Generator Hostel London Reviews

Compton Place, Off 37 Tavistock Place, WC1, London, England

The Generator has a very commercialized atmosphere. They do not have a computer area service. The facilities are clean.

• 30th Apr 2014

Friendly staff, nice neighborhood , centrally located. Only downside and this is no fault of theirs is that most generator are factory hostels , extremely big with a lack of personality and character. But they know they are big and for a big hostels that do very well are efficient friendly and clean, with a great location. Make sure you don't get in too late because the tube might not be running to there station anymore.

I really love everything about the hostel, except the part that it doesn't have a kitchen. Overall, I would highly recommend this hostel!

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Indonesia

Well don't spread the word because it will overcrowd it : it's the greatest place en earth :) Giving names to floors like Dr Who ? Brilliant. Pub, Drinks, Lounge, Nachos... loved it !

All in all great hostel, great location, nice and modern hostel, nice people, great bar, ... However, there's no kitchen or even hot water to prepare coffee or tea so be prepared to spend more money on food and drinks.

The room, bathroom and common area were so dirty that was imposible to use the toilet of the 5th floor. We also met with a little rat on the lounge and the staff said that couldnt do anything about it

In general, I appreciated the hostel, it could have been perfect but there were some flaws. In the room there were NO hooks, which was very uncomfortable since I was forced to put my coat on the bed or on my suitcase, Nor there was a locker for my goods, so I had to try my luck with my roommates. As for the showers: first, there were no shelves inside, so I was forced to leave my shampoo bottle on the ground; second, there was no door, just a curtain.

Would definitely stay here again.

Very friendly security dude on the door. 22nd april

• 21st Apr 2014

Everything was great, the staff is awesome, they are always helpful and friendly. There is a great social area where people can get to know eachother and the bar is just great. They should include the breakfast, but if you don't want to pay it there is a store just around the corner. I already recommended this hostel to a friend and she loved it too.

The first night was lovely , the second night was nearly a nightmare.. With two drunk guys in my bedroom..please be more careful with people who take alcohol inside the hostel... If they have their own room ok, but if they share the room with 6, 8 or 10 more persons is not fine.. They can spoil the sleep of everybody.

• 20th Apr 2014

The Generator was a past favourite of mine but its changed unfortunately. Whilst it's now more visually appealing much of the character has been lost. Gone is the raucous bar w. theme nights such as twister/ hardman comp - replaced by a smaller bar with no backpaker vibe. Staff are generally disinterested but with a hostel with 900 beds its hard to expect personal service. No towel is provided, bathrooms are generally dirty but if you check out different levels its possible to find better ones.

What a strange place. I didn't even leave the hostel for the first 24 hours. (Admittedly, this was at the end of my trip) It's a huge place (800 beds!) but it has everything you need in one building. It's clean, there's good wifi, and plenty of outlets on the ground floor. Would stay here again!

Nothing fancy, but the location is pretty great if you're planning on doing touristy things/hanging around central. Room was minuscule -- door couldn't even open all the way without hitting a bunk bed. Bathrooms weren't that great -- toilets were clogged every evening and the showers didn't have shelves for shampoo or anywhere to put your stuff (hooks outside the stall, but only so much can hang off two small hooks!). Need to pay for luggage storage, which is lame.

Communal showers weren't the best but other then that nothing to complain about. Love the lockers you get at the generator. Was a club there with a lot of noise so if you want to party this is the place.

Thank you for a Nice stay. Maybe you could place at lamp at the beds There was too much queue at breakfast. It took over Half and hour Every Day. :-) Me and my 2 travelbuddies loved the Generator hostel.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • Denmark

we loved staying at the hostel, spotlessly clean , friendly helpful staff , polite and cheerful we stayed there for the London marathon this time and on the 2010 marathon weekend , we stayed at a premier in for the 2012 marathon weekend and it wasn't a patch on the hostel thank the staff for fab weekend, also the meals we had there were lovely we ate in the hostel every evening delicious thank you

• 11th Apr 2014
  • Wales

The breakfast service was quite slow and could have been better organised. My friend wasn't keen on the cold porridge!! The beds were really comfy and the room and facilities fine. Great location and good price for the room. Maybe explain at reception on arrival that the entrance arrangements change at 10pm as we got back when they were changing over and it was quite confusing, we didn't know what was going on.

• 7th Apr 2014

Room/bed and common room were good, location is fairly good once you're there. Staff were horrendous though, I thought it was just the one person, but the second and third staff members I dealt with (one to ask a question and one at checkout) were either rude or clueless. Also the first place I've seen in years that makes you pay for lockers to store luggage after checkout. Showers are not well set-up and toilets disgusting. Would not recommend.

Huge hostel where you can stay for a short vacation... Security is good (guards everywhere!), facilities all right and its clean. But quite a lot of school classes stayed there as well. Altogether all right, but too big for atmosphere

• 4th Apr 2014