Generator Hostel London Reviews

Compton Place, Off 37 Tavistock Place, WC1, London, England

Great location with smooth check in. Chose the twin room with a shared bathroom that is clean and well kept.

Hello! Thank you so much for writing your review after your stay with us at Generator London. It is super to hear from you and we really appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again soon. Best Wishes, Nate – Generator London

Great location only one train ride from Heathrow airport via the Piccadilly Line. Very safe area too. Also they have security guards at night who check that you have your key which is awesome. Some of their front desk staff have a bit of difficulty communicating in English. I was told by a front desk lady that they don't accept credit cards at late at night, maybe they had an unresolved problem - I don't know.. Otherwise beds were comfortable and storage space was big enough. Hostel looked new.

Awesome hostel and great atmosphere, it's only a pity that we have to pay to leave our luggage.

Hello! Thank you so much for writing your review after your stay with us at Generator London. It is super to hear from you and we really appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again soon. Best Wishes, Nate – Guest Relations Executive

Pretty good hostel. The bedrooms and bathrooms are okay, nothing spectacular. Great for meeting other travelers, has a dining area and bar in the hostel which is awesome. Location is also pretty good, there is a free walking tour that brings you to all the major attractions in London. Also if you're looking for a night out, for the love of God, don't go to Piccadilly Circus

Great hostel but beware of night staff/ doormen - very hostile!

Last stayed here 10 years ago so had big hopes that such a big hostel would now be amazing. Reception area is great, bar that serves food late, travel desk which has just about everything you need, luggage storage. But check in took far too long, & there always seemed to be a line. Was surprised to find there is still no public kitchen . As for the rooms, tiny. We were in a 4 bed dorm, only 1 person could be up at a time. Bathrooms weren't great. Laundry was ancient, dryer didn't work properly

Hi there, I was thrilled to hear that you had stayed with us 10 years ago! I am sure you agree we've spent a bit of time sprucing the place up! Sorry to hear that you felt let down by some of the services we provide but I do hope you will return to Generator again for your next London trip. Feel free to contact me at the hostel if you have any further feedback. Best Wishes, Nathan Roberts - Generator London

The location is good, staff is nice, I remember the guard from the entrance said that he liked my shoes and jeans a lot :))) The bathrooms are really clean, I didn't have a pad lock so I had to go and buy one, but no one steal anything in that time. What I didn't like, though, is that the payment took a lot, because the POS was very slow and also the staff wasn't that nice. Also, the dishes at the breakfast were not very clean. The breakfast was good with only 4 pounds a day.

• 31st Aug 2015
  • Romania

I found the service to be really slow. Cool hostel but still a McDonald's hostel. Room was tiny, not much room to move around in, didn't like there wasn't any power sockets near the beds or to match the amount of people in the room. Beds were comfortable enough, I liked the chill out room downstairs. Staff were friendly.

Very new and nice hostel with a lot of facilities- feels like being in a backpacker-town. Good location (in Bloomsburry, close to Camden, Kings-Cross, St. Pancras International, Paddington)- at least close to underground.

Could do with a power socket at every bed, there were only four in a 12 bed room and two were being used for fans as the basement room was hot as. Also, I had to lug my 21kg suitcase up and down some stairs at night because there's a night time entrance, that sucked. Bathroom/showers were super clean and aesthetically rad, couldn't get the shower hot though. Desk staff weren't super friendly, cleaning lady was super nice though. Otherwise, bed was comfy, cafe/bar area super cool.

Halfway through a 5 night stay, one of the other guests vomited in the room after he drank too much at the hostel bar. I asked the staff on 3 different occasions to clean it or move me to another room. All they did was wipe it up, but they didn't use any cleaning products and the horrific smell lingered for the rest of the stay. They neither cleaned it properly, nor did they do the right thing and move me and the other guests to another room.

• 30th Aug 2015

Great location and the staff were helpful and friendly. Nice common area chill out areas, clean and nice rooms. Great walking tours and pub crawl. I'd recommend friends to stay here.

The hostel was clean and very well decorated. The rooms were a little small though and it was hard to access the crates under the bed without people wanting to step over it every 5 minutes.

I was very happy with the Generator Hostel London, however I paid for a late checkout (1pm) but was woken up the morning I was due to leave by a very angry staff member. I told her I had paid to checkout later but she told me it wasn't in the system. She came back again and told me if I didn't leave she would get the duty manager. I told her I would speak to them however she didn't send anyone back in. Apart from that, great hostel.

• 27th Aug 2015

Well run, great feel to the place, staff are so helpful and in such a fantastic location. Loved it

Great location, everything was clean and beds comfortable. Major down side was that there was not enough electrical points, there really should be one at every bed.

Hello thanks for your comments after your recent stay. We really appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon. Best Wishes, Nathan Roberts - Generator London

Rooms were very squished in 4 door room by the time you pulled out the locker under the bed. Not much moving space. Staff should have more local suggestions of places to eat/drink outside of the hostel.

Only complaints would be that when I asked about breakfast, I was told it was a "large buffet breakfast" and there would be lots of things and was really disappointed I didn't even eat the breakfast i paod for there the other days I stayed. Also on my second night I came back to the room late at night and there was someone sleeping on the floor of the room in the way of walking around or getting at my stuff. Other then that everything else was great and I would still recommend this place.

The hostel had everything set up to be the absolute best place in the world, but it was like an element of socialization was missing and people really hated to interact with each other. that sucked. Overall, the hostel was super clean and in an absolutely amazing location, which was nice.

First time ever staying in a Hostel. Staff was super nice and the bar was always a good place to meet some new friends. Nice having food there as well. Definitely would stay here again.