Gilligan's Backpacker Hotel & Resort Cairns Reviews

57 - 89 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

We´ve had a pretty good Price for that really good hostel. The location was so good acnd the stuff, the rooms, the cleanliness and everything was very nice! You´ll get a beer for free if you buy a meal - Good deal! I was happy and my to two travelmates were the same.

We had a lovely stay. Was a little slow to get served but Josh was a champion. Room was very clean, good temperature and good quality bunks. Lady at the travel desk was very helpful. The nightclub is pretty good and you can't hear any noise from it in the rooms. $5 a day for bag storage is a bit steep for backpackers.

Horrible. The place is set up like a resort but without the customer service or luxury of one. The room was very messy (only one clean bed set up for 2 of us), lockers were tiny, kitchen locked at 10pm, and staff was incredibly rude. To top it off, one guy brought a girl back to the room at 3am and I had to hear them getting at it. When I complained to staff they were unsympathetic and charged a $5 room transfer fee and said they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again. Would NOT recommend!

Great location, good facilities for example the bar with the cheap/free meal, good drink prices. However the staff needs to have some training on being friendly, there was one girl in particular, where we asked to book the courtesy bus, who said go over to that table and book it. Where we waited for 10mins waiting for a person to serve us, whilst she just stood there and chattered to her friend.another colleague. Pretty annoying.

Great party hostel with very good rooms

• 4th Sep 2014

This is a good hostel the only thing I can really complain about is house keeping, a gang of them come in and raid the room every morning and regardless of weather you are sleeping or not make a lot of noise, they also would collect dirty bowls, plates, cutlery and cups from the dorms during the morning raids and just dump them in the kitchen until the kitchen closed at 10pm, causing local birds to be attracted in to the kitchen.

• 29th Aug 2014

Excellent hostel, even if you're not a party person this hostel is still a good choice (try and get a room on the top floor though). That being said, I was hoping that the WiFi connection would have been better in the rooms, something I was sort of expecting from such a modern and well equiped hostel. Also the meals, although good value for money, are average at best.

Gilligans is a great spot with excellent faciliaties and the deals for backpackers are great! Good location and friendly staff and very clean. Wifi didn't work our room but only minor comment!

• 24th Aug 2014

Great to have lockers in the rooms.....many in Australia do not offer that. Also the balcony was great...kitchens better than great..pool and live music/bar/food exceptional. 61yr female traveling alone appreciates all that you offer.

A really good hostel, which is actually more like a resort, it's huge. Very clean, wifi is cheap, you can party if you want to Party and if you don't it's quiet enough to sleep and no one pressures you to go out. Good local and staff really good, kitchen great and the deals they have on for drinks and food are brill. Even for a non drinker! Up there for the best hostel I've stayed in

Big noises hostel, very sociable, met some great people ... Wish I could have stayed longer! If you want somewhere quiet don't come here, but good if you are up for drinking and socialising! Very helpful tour desk too!

Great hostel. More like a hotel. The night club is amazing - all those wanting to book remember it is the biggest party hostel in Cairns. Ten minute walk away from the lagoon and minutes from all the shops. Staff could have been friendlier but I suppose if I was always dealing with drunk backpackers I'd be rather miserable too. Worth a stay.

Stayed in hostels all over the world. One of the best ever I've stayed in.

Excellent party hostel. Stayed for four nights had an amazing time. Great hostel!!

Good location when it comes to bars and clubs. Don't be fooled. To experience real beaches you need to get out of the city but this hostel has a poolside next to the bar that offers food and drinks. This is one of the cleaner hostels I've been to which is good. Overall it's a pretty good hostel if you like to party. My negative would be the service. A couple of people were full on rude and not at all helpful. It also wouldn't kill them to put a smile on every once in a while.

It's a great hostel to stay at. People bare in mind that this is a party hostel. You will not sleep and will have to party if you stay here. I found that out the first night I was there haha

Loved my stay at Gilligans. Was like a home away from home. Facilities were brilliant cleanest hostel I've stayed in. Pure luxury compared to some. At $25 a night definitely value for money. Met some amazing people here who are lifelong friends. Cannot recommend it enough. BRILLIANT!!

• 15th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

Best hostel I've ever stayed in - clean, fun, convenient! It really is like a resort, the pool is awesome

A really, really good sociable hostel. Good location with a short walk into the centre of town, Woolworths and to the lagoon. Staff were friendly and attentive to any problems. Great atmosphere amongst backpackers, with the bar and the nightclub making it easy to meet people. Kitchen was occasionally messy but they had staff who would clean it once a day. Security would commonly come to rooms if loud and take alcohol, but we had no issues and were allowed to keep it if quiet.

This is a really great hostel if you are planning on staying in Cairns. They offer free dinner every night with purchase of a drink. The only con was our room was close to the club downstairs and it got loud sometimes but you should always expect that with hostels. Thanks! :D