Global Central Reviews

9 Shields Street, Cairns, Australia

Really good hostel, by far the best value for money on the East Coast. Decent sized rooms, friendly staff, good TV, best goon pong and PJ O Brian's meals. Only thing that annoyed me about the hostel was shutting off the tv room at 10pm bit annoying if you're not going out. But other than that great hostel with a good crowd.

More security

• 31st Dec 2015

Matress was old and inconfortable

• 28th Dec 2015

Everything was fine but don't know why there is a weird smell in the middle of the hallway... I lived at the second floor while my stay. Every time I had to pass by the hall to the toilet I could always smell it! But the floor was clean. You could walk with your bare foot with no problem!

• 21st Dec 2015
  • Taiwan

The building was exceptionally hot and there was a note on the AC not to touch it - it was turned off... It was so hot overnight but ok for a couple of days. The staff were very helpful however and it was in a great location

Free wifi would be really great...

• 7th Dec 2015

Very clean hostel, but the kitchen could have more utensils (especially clean pans, knives, forks, etc.). Staff were very receptive, but I guess it would be nice if you could advise people to not book diving tours on the day before their flight (which was my case and I almost couldn't dive because of that). Also, it can be quite confusing to find your room, so it would be helpful if the crew show where the room is in the first day. No one offered me a discount on the tours, which was annoying.

• 13th Nov 2015

Very unfriendly staff, dirty and very messy rooms.

• 27th Oct 2015

The whole hostel was dirty, the sheets I got looked used and the A/C didn't work properly. The staff wasn't helpful either. I was really afraid to leave anything with value in my room...there was no real "curfew", so people kept singing outside our room at 3 in the Morning.

We booked a private double room hoping for something a bit nicer than a dorm. Room was absolutely tiny with no windows. Felt like a prison. No storage space whatsoever, had to pile our stuff in a corner. No proper cover for the bed, just a paper-thin, ripped sheet. All night long, idiot backpackers were screaming in the hallway and nobody did anything -also the keys open all the doors so we had drunk people coming into our room several times. Absolutely ridiculous. The showers were ok at least.

By far the worst hostel I have stayed at! The key deposit is rediclous and can only be taken in cash so I had to . They say they clean the rooms daily, this is a lie! We had the same trash stilling in our room for 4 days. Some drunk person got into our room one night at 2am and spilled their beer on the floor...this was never mopped. You have to check out plates and cutlery from reception and use your passport, and you have a 2 hour limit or they charge you! The are clueless! Will never stay agi

• 2nd Oct 2015

It was a alright hostel only thing was the front desk staff were horrible at there jobs. Took the girl a hour to check me in I don't no what she was doing looked like she had no clue what to do and was walking back and forth and had problems speaking English. Every time I went down to ask something I would wait 30 minutes at least because they would be talking to there friends and then they wouldn't be able to help me out.

Hostel is safe and clean but the bunk beds were ridiculous, top bunk is so close to the ceiling, so uncomfortable.

nice place if you like vomiting and fighting

Really good location, mattress a bit uncomfortable, windowless room with noisy fan, didn't disturb me too much though because I was extremely tired, crowd can be annoying if you're not the party-all-night-long type, on the other hand I bet it's a good place to meet people