Ghandi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

15 Doris Street, Kensington, Johannesburg, South Africa

Ghandi's generally has a slightly older crowd. They have a good knowledge of local tours and activities and will shuttle you around Joburg for a very cheap price. The bar's decent and the most relaxed dog lives there in history (even I was fine with her and I don't like dogs). The hostel doesn't really organise group events for guests but will signpost you to whatever you need in town.

Its really nice to stay in a big house thats reformed into a hostel. The pick up service was also very cool, although we didnt know abt it on time. The light breakfast is a nice touch :) It is far from everything but okay from the park station or airport. It seems a hostel for transitters though... Everyone there seems to stay a short while.

I stayed there 3 days and although the hostel is located not exactly at the CBD the zone is quite good. Heinz is very helpful and so is Chris. The bar is awesome and breakfast is more than ok. It's a good value for money.

Very nice hostel. We had a spacious ensuite twin room. The kitchen seems to be very new and there is a free breakfast (bread and jam, milk and coffee).

Room was clean and secure. Free pickup from the airport was convenient. Staff were friendly and approachable. Free WiFi was great, but was only available in the bar and not in the bedroom. Also, the WiFi was turned off at night. The costs of additional services (airport drop off, shuttles to locations in the city) were not announced up front. We only found out about these extra charges upon checkout.

it is very quite so great if that's what you are after. I went to study so great for me. Chris will pick up from the airport which is great and reliable, if a bit pricy. To get in to town I used soft taxies R 10 and they take you into centre. Hop on hop off bus excellent and really friendly and fun. They will organise a safe taxi Back. To get a soft taxi just hail from side of the road and look out for minibuses. They are a squash but good fun and I felt perfectly safe. Jo berg felt much safer

• 27th Feb 2015

Wi-Fi is turned off after 9pm.

This a very nice and quiet hostel. The rooms are superb, very old colonial style with beautiful wooden floors. The kitchen is very well stocked with cooking equipment and is very clean. The staff are friendly and waited for us for a long time at the airport as there was a big queue in passport control and arranged a nice taxi for us when we needed to go out and they were not available. There is also a supermarket 5 minute walk away. We had a very nice two night stay here.

Very nice historical house! The dorms are nice and clean and with ensuite showers and toilets. Rooms are beautifully decorated, very spacious and probably best value for money if you are two or more. Facilities are good, the kitchen is very big and so is the courtyard with a pool - not sure it is really used though. The bar has a pool table and plenty to drink. Good service and quiet hostel. Only downside is the drop off which is more expensive than the dorm so not making sense for just a night

• 4th Jan 2015

Really nice place to stay, very cozy atmosphere and friendly owner

Nicest hostel I have ever stayed in

• 29th Nov 2014

We had a lovely double room with an en suite bathroom and a balcony. The room was clean and spacious, and the bed was big and comfy. Heinz organised airport pick up and drop off for us, and gave us tips of where to eat out. We didn't use the pool or bar, but they looked nice. The breakfast was basic but did the job. I didn't really like the area, but then I didn't really like Johannesburg as a place to stay.

It was a very nice place and we felt well from the beginning to the end.

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Switzerland

Disappointing. I booked seven nights, stayed just three. Best thing at GBL are the airport transfers. Breakfast is just corn flakes, milk, instant coffee. My room was never cleaned by a maid and rats could be heard skittering inside the walls. There was a dead rat lying just outside on Doris when I checked out. The WiFi sucked: slow and weak and does not reach rooms, only the bar/patio, and shut down from 23:00 to 08:00. There is plenty of 2nd hand smoke in the bar.

One of the best if not the best backpackers I've stayed at. Free pick up from the airport is awesome. The place had a lovely big kitchen and a pool, and a bar area. The wifi is really good, and free. The best part was that my flight wasn't til 10 at night, and even though I had checked out that morning they let me use the shower and the wifi that afternoon, while I waited to go to the airport. Highly recommend this place. Met cool people here as well.

Nice place in safe area, very helpful staff, close to the airport, rooms clean and tidy with everything you need. I would definitely stay there again!

Safe, clean, quiet, historical building with good maintanence. You may not find many people living there. You have to be proactive if you need help as the staff are quite cool.

Great stay at Ghandi's. Was a bit quiet, but was the off season. Pick up from airport very helpful! Thanks Chris for taking us where we needed to go. Heinz runs the place and does a great job!

Nice kitchen, FREE internet plus it was the fastest I've come across in SA so far, the hostel its self is beautiful and everything is uncomlicated. There were 2 dogs lounging around that were very sweet. the only thing I didn't like was the big birdcage but thats just me who thinks birds should be free to fly natural distances.

Good clean place, clean linen, hot water, free wifi, electric blanket, room heater, very economical with free airport pick-up, I was given en-suite double room for the price of single, nice gentlemean managing it, others were friendly too, free breakfast, cooking facilities if you want to

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6