Gilligan's Backpacker Hotel & Resort Cairns Reviews

57 - 89 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

Just loved it ! Will go back there for sure !

Really good location and good clean dorms with a nice ensuite shower. Large clean kitchen with plenty of fridge space. Great if you want to go out every night but no good if you have to be up early for a trip or want an undisturbed nights sleep as it is a party hostel.

Must stay here!

Wet T-Shirt competition was a bit dodgy... Particularly as it featured some incredibly drunk 'just turned' 18 year olds girls. Left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth after an otherwise really incredible trip.

• 27th Nov 2014

Really fun hostel, incredible bar space that attracts people from all the other hostels as well.

Great place!

A great hostel in a great location. Free meals and great value bar and restaurant. It's party party if you want it to be but I had no trouble sleeping!

I had a Deluxe room and it was very nice. I don't know about the other rooms, but the pool and bar are very nice.

• 24th Nov 2014
  • Spain

The location is nice but the behaviour of the security guys is a joke. They came into our room late in the evening with their own entry cards and told us, there would be no inadequate behaviour this night. Nobody in the room was there the night(s) before, so we had no clue what they actually referred to. They were unfriendly and talked loudly in the room although they could clearly see, that some people were already sleeping. Treating customers this way is simply unacceptable!!

Good hostel, close to everything you need. All facilities are new and kept very clean. Had no problem with noise, although people I talked to did. Couple of mins walk to Woolies or the Lagoon and coach stop. No lockers in rooms but you can use their storage or pay a steep fee for big lockers on a timer. Whether your looking for a party hostel or a sleep inbetween tours, it does both jobs

Overall very clean and modern. Felt more like a hotel than a hostel. Personally I prefer hostels that actually feel like hostels.

Key card to get in/out of hostel/rooms. Toilet/shower/mirror is in the doom and shared by all 8 people. Very small free lockers in the room you need your own lock. They charge $10 for a larger locker. Its a large hostel lots of people in/out. Great location, near shops, pubs, lagoon, bus and rail and all your tours. There was a free bus from the airport brought us to the hostel. It will be loud especially on weekends. There is a bar/nightclub down stairs. Cheap meals available there.

Not impressed with this place and I don't know why everyone is going on about it. The staff are not the friendliest. You are asked for a 50AUSD credit card deposit 30AUSD key card deposit! Provided you share with 5 other people I don't know how they split the bill in case of any damage of their valuable property! The rooms are not bad but they don't even make your bed - they give you sheets - DIY If you are up for partying getting drunk etc. probably this is the place for you.

Staff not friendly, but the hostel is well located and facilities excelent, everything new. Has elevators, good for those with big luggages.

Very good hostel. Really well located and very safe. The room was really good, and even though parties were going on on the club/bar in front of the hostel, no noise at all inside the room.

A large hostel in the heart of Cairns, offering space for hundreds of guests. Has its own bar/club/pool area which is always busy and guarenteed to show you a good night. Great atmosphere outside in those areas however due to the size there is little atmosphere inside. In my stay i never saw anyone using the communal sofa areas on each floor meaning you have to go to the bar to meet people. I also had a 4-bunk dorm but no safety box or locker in the room to keep valuables safe. Good party hostel

We stayed in an 8 bed female dorm and there was only 5 plug sockets, so charging phones and using electrical equipment was a bit of a battle. Also the cleaners would just barge in without knocking. And they were often men. Luckily we were decent!

Best pool/bar area at a hostel I've ever seen.

Very long check in!

We´ve had a pretty good Price for that really good hostel. The location was so good acnd the stuff, the rooms, the cleanliness and everything was very nice! You´ll get a beer for free if you buy a meal - Good deal! I was happy and my to two travelmates were the same.