Gilligan's Backpacker Hotel & Resort Cairns Reviews

57 - 89 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

Had an awesome experience staying at Gilligan's. Can be a bit noisy at night if you're trying to sleep but for the price you can't complain too much. If a quiet night's sleep is what you're after request a room on one of the higher floors. The meal deal in the hostel bar is very good value for money too. If you're travelling solo and looking to meet people here is the place to do it, everyone is incredibly friendly!

This place does not live up to the hype that people give it. The pub/nightclub was never full while I was there, the DJ's play the same music pretty much every night and most drinks are way too expensive. A lot of people end their trip here so already have their group of friends after travelling. Therefore it is really difficult to meet new people as everyone is already really clicky. The best thing about is place was the food which was really nice and very well priced! Overall, very average!

No complaints. I really enjoyed my stay and can only recommend it further!

Having an oven in the kitchen would make this a great hostel. And actually being allowed to drink in the hostel.

• 20th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

I was disappointed to find out that the free airport shuttle is only one way, and that it is $15 on the bus to return (cheaper if you travel in a group). But the food over at the pub was brilliant, the hostel was really clean and there was a great atmosphere. A staff member came knocking in our room door at 10ish inviting us downstairs to the nights event at 11. The staff was really good, shout out to Peter. All in all, awesome place to stay.

Not sure what all the hype is about. Greeted at 6am after a night greyhound with a grunt that we couldn't check in until 2, with no attempt to see if there were any beds free. He then grunted at us to put our bags in storage and 'hang around until check in'. We had to prompt him to tell us where we could wait and when asked if there was a toilet we were told there weren't any. Considering it's a party hostel the cleaners coming in at 10am banging around and talking amongst themselves isn't great

Really good hostel, location is great! And the night time deals are really good. Good place to meet people and if you're looking to party!

Such a mint place to stay!! A party hostel for sure. Clean dorms, good bar below, big kitchens and hot water!

If you haven't stayed at Gilligan's, you haven't done cairns. Totally awesome place! I stayed there for almost a week and can't imagine any better place. Gilligan's have a great location. Walking distance to everything. shops, the lagoon, Woolworth and bars. To the best bar you don't even have to walk. It's in the hostel!! The bar have always some special offers for the day. My favorite: buy a drink, get a free meal! And it's proper food! very clean, helpful and friendly staff. The best hostel!

lockers are very tiny. no outlets in rooms. quite dirty depending on roommates you get.

I've never given a hostel 100% until now. This is the best hostel I've ever stayed in and I've stayed in at least 30. Unbelievable atmosphere - best bar in Cairns and great location for the town and lagoon. Really clean large rooms and brilliant people to get to know. Possibly could've had more plug sockets in the room but I had an extension cable so wasn't an issue. Loved it! Highly recommend it and would certainly come back.

Hostel staff were efficient but not very warm and welcoming. It's good that they provide free bus pick up from Cairns airport. The outdoor pool and bar area is excellent for mingling with other guests and the food deals were very cheap (not great tasting but you get what you pay for). I would recommend this hostel for anyone travelling alone and looking for a place to socialise without stepping foot outside of the hostel complex. Although it's more expensive, it's worth it for the atmosphere

I was very pleased with my stay at Gilligans. We were in room 331 which was fortunately quiet. If you are not a party animal I would advise requesting a quieter area as one friend was in a room and was kept up by music. Modern bathroom, spacious room, very comfy beds and great kitchen and TV room. Wifi is also $2 for 24 hours of unlimited which was great! I would 100% stay here again and for a new hostel user that's very pleasing :)

• 22nd Jun 2015

I stayed for a week in this place, I got a room but apparently there was an overbooking, then I got a different one, no sleeping at night, every night till 6 or 7am making noise inside the dorm! this hostel is just a spring break place, they just simple want your money they dont care if you're comfortable, it's a huge hostel, so I wouldn't say staff are friendly, you just pay and get a key card that's all service next! You can have fun it's just DEPENDS ON who are you with

Great stay, right in the city + awesome nightlife.

Staff are often rude. Security guards are incredibly rude especially when alcohol is found in your room. You feel like you're on a school trip with teachers constantly checking on you. On the upside you meet a lot of awesome people willing to party and you're in a prime location!

Gilligan's was bomb. My favorite hostel in Australia. Their club is pretty good and there are great drink deals each night. The rooms are cleaned daily and the balcony is a great touch. Their staff is really nice and informative. I had a great time in Cairns because of my stay here!

• 29th May 2015

Told security was good however people were able to let themselves in using other people card so we ended up with more people than we should in the room

The staff is almost perfect, the only exception is the manager( JOSHUA) who was really rude sometimes. During the check-in after I sign the paper of It, and start to read it, he complain that I had already sign, so read it was worthless. I told him that I could find some error and rip the paper to ask a new check in. He answer saying, if you do it, you are going sleep on the street. So rude, however the others guys are amazing.

Nice hostel in a convenient location, easily accessible from the bus station. I only stayed for one night before taking a flight and I was happy with my choice. Does seem like a party hostel though, even on a Monday night people were out in the halls til 4 a.m.

• 25th May 2015