Global Central Reviews

9 Shields Street, Cairns, Australia

Location excellent.Room absolutely basic,just a bed,not even a chair.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Spain

- really clean hostel and very well located. equipment from the kitchen was good+ the toilets and showers were nice and clean as well. It was just really annoying that every morning the staff came into your room at 10 to change the bedsheets, then another man came in to change the bin + another one to mop the floor.u also had to go down to the reception every time before u wanted to eat something to get cutlery. community area and kitchen closes at 9-10. clean+organized hostel but no atmosphere

Staff was friendly and good at solving problems. Kitchen was nice and clean most of the time. A little bit noisy, walls are not very isolated and this is a party hostel. Location was great, in walking distance to shopping, bars and the esplanade. And they are very helpful if you want to book any tours around Cairns, diving, skydiving etc.

Room was big with a nice wooden floor, a window and an airconditioning. Only thing i didnt like were the dirty toilets.

Noise every night

I stayed at Global Backpackers for 3 days during a ScubaDiving course with ProDiveCairns, and one night after before heading to the airport. The first 3 nights I was in a all-girls 8 bed dorm room on the second floor where the room was clean and the bathroom kept in an acceptable state. The one night I stayed here before leaving, I was put in a mixed 8 bed on the first level where people had clearly been living for awhile. It was disgusting and the bathroom (shared by the entire floor) was also.

We booked a double room and it was VERY basic. The room was very small and it contained only the bed, nothing else. There was a window, but that was towards the corridor so the only source of light was the ceiling lamp. The kitchen was pretty crowded, the fridge extremely full - as it usually is in hostels. The reception was located outside the actual hostel, so the fact that you had to loan your plates and cutlery there and only could keep them for 2 hours was annoying. Wouldn't recommend it.

Mattress uncomfortable Air con was terrible No lockers to lock away valuables I left early for the airport, no staff to organise my check out. I had to leave the room key with the shuttle bus driver who kindly handed it in for me. I had to wait about 2 weeks for a refund for the key deposit. I phoned twice to get my money back. Poor show. I wouldn't stay here again.

• 24th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

The room and the kitchen are big. The toilets are clean always.

• 31st Mar 2014
  • Hong Kong

Best hostel for this price I've stayed in. Nice balcony, clean showers, helpful staff. The rooms could use some kind of shelves/lockers though as all the stuff was on the floor. Also in my room the air con was leaking, there was a bucket on the floor for that. But at least it was working and the room was nice and cool.

This hostel is indeed really good. I didn't expect too much since it's being really cheap but I was surprised about how good the hostel was. Everything was very clean, the kitchen was big, you could sit outside and eat there. Also the rooms were really big so you had enough space for all your things and the bathroom facilities were really good too. So overall I enjoyed my stay and would go there definitely again!

Great location, lots of people to meet at the hostel. Good communal area. Kitchen facilities could have been better, bit annoying having to go to reception every time you wanted a cutlery box. Colin on reception was great and will help you book any tours you want to do at a great price.