Glendalough Youth Hostel (Hostelling International Reviews

Monastic Settlement, Glendalough, Glendalough, Ireland

Amazing background and building. But we have to highlight that there were nobody to welcome us when we arrive at the youth hostel. We had to look for one receptionist for about 30 minutes. In addition, the breakfast wasn't included in the price and when we arrived in the dinning room in the morning there was nothing anymore to eat while we arrived only 30 minutes after the beginning. Despite of it, the room was very roomy and clean (except a stain on a sheet) with a private shower.

Very homely and a most enjoyable stay - made to feel very welcome!

Me and my girlfriend, we brought our own food, to have self-catering during our stay, as we did not know what to expect. After we checked the staff kitchen, which we accidentally took, we found it dirty, sticky (old fry-oil) and smelly (old meat). We thought about taking breakfast from the Hostel the next day, but we did not do it after seeing that. It was actually the last time we took a step into the kitchen area. I would never eat anything made in this kitchen ever.

• 14th Mar 2015

Tara was brilliant, hostel is very dated with lots not working correctly. However your right next to the Walks .Yha members get 2euros discount a night. Someone who walked in paid 4.50 less than I had. I wouldn't stay again, if you have a car stay in Knockree hostel as it was cheaper and amazing in comparison

Glendalough Youth Hostel was a very pleasant stay. The staff was very friendly and they helped us with everything immediately. For instance, the heating in our room was not working and the staff just rebooked us to an other (and bigger ;) ) room. Very nice. The kitchen is wel provided with tools pots and pans. The location is also ideal if you want to hike in the Wicklow Mountains. The downsides are the very old and uncomfortable beds. And the Wifi is only accessible in the lobby.

Amazing! Beautiful location, very clean, great breakfast in the morning for a good price! Also a fantastic DVD selection.

• 31st Jan 2015

I liked that hostel. Please note that you have to bring your own padlock if you want to lock your valuables (maybe you can borrow some, but I didn´t ask). Staff is very helpful and friendly and it´s a very warm and cosy place. Easy to meet people. Cleanliness is good, though facilities are a bit older, so it´s harder to keep them spotless. Also important: Next ATM is far, far away (some 20 km?). Bring also food in advance. There´s only a tiny little gas station shop within walking distance.

A good value , clean hostel with nice staff and a cat. The lounge area has a wood burning stove and lots of sofas, they have a big selection of DVDs that you can rent and the place is warm throughout even in the depth of January. (we woke up to a light dusting of snow outside.) It could be bettered if they offer a service where you could perhaps rent a posture pillow for an extra couple of euro and complimentary tea, coffee and sugar would make it near perfect

The hostel is close to a lot of the hiking paths in Glendalough, so it is a good location. There is absolutely nothing to do at night though, so don't expect much nightlife. The internet was down the whole time we were there unfortunately.

The only thing was that the breakfast cost seemed a bit steep, so we didn't get breakfast. Otherwise it was great!

• 5th Nov 2014

we"ll be back

• 2nd Nov 2014
  • Belgium

big hostel, nice area. Clean, old but well kept. Some of the walls (bathroom) could do with some make over. Common area big, right at the entry so not cosy but sofas comfortable. you can buy your brekky for for 4 or 8 EU...There is no shop, unless you walk 2km to the next village. Stuff was friendly but not very welcoming.

Staff member at the counter on arrival very unfriendly. Also disappointed breakfast not included in price. Overall ok, very basic hostel!!!

• 25th Oct 2014

Awesome staff!!

This was a really great place to stay.The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you.Would definitely return.No negatives to add the location was amazing too.

• 11th Oct 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

Warm welcome and Delicious breakfast! (with a capital D!)

• 10th Oct 2014
  • Belgium

This is a very good hostel. Unfortunately, it is suffering from lack of maintenance. Internal walls are damp from water seeping from shower cubicles on other sides of walls, broken electrical sockets, etc. In a 10-bed dorm, there were only 4 lockable lockers and one electrical double socket. In this day and age, there should be a double socket for each bed, and secure facilities for charging mobile phones and other devices.

• 24th Sep 2014

Nice hostel in the middle of the nature. Beds and showers are clean and the breakfast is cheap and good. The staff is very kind and the surrounding is very beautiful.

A beautiful location in a nice landscape, close nearby the round tower. Friendly staff. The night before this YH was full booked, but I can stay in the depedance in Laragh. A good idea! I have travel on my bicycle through beautiful Ireland. Glendalough has made a huge impression on me. I am lover of ancient monuments.

I felt like the staff was doing me some extraordinary favours when I asked some kind of information, like wireless pass code or even a restaurant number for booking. The mattress I slept on was horrible the room was really dirty. The location is perfect though for the ones which want to visit the park.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7