Ghandi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

15 Doris Street, Kensington, Johannesburg, South Africa

Nicest hostel I have ever stayed in

• 29th Nov 2014

We had a lovely double room with an en suite bathroom and a balcony. The room was clean and spacious, and the bed was big and comfy. Heinz organised airport pick up and drop off for us, and gave us tips of where to eat out. We didn't use the pool or bar, but they looked nice. The breakfast was basic but did the job. I didn't really like the area, but then I didn't really like Johannesburg as a place to stay.

It was a very nice place and we felt well from the beginning to the end.

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Switzerland

Disappointing. I booked seven nights, stayed just three. Best thing at GBL are the airport transfers. Breakfast is just corn flakes, milk, instant coffee. My room was never cleaned by a maid and rats could be heard skittering inside the walls. There was a dead rat lying just outside on Doris when I checked out. The WiFi sucked: slow and weak and does not reach rooms, only the bar/patio, and shut down from 23:00 to 08:00. There is plenty of 2nd hand smoke in the bar.

One of the best if not the best backpackers I've stayed at. Free pick up from the airport is awesome. The place had a lovely big kitchen and a pool, and a bar area. The wifi is really good, and free. The best part was that my flight wasn't til 10 at night, and even though I had checked out that morning they let me use the shower and the wifi that afternoon, while I waited to go to the airport. Highly recommend this place. Met cool people here as well.

Nice place in safe area, very helpful staff, close to the airport, rooms clean and tidy with everything you need. I would definitely stay there again!

Safe, clean, quiet, historical building with good maintanence. You may not find many people living there. You have to be proactive if you need help as the staff are quite cool.

Great stay at Ghandi's. Was a bit quiet, but was the off season. Pick up from airport very helpful! Thanks Chris for taking us where we needed to go. Heinz runs the place and does a great job!

Nice kitchen, FREE internet plus it was the fastest I've come across in SA so far, the hostel its self is beautiful and everything is uncomlicated. There were 2 dogs lounging around that were very sweet. the only thing I didn't like was the big birdcage but thats just me who thinks birds should be free to fly natural distances.

Good clean place, clean linen, hot water, free wifi, electric blanket, room heater, very economical with free airport pick-up, I was given en-suite double room for the price of single, nice gentlemean managing it, others were friendly too, free breakfast, cooking facilities if you want to

I really enjoyed my stay at Ghandi's. It was nice and quiet and the facilities were nice. The staff was friendly and ready to help, and I especially appreciated the free airport pick-up. My only complaint would be that the shower in the dorm is a little too open (opens directly into the dorm) and that the internet only works in the bar. However, if you are looking for a peaceful place to stay in Johannesburg, this is a good choice.

Overall excellent experience. Nothing to complain about.. Really.

• 1st Jul 2014

I liked this place. The kitchen was amazing. Only thing I miss out was wifi and lockers in the room. It was lack of people staying there, but as I leaved early in the morning it didn't matter that much. The pool and bar was cool.

The Ghandi Hostel was an excellent choice for us. We were picked up at the airport by Chris who was friendly and helpful. The hostel provided a breakfast of cereal and coffee or tea but has a beautiful kitchen which allows guests to cook what they wish. There is a small grocery store within easy walking distance. We loved the atmosphere--relaxed with ambiance. They booked a tour of Soweto for us which was excellent. They gave tips on sites to see in Johannesburg and how to get to them.

Very close to supermarket but hard to find a restaurant nearby.

Clean, quiet, atmosphere. Kitchen was fully stocked and fully capable of cooking big meals. Rooms were clean and tidy. The pool and pool table were a huge bonus. Plenty of room to roam free. But lacking the attendance I thought this place would have. No one around, but I guess thats the holidays for ya! Also, no wifi, but they did have paid internet kiosk. Would I recommend? Absolutely

This is an old school backpackers - basic, simple, relaxed. This may not suit all travellers, however Ghandi's is a more than appropriate for a rest point in JHB. Guests have free reign of the kitchen facilities, free airport shuttle, Internet is available at a cost (no wifi), laundry services available and plenty of travel advice available inside. While the surrounding areas don't feel completely safe (like much of Joburg), a short taxi ride will get you around the place.

For the 3 days I was at Ghandi Backpackers, we had no running water. That sucked. No wifi. Heinz was nice, but the rest of the staff was pretty worthless for info. 90-130 Rand per way for a taxi ride from the hostel to the CBD. Free airport pickup/dropoff was nice.

I had a very good time in Ghandi Backpackers Lodge, very nice room and accomodation. I will recommanded it.

• 4th Nov 2013
  • Switzerland

As a couple we do not have any kind of obstacles in staying at hostels (we just need a bed to rest, nothing else than that !). What interests us most is (and always will be) the hostel's overall rating, since it already encompasses staffs attention, hostel's location in relation to attractions , price, etc. . We always rely on users best tips. Gandhi did not accomplish in the majority of the questions ! The staff did not know how to give sightseeing tips, and we were almost unable to get around

• 4th Oct 2013