Gilligan's Backpacker Hotel & Resort Cairns Reviews

57 - 89 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

Great friendly staff and an excellent place to stay and enjoy and meet new people very good place to socialize and meet new people.

Had an amazing stay with really friendly staff and people, and loved the tour operators downstairs. Bar was fantastic and overall rooms were really comfy. Showers could be upgraded where they weren't the best compared to other hostels, but not a massive issue.

Biggest hostel I've ever stayed in but cleanliness was still 10/10 and so were the staff. Remembered us every time we walked in and were so polite and helpful! Pool was awesome as was the bar/nightclub! Price was so cheap too!!! 100% recommend anyone to stay here!

• 16th Dec 2015

It is what it is, cheap and cheerful. if you don't want to stay in a party hostel then this isn't the place for you. Great if you want to meet people, good location too.

Huge party hostel right in the centre of town, it's well advertised as a party hostel so you know what to expect. Big pool, big bar/nightclub and cheap food were all good, I got lucky with roommates who were all respectful and not loud so enjoyed my stay. Surprisingly clean though the main stairwell stinks

Definitely the place to be when staying in Cairns

Such a great atmosphere! Really nice hostel, would definitely go back! I'll be recommending this to all my friends heading up to Cairns.

Good hostel. Decent events most nights, good meal deals, spacious kitchens and common areas though they aren't really used to meet other people. Pretty good location - 5 to 10 min walk from everything. Rooms which are on the first floor and/or by the elevators and/or above the club never really get any quiet. I switched rooms to a quiter location and even then there was costruction work across the hall in another room beginning at like 6AM...ridiculous! Really tough to sleep in this hostel.

So freaking fun. Pool/activities during the day. Crazy fun at night. Staff is great. Bar crawls are so fun. I wanna come back every year! AND THE BEDS WERE SO COMFORTABLE..... At least compared to other hostels hahah

The hostel was really modern, and clean! I slept fine even with the club downstairs, so don't let that put you off from booking! It's in a good location within the city

One of the best value for your money in australia

Alright hostel, some staff members at the reception seem to know less.than others. Our room was in first floor and it felt like sleeping in the club,it was extremely loud. Location is great,everything nearby and easy to reach

• 1st Dec 2015

If you want a lively hostel where you can meet people Gilligans is the place to stay!! The rooms are clean with a balcony and en-suite. Kitchens on every floor. Club/bar/restaurant downstairs selling cheap food and drinks. Only downside was there were no plug points next to the bed and wifi is not free (but you will find this in most hostels in Australia)

It was obnoxiously loud and felt like I just graduated high school. I got into my room and my bed didn't even have a pillow and when I asked for one, there were none. The bathroom had no hand soap and there was little storage. I also felt like I was in the middle of the club all hours of the night. After I fell asleep for an hour around 4am, I was quickly woken up by drunk people running through the halls. The kitchen had no knives, and the people at the front desk were not helpful.

• 26th Nov 2015

I had a really nice stay there. Actually the hostel was one of the best I've been to in Australia. Pretty modern and you are close to the city next to everything you need. Awesome the possibility to take a free bus from the airport to the hostel. Thumbs definitely up!

I was freezing every single night and so was everyone in my room. The air con should be able to turn off when wanted because myself and everyone in my room had to PAY for another blanket. A blanket aswell ?? It's one of the expensive hostels in Australia and we weren't even probided with a duvet it was a holy blanket which made it even more cold.

One of the cheapest places on the east coast, always good deals on in the bar and a good live band! Perfect for backpackers, would definitely recommend and return.

Staff were always pretty unhelpful. Rooms were good but lack of plug sockets. Wifi only worked in some areas. Good atmosphere and decent food and bar area. Good pool and pretty central to everything

Lovely big kitchen on each floor, travel agents on bottom floor, nice big pool and club next door. They have cleaners in every day and lots of place to store food. Only thing is you can hear the live band till about 12ish so if you're having a quiet one put your earplugs in! Also you have to pay $2 a day for WiFi and alcohol in rooms is not permitted.

• 19th Nov 2015

REALLY liked this hostel. Yes the bar on site is a good night out but just as a hostel it's got everything. Modern, clean and well equipped kitchens on every floor, spacious lounge areas and really nice dorms. Security is super tight and the staff are all really nice. Short walk to the harbour good for boat trips to the barrier reef, cheap airport transfers organised by the hostel too. Wifi is only $2 for 24 hours and it's really good. Couldn't hear the music from my room at all either.