Generator Hostel London Reviews

Compton Place, Off 37 Tavistock Place, WC1, London, England

The Generator is a really nice hostel. Very clean, up to date and comfortable. The only issues we had were the set up and space in the 12 bed female dorms. Also the security is EXTREME. No front door access after 7pm with security guards everywhere! My friend forgot her keycard in the room and they asked her a million questions and were very rude to her about making an honest mistake. Otherwise, the stay we had was great.

Hey there, Thank you for your thoughts after your stay with us. It's always great to get feedback from our guests. I'm sorry you felt the security was perhaps a little overwhelming, but I'm sure you can appreciate with over 800+ people in the building the safety and comfort of everyone is a number one priority. I do hope we see you again, and hope you have a great summer! Best Wishes Nate - Guest Relations Executive

Pros: Common amenities are great — restaurant has good food for cheap, nice lounging areas and perks like laundry, storage lockers, ATM, etc. Wifi in entire hostel. Cons: 5th floor was sweltering in low 80s/high 70s. We politely requested a fan several times and never got it. We booked months ahead but were stuck on top floor, far from bathrooms. Ladies bathroom toilets broke daily but fixed quickly. 3 of 4 showers ice or fire hot. Only four plugs in a four-bed room. Mattresses uncomfortable.

• 26th Jul 2014

We stayed here during the summer time

no conditioning in a room, impossible to breathe, staff didn't react to our requests to give us a fan or repair ventilator; only hot water in the shower, wasn't possible to take a shower;

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Latvia

I stayed at the generator last year before the renovations, and stayed in quite a large room. This year, the new room I stayed in was so cramped that I could barely move, which was a big disappointment. The chillout room with cushions and power outlets downstairs was excellent. The staff were very friendly, helping me organise a couple of tours I wanted to do. Decent atmosphere in the bar. Showers were either too cold or too hot, but the bathrooms were good otherwise.

The staff were not very friendly. The room was very small and no one came to clean it during the 7 days I was there.

Its been a fantastic experience. Truly nice place.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Argentina

I really liked the layout of the hostel and the surrounding area. I enjoyed the amenities (bar, cafe, etc.) and really liked the atmosphere of the hostel overall.

One of the most dirty hostels I've stayed at. bathrooms were putrid. no chargers next to the beds and dirty rooms. nothing was clean and reception staff dismissive. im glad I moved after one night.

This is probably one of the best hostels I have ever been to. They had high standard on security with several guards walking about. I booked a room for two using hostelworld.com and it turned out we got a room with bunk beds. Travelling with my girlfriend I would rather have a ordinary double bed. They had rooms with double beds but none of these where available. The entire first floor had a bar, café, tv room++ and where a nice place to spend the evenings or have a drink or a meal.

Well, I rated security high. Because it's practically a police state. Laughing with your bunkmates at 9:30 pm? You'll get a knock on the door and get told off by a weird security guard. Do you like poop filled toilets? Well, then you're in luck because every day the all the toilets on our floor were clogged. Every day. More than once a day. Do you like sweating in your sleep? It's super hot and there's no air-conditioning. Oh, and the windows only open about two inches. Do not go here.

• 10th Jul 2014

Very pleased with my stay here, however the hot water was very tempermental at times, perhaps my bad luck, especially when it was cold outside at night/morning. Otherwise its a great place to stay

The atmosphere is wonderful. The first night I stayed in an all girl 12 dorm and it was not clean. It smelled of mold and the walls started leaking. I moved rooms to the top floor to a 10 bed mixed dorm and that was very clean.

The security staff were very friendly. Shame the staff otherwise were very unwelcoming. This place is for 16-18 year olds to party with the rules of - rule no 1- have fun. It is not a place for any other travellers. It is like a factory for warehousing backpackers. There was little atmosphere other than bright lights and lots of noise.

If you like living with over protective parents that constantly hover over you, go ahead and stay here. And it's not even a good deal. Generator tried to make a nice environment in which to hang out, but instead they succeeded in creating a over commericalized hostel where everything costs money. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan.

• 8th Jul 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Generator. The room was comfortable however I do not believe they had a/c. Lots of cool people staying there and the staff was pretty helpful - I misplaced an item and several people helped locate it. In a good area and semi-close to the Underground. My only gripe was the bathroom situation... One mens room on the entire floor - Not a big deal but 2 toilets is not enough when everyone has been chugging beer all night...

Generator is a very good hostel in London!

Staff very unhelpful and the hostel has no great atmospher

A drunk stranger apear in my room in the mid of the night (4:30 and again 5:30), i had to call security. They were fast in remove the guy but didn't offer me any compesation for the hassle. I paid 43 pounds for this night, i was expecting a good rest. Staff don't orient guests how to behave inside the rooms. They should enforce rules of silance inside the rooms and punish the ones that dont compliance.

1. IT WAS THE ONLY PLACE IN ALL LONDON WHERE I COULD NOT USE MY DEBIT AND CREDIT CARDS . 2. DIRTY TOILETS. 3. THERE WAS NOT HOT WATER IN ALL THE SHOWERS.

• 5th Jul 2014