Gilligan's Backpacker Hotel & Resort Cairns Reviews

57 - 89 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

Excellent party hostel. Stayed for four nights had an amazing time. Great hostel!!

It's a great hostel to stay at. People bare in mind that this is a party hostel. You will not sleep and will have to party if you stay here. I found that out the first night I was there haha

Loved my stay at Gilligans. Was like a home away from home. Facilities were brilliant cleanest hostel I've stayed in. Pure luxury compared to some. At $25 a night definitely value for money. Met some amazing people here who are lifelong friends. Cannot recommend it enough. BRILLIANT!!

• 15th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

Best hostel I've ever stayed in - clean, fun, convenient! It really is like a resort, the pool is awesome

A really, really good sociable hostel. Good location with a short walk into the centre of town, Woolworths and to the lagoon. Staff were friendly and attentive to any problems. Great atmosphere amongst backpackers, with the bar and the nightclub making it easy to meet people. Kitchen was occasionally messy but they had staff who would clean it once a day. Security would commonly come to rooms if loud and take alcohol, but we had no issues and were allowed to keep it if quiet.

This is a really great hostel if you are planning on staying in Cairns. They offer free dinner every night with purchase of a drink. The only con was our room was close to the club downstairs and it got loud sometimes but you should always expect that with hostels. Thanks! :D

Great party hostel. Stayed in both a 4 bed and then moved to an 8 bed - four bed was nice on a very quiet floor and quite relaxing. 8 bed was on the second floor which was considerably louder and the music of the bar could be made out, but barely. If you are concerned about noise and party atmosphere consider a smaller dorm room. Both rooms were clean and spacious with their own bathrooms. I would definitely recommend Cairns and Gilligans to younger backpackers looking for a good time.

this was a really nice hostel. Great options to keep you entertained while staying there and lots of activities to do. I love this place.

Very nice hostel, better than some hotels I've stayed in. Not the easiest place to make friends, I relied on friends I'd made further down the coast to keep me company. But overall it's nice enough and it isn't too bad to sleep considering it is above a club (I was on 2nd floor and I slept fine)

Gilligans is nicely located in the centre of Carins, beside Rusty's market and a short stroll to Coles or Woolworths and the Lagoon. There is a big bar/nightclub downstairs but I couldn't hear this from my room. There are cheap meal & drink offers in the bar which is nice for backpackers on a budget. The rooms are nice with most having a balcony area and separate shower/toliet/sink areas. Storage lockers in the rooms would be a nice to have but there are only small lockers available.

This is a party hostel. Very young crowd. If you are looking to sleep go somewhere else.

Had a very fun stay, the staff were friendly and the people we met in our room were really friendly and good Fun!! The food deal in the evening was a good idea apart from it would have been nice to have a normal sized portion! Would deffinatly go back!!

I loved my stay at Gilligans. The location is awesome, you can easily book tours next door, they have a 'buy a drink, get a meal for free' thing going on . Its more a hotel with key cards and housekeeping then a hostel. Go there!

It was good, but if you are alone it's not a good backpacker to find friend! There a lot of other backpacker more friendly! If you are in group, it's a good place to party

• 4th May 2014

Best hostel if you are looking for luxurious and clean stay..Very friendly staff especially Kimberly and megan make you feel welcome and ready to party.. A bit expensive than other hostels but the facilities and cleanliness are worth it.

I felt that because this hostel had won so many awards, the staff lacked in general helpfulness. I checked in and wasnt told where my room was and there where no room number pointers. A quick 'into the lift and turn right on the third floor would have been nice. Other that that, amazing hostel. Loads to do and very clean with kitchens and lounges on every floor. Having A bathroom and shower in each dorm was good too

The rooms were great, but very loud in the early hours due to the bar. The $3 meals were a great part. Only negative would be the bar staff were quite miserable and sometimes rude. Great pool!!

Very good party hostel!! Stay in the 8 bed dorm if you want to be up every night until 5am (2nd floor) - stay on the third floor if you want to have some quiet but also a good party! Reception is pretty good if you have a complaint. Beautiful facilities and bar - great location!! Will definitely come back :) No better place to stay as a backpacker in Cairns!

This hostel was amazing! Felt like you were at a hotel. The price was super cheap for what you get. The pool was a great feature super nice and a good place to just chill out for the day. A kitchen and lounge on each floor made for little crowding. Also they had an amazing supper deal where you would pay 3 dollars for a pop and get a home cooked meal! Or pay another 3 dollars to supersize it. Staff was really friendly and there are nice places to hang our while waiting for check in. Goodlocation

• 24th Apr 2014

The hostel staff ruin this place. They seem uninterested in guests and appear to be quite snooty the majority of the time. Check in is at 2Pm and the queue to actually get checked in is at least an hour long. I think that's quite cheeky considering the fact they have a ridiculous 10am check out policy. The actual hostel is incredibly Cringey - jelly wrestling and the likes. I've stayed at party hostels throughout Oz and SE Asia but this one was just too much.