Gilligan's Backpacker Hotel & Resort Cairns Reviews

57 - 89 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

Very nice hostel, better than some hotels I've stayed in. Not the easiest place to make friends, I relied on friends I'd made further down the coast to keep me company. But overall it's nice enough and it isn't too bad to sleep considering it is above a club (I was on 2nd floor and I slept fine)

Gilligans is nicely located in the centre of Carins, beside Rusty's market and a short stroll to Coles or Woolworths and the Lagoon. There is a big bar/nightclub downstairs but I couldn't hear this from my room. There are cheap meal & drink offers in the bar which is nice for backpackers on a budget. The rooms are nice with most having a balcony area and separate shower/toliet/sink areas. Storage lockers in the rooms would be a nice to have but there are only small lockers available.

This is a party hostel. Very young crowd. If you are looking to sleep go somewhere else.

Had a very fun stay, the staff were friendly and the people we met in our room were really friendly and good Fun!! The food deal in the evening was a good idea apart from it would have been nice to have a normal sized portion! Would deffinatly go back!!

I loved my stay at Gilligans. The location is awesome, you can easily book tours next door, they have a 'buy a drink, get a meal for free' thing going on . Its more a hotel with key cards and housekeeping then a hostel. Go there!

It was good, but if you are alone it's not a good backpacker to find friend! There a lot of other backpacker more friendly! If you are in group, it's a good place to party

• 4th May 2014

Best hostel if you are looking for luxurious and clean stay..Very friendly staff especially Kimberly and megan make you feel welcome and ready to party.. A bit expensive than other hostels but the facilities and cleanliness are worth it.

I felt that because this hostel had won so many awards, the staff lacked in general helpfulness. I checked in and wasnt told where my room was and there where no room number pointers. A quick 'into the lift and turn right on the third floor would have been nice. Other that that, amazing hostel. Loads to do and very clean with kitchens and lounges on every floor. Having A bathroom and shower in each dorm was good too

The rooms were great, but very loud in the early hours due to the bar. The $3 meals were a great part. Only negative would be the bar staff were quite miserable and sometimes rude. Great pool!!

Very good party hostel!! Stay in the 8 bed dorm if you want to be up every night until 5am (2nd floor) - stay on the third floor if you want to have some quiet but also a good party! Reception is pretty good if you have a complaint. Beautiful facilities and bar - great location!! Will definitely come back :) No better place to stay as a backpacker in Cairns!

This hostel was amazing! Felt like you were at a hotel. The price was super cheap for what you get. The pool was a great feature super nice and a good place to just chill out for the day. A kitchen and lounge on each floor made for little crowding. Also they had an amazing supper deal where you would pay 3 dollars for a pop and get a home cooked meal! Or pay another 3 dollars to supersize it. Staff was really friendly and there are nice places to hang our while waiting for check in. Goodlocation

• 24th Apr 2014

The hostel staff ruin this place. They seem uninterested in guests and appear to be quite snooty the majority of the time. Check in is at 2Pm and the queue to actually get checked in is at least an hour long. I think that's quite cheeky considering the fact they have a ridiculous 10am check out policy. The actual hostel is incredibly Cringey - jelly wrestling and the likes. I've stayed at party hostels throughout Oz and SE Asia but this one was just too much.

What a place - a backpacker institution! Thanks for having us, we had a ball!

Gilligan's is definitely the party-hostel in Cairns. The bar is the party place to go in Cairns, therefore if you want to go out, you're right at this place. There, you can meet locals as well as backpackers from other hostels. The hostel itself is good as well, nice clean rooms with bathroom ensuite and lockers for your valuables. Although the bar is right next to the hostel the rooms are quiet. But like all big hostels, it is not that social like a small one. Still a good place to stay.

Was good to stay in a central location so close to everything. had a great vibe with other patrons also.

• 18th Apr 2014

Off tap!!!

• 15th Apr 2014

What a great hostel! Felt like we were staying in a hotel! Rooms were spacious and spotless. Atmosphere amazing. Staff really went the extra mile when Cyclone Ita was on it's way and let us use their phone for 45mins to change our flights. It is a party hostel so I guess there is a lottery to who's in your room, so long as you're aware of this before you go, then you'll be fine!

1 2 Next » last »