Gojo Guest House Reviews

3-396-2 Gojobashihigashi, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto, Japan

I've had 4 wonderful days in Kyoto, and it's also thanks to the Gojo Guest House! The guys and girls from the stuff are amazing, very nice, helpful (they gave me some good tips to visit the city). My best experience in a hostel until now, I will definitely stay there next time I vist Kyoto. Dear Nao, Miwa, Hiro, Su, Keita: thank you so much!

An interesting tatami hat hostel which I believe was an old ryokan. There is a small cafe/bar on the ground floor and upstairs is all long parquet-floored corridors and old sliding wooden doors. Thd down side of that is that it's a bit dark and cramped in the public areas. It's within easy walking distance of Gion and Higasjiyama and a shortish walk and bus ride to the JR station. It can be easy to miss as the sign is for Gogo Cafe. They ought to mention that in the directions I think.

We found this place quite by luck because we were looking for last minute accommodation urgently in peak season. The staff were extremely friendly and it was a massive bonus that all spoke very good English after many days of struggling with the language barrier in other places. The facilities were great and gave us an authentic experience sleeping on the floor in communal settings was actually really awesome. Highly recommend it.

• 11th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Super nice atmosphere, lovely place, around the corner of geisha district. Met great people, would stay there again. Much better than khaosan!

Brilliant hostel with great staff. You get free drink coupon upon arrival. In between train station and main nightlife area. Note: sleeping on floor but comfy enough.

Very nice hostel. Great staff.

The staff was soo helpful, she even searched in the web and booked a night bus for me even when there was nothing available, she kept searching and found a spot for me :) Really professional and very kind. Lovely place, very cozy and it feels really traditional. I would love to stay there again..

Everything was perfect!!!

Certainly not the most comfortable or stylish place to stay during your time in Kyoto but I liked the traditional charm and appeal. Location is reasonable and the staff are friendly and helpful.

A great hostel w/o pretense. Has everything you could need from a hostel from helpful staff, tasty food (great breakfast), nice drinks etc etc. I had a really great time at Gojo, thank you!

• 12th Mar 2015

amazyn staff! awsome atmosphere, very traditional.

I had a really nice stay in Gojo. The staff were very friendly, we even got given a delicious plate of food one night out of nowhere which was very kind. Our room was spacious and well heated. The cafe downstairs is also the chill out area for the hostel which gives it a good buzz. The hostel is near a bus stop and 2 train stations, but most places are within walking distance anyway.

I loved my stay at Gojo. The chilled atmosphere was exactly what I wanted, and I enjoyed the opportunity to sleep on a futon and tatami mats (which was actually very comfortable!). Everything was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. However, there was no dry area in the shower cubicles, so changing was a bit of a pain. The kitchen wasn't extensive, but there are affordable dining options nearby. Public transport to the area wasn't amazing, but a lot of the sights were walking distance.

Good place, I would recommend.

Really cool hostel. Old Japanese style but still good facilities. Staff are super friendly, they took us out a few nights an showed us around. Close to everything you want to see in Kyoto. Would definitely stay again

Super vibe! Will be back!

A nice place to feel how ordinary Kyoto people live. The building is a traditional Japanese wooden house, while the cafe on the ground floor takes in a little old western style, the mixing of culture is very much like what I see in Kyoto. Every staff I meet was nice, and speaks good English. Stayed in the female dorm, comfortable enough for lone traveler like me. There is a shared kitchen area. The only down side is the toliet on 2nd floor is in old japanese style, better to renovated.

Very traditional Japanese Hostel with big and clean bathrooms. Staff were super nice and spoke very good English. Everything was perfect for me and it's one of the best hostels in the area! Would definitely come back again for sure!

I tried three hostel/hotel in kyoto and this is definitely the best one. The Japanese traditional style is amazing and I like the tatami a lot. great staff,good facilities.

I got some problems during my trip so that I write a mail to cancel my booking. It's so fast and nice to get reply by Gojo Guest House. It's my first time to cancel so suddenly. I feel so bad. But they are nice to welcome me. I definitely will go next time when I in Kyoto.