7.3
Very Good 402 Total Reviews
7.3
Very Good 402 Total Reviews
Global Central Located at 9 Shields Street, , Cairns.
Australia
Cairns Queensland 4870 9 Shields Street
73% 402
-16.9219087 145.7762467
    Rooms available

• USA, Male, 41+
24th Aug 2016
7.4

In all the awesome hostels I've stayed at during my visit in Australia I found the Global Hostel in Cairns one the least desirable. The staff were friendly however the inside feels like a college dormitory. The rooms were incredibly small. I realize the staff have no control over what goes on in a room but my room was a rats nest with clothes and food boxes all over the floor. It almost felt like people were living in there and I could barely move around without stepping on something. 😒

• Germany, Female, 18-24
26th Jul 2016
6.9

It was really nice to stay there ... However the staff was very unfriendly and impolite which can be quite uncomfortable for travels from overseas with poor English

• England, All Male Group, 18-24
13th Jul 2016
4.0

Stayed here in July. We walked through a mall, then trough a large door. When we walked through the corridor, it was dim and looked literarily like death row! In our room my bed was dire, it had one leg missing, slats were missing and had blood stains on the mattress! The showers were dirty so was the floor. My white socks were stained black from walking to the toilet and back. Tumble driers were poor had to spend over $10 to dry my clothes as they were still damp, staff were reluctant to help!!

• Colombia, Couple, 25-30
11th Jul 2016
5.4

There were ants in the room upon arrival. We asked reception to look. They never followed up with us but when we returned later we noticed there were no ants visible. The kitchen setup was poor as many guests used the lent materials (plates, cups, silverware) for long periods of time. It seemed to us the normal rule of general sharing of kitchen items and leaving everything available to everyone at all times would be much better. Also, the website should specify if rooms have no natural light.

• Canada, Female, 18-24
8th Jul 2016

Staff was super friendly and helpful. And great location (only one block from the lagoon/beach front).

• Germany, All Male Group, 18-24
6th Jul 2016
7.7

The baggage storage is not secure at all. Basically everybody from the street could pick up the key and empty the room out of the unsupervised back-entrance. The room and other facilities are hostel-standard, just like a hostel always is. Unfortunately the aircon in our room was not really working, quite unpleasant for a room without windows and in tropical Cairns. There's no WiFi provided by the hostel. After all this is cheapest hostel I've ever stayed in and I was positively surprised.

2nd Jul 2016
4.9

Dorm room was a sauna/steambath. Air conditioner added to it by blowing out warm humid air and there was no ventilation. Bunk beds felt like they were going to fall apart & collapse. Bathroom & laundry room were filthy & several members of the staff were a bit rude. By far, the worst hostel I ever stayed in. Will not recommend this hostel to anyone.

• liingust
  • Sweden, Female, 18-24
27th Jun 2016
4.9

Ok accomdation if you just want somewhere to sleep, and if you're ok with not being able to lock in your stuff. Dorms are pretty messy since there's no storage for your luggage, so it's everywhere over the floor, so make sure you know where you got your stuff. Many lost their key in the mess.

26th Jun 2016

This is a great hostel for a good night sleep before a day of scuba diving! We stayed here only for one night so we could sleep in a quiet spot before a day of diving, the walk to the docks is only 5-10 minutes away. I wouldn't stay here to meet people but the location price and security make it a great option!

• CaughtDatTravelBug
  • Australia, Female, 18-24
8th Jun 2016

Really nice hostel with great opportunity to meet new people! I really enjoyed my stay here, however when I wanted to extend my stay there was one staff member who insisted there was no availability in the cheaper rooms, then I checked back a few hours later with a different staff member, and they said there was heaps of room! Aside from that, all the other staff were lovely, and made it a really enjoyable experience!