Gojo Guest House Reviews

3-396-2 Gojobashihigashi, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto, Japan

Very nice place -traditional Japanese style. The futons were comfy and the eating area was great. Kitchen area was very small and no sofas but this wasn't a problem. The location was both good and bad - right next to the gion district but quite far from the station!

Excellent hostel experience. Free drink at the bar upon checkin. Perfect atmosphere for experiencing a traditional visit to Kyoto. Well done Gojo.

I've only stayed three days at Gojo Guesthouse but definitely wish I could have spent more time there! The atmosphere is quite unique, and sleeping on tatami and Japanese mattresses definitely adds to the charm of the place! There is a nice smell of wood upstairs that is quite surprising as well. The coffee shop on the first floor also sells some delicious breakfast and drinks! Best part is the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff members and the owner! Will hopefully go there again!

• 4th May 2015

If your after a traditional stay, this is the hostel for you. Clean and minutes away by foot to the kiyomizu dera temple, so you can easily visit the temple at sunrise. Good atmosphere and close to buses and subway station

A really good place to stay. Superb staff and really close to lots of temples. The walk from the station is an easy 20 minutes along the river. I stayed in the male 5 bed dorm, had lots of space and was really comfy. Great place. Stay here!

• 22nd Apr 2015

I've had 4 wonderful days in Kyoto, and it's also thanks to the Gojo Guest House! The guys and girls from the stuff are amazing, very nice, helpful (they gave me some good tips to visit the city). My best experience in a hostel until now, I will definitely stay there next time I vist Kyoto. Dear Nao, Miwa, Hiro, Su, Keita: thank you so much!

I enjoyed my stay in Gojo Guest House Kyoto very much. Japanese are generally not approachable but the staff were good in English, very knowledgeable in almost anything, so patient in answering all my queries, thus I enjoyed Kyoto very much and was able to explore its main attractions. I hope though that they install lockers in dorm rooms and also a separate doorgoing upstairs from the main cafe downstairs. I like that they were able to preserve the antiquity of the machiya.

An interesting tatami hat hostel which I believe was an old ryokan. There is a small cafe/bar on the ground floor and upstairs is all long parquet-floored corridors and old sliding wooden doors. Thd down side of that is that it's a bit dark and cramped in the public areas. It's within easy walking distance of Gion and Higasjiyama and a shortish walk and bus ride to the JR station. It can be easy to miss as the sign is for Gogo Cafe. They ought to mention that in the directions I think.

We found this place quite by luck because we were looking for last minute accommodation urgently in peak season. The staff were extremely friendly and it was a massive bonus that all spoke very good English after many days of struggling with the language barrier in other places. The facilities were great and gave us an authentic experience sleeping on the floor in communal settings was actually really awesome. Highly recommend it.

• 11th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Super nice atmosphere, lovely place, around the corner of geisha district. Met great people, would stay there again. Much better than khaosan!

Brilliant hostel with great staff. You get free drink coupon upon arrival. In between train station and main nightlife area. Note: sleeping on floor but comfy enough.

Very nice hostel. Great staff.

The staff was soo helpful, she even searched in the web and booked a night bus for me even when there was nothing available, she kept searching and found a spot for me :) Really professional and very kind. Lovely place, very cozy and it feels really traditional. I would love to stay there again..

Everything was perfect!!!

Certainly not the most comfortable or stylish place to stay during your time in Kyoto but I liked the traditional charm and appeal. Location is reasonable and the staff are friendly and helpful.

A great hostel w/o pretense. Has everything you could need from a hostel from helpful staff, tasty food (great breakfast), nice drinks etc etc. I had a really great time at Gojo, thank you!

• 12th Mar 2015

amazyn staff! awsome atmosphere, very traditional.

I had a really nice stay in Gojo. The staff were very friendly, we even got given a delicious plate of food one night out of nowhere which was very kind. Our room was spacious and well heated. The cafe downstairs is also the chill out area for the hostel which gives it a good buzz. The hostel is near a bus stop and 2 train stations, but most places are within walking distance anyway.

I loved my stay at Gojo. The chilled atmosphere was exactly what I wanted, and I enjoyed the opportunity to sleep on a futon and tatami mats (which was actually very comfortable!). Everything was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. However, there was no dry area in the shower cubicles, so changing was a bit of a pain. The kitchen wasn't extensive, but there are affordable dining options nearby. Public transport to the area wasn't amazing, but a lot of the sights were walking distance.

Good place, I would recommend.