Generator Hostel London Reviews

Compton Place, Off 37 Tavistock Place, WC1, London, England

We thought this hostel was great value, the staff were friendly and very informative and the hostel is very clean both in the rooms and the bathroom facilities. The only down side would have been that the showers are not very warm and the bathrooms were still goi through renervations.

The hostel was/is going through renovations. No kitchen sucked and the bathrooms on my floor wasn't finish so I had to go up to floors every time. Wait till it's fully renovated to stay here !!

Bathrooms were not available on the ground floor, and the noise from the outside is apparent from all hours of the evening including the underground lines.

I loved my stay there, it was easy to get around London with the tube. I'm pretty sure I didn't have clean sheets because the bed was rumbled and the last womans belongings were still spread out on the bed when I got there even though it was check in time. They had great (hot) showers :) I stayed there at the beginning of the year and I couldn't believe the change this time around, totally awesome!

Clean, fresh, bright and fun! The bars were a great way to meet people, and the food was tasty and cheap. Close walk to the tube, and cute restaurants nearby. Can easily walk to Kings Cross which was handy. Security is sometimes too strict, being outside for a smoke meant being monitored for laughing too loud at night. Better to stay in rooms bigger than 4 beds, the 4 bed can be a little tight and hard if everyone has large bags if travelling solo.

Security was great and the hostel was in an ideal location. Unfortunately there were a few minor mishaps with poor wifi connection and a lack of hot water, but I also understand the hostel was under renovation at the time which may have impacted on the normal services. All in all, a clean, safe room and good value for money.

I found me and my son's stay at the Hostel was very pleasant. Staff was excellent in providing the neccesssities and going out of their way to please and accomidate our needs. The rooms were a little small with very little storage and no desk top for studying . For the price it was a average. The location of the Hostel is ideal for visiting the City of London.

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • All Male Group, 31-40

The floor is our dorm (especially in the section entering the room) was filthy. It looked like it hadn't been swept in months. There was a single shoe there full of cobwebs and dust and another pile of dust in the corner. Also they were doing renovations and the bathrooms/showers were small

Generator Hostel its and ok place. Its on an excellent area in the center of London. The common area is great but it needs to do a better job with the cleaning and staff as well. Since London is a big city it understandable that the staff wont be as nice or helpful. The ladies at the front desk and the entertainment staff we're great though.

It was a very nice no relaxing place to stay, I enjoyed my time there for sure. Nothing I wasn't pleased with, very comfortable and always made to feel welcome. Thankyiu

• 19th Nov 2013

everything was ok except... 1) construction is going on and its noisy at times 2) they have a strange idea of cleaning the bathrooms at the busiest times (8-9am when everyone wants to use the bathrooms) 3) swipe cards for the rooms reset constantly when you put them close to your phone or oyster travel card (very annoying) 4) it takes forever to get help at the front desk (to reset swipe card) cause their computer system is so slow it takes forever to help one person. 5) Very small rooms :'(

• 15th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

The radiator made it nearly unbearably hot to sleep in at times, especially if you were in the top bunk! Not the worst problem to have during the English winter, but that's the only negative I can really see. Chill out areas and bar are amazing, and on first entry, I thought it was more of a hotel than hostel. Staff really helpful too. One of the best hostels I've stayed at.

• 13th Nov 2013

Very nice place with a good atmosphere and a great bar. The hostel is massive so there will be plenty of people here. Although I did find the average age suprisingly low with alot of people below 18 and got the impression it was mostly filled with traveling school classes. The room was a bit small and the ventialtion was poor. Also an extra shower-/bathroom wouldn't have hurt. Since it is only one per floor. Finally I lacked the arrangement of social events like pub crawls.

Energy conservation was not well thought-out, they could save a lot of money and our environment, thinking about the heating. All rooms had the same heating, that can not be switched on-off (only centrally). Heating on in room, too hots, several rooms on 2nd and 3rd floor had windows open.

Ive stayed here 3 or 4 times in the past year and each time I come back it looks better. They are doing a lot of renovations at the moment though and because of this there was no showers on my floor and only 1 toilet. If I had known this before booking I probably woudnt have stayed there. But once the renovations are done the place looks like it will be excellent

This hostel was brilliant! For the cost, the location is amazing! 10 minute walk away from 2 of Londons biggest train stations - Kings Cross & Euston! The entrance to the hostel is down an alleyway but at night, there are security patrolling the area so the hostel itself is very safe & secure! The staff were very friendly & helpful. The rooms were bright, clean & very comfortable. Only complaint is the showers, the temperature was either hot fire of hell or frozen ice! Overall, Excellent stay :)

I really enjoyed the renovated portions of the hotel such as the lobby and dining areas - very modern and clean. However, I checked out of this hostel early due to the ridiculous shower situation. As they were renovating the bottom floor (where I was staying) there was no showers to use and we had to walk up a flight of stairs to use the showers upstairs. There were only two showers with just a shower curtain to cover, no lockable door. The elevator also didn't work.

Nice interior, okay bed, friendly and helpful staff. Location near king's cross and russell square station was good. Only gripe was that the heater in the room was automatic and we couldn't adjust the room to be warmer.

• 3rd Nov 2013
  • Singapore

Security - could we perhaps rent locks for a lower cost as i didn't want to buy one for one night only? atmosphere - only problem was i could hear music in the bar in my room until it closed.

• 30th Oct 2013
  • Portugal

We stayed 3 nights, it was great. The staff is very helpful. They are refurbishing everything so it's very modern and clean! But don't forget to bring a towel!

1 2 3 4 Next » last »