Generator Hostel London Reviews

Compton Place, Off 37 Tavistock Place, WC1, London, England

Very loud, full of very young hostellers. While the security was good, the rest of the staff was either aloof or rude depending on who you talked to.

• 25th May 2014

This hostel is great overall. The huge common areas are awesome, and there's plenty of space to move around. You never feel like you have to stay in your room. The rooms were big and clean, and they had plenty of outlets. A sink in there was a nice bonus. The facilities, however, were a joke. Half of the showers didn't work, and half of the toilets were broken, and I checked 3 floors. The place looks up-to-date, but is quickly falling apart.

Nice stay. Everything was nice. Just apart from the noise of the room, cause I shared with 12 people then. I still will book a bed for next visit then.

I think this is a nice facility in a good, safe location. The security will require that you show your doorkey, which is a bit off-putting at first, but makes me feel safe I suppose. The food is really expensive, eeks. Someone in my room snored very loudly so the front desk kindly gave me a set of earplugs.

• 18th May 2014

The security is "excellent" in a way that's very restraining and uncomfortable. The environment, although seemingly relaxed, is actually very stiff and regulated at all times.

• 18th May 2014

Location is awesome it's close to the tube station at the hostels area is hip, full of students and had plenty of cool cafés and shops. The staff is really nice and helpful. The hostel has a cool vibe and a lively atmosphere.

Dorm rooms need some attention - not enough hooks for clothes/wet towels; bunks need individual lights; box storage is good size but awkward when two people need access to their things - lockers would be better (there was plenty of room in the dorm to install lockers).

Pretty good location which made it really easy to get the Eurostar, but it was about a 10-15 minute walk, so if you have a lot of luggage it can be annoying. There are also a bunch of stairs you have to carry your luggage up to get inside, which again can be annoying when you have as much luggage as I did. It's a huge hostel, so it's really nicely looked after, always clean with good showers, but because it's big they make you pay for everything, from storing your luggage to charging your phone.

Hey, Thanks for taking some time to let us know how your stay with us in London went. We have always prided ourselves on our central location, which is a short walk or tai ride away if you have large luggage. We offer a wide variety of services including mobile phone charging boxes, if you do not have a charger that you can plug into a socket in your room. Thank you again. Best Wishes Nate – Guest Relations Team

GREAT hostel. Great location, great vibe. Has its own bar thats open late. Has all the facilities you need (laundry, travel shop etc). Rooms are nice and fairly newly furbished by the looks. Definately would recommend.

Excellent security, location, cleanliness, and facilities. Staff was average. The front desk often had a long line and took forever to talk to anyone. Had a maintenance guy walk in to a private room while I was changing without even knocking. The atmosphere was average. Very young crowd, lots of large groups, not very good for a solo traveler. Had people smoking in a 4 person room.

Best hostel I've stayed in so far.

The hostel was very nice. Conveniently located near the train station and food places. Girls bathroom on basement floor didn't have door in hallway so you could always has when females were showering. It was a bit odd because the male bathroom has a door. But other than that good stay.

Hello! Thanks for sending us your thoughts after your recent stay. Your feedback about the showers is intriguing. I asked around and it would seem that due to the nature of the brickwork we were unable to fit doors during the redesign, but the showers have there own little alley to avoid being able to see in. Hope this helps explain the oddity, and We’d love to see you again soon in London Best Wishes Nate – Guest Relations Team

Really nice hostel in amazing Bloomsbury location. Enjoyed the bar and rooms were nice and very clean. The only thing I didn't love were the cubicle-style toilets and showers as they weren't particularly private, but overall I really enjoyed my stay.

Safe, clean, beautiful, fun, great location! Very good! I recommend! The only question that has many adolescents with poorly educated

• 11th May 2014

Hi there, Wow such great Feedback! Thank you so much for choosing Generator London! As I am sure you can understand, with a hostel as awesome as ours everyone wants to stay, so we attract a very varied crowd from teenagers right through to small families! We hope to see you again at Generator London soon! #genlove Best Wishes Nate – Guest Relations Team

You just need one rock n roll night per week!

I feel I could not fault my experience at Generator and will be looking to rebook again when I bring my grandchildren to England for their first ever overseas experience. My only concern related to efforts to obtain change for both the laundry and luggage storage facilities. I inquired at reception, they directed me to the Travel Shop, who also couldn't help with change. The bar wouldn't give cash out using a travel card. Nobody told me a cash machine existed on the premises. Didn't see signage

Hello Generator Lover! I’m thrilled to hear that you had a good experience with us at Generator London! I know sometimes the change situation can be a bit frustrating and I offer my sincerest apologies for any miscommunication on our part. Hope you got it all sorted in the end, and of course we would love to see you again with your grandchildren. Take care and best Wishes Nate – Guest Relations Team

I really enjoyed this hostel! Right across the street from Kings Cross Station placed this hostel in an excellent location. However, I rarely had to use the subway as it did not take me more than 30 minutes to walk to the biggest destinations. The be inside the hostel was great and I in general loved the atmosphere. The only thing that stopped me from giving a perfect score was the really bad toilet seat covers. Only one of them were new, the rest were cracked and disgusting.

Howdy! Its fantastic to hear that you enjoyed the hostel and its facilities. I will most definitely pass on your feedback about toilet seas to our maintenance team, and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. We hope to see you again when your back in London! Best Wishes Nate – Guest Relations Team

Great facilities, staff wasn't welcoming, helpful or friendly aside from one or two guys that were awesome.

• 7th May 2014

8.479845684365/10, would stay there again :)

I really love they have security from the alley way I walk in. The wifi signal is really good. It's a big hostel so the cleanliness wouldn't be spot on but I think it can still be improved. My only disappointment was that I booked for a bed in 4 beds mixed dorm but they assigned me to 8 beds mix dorm. I have to go back to the reception and ask for it. When I went back, the staff was going to assign me to 6 beds, I said I will take it, but I won't be happy then they gave me a bed in 4 beds.

Hey there, Overall it sounds like you had a great stay and of course we would love to see you again soon! My apologies for the booking engine mix up regards to your rooming, but I’m pleased to here you got it all sorted in the end. Thanks for choosing Generator London #genlove Best Wishes Nate – Guest Relations Team