Generator Hostel Prenzlauer Berg Reviews

Storkowerstrasse 160 (Off Landsberger Allee), Berlin, Germany

Let's just say that this is a motel with bunk beds. The beds were clean which was great but everything else was sub-par. The toilet smelt like pee all the time, the walls were so thin the slightest sound from the corridor can be heard in the room and the staff was not helpful. Check out time is at 10am but this was not mentioned to us when we checked in. Everything in this hostel shouts 'we want you to have fun' but 'don't bring your own food'. Overall a very disappointing experience.

Location is in the middle of nowhere. The bathrooms were disgusting. The men's room reeked of stale urine. WiFi was slow and didn't work in the rooms. The bunk bed in the dorm was flimsy felt like it was about to topple over.

We got in late off the train from Amsterdam and just needed a place to crash. We paid €19 so were happy enough. The rooms are decent with lockable lockers (bring a padlock). However the WiFi doesn't reach the rooms which is a huge bummer. Furthermore, this place is HUGE. Bear in mind that it might not be too easy to meet new people! The showers were sub-par. The location isn't really close to anywhere notable, you'll need to tram to it from Berlin Hbf (central station).

Staff told me I have to wait15mins more for chick in, but I saw some people chick in already...it's not enough staffs in front.

I really did not enjoy the location or the atmoshpere. The showers did not exactly offer much privacy. Just a curtain that does not stay closed. If you shower here, people will see you naked. The hostel was completely filled with drunk 15 and 16 year olds who went around the halls pounding on peoples doors.

Rooms were big and comfortable, showers unbearable either freezing or boiling. Wifi only worked on ground floor. Overall atmosphere was good lots of people in beer garden drinking.

This place is unreal. We checked in and were told we couldn't room together but would see if they could shuffle some other bookings around and got it done in the end. Saturday was a all you can eat BBQ for a few €. The bar out the back had cheap beers and the night club was priced really well also. Great atmosphere for meeting people. Only downside was the breakfast which was super average for what you pay but there are cheap eats around the corner. Would definitely stay again if in Berlin!!

It's very close to the metro station. The 8-bed female dorm room I was staying in was quite big. There are lockers, and you need to bring your own padlock. There are also smaller lockers for hire - for keeping your passport and money in. My room was on the 7th floor and it was incredibly hot, so we kept the windows open all night, but the outside of the hostel was really loud, so it wasn't the best situation. The bathrooms are always clean. Oh and the lift - it's the slowest I've ever seen.

• 17th Jul 2015
  • Slovenia

I missed a kitchen for the use of the guests, which I found is usual in Hostels throughout the world. Lowest point though was the incredibly dirty toilets and shower facilities. On the other hand, rooms are very spaceful and ok.

found most staff a little rude. toilets were disgusting. even when freshly cleaned, smelled like they were mopped with toilet water. rooms very hot.

Clean, secure, conveniently located, and wifi works well in common areas. But it's more like a massive budget hotel than a hostel and attracts huge groups, so although the bar/lounge/biergarten are nice, the atmosphere sucks if traveling alone or with a friend (unless you like being surrounded by hordes of bros and sorority types on their way to the latest EDM festival). Also they hike up prices based on occupancy, so I had to leave when my $20 bed went up to $40 overnight. Decent though.

I had high expectations for the facilities of this Generator Hostel due to having stayed in the Paris location, but this one isn't quite as nice. There wasn't a bathroom in my room, and the closest one was a bit of a walk all the way down the hall. There weren't electrical/USB outlets on the bunks that I remembered at the Paris location, so that was a bit of a bummer. The WIFI only worked down in the lobby. The staff was incredibly kind and helpful though, they were happy to help with whatever.

• 11th Jul 2015

This is an ok place if you are a young partier. Only wifi in the lobby where there's a very loud & obnoxious basketball arcade game blasting almost constantly. Tons of student groups coming through. Ensuite bathrooms are like ones in airplanes with a very tiny shower. Lockers were expensive & one was broken, almost locking our stuff inside. Kitchen was closed off most of the time so you couldn't get coffee or water. Pluses: friendly enough staff, hostel close to U-Bahn. Felt like college dorms.

Very out of the way of the city centre, got fined by public transport just finding my way there. Reception staff are friendly but bar staff not so great - quite lazy, refused to take my plate to the kitchen after Id had dinner so had to take it myself, and vibe wasn't the best either just a bit childish and young but still very very very loud. Wifi doesn't reach room and overall was pretty disappointed, but clean and good facilities and cheap and ok to access on trains.

Very nice in terms of facilities but not much of an as big and far out from the centre of Berlin and any restaurants /bars

• 8th Jul 2015

Hello. Thank you so much for your great review. We are happy that you liked your stay at Generator Prenzlauer Berg so much and hope to see you again really soon. Take care and best regards.

Wifi basically non existent, bathroom small and dirty, no good vibe and the staff are basically rude, good location though

Hello. Thanks a lot for taking time to write us a feedback. I'm sorry that you did not feel well with us. We hope that we get another chance to convince you of the benefits of Generator. Best regards. - Front Office Supervisor

Bedrooms are like a sauna but other than that it was great

The rooms were disgusting as were the bathrooms, the dryer was broken so I was stuck with wet clothes. Overall did not enjoy my stay here - wish I wouldn't have wasted money. Location is terrible as well

To be honest, you get what you pay for here. Unfortunately we came while all thier systems were down and a heat wave was in full swing. No airconditioning, the windows only open maybe 10 centimeters also, the wifi only works in the lobby so if you want to relax and text your friends, don't look to forward to it. Last but not least it is extremely loud at night, they have their own bar that blasts music till the early AM. I would definitely not stay here again.

Hello. Thanks a lot for taking time to write us a feedback. I'm sorry that you did not feel well with us. We hope that we get another chance to convince you of the benefits of Generator. Best regards, Front Office Supervisor

it is really the best hostel at been staid! I hope I could go to this hostel in London and Dublin!

• 1st Jul 2015
  • Argentina

Hello. Thanks for taking your time to give a short feedback about your stay in Generator Berlin Prenzlauer Berg. We are really glad to read that you enjoyed it that much and hope to see you again as soon as possible. Regards. Ronny Spilka. Front Office Supervisor