Gojo Guest House Reviews

3-396-2 Gojobashihigashi, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto, Japan

I had a really nice stay in Gojo. The staff were very friendly, we even got given a delicious plate of food one night out of nowhere which was very kind. Our room was spacious and well heated. The cafe downstairs is also the chill out area for the hostel which gives it a good buzz. The hostel is near a bus stop and 2 train stations, but most places are within walking distance anyway.

I loved my stay at Gojo. The chilled atmosphere was exactly what I wanted, and I enjoyed the opportunity to sleep on a futon and tatami mats (which was actually very comfortable!). Everything was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. However, there was no dry area in the shower cubicles, so changing was a bit of a pain. The kitchen wasn't extensive, but there are affordable dining options nearby. Public transport to the area wasn't amazing, but a lot of the sights were walking distance.

Good place, I would recommend.

Super vibe! Will be back!

A nice place to feel how ordinary Kyoto people live. The building is a traditional Japanese wooden house, while the cafe on the ground floor takes in a little old western style, the mixing of culture is very much like what I see in Kyoto. Every staff I meet was nice, and speaks good English. Stayed in the female dorm, comfortable enough for lone traveler like me. There is a shared kitchen area. The only down side is the toliet on 2nd floor is in old japanese style, better to renovated.

Very traditional Japanese Hostel with big and clean bathrooms. Staff were super nice and spoke very good English. Everything was perfect for me and it's one of the best hostels in the area! Would definitely come back again for sure!

I tried three hostel/hotel in kyoto and this is definitely the best one. The Japanese traditional style is amazing and I like the tatami a lot. great staff,good facilities.

I got some problems during my trip so that I write a mail to cancel my booking. It's so fast and nice to get reply by Gojo Guest House. It's my first time to cancel so suddenly. I feel so bad. But they are nice to welcome me. I definitely will go next time when I in Kyoto.

I swear there couldn't be a better, more worth-your-money guesthouse in a super ideal location, just a five-minute walk away from the heart of town/the subway map. English speaking staff, cafe in the ground floor... Plus the vibe/atmosphere/aesthetics of the place is just the best. Will stay here again the next time I'm visiting!

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Singapore

All three of us absolutely LOVED this hostel - especially the staff!!! we had such a good time in Kyoto. Tonnes of Sake, great conversations with the helpful and very genuine staff who are all now our friends :) highly recommend this place for your stay in a fantastic city! Much love! Nik, Kosta and Zen from Melbourne :)

As I non-smoker, the fact that smoking is allowed downstairs in the cafe/common area was really disappointing. It streamed upstairs into the female dorm, so much that my clothes and hair smelt of it after a busy night downstair and it was unpleasant to breath. It also meant that it was not comfortable to sit in the common area when guests or cafe customers were smoking. Great little hostel, fantastic staff, but the smoking element means I wouldn't go back.

Great hostel that is a great choice for anyone wanting to experience sleeping in futons on tatami mats. The place has been around for a while but has clean bathroom facilities and a nice common area that doubles as a bar. The staff is very friendly and welcoming.

Really nice guest house in Kyoto. The staff were very helpful and the facilities were very good. Thank you!

A truly, lovely hostel. The location is great, within walking distance to the beautiful Gion district and all the public transport links you could ever need to get to various parts of the city. The staff were amazing, incredibly helpful and extremely pleasant. The communal area is lovely and welcoming. I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely stay here again if ever I have the pleasure of visiting Kyoto again.

• 29th Oct 2014

The staff are very nice Cute Ryokan hostel

• 26th Oct 2014
  • Thailand

Advantages: I like the Japanese style interior design and the bed. The staffs are very nice and willing to help me for the traveling problems. The bar is comfortable. Every corner is clean. The atmosphere is so comfortable and the price is reasonable. Disadvantage: sometimes people smoke on the first floor so the other guests will be affected by the smell of smoking even in the restrooms which are on the second floor. However, this was not a big deal for me and I really like this hostel.

One of the best hostel I`ve ever stayed. Beautiful building, good location, clean, the best staff ever. Definitely a place I would recommend to anybody who is spending more than one or two days in Kyoto, maybe on his own, and wants to get in touch with both locals and travellers.

• 9th Oct 2014

Nice, clean guesthouse, employee Miwa is super nice and helpful. Nice relaxed cafe vibe downstairs, if a little quiet. Beds were surprisingly comfortable.

Best guesthouse/hostel I've ever stayed at! The staff were friendly and had exquisite music taste so we got on really well. On my last night there, they made a feast for everyone because we were stuck indoors because of the typhoon. Comfortable bed and lots of facilities. Although its an old building, its kept very clean. When I'm back in Kyoto I will for sure be staying here again!

A really nice hostel. The staff were really cool and had some excellent dining/dranking suggestions. Bike hire is cheap and well convenient, definitely the best and cheapest way to see the Kyoto. Oh, and one last thing.... NOOOMMMMIIIIHHOOODDAAAIIIII