Gogol'Ostello & Caftè Letterario Reviews

Via Privata Chieti, 1, Milan, Italy

It's a very good hostel. The only thing that is not good enough is that the quilts are public and don't seem to be cleaned very often.

• 4th Oct 2014
  • China

Nice place and atmosphere, clean, semi central. A bit noisy since they organize kids birthdays and parties in the common areas in the afternoons. A bit pricy (we paid 70 pounds per night for a bobble room in October).

• 1st Oct 2014

Lack of personal lockers in the dorm rooms was a drawback. Otherwise the stay was very nice. Fantastic authentic Eritrean dinner prepared by the staff on the weekends (for a reasonable price)!

All in all it's fine, friendly and quiet but atmosphere is a bit dry. Despite the location isn't close to the train station where the airport busses stops/depart which didn't affect me, the hostel is in a nice and safe area. Walking distance to the huge Sempione park, cafe's, restaurants and China town as well as to the tram line. Bunk bed's are shaky. No small kitchen to make your own dish. Wlan available but no additional PC with internet connection provided.

• 19th Sep 2014

I really liked the stay in this hostel. Since the time that I arrived the lady was really gentile and the best of all she also talks spanish! So it was great, the rooms are very clean, they give you a towel and every time in the morning they clean the rooms so that's a plus. Also when you arrived from the airport you shall think it's far from the center but no! It's really close to the main attractions

• 19th Sep 2014
  • Colombia

Breakfast on Sunday consisted of a bag of dry biscuits left unopened on a table with water. Next day we got a fresh coissant and coffee. Specifically said no stairs and rooms all on the top of a 4 floor walk up. Never told this when communicating. VERY noisy location and common area. Trash pickup and traffic on street kept us up all night. Not the place to go if you hope to sleep! Nice enough owner but not comfortable in any way and needs some TLC.

Breakfast was a bit so so apart from the awesome coffee. I met cool people here though it seemed relatively quiet and bit removed from the main area ( though quite close by tram). Main fault was that we weren't able to leave our bags there for the 12 or so hours between checkout and our flight meaning we had to lug heavy backpacks around Milan for many hours.

The common areas are nice. Convenient to have the cafe on the 2nd floor, breakfast is included! The room was a nice size and ours had a bathroom in the room. Clean, seem like it was newly redone. The location was nice not to far from the park and the Duomo.

Excellent service, very friendly staff an lovely interior design! Would definitely come back.

• 31st Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

I think it's a place with great potential, but unfortunately not used.... The location is fine, not very far from the centre. Rooms are bright and clean. But I think the owner should add a bit of heart into the hostel - there were no people there at all. The owner tries to make this a special place, with books and art atmosphere but he or she fails in my opinion. I mean, the host was very kind but very formal at the same time. Breakfast could be better - just coffee and biscuits.

Quite Far away from downtown, no Metro station nearby, from central train station, by the instruction from hostel, walk to Public plaza by 7 minutes, take bus No. 37(need take 12 stops for 25 minutes and plus waiting time), after get off bus, the instruct is kind of " wrong", when right turn to the street, it should be " left again"(not right turn) then No 35 will be on left side, not right turn. no elevator , hard for carrying luggage up to 3 floors.

Clean, newly remodeled and a good location. Staff is helpful and gives you a free breakfast. A great hostel, especially if you want somewhere quiet. I actually had my room to myself. They all have little window balconies which is neat. Free towels, breakfast and wifi

I´ve seen many hostels before but none of them was as clean and tidy like this one :) Very friendly staff, cozy rooms and superb coffee makes it easy to stay. Seems that the owner works 24/7/365... :D Enjoy your stay! We did!

• 19th Aug 2014

was not informed that checkout was 11, and was bit later than this (1230). The staff did not take this well and were very rude. When i asked if I could leave my luggage there, they obliged but again it was begrudgingly and I was told I had to be there at 5. When i arrived at around 4, the wifi was poor downstairs and I wanted to go upstairs to use wifi, the old woman shouted at me and made a scene in front of everyone nad basically told me to leave. I felt very uncomfortable and embarrassed.

Hostel had good security outside, but not so much inside. There was a locked door which I was given a pass key for after hours, but the facilities and security inside were seriously lacking. There were no lockers for securing luggage in the room, and with 4 different people in a room that didn't feel safe. Our bathroom ran out of toilet paper and the cleaning staff didn't have any more so she let me into someone else's locked room to use the bathroom which made me very uncomfortable.

One of the cleanest hostels I've been at which beautiful common rooms. Wasn't many people there when I stayed.

A nice relaxed atmosphere that helps you unwind. The city was near deserted during our stay so everything was chill. The staff was great help and helped us plan a surprise party for my sister´s birthday.

the only problem was a broken window in my room, which wasn't really a big deal. the hostel is modern and it's in a quiet street (good!), but it's not so close to Milan's main attractions (but it's close to a train station - and from there you can go everywhere). friendly staff, excellent cleanliness, good facilities, average breakfast, but the rate is not thaaat cheap

The hostel is beautifully designed and laid out. There is a spacious communal area and the room I stayed in was a good size, with an en suite bathroom. It also had a very sweet Juliet balcony. Breakfast was perfect (for me!) as they have a coffee machine, so my coffee was drinkable :) The location isn't central, but it is a nice area and I didn't find the hostel difficult to locate. The hostel owner also provided a really useful map of Milan. I'd definitely recommend!

Rooms are not air conditioned, making it difficult to sleep on hot nights.

• 31st Jul 2014