Gilligan's Backpacker Hotel & Resort Cairns Reviews

57 - 89 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

Gilligans is exactly what it advertises... A good cheap place to sleep with tones of party options. Like everyone says you do hear the music a little but its by no means annoying and the club is pretty sick. I would stay again. Very friendly staff and clean hostel.

This is abreast hostel with awesome facilities. But the Banging bass until 5am takes its toll. And parties in the rooms can stop other enjoying there trips. Especially having to get up very early to head out. 1 hour of quiet isn't ideal. Yes I knew this was a party hostel. But I wasn't aware that it was on top of the biggest club that went on everyday.

• 30th Jan 2016

Security very intimidating when arriving at the hostel at 5am. Some of the staff unhelpful when trying to change my booking. Kitchen was good, rooms were clean. If you like party hostels its probably ok. I had a guy banging on the door at 2am screaming at me to let him in when i answered because he was so drunk and had the wrong room. So glad i didn't have to stay nearly 2 weeks like i'd originally planned.

Good facilities and value for money

The rooms are super clean as are all the facilities. Definitely a cool place to party. It's a loud neighborhood if you're trying to sleep early but it seems most people stay up late here anyway.

I thought i was a litle bit defraudated because its not clear that the shuttle is only one way all the people i met they tought it was free like me so i think you should make it more clear when we book , Thank you

Our stay at gilligans was amazing!! Rooms had lots of space and were super clean! The bar downstairs was so much fun we spent pretty much every night there! If your looking for a place to have fun and meet amazing people gilligans is definelty the place to go!

Best hostel for your money in Australia by far! Big rooms with comfortable beds which also have air con. Lots of security on the door so you always feel safe and nice big kitchen which can get hot due to no fans. Great deals down in the bar attached including free meal with a drink. It felt more like a hotel than a hostel and set the bar high for the other hostels in Australia - which we've found to be total dumps in comparison. Great start to Australia

Unfortunately a laptop was stolen out of our van in the carpark so security is a bit of an issue or we were just unlucky. Despite this negative Gilligans is full of lots of fun like minded people up for a party. The facilities are some of the best that you can expect from any hostel worldwide. Cairns being full of activities gillies is the perfect spot to base your camp. The only downfall is the bar staff are extremely rude and inpatient particularly the bar manager.

Horrible staff great room but loud st night

The location is well centred within cairns town centre , but it has more of hotel atmosphere rather than a hostel atmosphere, not much connection and social activities with other residents, the staff don't look like they want to get involved but are just there for a pay check, however the pool is amazing, very good on hot days, cheap drinks too. Rooms are decent with a balcony but you can't sleep well as club is on every night blasting music and the bass is crazy so hard to sleep. Good for party

Staff weren't particularly friendly but it was a decent place.

• 13th Jan 2016

Really nice and friendly hostel

• 4th Jan 2016

Overall my stay was good. Here's something I'd like to mention though: - The vodka at the bar isn't poured from a bottle (it comes out of the same hose thing as the soft drinks) and is 100% watered down/potentially not vodka. I was met with some serious attitude when I asked the bartender about it! To evidence this, I was still going strong at 3am after drinking 'vodka' all night at Gilligan's...the next night on a pub crawl I was drinking proper vodka - different result :/

best of rest

dirty hostel, bathroom wasnt cleaned once in my 8 person dorm the 3 days i stayed there. Very loud and difficult to sleep at night. Also entrance opens onto main street so not very secure...

A amazing hostel to party! The hostel is very big and the rooms are not so big but the bed is nice!

• 23rd Dec 2015

What an awesome place!!! If you want a party hostel then this is the place for you! Great meal deals!

The lady who checked me in forgot to mention about towels so i had to go down again and ask, same as the internet. I also asked about activities she said she doesn't really know and there was a big sign on the desk to check with reception when they are closed. The day before I left, i was about to put my stuff in the lockers as i still went for a last activity before I left cairns. I asked her how much it costs, and all of them said WE dont know... it's $10 by the way. But over all it was OK

• 20th Dec 2015
  • Philippines

Great hostel with excellent facilities. Fantastic deals on food, I thought I was robbing them for the quality of the steak with a drink for $12. We stopped in the 6 bed deluxe which was very spacious in comparison to places we've stopped. Has the top night spot in cairns which is a massive bonus if u like to party.

• 18th Dec 2015