Glendaloch Youth Hostel (Hostelling International) Reviews

Monastic Settlement, Glendalough, Glendalough, Ireland

My experience at Glendalough Youth Hostel was wonderful. The staff were lovely and helpful. The only small downside is that the showers take an extremely long time to warm up.

• 30th Jun 2014

The hostel provided an ideal localtion for our gaisce venture.

• 28th Jun 2014

The staff was extremely helpful. However, it is the WORST bed I've ever slept on, in a hostel. Also breakfast is not cheap (4€ continental and 8€ irish) and it has to be ordered in advance.

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that the film "Hostel" is available to rent at your hostel, very reassuring.

Great place & people altogether

Great location, and especially tranquil. Couldn't ask for more.

Fantastic place to visit. I felt right at home in the Gledaloch hostel. Wifi works great but only in the reception area. But there are plugs and couches and friendly people there.

• 10th Jun 2014

We got better room for same price. Everything went smoothly, staff was very helpful and friendly.

We were excited about the location when we arrived and used the great kitchen facilities (self-catering) right away. However, we were not as impressed by many of the staff's blasé attitude toward working at reception. Breakfast is available but costs extra, and since there are few places to get food nearby we brought our own groceries.

The hostel is beautifully situated in the Wicklow Mountains, with the national park to one side and the ruins of a 6th-century monastic village to the other. It was all very safe- I left my laptop out in the open in an eight-bed dorm with no worries. The dorm was spacious and well-lit by big windows, with none of the claustrophobia you sometimes get in city hostels, and quite clean. Staff is great. The one criticism I would make is that the continental breakfast is NOT worth the 4 euro!

This is a really lovely hostel to stay in, great kitchen facilities, helpful staff, a beautiful location. This is the closest hostel/hotel to the lakes as far as I know, a minute's walk to one lake and a five minute walk to the other. We were walking some of the Wicklow Way and this is a good hostel to stay at on this. Would definitely stay here again.

Every thing was excilent most important is hostel is near by BEAUTIFULL nature side I always remember stay there

Loved the staff!!! The rooms were pristine, and the location was wonderful to experience a lovely countryside Ireland. The only downside for me was that our ensuite shower was one of those push the button while you shower showers. Bleck. All else was well.

Very nice hostel in very convenient, beautiful location.

It would have been helpful to know if a sleeping bag is needed and if is breakfast served. Concerning the breakfast we didn't get the info nor on the reservation nor at the checkin.

The room (6 persons) was very smelly. There was no water and when the water was turned on again it was cold so we couldn't take a shower. The toilet didn't flush (not pleasant if there are several people). The staff in the kitchen the next morning was really helpfull and agreeable. So that was a positive note. It's a beautiful old building but IT IS HIGH TIME TO RENOVATE. Why is the floor covered with carpet in a world full of allergic people?

• 3rd May 2014
  • Belgium

Great hostel in an even better location

The Wifi wasn't working. Fortunately, on the second day a member of the staff gave us access to her own wifi. The hot water for the showers wasn't working neither, quite annoying when you spend your day walking in the mountains. Nevertheless, excellent location to access the trails. Complete kitchen. Very clean. Lovely living room at the entrance with fireplace.

Gelndalock is a stay worth!

• 17th Mar 2014

Despite seeing a large crowd of students outside on arrival, my stay was perfect, as everyone was most socialble, including all the staff. The weather was cold at that time of year (mid-March), but the hostel was quite warm, and radiators in the six-bunk room I used, were left on all night! The manageress went out of her way for everyone to ensure there were no problems.