Gojo Guest House Reviews

3-396-2 Gojobashihigashi, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto, Japan

Beautiful little hostel run by really friendly staff who speak great English. Don't be put off by the Japanese style mattresses on the floor, they're really comfortable. Brilliant location with the Geisha district and Kiyomizu-dera temple in walking distance, and a bus stop round the corner to access the rest of the city. The bus system in Kyoto is great (day riders cost 500 yen) though it's a massive city so be warned it takes a while to get anywhere!

Nice location with helpful staff .

Very friendly and helpful staff. Place is clean since you have to remove your shoes before going to the sleeping areas. Clean linen and comfy futon. Good location to subway and tourist attractions. Recommend to take a bus to the location if you are going from Kyoto train station. Will definitely consider to return if I go Kyoto again.

• 24th May 2014
  • Singapore

Super helpful and friendly staff! And the hostel is very cozy that people who stay here would definitely feel at home.

Gojo guest house is a very comfortable place with many good people. I have just stayed there for two nights, but I actually want to stay there for more days.

Staff were very friendly and offered any help without even having to be asked. Being made from an old Japanese style house made it a very nice, rustic-like stay and experience :3

Amazing place - best we stayed in Japan by far. American -Japanese lady that works there is sooo sweet, helpful. Rest of the staff were just awesome and so helpful. She's also a really fast runner.

Pros: Nice and stylish common area, although not a lot of people were sitting there or hanging out. Bycicle rental, can drink/order some food with them. Pretty building, feels 'authenthic'. Cons: Room is basically nothing but six futons divided only by a small curtain with no privacy or space at all. Not enough poweplugs, no small lamps, no comfortable space for your own stuff. Floor creaks as you walk on it, and although it is a nice building, it also feels a bit run down.

The staff at Gojo is the best staff I have ever come across while traveling, they really went out of their ways to help me. I had to go to the hospital while I was in Kyoto; they helped me find an English speaking doctor, and the manager of the guesthouse accompanied me on both occasions I had to go to the hospital (which took hours), even on his day off. I would've been so lost if he hadn't stayed with me to translate. Additionally, the atmosphere at Gojo and its location are great

Different from cheap business hotel, but reformed from an old Ryokan over 100year(maybe?) I feel like being on time machine, traditional "Japanese style toilet" /sleeping on tatami/un lavabo... In female dorm there is something like curtain so you will have some privacy but still be able to talk to your neighbors (smile, I like meeting people). Warm staff telling me the up-to-date events going on in Kyoto, Japanese style old but clean facility makes me feel like home. I know I will come back