Global Central Reviews

9 Shields Street, Cairns, Australia

cheap hostel I had a room without AC and windows. It was very warm, even in Winter (June) I did not like it, but for one night it was ok. The location is awesome though. Lots of clubs and pubs

It is a great hostel and very cheap. The kitchen is big and clean, which is reallu nice. The staff was acting a bit too cool, like they were better than others, which is a shame, but it was okay. Annoying that you had to go all the way down to the reception just to get come cutlery. I know people steal a lot, but stil.. It's really annoying.

Sometimes, Toilets are not really clean

• 6th Jun 2015

I've extended my stay for another 4nights. Met great people and slept well every night!

• 4th Jun 2015

DO NOT STAY HERE! This is the worst hostel I've been in Australia because of a few problems: - There is no lockers on the doors in the showers, so anyone can enter when you're showering! - they close the balcony at 9pm so if you're enjoying a drink or something with your friends you have to come back inside! - I checked out 4 minutes late and they charged me $10 saying me that I should have came 5 minutes earlier! When I talked to the manager she said that's normal, they aren't honest!!!

I live the first day of the room don't even have a storage table, 2-3:00 someone is yelling at midnight every night, and the next day my clothes had been stolen. Tell your waiter, call me alarm processing. 10:00 pantry door shut, there is no way to drink water, even WiFi should be an extra charge. Really is a word people.

• 19th Apr 2015
  • Taiwan

The whole hostel echos so it's very noisy all through every night. Nothing goes on in the evenings. Our food kept being stolen from the fridge. Your not trusted with plates, cutlery or cups so they ask for your ID at reception and hang onto it till you bring them back... 2 hour limits apply! Some of the staff at the desk were friendly. All the cleaners just seemed rude. We actually had 2 of them stand at our door after cleaning the bin and they just stared at us while we were trying to sleep....

Stayed a week at Global Central, had an absolute blast! Absolute prime location compared to other popular hostels. Perfect spot for pre drinks and to access the lagoon. Showers are fantastic and easily big enough for two ;) The balcony is great to drink at and meet new people. Would recommend bringing cutlery and a plate as you have to go down to reception with a deposit every time you want to eat! The only real negative is the staff are the most utter useless and good for nothing lazy idiots!

• 27th Mar 2015

The room didn't clean. And no locker can lock myself staff. The neighbourhood so noisy at mighnight. And somebody would tell they, they didn't improve until 3 a.m.

• 14th Mar 2015
  • Taiwan

Perfect location, spotlessly clean, nice staff, not a bad thing to say

I absolutely loved this hostel. It was so cheap and yet it's the best one I've stayed in! The facilities are good and the kitchen is huge. Plenty of room in the fridges, plenty of jobs going for free accommodation. Centrally located, the staff were friendly. Great place to meet people, couldn't fault it at all!

The staff at your reception desk were possibly the worst i,ve ever encountered in nine trips to Australia! The one girl with a liverpool accent should not be working at a hostel with her really could,nt be bothered and rude attitude.It was weeks ago now but it is still the worst reception in a hostel throughout australia i have encountered.

Receptionist Carrie was always friendly and professional. I was travelling with a friend and when my friend left Carrie took time out to make sure i was ok and invited me to her social group. She was always around with a smile and time for a catch up. Kudos to her.