Globetrotters International Reviews

154 Lake st, Cairns, Australia

The hostel has super comfortable beds, lots of kitchens and fridges, a lounge with outlets and wifi. It's somewhat far from the city center and harbor about 16-20 minute walk one way. Everyone was very friendly. The only small problem was that there were some small ants in the room I stayed in and if you come in the summer the AC is coin operated.

The hostel is very nice and clean, the atmosphere is very chilled out and the staff is always happy to help and polite. The overall experience was very good, but there's one thing I didn't really like which is that after 10pm the hostel would literally shut down.Nobody was allowed to stay in the kitchens after 10pm and after 11pm not even in the common areas such as lounge or terraces not even to have a chat.I understand that people want to sleep but I reckon it's a bit too strict for an hostel.

Otherwise pretty ok hostel, but facilities in the dorm we stayed were in bad condition. Other fairies were renovated I guess. And our dry food bag was stolen from the shelf, that's not staff 's fault but it only takes one rotten apple to ruin the others. Staff was quite friendly, some guy didn't really understand our question about the stolen food but they tried their best to help. Kitchen wasn't that clean and fridge was smelly.

• 27th Jun 2014
  • Finland

Hi Guys you could have hired a Locker fridge for $2 for your entire stay and no food would ever get stolen, we do have 80 fridge lockers available now.

Not what I was expecting. Booked this hostel as I wanted a good sleep for a few days and thought this would be quiet. Dorm room door was constantly left open to the tv area, where there were people shouting at the football on tv at all hours of the night! Also, mattresses were about an inch thick - very uncomfortable. It was clean though.

• 20th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

Very good place to stay if you don't want to be kept awake all night, very calm atmosphere and after 11pm it's dead silent! Excellent value for your money and the staff is easy to talk to as well! It will take you a few minutes to walk down the esplanade to the restaurants, pubs, shops etc. But for a good night sleep in a clean hostle, I'd say it's more then worth it!

• 17th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

Arrived in this hostel at 1pm, found a paper with my name and my key, no staff !!? Nobody says hello. This hostel doesnt have a map of the city !!!!!! Which hostel doesnt have a map seriously ? Kitchens equipments very poor. Dirty and bad. The only positif thing : good bed.

To all fellow guests , this is what we have to put up with , inexperienced solo traveller with what seems to be no brains talking about something she has no idea about. Office hours clearly state opening hours of reception 8.30 am-12.30 pm & 5pm-7pm so its no big deal to a normal traveller. Sometimes you have to say hello first and smile :) Maps of Cairns next to your welcoming letter and on any of the 3 tour boards. The kitchens are cleaned twice daily. Dont listen to this negative nasty girl

Hostel is a little far out. 10-15 minute walk to town centre. There are also very few toilets and shower facilities. Aside from this the rooms and hostel overall are very nice.

If you want to arange things this hostel is perfect. The fastest wifi ever had in a hostel. No crazy english party people here!

The beds were very uncomfortable. The kettle was broken so I thought I would heat some water up in the microwave for my dinner and when I opened the microwave door there was food that had been splattered and not cleaned for goodness knows how long. Finally as this hostel tends to be run by travellers let's just say there not that interested in cleaning.

• 24th Apr 2014

Hi guys thanks for the review , we love feed back even one like yours as if it keeps negative people from our hostel this is a good thing :)

The beds were comfortable, but very close together. There were tiny bugs all along the cupboards. The kitchen had one bowl. My son and I ate after one another, because there was only one bowl. There was a lot of noise until about 2 am.

• 15th Apr 2014

Great hostel very clean and chilled. Staff felt with the cyclone very well keeping everyone safe! The only annoyance was the fact you had to carry around your kitchen utensils every time you wanted something to eat as nothing provided in the kitchen.

Absolutely the best hostel I stayed in. It's the perfect place for a long time stay. The atmosphere is relaxed, you can chill at the pool, hang out with the other people, make friends and there is also the opportunity to work for free accommodation. That's why I stayed there for three months. :) And I will definitely go there again one day.

Hotel très sympathique dans lequel j'ai passe un très bon moment et ou je me suis fait quelques amis. very nice hotel, i enjoyed my time in here. a lot of fun with the backpackers and the staff, i will definitely come back when i am in cairns again

• 22nd Mar 2014

WiFi only worked in the main building, it was good having a kitchen and bathroom in the room tho. I was staying in a girls dorm.

Great night sleep after a long haul which was exactly what i was looking for, comfy beds, no party drunks which was a nice change friendly staff, walking distance to centre and reef trips

• 3rd Feb 2014