Gojo Guest House Reviews

3-396-2 Gojobashihigashi, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto, Japan

I swear there couldn't be a better, more worth-your-money guesthouse in a super ideal location, just a five-minute walk away from the heart of town/the subway map. English speaking staff, cafe in the ground floor... Plus the vibe/atmosphere/aesthetics of the place is just the best. Will stay here again the next time I'm visiting!

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Singapore

All three of us absolutely LOVED this hostel - especially the staff!!! we had such a good time in Kyoto. Tonnes of Sake, great conversations with the helpful and very genuine staff who are all now our friends :) highly recommend this place for your stay in a fantastic city! Much love! Nik, Kosta and Zen from Melbourne :)

As I non-smoker, the fact that smoking is allowed downstairs in the cafe/common area was really disappointing. It streamed upstairs into the female dorm, so much that my clothes and hair smelt of it after a busy night downstair and it was unpleasant to breath. It also meant that it was not comfortable to sit in the common area when guests or cafe customers were smoking. Great little hostel, fantastic staff, but the smoking element means I wouldn't go back.

Great hostel that is a great choice for anyone wanting to experience sleeping in futons on tatami mats. The place has been around for a while but has clean bathroom facilities and a nice common area that doubles as a bar. The staff is very friendly and welcoming.

Really nice guest house in Kyoto. The staff were very helpful and the facilities were very good. Thank you!

A truly, lovely hostel. The location is great, within walking distance to the beautiful Gion district and all the public transport links you could ever need to get to various parts of the city. The staff were amazing, incredibly helpful and extremely pleasant. The communal area is lovely and welcoming. I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely stay here again if ever I have the pleasure of visiting Kyoto again.

• 29th Oct 2014

Advantages: I like the Japanese style interior design and the bed. The staffs are very nice and willing to help me for the traveling problems. The bar is comfortable. Every corner is clean. The atmosphere is so comfortable and the price is reasonable. Disadvantage: sometimes people smoke on the first floor so the other guests will be affected by the smell of smoking even in the restrooms which are on the second floor. However, this was not a big deal for me and I really like this hostel.

One of the best hostel I`ve ever stayed. Beautiful building, good location, clean, the best staff ever. Definitely a place I would recommend to anybody who is spending more than one or two days in Kyoto, maybe on his own, and wants to get in touch with both locals and travellers.

• 9th Oct 2014

Nice, clean guesthouse, employee Miwa is super nice and helpful. Nice relaxed cafe vibe downstairs, if a little quiet. Beds were surprisingly comfortable.

Best guesthouse/hostel I've ever stayed at! The staff were friendly and had exquisite music taste so we got on really well. On my last night there, they made a feast for everyone because we were stuck indoors because of the typhoon. Comfortable bed and lots of facilities. Although its an old building, its kept very clean. When I'm back in Kyoto I will for sure be staying here again!

A really nice hostel. The staff were really cool and had some excellent dining/dranking suggestions. Bike hire is cheap and well convenient, definitely the best and cheapest way to see the Kyoto. Oh, and one last thing.... NOOOMMMMIIIIHHOOODDAAAIIIII

A really wonderful stay here! The staff are so amazing and helpful and the location is perfect. I really enjoyed my stay here and would come back again for sure!

Great hostel in gion, 5 minutes away from where you might spot geishas, with very friendly and fun staff. Great adress, would stay here again

• 16th Aug 2014
  • Luxembourg

One of my favourite stays in Japan. Great staff, very comfortable common space, a proper bar, everything is there to help you meet people and have a nice time. I highly recommend staying there, especially for people travelling alone.

The staff I met was really friendly and helpful. 5-bed female dorm is truly spacious and enjoyable. I haven't stayed in many hostels in Japan so far, but I guess such a spacious dorm should be rare. The problem ─ by my standard a big one ─ is their cleanliness. This is the least clean hostel I've ever stayed in Japan, and it proves not anywhere in Japan is always clean. One more thing, I think this is not a place for those who look for a quiet and cozy place to stay.

Nice location and helpful staff. The owner is very kind and sociable too and I remember having good chats with her! There's also a free drink upon arrival :)

Great location, great vibe, extremely friendly staff. The cafe downstairs is conducive to making new friends. I'm excited to go back to Kyoto just so I can stay there!

This is an amazing place to stay. You can experience traditional Japanese room and enjoy time with people around of the world. Enough facilities for you, friendly Staff and immediate response to your request.

Beautiful little hostel run by really friendly staff who speak great English. Don't be put off by the Japanese style mattresses on the floor, they're really comfortable. Brilliant location with the Geisha district and Kiyomizu-dera temple in walking distance, and a bus stop round the corner to access the rest of the city. The bus system in Kyoto is great (day riders cost 500 yen) though it's a massive city so be warned it takes a while to get anywhere!

Nice location with helpful staff .