Generator Hostel London Reviews

Compton Place, Off 37 Tavistock Place, WC1, London, England

I stayed at the generator last year before the renovations, and stayed in quite a large room. This year, the new room I stayed in was so cramped that I could barely move, which was a big disappointment. The chillout room with cushions and power outlets downstairs was excellent. The staff were very friendly, helping me organise a couple of tours I wanted to do. Decent atmosphere in the bar. Showers were either too cold or too hot, but the bathrooms were good otherwise.

The staff were not very friendly. The room was very small and no one came to clean it during the 7 days I was there.

Its been a fantastic experience. Truly nice place.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Argentina

I really liked the layout of the hostel and the surrounding area. I enjoyed the amenities (bar, cafe, etc.) and really liked the atmosphere of the hostel overall.

• 17th Jul 2014

One of the most dirty hostels I've stayed at. bathrooms were putrid. no chargers next to the beds and dirty rooms. nothing was clean and reception staff dismissive. im glad I moved after one night.

This is probably one of the best hostels I have ever been to. They had high standard on security with several guards walking about. I booked a room for two using hostelworld.com and it turned out we got a room with bunk beds. Travelling with my girlfriend I would rather have a ordinary double bed. They had rooms with double beds but none of these where available. The entire first floor had a bar, café, tv room++ and where a nice place to spend the evenings or have a drink or a meal.

Well, I rated security high. Because it's practically a police state. Laughing with your bunkmates at 9:30 pm? You'll get a knock on the door and get told off by a weird security guard. Do you like poop filled toilets? Well, then you're in luck because every day the all the toilets on our floor were clogged. Every day. More than once a day. Do you like sweating in your sleep? It's super hot and there's no air-conditioning. Oh, and the windows only open about two inches. Do not go here.

• 10th Jul 2014

Very pleased with my stay here, however the hot water was very tempermental at times, perhaps my bad luck, especially when it was cold outside at night/morning. Otherwise its a great place to stay

The atmosphere is wonderful. The first night I stayed in an all girl 12 dorm and it was not clean. It smelled of mold and the walls started leaking. I moved rooms to the top floor to a 10 bed mixed dorm and that was very clean.

The security staff were very friendly. Shame the staff otherwise were very unwelcoming. This place is for 16-18 year olds to party with the rules of - rule no 1- have fun. It is not a place for any other travellers. It is like a factory for warehousing backpackers. There was little atmosphere other than bright lights and lots of noise.

If you like living with over protective parents that constantly hover over you, go ahead and stay here. And it's not even a good deal. Generator tried to make a nice environment in which to hang out, but instead they succeeded in creating a over commericalized hostel where everything costs money. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan.

• 8th Jul 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Generator. The room was comfortable however I do not believe they had a/c. Lots of cool people staying there and the staff was pretty helpful - I misplaced an item and several people helped locate it. In a good area and semi-close to the Underground. My only gripe was the bathroom situation... One mens room on the entire floor - Not a big deal but 2 toilets is not enough when everyone has been chugging beer all night...

Generator is a very good hostel in London!

Staff very unhelpful and the hostel has no great atmospher

A drunk stranger apear in my room in the mid of the night (4:30 and again 5:30), i had to call security. They were fast in remove the guy but didn't offer me any compesation for the hassle. I paid 43 pounds for this night, i was expecting a good rest. Staff don't orient guests how to behave inside the rooms. They should enforce rules of silance inside the rooms and punish the ones that dont compliance.

1. IT WAS THE ONLY PLACE IN ALL LONDON WHERE I COULD NOT USE MY DEBIT AND CREDIT CARDS . 2. DIRTY TOILETS. 3. THERE WAS NOT HOT WATER IN ALL THE SHOWERS.

• 5th Jul 2014
  • Spain

The hostel had a funky, modern feel, which was very inviting. Staff were helpful and rooms were very clean. Definitely recommend.

£76 for a bed in a 10 bed dorm in the basement (no windows, no fresh air supply in the night when 10 people sleep in the room), room not cleaned for 4 days, breakfast not included (again £76 a night), 4 stockets for 10 people...to me this is a rip-off. Otherwise the hostel is in a nice neighbourhood, 20 min walk to piccadilly circus. Maybe rooms are better on the other floors, just make sure you don't end up in the basement (so called "groundfloor")

Overall hostel was nice but the rooms are TINY. We didn't mind the overall layout of the rooms, but for a 4 bed mixed dorm, the room was a bit to small for comfort. Breakfast was a complete rip off and a waste of our money. Wewere completely unimpressed with this, we've had much better selection at other hostels.

Hostel is massive, like way to big, found the staff really rude and the whole place lacked the friendly hostel atmosphere; hundreds of people the place, was new but i really didnt enjoy it. Travelling by myself found it hard to meet other people