hamburg, Germany

Right beside the HBF, easy to find. Rooms have individual powersockets and reading light but the under-bed storage lockers are quite small, e.g. my pack-pack did not fit in there (own padlock). Otherwise a nice place to sleep.

The best hostel in europe. Value for your money, clean and excellent location. Congratulations guys and keep it that way!

Generator Hostels are usually a safe bet. This one proved no different. Nice location, close to the central train station and major attractions. Good facilities which are well maintained. Staff are welcoming, professional and knowledgeable. On site bar was rather pricey though and breakfast was a mediocre affair.

The positives: excellent location, comfy beds, spacious lounge/restaurant facilities. However, I found several things that were ridiculous - breakfast NOT included, 7 euros for towels, rooms get unbelievably hot at night and bathrooms are TINY. Also, staff is beyond rude (except for tall guy w earring behind the bar - he's fantastic) they act like they're doing you a favor by talking to you. Staff needs to be reminded they're being paid to work - that plus A/C and this would be a better hostel.

Hello, Thank you for your comments.With regret I had to read that your experience with our team was not to your satisfaction.Please be assured that the guest service is very important for us.I have taken the liberty to circulate the comments to our team managers to prevent other guest of having the same problems.I am glad that at least our Bar Supervisor made a fantastic impression to you. I hope you will give us another chance in the future.All the Best, Sven Heberling, Assistant General Man

Great location very close to the central station (easy to find), lovely new premises with a fantastic bar area. Rooms were modern and clean however the ensuite facilities were unique, think an aeroplane toilet but smaller. I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm on a lower bunk, very comfortable, private and clean. However, the upper bunks were side-by-side separated by a very shallow divide. This means you are sleeping inches away from a complete stranger if in the upper bunk.

Very easy to find, only 1 min from strain station on foot, very centralized in old-town. Rooms equipped with lockers and basic bathroom with shower. Very friendly reception and a lobby in which we were allowed to remain following a train-delay. Clean bed-linen and available laundromat service. Great value for money.

Definitely a youth hostel feel. Super safe with a guard out front. Very noisy sax player outside for that 3 days I was there, starts at 9am. Very nice rooms, had a female only dorm, fancy beds and nice linens with a private bath and toilet. showers were tiny but they were private :) Area was a tad dodgy but super close to bus station and train station. Nicest rooms I've had in quite some time. Love the hairdryer. Laundry facilities were good, didn't partake in the bar scene.

This hostel was very nice, the rooms clean and salacious with big lockers under the beds. Perhaps not the place for solo travellers as it has a very hotel-like feel and doesn't have much of a social element but a lovely hostel none the less.

I've known about Generator hostels for over 10 years but never stayed in one before. I was thoroughly impressed! The Hamburg Generator is right outside the Hamburg Hbf (train station) and it was very clean inside. The building is very large and looks brand new. The bunk beds were comfortable and each one had plugs for charging devices. There were even USB ports built right into the bed for charging phones and Ipods. Wifi worked throughout the hostel. Breakfast costs extra.

The hostel feels big, hectic, active, but doesn't have a distinct culture. There is no age limit, so it feels like you're hanging out with a more embarrassing version of your parents at the bar. The bathroom, shower (one each per 8beds) are small, but clean.

Nice place

• 25th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

The bathroom is really really really small. And the room is not cleaned during my stay. I stayed there for three days. I saw the same trash on the ground for three days.

Right next to the train station and had a security guard for extra security. Really big and lacked that hostel atmosphere. Wouldn't recommend staying here if you're solo. Smallest showers I've ever experienced but not a huge deal. Pub crawl was fun, but you can do that from any hostel.

I am a 25 year old woman and I was put in a room with an old man who walked around in his underpants and didn't speak English. I didn't feel comfortable so my 3 night stay turned into 1 night. This hostel attracts big crowds and drunks. I suggest staying somewhere else if you are travelling by yourself so you will have to opportunity to meet other people.

The generator Hostel was brilliant. The scale of the building and the execution of sleeping space is slightly clinical, but it delivers everything you could want for a short stay in a great city. The staff were excellent, approachable and friendly from the outset and were great for providing any tips or information needed. Apart from the staff the greatest asset of the Generator is the large social space on the ground floor which includes a bar and restaurant.

The place was perfect except the en-suite bathroom is too small. Its impossible to do use the sink because the shelf gets in the way of your head!

Not the cozy hostel, more industrial than that, more like a hotel. Which is fine, just be aware of that. I do not speak German and when trying to speak English the staff frowned on me at several different times. Still, great for groups, okay for lone travellers.

• 18th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

Meh. Generic, but hey, thats what you get for booking a chain. Was not informed about where and how to buy breakfast, and no one seemed willing to answer my question.

The room is clean and spacious. The bathroom a little small but It's okay for us. Staff are nice and the atmosphere in the bar is so good during the World Cup match! And the luggage storage is free! So fab:)

Only stayed one quick night, but it was a perfect stop right by the train station for the next morning. The bathroom was very small though (the shower made you feel like you were in an airplane bathroom).

• 12th Jun 2014