Gojo Guest House Reviews

3-396-2 Gojobashihigashi, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto, Japan

Pros: Nice and stylish common area, although not a lot of people were sitting there or hanging out. Bycicle rental, can drink/order some food with them. Pretty building, feels 'authenthic'. Cons: Room is basically nothing but six futons divided only by a small curtain with no privacy or space at all. Not enough poweplugs, no small lamps, no comfortable space for your own stuff. Floor creaks as you walk on it, and although it is a nice building, it also feels a bit run down.

The staff at Gojo is the best staff I have ever come across while traveling, they really went out of their ways to help me. I had to go to the hospital while I was in Kyoto; they helped me find an English speaking doctor, and the manager of the guesthouse accompanied me on both occasions I had to go to the hospital (which took hours), even on his day off. I would've been so lost if he hadn't stayed with me to translate. Additionally, the atmosphere at Gojo and its location are great

Different from cheap business hotel, but reformed from an old Ryokan over 100year(maybe?) I feel like being on time machine, traditional "Japanese style toilet" /sleeping on tatami/un lavabo... In female dorm there is something like curtain so you will have some privacy but still be able to talk to your neighbors (smile, I like meeting people). Warm staff telling me the up-to-date events going on in Kyoto, Japanese style old but clean facility makes me feel like home. I know I will come back

Gojo is the place to stay if you want to experience the relaxed, modern, bar and art culture of kyoto. The staff are helpful and happy tp point you in the direction of local hotspots and onsens. The rooms are spacious and warm and so is the atmosphere. ...if you need to sit back and appreciate the comfort and elegance of kyoto please stay here...

I was really warm in my room when I was sleeping, but I was disappointed to only have cold water (not hot water) at the sinks. The showers were warm enough, though. I think the layout is very unique but nice. It did feel like I was a guest in someone's house.

• 29th Dec 2013

The staff at Gojo Guest House were very friendly,helpful, and speak English well. Guests are also allowed to bring outside food and drink (such as alcohol) to consume in the ground floor cafe (many people socialize there and meet people). Overall, there is an excellent atmosphere at Gojo Guest House. The dorm-style bedrooms (futons on tatami) are clean. There is now enough power outlets spread across the room, and there are small privacy barriers. Bathroom/showers are moderately clean.

• 29th Nov 2013

I had a great time at this guesthouse - great feel, great atmosphere - really helped me enjoy my time in Kyoto.

Staff is friendly and atmosphere is just greate. I had to recomand!!!

• 3rd Nov 2013
  • Czech Republic

The place is quite old. In the dorm rooms (male and female) the walls are stained (humidity? mold? just old paint?), the lights are poor (only one little table lamp except the ceiling neons in the female dorm.). Very poor installations to cook your own meal or just prepare some tea. In other hostels, for the same price, slippers were provided, tea always available and a real kitchen at hand. Quite old showers, though the water was always nicely warm.