Gilligan's Backpacker Hotel & Resort Cairns Reviews

57 - 89 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

There were no lockers available in my 4 share room which I find to be highly unacceptable

Very much a party hostel, loud beating music every night but it's easy to sleep through. I stayed here for four nights and I didn't spend much time in the town or hostel. Very modern, very comfy, very good quality. Good location too about five minute away from the Main Street and lagoon/bay. I am not a party person in the slightest, but I would go back again!

Nice hostel, with good kitchens, gilligans bar is probably the liveliest place in Cairns.

Great hostel, worth the money. Amazing facilities (like a hotel!), however it is a party hostel. I asked for a quiet room as I only had 2 nights stay (got there late, and left early for airport after 2nd) and the staff were great and I did get a quiet room! Lockers in the dorms and comfy beds. Party atmosphere is great if that's what you want! Very sociable! Will be staying here again soon to party!

Really good location and good clean dorms with a nice ensuite shower. Large clean kitchen with plenty of fridge space. Great if you want to go out every night but no good if you have to be up early for a trip or want an undisturbed nights sleep as it is a party hostel.

Must stay here!

Wet T-Shirt competition was a bit dodgy... Particularly as it featured some incredibly drunk 'just turned' 18 year olds girls. Left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth after an otherwise really incredible trip.

• 27th Nov 2014

Really fun hostel, incredible bar space that attracts people from all the other hostels as well.

Great place!

A great hostel in a great location. Free meals and great value bar and restaurant. It's party party if you want it to be but I had no trouble sleeping!

I had a Deluxe room and it was very nice. I don't know about the other rooms, but the pool and bar are very nice.

The location is nice but the behaviour of the security guys is a joke. They came into our room late in the evening with their own entry cards and told us, there would be no inadequate behaviour this night. Nobody in the room was there the night(s) before, so we had no clue what they actually referred to. They were unfriendly and talked loudly in the room although they could clearly see, that some people were already sleeping. Treating customers this way is simply unacceptable!!

Cool place to go party, decent deals on food/booze. Staff could be a little nicer as they are very strict about some things. Security even watch from the road to see if people are drinking on their balcony. They will come up and confiscate your drinks. I understand it's something to do with a liquor license but i'd say give it a rest we're here for a good time not a long time. However, I still had a great time and met some awesome people.

Good hostel, close to everything you need. All facilities are new and kept very clean. Had no problem with noise, although people I talked to did. Couple of mins walk to Woolies or the Lagoon and coach stop. No lockers in rooms but you can use their storage or pay a steep fee for big lockers on a timer. Whether your looking for a party hostel or a sleep inbetween tours, it does both jobs

Overall very clean and modern. Felt more like a hotel than a hostel. Personally I prefer hostels that actually feel like hostels.

A hostel that's a hotel. What more is there to say! TV room could do with being made more comfy and more aircon there

Key card to get in/out of hostel/rooms. Toilet/shower/mirror is in the doom and shared by all 8 people. Very small free lockers in the room you need your own lock. They charge $10 for a larger locker. Its a large hostel lots of people in/out. Great location, near shops, pubs, lagoon, bus and rail and all your tours. There was a free bus from the airport brought us to the hostel. It will be loud especially on weekends. There is a bar/nightclub down stairs. Cheap meals available there.

Not impressed with this place and I don't know why everyone is going on about it. The staff are not the friendliest. You are asked for a 50AUSD credit card deposit 30AUSD key card deposit! Provided you share with 5 other people I don't know how they split the bill in case of any damage of their valuable property! The rooms are not bad but they don't even make your bed - they give you sheets - DIY If you are up for partying getting drunk etc. probably this is the place for you.

Staff not friendly, but the hostel is well located and facilities excelent, everything new. Has elevators, good for those with big luggages.

Very good hostel. Really well located and very safe. The room was really good, and even though parties were going on on the club/bar in front of the hostel, no noise at all inside the room.