Ghandi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

15 Doris Street, Kensington, Johannesburg, South Africa

I liked this place. The kitchen was amazing. Only thing I miss out was wifi and lockers in the room. It was lack of people staying there, but as I leaved early in the morning it didn't matter that much. The pool and bar was cool.

The Ghandi Hostel was an excellent choice for us. We were picked up at the airport by Chris who was friendly and helpful. The hostel provided a breakfast of cereal and coffee or tea but has a beautiful kitchen which allows guests to cook what they wish. There is a small grocery store within easy walking distance. We loved the atmosphere--relaxed with ambiance. They booked a tour of Soweto for us which was excellent. They gave tips on sites to see in Johannesburg and how to get to them.

Very close to supermarket but hard to find a restaurant nearby.

Clean, quiet, atmosphere. Kitchen was fully stocked and fully capable of cooking big meals. Rooms were clean and tidy. The pool and pool table were a huge bonus. Plenty of room to roam free. But lacking the attendance I thought this place would have. No one around, but I guess thats the holidays for ya! Also, no wifi, but they did have paid internet kiosk. Would I recommend? Absolutely

This is an old school backpackers - basic, simple, relaxed. This may not suit all travellers, however Ghandi's is a more than appropriate for a rest point in JHB. Guests have free reign of the kitchen facilities, free airport shuttle, Internet is available at a cost (no wifi), laundry services available and plenty of travel advice available inside. While the surrounding areas don't feel completely safe (like much of Joburg), a short taxi ride will get you around the place.

For the 3 days I was at Ghandi Backpackers, we had no running water. That sucked. No wifi. Heinz was nice, but the rest of the staff was pretty worthless for info. 90-130 Rand per way for a taxi ride from the hostel to the CBD. Free airport pickup/dropoff was nice.

I had a very good time in Ghandi Backpackers Lodge, very nice room and accomodation. I will recommanded it.

• 4th Nov 2013