Ghandi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

15 Doris Street, Kensington, Johannesburg, South Africa

Nice kitchen, FREE internet plus it was the fastest I've come across in SA so far, the hostel its self is beautiful and everything is uncomlicated. There were 2 dogs lounging around that were very sweet. the only thing I didn't like was the big birdcage but thats just me who thinks birds should be free to fly natural distances.

• 29th Jul 2014

Good clean place, clean linen, hot water, free wifi, electric blanket, room heater, very economical with free airport pick-up, I was given en-suite double room for the price of single, nice gentlemean managing it, others were friendly too, free breakfast, cooking facilities if you want to

I really enjoyed my stay at Ghandi's. It was nice and quiet and the facilities were nice. The staff was friendly and ready to help, and I especially appreciated the free airport pick-up. My only complaint would be that the shower in the dorm is a little too open (opens directly into the dorm) and that the internet only works in the bar. However, if you are looking for a peaceful place to stay in Johannesburg, this is a good choice.

Overall excellent experience. Nothing to complain about.. Really.

• 1st Jul 2014

I liked this place. The kitchen was amazing. Only thing I miss out was wifi and lockers in the room. It was lack of people staying there, but as I leaved early in the morning it didn't matter that much. The pool and bar was cool.

The Ghandi Hostel was an excellent choice for us. We were picked up at the airport by Chris who was friendly and helpful. The hostel provided a breakfast of cereal and coffee or tea but has a beautiful kitchen which allows guests to cook what they wish. There is a small grocery store within easy walking distance. We loved the atmosphere--relaxed with ambiance. They booked a tour of Soweto for us which was excellent. They gave tips on sites to see in Johannesburg and how to get to them.

Very close to supermarket but hard to find a restaurant nearby.

Clean, quiet, atmosphere. Kitchen was fully stocked and fully capable of cooking big meals. Rooms were clean and tidy. The pool and pool table were a huge bonus. Plenty of room to roam free. But lacking the attendance I thought this place would have. No one around, but I guess thats the holidays for ya! Also, no wifi, but they did have paid internet kiosk. Would I recommend? Absolutely

This is an old school backpackers - basic, simple, relaxed. This may not suit all travellers, however Ghandi's is a more than appropriate for a rest point in JHB. Guests have free reign of the kitchen facilities, free airport shuttle, Internet is available at a cost (no wifi), laundry services available and plenty of travel advice available inside. While the surrounding areas don't feel completely safe (like much of Joburg), a short taxi ride will get you around the place.

For the 3 days I was at Ghandi Backpackers, we had no running water. That sucked. No wifi. Heinz was nice, but the rest of the staff was pretty worthless for info. 90-130 Rand per way for a taxi ride from the hostel to the CBD. Free airport pickup/dropoff was nice.

I had a very good time in Ghandi Backpackers Lodge, very nice room and accomodation. I will recommanded it.

• 4th Nov 2013
  • Switzerland

As a couple we do not have any kind of obstacles in staying at hostels (we just need a bed to rest, nothing else than that !). What interests us most is (and always will be) the hostel's overall rating, since it already encompasses staffs attention, hostel's location in relation to attractions , price, etc. . We always rely on users best tips. Gandhi did not accomplish in the majority of the questions ! The staff did not know how to give sightseeing tips, and we were almost unable to get around

• 4th Oct 2013

I would like to say thank you to the hostel crew: Heinz, Chris and other, women that were helping with cleaning that names I forgot. Besides very good hosting of me and my father, they helped me with finding another good hostel to stay. That was a good time spent in this backpackers during our stay in Joburg. Thanks again.

I stayed at the hostel for 3 nights and I enjoyed it. I didnt spend too much time at the hostel itself, because I was out in town. But I was satisfied with the hostel. The beds were comfortable and the staff was really nice. There is a computer you can use and as far as I can remember it costs about20-30 rand (almost 2- 3 euro) an hour. They also have a nice pool that looked really clean. Of course I didnt use it, since it was too cold ;). Pick up from airport/bus station is for free.

• 11th Sep 2013

The sudden very cold weather made my stay there less enjoyable than I expected, otherwise my opinion would have been more enthusiastic. Nice place, clean, hospitable.

• 30th Aug 2013
  • Poland

+Room was huge and with a lot of character. - internet available only in the bar

Had a good stay

• 18th Jul 2013

Most beautiful hostel I've ever been in! Excellent staff, amazing double room, very cosy common area. I've traveled a lot, never seen something like this.

Really nice hostel which will be perfect when they'll have wifi

Great place to stay!