Gojo Guest House Reviews

3-396-2 Gojobashihigashi, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto, Japan

It was really cozy, and well maintained despite it being a really old building. The staff were really friendly and helpful, wish I had more time to get to know other travellers, but all in all, it was a really good experience living in this traditional machiya in the traditional town of kyoto. Couldnt do it any other way

Seriously loved this place. The vibes, decor, and staff were wonderful- the cafe is definitely a plus and I was a fan of how authentically Japanese the property felt. Great access to everywhere in Kyoto- highly recommend!

Lovely guest house, very comfortable rooms and lovely environment. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful! Showers and toilets were perfectly clean and comfortable to use. Rental bike was a nice touch as well, great way to get around Kyoto!

I absolutely loved it here! I booked this place sort of by accident and boy was I surprised! It has a cafe downstairs that I think adds to the charm. The staff was super nice and extremely helpful. I met some awesome people here. I can go on and on about this place! I definitely recommend it! I know I will be back.

The staff is really nice and kind. The kitchen is too small.

I had the most amazing time at Gojo guesthouse, and would highly recommend it to anyone travelling to Kyoto. The staff are all incredibly helpful, and the hostel was a perfect base to meet other travellers and just unwind after a big day. I stayed for four nights, but could easily have stayed for weeks more, and will definitely be coming back next time I visit Kyoto!

• 9th Jul 2015

I had an excellent experience at Gojo. The rooms were comfortable, the cafe was great, and I had some wonderful conversation with the staff (Miwa and Shiori). This hostel is very close to Kiyamisu, but far from some sights like Kinkaku-ji and Arashiyama. I highly recommend renting a bicycle. You cover a lot of ground and get some exercise; moreover, you don't miss out on the in-between sights--local shrines, restaurants, etc.--that are invisible to you if you use the subway to get around.

• 28th Jun 2015

A great place to stay, it's also a cafe so there's activity, actually had a nice live music show on my first night and you can use it as common place - we ended up cooking and eating alltoghether throughout the stay. The staff is amazingly helpful and nice. The rooms are big and clean. Loved it. Thanks for everything!

I had the best time in Japan in this hostel! Staff was super friendly... And great atmosphere! One night there was also live music on... In one word the best hostel in Japan.

Very good atmosphere, there are many travelers to mingle in the common area. The bar is also fantastic with a great selection. The staff is very helpful! The location is very close to metro station. There is nothing negative to say about this awesome hostel. I have already recommended this hostel to a friend and would do it to anyone else!

the best place to stay if you want to be in touch with the core of the city! very pleasant stay in Gojo's!

Everything about this hostel is fantastic. Relaxed vibe, friendly staff and great location to boot

Really nice and helpfull staff!

Very nice place -traditional Japanese style. The futons were comfy and the eating area was great. Kitchen area was very small and no sofas but this wasn't a problem. The location was both good and bad - right next to the gion district but quite far from the station!

Excellent hostel experience. Free drink at the bar upon checkin. Perfect atmosphere for experiencing a traditional visit to Kyoto. Well done Gojo.

I've only stayed three days at Gojo Guesthouse but definitely wish I could have spent more time there! The atmosphere is quite unique, and sleeping on tatami and Japanese mattresses definitely adds to the charm of the place! There is a nice smell of wood upstairs that is quite surprising as well. The coffee shop on the first floor also sells some delicious breakfast and drinks! Best part is the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff members and the owner! Will hopefully go there again!

• 4th May 2015

If your after a traditional stay, this is the hostel for you. Clean and minutes away by foot to the kiyomizu dera temple, so you can easily visit the temple at sunrise. Good atmosphere and close to buses and subway station

A really good place to stay. Superb staff and really close to lots of temples. The walk from the station is an easy 20 minutes along the river. I stayed in the male 5 bed dorm, had lots of space and was really comfy. Great place. Stay here!

• 22nd Apr 2015

I've had 4 wonderful days in Kyoto, and it's also thanks to the Gojo Guest House! The guys and girls from the stuff are amazing, very nice, helpful (they gave me some good tips to visit the city). My best experience in a hostel until now, I will definitely stay there next time I vist Kyoto. Dear Nao, Miwa, Hiro, Su, Keita: thank you so much!

I enjoyed my stay in Gojo Guest House Kyoto very much. Japanese are generally not approachable but the staff were good in English, very knowledgeable in almost anything, so patient in answering all my queries, thus I enjoyed Kyoto very much and was able to explore its main attractions. I hope though that they install lockers in dorm rooms and also a separate doorgoing upstairs from the main cafe downstairs. I like that they were able to preserve the antiquity of the machiya.