Gilligan's Backpacker Hotel & Resort Cairns Reviews

57 - 89 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

Absolutely loved Gillian's. We were in a 4 bed female dorm with ensuite, the room was big and shower was incredible. Honestly it felt more like we were in a hotel than a hostel. We did the buy a drink get a free meal deal in the bar on our first night and while the meal wasn't massive it was nice and you had the option to pay a little bit more if you wanted something a bit more substantial. I also sorted out my trip to Fiji with the tours desk who were super helpful. Perfect start to our trip!

• 20th Apr 2015

Party hostel full of loud annoying people.

If you want to party this is the place to be. Make sure to sign up for Monday Mission.

awesome. most people stay here so bump into lots of east coast mates there. always something on. nightly free food (when buying a drink) is great value as you can just buy a softie. don't forget to use your keycard to get discounts at the bar tho!! clean rooms and kitchen with lockers and every room has balancing doors

We really enjoyed our stay at Gilligan's, the staff were always really helpful and friendly. The atmosphere was great, the bar downstairs was a highlight of a night out, you were able to meet lots of people, have cheap alcohol and a short trip back up to bed! If partying is not your seen the rooms were still really quite at night and you couldn't here the bar downstairs at all- which is great if you have to be up early for a flight or trip! Overall it was a GREAT time...

Party Hostel :) This is probably the best party hostel I've been to along the east coast. It feels more like a hotel than a hostel though due to the size and the professionalism among the staff and organisation. It is a great place to party with its own nightclub. Not so easy to meet people though since there is not really a common area like in other hostels. Luckily I wasn't there on my own which made it a lot more entertaining.

In three months of travelling I have never had worse customer service. The staff are absolutely terrible. It's worth noting that if you are travelling with someone, it's in no way guaranteed you will be put in the same room (most people I met were separated despite it being such a big hostel.) Rooms not particularly clean either. The only good thing about the hostel is the bar- I would recommend staying elsewhere and just coming to the hostel at night (even guests have to pay entry anyway!)

Gilligans is a great hostel. Dont come here if you plan a quiet nights sleep! Great atmosphere. Would recommend highly.

Great party hostel

If u wanna party, go to Gilligans

Loved it. Stayed 2 weeks. Know what you're getting into, though. Gilligan's is referred to as a nightclub with a hostel attached, and that's not far from the truth. If your room faces the back, you'll hear the club until the wee hours. The rooms that face the street are quiet though. It's the ultimate party hostel, and I loved it for that. If that's what you're looking for, you will too.

So clean! Most staff are good. Bar staff are useless and inefficient! Good hostel.

Clean your room everyday, nightclub downstairs is cool if you're trying to get wasted every night but there are good ways to save money and it's pretty much one of the best nightlife spots in the area. The pool is a nice touch. But in the bar area during the day people come in and try to sell you pub crawls like basically every other commission based travel sales person on the streets of Cairns

Everything is awesome here!!!

Loved that there were bathrooms in each room, there was a balcony and the beds were rather large. The $3 AUD backpacker meal (after purchase of a schooner of coke - or $1 extra for a beer) was fantastic and really helped the budget.

This place is straight up flames

• 18th Mar 2015

I expected Gilligans to be a non stop party hostel but in fact was pleasantly surprised that it was a lot more relaxed than I envisioned. They could do with more toilets on each floor as if someone is using the bathroom in your room, you just have to wait until they're finished. Staff were ok but didnt really give me any info when I checked in on any of the facilities. Best part was the free meal with the purchase of any drink.

Great loved this hostel one of the best I have stayed at! But was I shame I had to queue forever to check out as they had next to no staff checking people out and they where taking a long time doing so

Rooms were very comfortable with a kitchen on each floor. Great staff down stairs to plan out your trip and make bookings. BEST BAR area I have been to. They have a club down stairs with a different theme each night. Pool is always closed it seems like, but nice. Short 5 min walk from the Lagoon.

Massive hostel!! More like staying in a hotel! But each floor has its own kitchen. The rooms were a little bit cramped but clean. And although it has a massive bar/club - you don't hear the noise from it at night. Really good atmosphere in the bar, with good value drinks! :)