Globe Backpackers Exeter Reviews

71 Holloway Street, Exeter, England

Only qualm is they allow smokers to smoke on the entrance to the hostel, which is not nice for the hostel's image or non-smokers. However, staff are very nice and accommodating, the place is very clean and well run and they have the best showers I've ever experienced in any hostel or hotel. I highly recommend this hostel.

I really like this hostel. It was my second time here. Nice and homely big dorm. The common room has a radio and people actually talk to each other. This doesn't happen much anymore in hostels these days! I arrived outside check-in hours but the owner let me in anyway, which I appreciated very much (heavy bags!).

Really nice, helpful staff, and nice room.

Good Location, 5 minutes from centre. Showers are new and clean. Fully equipped kitchen, but the hotel should put a sign above the stove so that people are obliged to use the ventilation otherwise the whole common room smells (indoor pollution kills!). Price-wise and considering Exeter is a small town, i think 17.50 GBP a night for a 10 bed dormitory is too much. You can easily find a single bedroom (shared bathroom) for the same price in Barcelona!

Room doors need to automatically lock when closed. Don't advertise laundry facilities if only service washes are available.

Great stay, lovely staff. :)

The staff was nice and helpful. The room was quite big but you could hear the other guests talking very loudly, because the walls were very thin. 2 or 3 times different people are entered into our room because our door was next the bath room, so the guests are entered in our room searching for the toilet, I was very disappointed for this unconfortable situation. At the end we've paid for 2 night but actually we stay only 1, but the hostel doesn't refund the unused night.

• 22nd Oct 2013

I was sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience with us. As you had a private room though, I am not sure why you didn't just lock your door?? As to the refund, you did not leave until the evening - check-out is 11am, therefore we could not resell the room, therefore you had to pay for what you had booked.

What a little pit of a place, not at all worth the price.

Funny, but I have asked around the hostel, and no one remembers this guy at all. Don't understand his odd comment and strange us of words, but hope he has now found a large palace of a place for under a tenner.

Richard in charge was very helpful.

• 26th Sep 2013

Amazing bathrooms however the room was quite dirty-floors could have used a vacuum and the room smelt extremely stagnant.

Super close to town!!! The place is OK.... There is no doubt, the place has a sketchy vibe to it (many reasons for that). If sharing a room with 6/8 people, plan to stay no more than 2 nights, it's not the best situation. But I met some really nice people... maybe it was a fluke or that always happens. Either way I'll never stay there again.. KItchen was kind of gross!!!! (ehhh)

• 18th Sep 2013

Well I've seen some confusing reviews before, but I think this one gets the Oscar!! Still not quite sure if she loves us or hates us!! Bless.

The table in the living space was often gross and grotty.

I'm sorry the table was not cleaned all the time, in fareness it should have been........It is a communal area however and there is nothing to stop people wiping a table if they think it a bit messy before of after they have used it.

i love it, staffs are friendly, atmosphere is good, although it's a little noisy outside at night.

• 12th Sep 2013
  • China

A great place to stay, very comfortable with all nesessary things for living.

Excellent hostel! Any traveller would enjoy a place like Globe Backpackers in Exeter! Recommended;)

The night I was there a tour of teenagers was also there and they were very noisy. Although the signs said quiet after 10pm, apparently these young people did not read English and were up and talking until about 2:30am. I would have appreciated a staff member speaking up on the rest of the guests behalf. But the staff were friendly and helpful otherwise and I did enjoy my brief stay.

The hostel's location is good and the rooms are nicely decorated, spacious and clean. The staff was friendly but they tried to charge me the double compared to the hostelworld rate - be careful esp. when booking private rooms. Our room was located in the "quiet zone" but it was not quiet at all (very loud drunk group in the room right next to us). The showers and toilets were okay but not very clean. I would not recommend this place for private rooms, certainly ok for groups willing to party.

I can only apologise about the noise levels, but a Fri night beginning of September!?!? Not sure what you mean about the rate you paid, as you stayed in the double room, and paid for a double room???

I think I might come back to this place.. They've got living room type of area that really feels like home, includes plenty of books and a guitar. Nice kitchen, really nice (new) showers and toilets. Beds were really comfortable as well. Staff were friendly and helpful. Only downsides: Light in the toilets automaticly turns off when you sit still for 15 sec, location is good but not perfect (busy road).

The staff seemed pretty useful and helpful when staying there; if you have heavy back packs/ luggage it can be a bit of a treck to get to and they dont have luggage facilities, it has to be kept in your room or at st. davids station. showers and toilets are really good and kitchen is a decent size :)

Friendly staff and excellent value for money for a town centre hostel. I will definitely be staying again

• 10th Aug 2013